Pelle's Problem

tpbury

I am a self confessed overseas armchair fan but have watched most games live in the middle of the night.

I think Pelle's performance has dropped recently and I see a couple of reasons contributing to this, not necessarily his fault.

1) He is constantly penalised for 'backing in' when going for clearances from our defence.

2) He has often been penalised for high feet.

This is 'Crouch syndrome'. The high feet thing has affected his confidence and touch, meaning he's over thinking his first touch. Crouch, when younger, was forever being penalised simply for being tall, and the same thing seems to be happening to Pelle. I don't see this happening to Crouch more recently, but perhaps he's not being used in this role so much, thankfully I don't have to watch Stoke games to find out.

He now seems to anticipate being penalised for going for high balls and, justifiably, seems to go looking for the knock down more often - again a change in his natural game.

I don't know what he can do to get round this - perhaps refs have to get used to him for a season? I'm annoyed he can't seem to catch a break.

Anyway, thank god I have not heard any one say 'good feet for a big man' and I still think he's an excellent signing.

I am a self confessed overseas armchair fan but have watched most games live in the middle of the night.

I think Pelle's performance has dropped recently and I see a couple of reasons contributing to this, not necessarily his fault.

1) He is constantly penalised for 'backing in' when going for clearances from our defence.

2) He has often been penalised for high feet.

This is 'Crouch syndrome'. The high feet thing has affected his confidence and touch, meaning he's over thinking his first touch. Crouch, when younger, was forever being penalised simply for being tall, and the same thing seems to be happening to Pelle. I don't see this happening to Crouch more recently, but perhaps he's not being used in this role so much, thankfully I don't have to watch Stoke games to find out.

He now seems to anticipate being penalised for going for high balls and, justifiably, seems to go looking for the knock down more often - again a change in his natural game.

I don't know what he can do to get round this - perhaps refs have to get used to him for a season? I'm annoyed he can't seem to catch a break.

Anyway, thank god I have not heard any one say 'good feet for a big man' and I still think he's an excellent signing.

I reckon his form is just a bit off. Let's be honest, if he played as well as he can game in game out, he would play for a bigger club than Saints...

His problem is ... he's not someone else. (John Cooper Clarke). I'm sure it will all be forgiven if he takes off with a lingerie model (and scores twenty times a season). Mrs Sandwich saw him in the flesh today for the first time and she was 'disappointed' (and she's not even a lingerie model). Says he looks good on telly but he was a bit half-hearted today and his first touch was hit and miss, she expected more. She's been spoilt rotten that woman.

Before todays game Jose M instructed Terry to go down clutching his face early on against us, and vs Pelle, to plant the seed of doubt in the refs mind. Low and behold the next few times Pelle goes up for the ball vs Terry, Terry gets the benefit of the doubt. I actually think Pelle has had some very good games for us recently and has just about sussed out the prem. I get what you're saying though, it's the same with Wanyama, he uses his strength to win the ball and refs are constantly confusing this with foul play. Anyway, Pelle has great feet for a big man :)

I think you're right about Mourinho and his nasty sneaky tricks. His whole team were at it yesterday, flinging themselves to the ground at every opportunity and whining like cry-babies whenever a decision went against them, Fàbregas for example. It's not something that I ever want to see in the team I support. It reminds me of the dirty cheating Leeds team under Don Revie.

Before todays game Jose M instructed Terry to go down clutching his face early on against us, and vs Pelle, to plant the seed of doubt in the refs mind. Low and behold the next few times Pelle goes up for the ball vs Terry, Terry gets the benefit of the doubt. I actually think Pelle has had some very good games for us recently and has just about sussed out the prem. I get what you're saying though, it's the same with Wanyama, he uses his strength to win the ball and refs are constantly confusing this with foul play. Anyway, Pelle has great feet for a big man :)

Agree....he's physically strong and sizable unit who by standing his ground looks like he's fouling opponents. He got absolutely nothing off the ref today go the extent he couldn't compete for anything.....

I think you're right about Mourinho and his nasty sneaky tricks. His whole team were at it yesterday, flinging themselves to the ground at every opportunity and whining like cry-babies whenever a decision went against them, Fàbregas for example. It's not something that I ever want to see in the team I support. It reminds me of the dirty cheating Leeds team under Don Revie.

Yes, I agree.They may not have got the decision regarding the penalty, but plenty of others decisions went their way, which could have lead to a dangerous attack by us. Pelle was constantly penalised for being strong and beating Terry and Cahill in the air. He wasn't backing in; are we not allowed to challenge for the ball without Chelsea players whingeing to the ref? Apparently not.

You must be mistaken, they are a very honest team, they do not dive, they do not argue every decision, they do not try every trick in the book to con a referee, its all a conspiracy against them.

What you think you saw yesterday is different to what you actually saw. The Special One said so ;) :lol:

He gives a lot of fouls away yes, generally as he does back in and the movement of his arms to get into positions. Some are fouls, the majority arent but the ref always gives fouls like that. Yesterdays ref however was aweful, thankfully this advantaged us as we would have conceded a penalty.

Pellès two major problems are;

1. He tries too many flicks when he could hold the ball up allowing others to join him.

2. He lacks composure and snatches at shots far too often

pretty shocking how little he gets off ref's....unreal really

in many games, the CB will be all over him for pelle to be penalised

Rickie had the same problem.
I've thought the same all season, reminds me of what happened to Lambert so often, got no change or protection from officials at all, maybe because he was seen a big Centre Forward, but the amount a Centre Back can get away with against them is ridiculous.

On the one hand I love him on the other hand I wish Rickie Lambert was still here instead. Frustrating player, but then he delivers!

One aspect of his game that is poor is his initial control, and if I was Koeman all I'd do in training with him is make him receive high balls and hold them up. His first touch (if it's not on his chest) is generally disappointing - especially when he's needed to hold up the ball. He needs to work on that, I lost count how often he failed to take control of the ball against Chelsea. It's a skill Jay Rod has in spades and something Fonte does so well too. Pelle needs some training on how to take a ball.

.... Oh and at least make an effort for some of the headers!

Still, he's a bloody good player overall though.