Sexism in football...

Coxford_lou

Of course there would be. It's double standards and whilst this particular show is not that important, it's a symptom of our society. It's not the only culprit.

I am with you on this completely, and its very worthy of debate, but it is nothing to do with the topic of this thread

I am with you on this completely, and its very worthy of debate, but it is nothing to do with the topic of this thread

It's entirely relevant to this thread. Either Sexism in all its forms is wrong or it isn't. I am just as offended by the message in take me out that objectification is something to be encouraged and celebrated as lou is by chants about tits.

Take me out in all its glory.

Just look at the girls salivating at the start and then turning off before he really spoke about himself..blah blah blah

Ah I get it now. It is a post sexist ironic attempt to turn the objectification of the sexes on its head and make the male of the species the sexual object! :)

I still don't get how this piece of trashy TV has anything to do with a bunch of blokes on football terraces or a building site thinking it is okay to shout offensive comments at women?

It's entirely relevant to this thread. Either Sexism in all its forms is wrong or it isn't. I am just as offended by the message in take me out that objectification is something to be encouraged and celebrated as lou is by chants about tits.

So when you make a judgement about someone that you either want to date or not - that is a sexist thing? People fancy each other or they don't. People play the dating/mating game all the time. Darwin knew a thing or two about it. I am not sure it has anything to do with chanting Get Your Tits Out For The Lads at someone who is on a pitch being paid to do a professional job.

At the risk of sounding racist, you are trying to make something that is not black and white fit neatly into a pigeonhole. You are perfectly entitled to feel offended by Take Me Out as a sexist show. The fact that society as a whole seem to think it is a bit of harmless cr*p would seem to put you in a very small minority. The fact that a larger number of people think that chanting Get Your Tits Out For The Lads is wrong makes it a bigger issue. To say that the show is the cause of the terrace chanting misses the point by a mile.

And there are plenty of other dumb TV shows of this genre. Here another:

http://youtu.be/jhyo8fQQDFk

But I'm not complaining about dumb TV shows where the objective is to humiliate people for the benefit of a baying audience. I could, but I'm not.

I'm talking about a professional doctor, doing her job, while being shouted to get her tits out, and worse.

I'm really confused how you can't see the difference.

Now if you want to start up a different debate about how advertisers or TV makers have started going in the opposite direction, and objectifying men (see also the coke ads) as some kind of play on tradition, and this is a concerning development with neither positive outcome for men or women, I'd be happy to get into a discussion with you on that, and I'd be in agreement. My concerns wouldnt match the concerns I have around sexism towards women, because it's a recent development, rather than something in grained in public psyche for decades, but I'd still be concerned could evolve into that, and that it makes the women look as dumb as the men.

At the risk of sounding racist, you are trying to make something that is not black and white fit neatly into a pigeonhole. You are perfectly entitled to feel offended by Take Me Out as a sexist show. The fact that society as a whole seem to think it is a bit of harmless cr*p would seem to put you in a very small minority. The fact that a larger number of people think that chanting Get Your Tits Out For The Lads is wrong makes it a bigger issue. To say that the show is the cause of the terrace chanting misses the point by a mile.

Again, I didn't say it was the cause. Stop putting words in my mouth.

But this is not a thread about sexism in all its forms. There is a case for wider debate, but this thread is on a specific type of offensive sexual abuse. To try to put it your way, there is a huge difference between your 20 something son , or daughter, choosing to go on Take Me Out and all that entails, and your 20 something daughter being a doctor, trying to treat a sportsman on a field of play, and being on the receiving end of a mob of men chanting sexual abuse at her. I would be amazed if any parent would treat these two events as the same.

But this is not a thread about sexism in all its forms. There is a case for wider debate, but this thread is on a specific type of offensive sexual abuse. To try to put it your way, there is a huge difference between your 20 something son , or daughter, choosing to go on Take Me Out and all that entails, and your 20 something daughter being a doctor, trying to treat a sportsman on a field of play, and being on the receiving end of a mob of men chanting sexual abuse at her. I would be amazed if any parent would treat these two events as the same.

Surely the Sexism in football needs to be put in context and we need to discuss where it comes from? My view is that Sexist shows like take me out contribute to Sexism in society and are one reason why the tits chant occurs.

Again, I didn't say it was the cause. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Buy you say there is a link between the two. There is a link between some national red top tabloid newspapers printing topless pictures of woman everyday and blokes who think it is okay to chant asking woman to expose themselves but I still fail to see a link between a really cr@p TV show (and thanks for reminding how bad it is with that clip Batman) and what goes on with the chanting. Take Me Out is about a bunch of young people gagging for their 15 minutes of fame on a purile TV show. I doubt very much if anyone holds a gun to these peoples heads and I am sure we all know people who would love to go and show off on TV like this. I would defy anyone to watch this show and then feel the need to go and shout at a woman to expose herself.

Is the show sexist? Would people get upset if there was a single woman and not a bloke on the stand? I really don't think it is about that to be honest. The thought never crossed my mind - I was more thinking about who on Earth really thought that the inane phrase No Likey No Lighty was an acceptable catchphrase! Is the point of the show to use men as sex objects or it is to show up a bunch of preening narcissists for what they are and have a laugh in the process?

I am sorry Hypo but I think you have chosen a poor example here.

I would also ask this question. Why are you getting hung up with a show that others on here seem to think is cr@p but has nothing to do with chanting a on terrace to someone who is only doing their job?

Surely the Sexism in football needs to be put in context and we need to discuss where it comes from? My view is that Sexist shows like take me out contribute to Sexism in society and are one reason why the tits chant occurs.

Okay, you seem to hung up on this show. Help me out here. What is it on this show that you think makes some blokes on terraces think it is ok to chant for women doing their jobs to expose themselves or other offensive chanting?

Ffs sog how many times do I have to say it isn't a direct link, it plays a part in encouraging Sexism in society and therefore the Sexism on display at the football. I really don't think it's too difficult to get your head round. Feel free to move on now if you still don't understand.

Ok no need to get upset. I am guessing that crowds at rugby, cricket and tennis matches are exposed to the media and programmes like this. Can you explain why they don't chant obscene chants at woman or chants for them to expose their breasts?

Ok no need to get upset. I am guessing that crowds at rugby, cricket and tennis matches are exposed to the media and programmes like this. Can you explain why they don't chant obscene chants at woman or chants for them to expose their breasts?

Is it a fact they don't?

No idea. Perhaps the average football fan is more susceptible to Sexism in the media.

Ffs sog how many times do I have to say it isn't a direct link, it plays a part in encouraging Sexism in society and therefore the Sexism on display at the football. I really don't think it's too difficult to get your head round. Feel free to move on now if you still don't understand.

So you're in agreement all along? Great!

Is it a fact they don't?

I really don't know Batman but cannot recall anything. Hypo - I am not saying this attitude doesn't come from somewhere, but there is a certain type of person who thinks it is ok. I agree that papers like The Sport and Sun have fed into this. I am not sure a show like Take Me Out is sexist in the way you mean or causes this behaviour though.

It is wrong wherever it happens and it may or may not be more prevalent amongst football crowds. I think we are talking about it here because it is a football site and that is our point of reference. We have also discussed Page 3 on other threads. Yes I agree there is a problem in society and yes it needs to be dealt with (and The Sun have covered up their "lovelies" so that is a start) but it needs to be dealt with as it happens too. Big strides are being taken to kick racism out of football. That needs to apply to sexism too. If someone is thrown out for making a racist comment throw them out for singing GYTOFTL too. Every journey starts with the first step.

Well at least one persons got the point I was making.

Okay I am sure we get it. Although I still don't think the show is particularly a good example can you explain to us why there seems to be more racism, sexism and general discriminatory behaviour amongst blokes who go to football. If we all subjected to this kind of stimulus why do so many men not behave this way? What makes a bloke at a football match think it is ok to sing get em out for the lads at a football match but the same bloke at a cricket match or tennis match in the same circumstances wouldn't dream of doing it?

Okay I am sure we get it. Although I still don't think the show is particularly a good example can you explain to us why there seems to be more racism, sexism and general discriminatory behaviour amongst blokes who go to football. If we all subjected to this kind of stimulus why do so many men not behave this way? What makes a bloke at a football match think it is ok to sing get em out for the lads at a football match but the same bloke at a cricket match or tennis match in the same circumstances wouldn't dream of doing it?

Maybe the latent effects of Sexism in society are more likely to come out with a group of blokes at the football?

Maybe the latent effects of Sexism in society are more likely to come out with a group of blokes at the football?

Yep you said that before, but why do you think that is? Why do some people think it is acceptable there but not elsewhere? These same blokes have read the Sun for years and watched Take Me Out yet they know that in certain circumstances they need to moderate their instinct to make offensive chants. That says to me they know it isn't actually acceptable yet put them in a football ground and it becomes perfectly acceptable?

It's very simple. The average IQ of a football fan is far less than those of other sports.

It turns out that thick people have more of a propensity to be sexist or racist.

Simples.

It's very simple. The average IQ of a football fan is far less than those of other sports.

It turns out that thick people have more of a propensity to be sexist or racist.

Simples.

Glad we have sorted that out then Jeff. I can watch The Big Painting Challenge safe in the knowledge we have cracked it! :D

Glad we have sorted that out then Jeff. I can watch The Big Painting Challenge safe in the knowledge we have cracked it! :D

I know it's a very simplistic theory to put across, but do you ACTUALLY disagree?

I bet the blokes who shout 'Nice Tits' at Lou aren't Doctors, or Lawyers, or Actuary's.

The only thing Ive learned from this thread is that lou has nice tits, which is a shame, I think

Chants are made up at football in an effort to be humorous, unfortunately a lot of the time it ends up being offensive, and not humorous. I imagine its because its a male dominated sport with historically little female participation which has changed recently.

Sexism in society is a different matter but Id argue that most prejudices seem to be fading thankfully.

Id take it as a compliment... Well.. I wouldnt personally, Id probably punch someone in the face but you get my point.

As for the chants at football Id say it was an attempt at banter and isnt anything at all prejudiced as such, just misplaced attempts at humour. 'Get your tits out for the lads' was probably slightly funny once, for about 10 seconds. Its neither original or funny now which is why its sung by morons. I wouldnt say because of this chant that football is sexist though.

As for the chants at football Id say it was an attempt at banter and isnt anything at all prejudiced as such, just misplaced attempts at humour. 'Get your tits out for the lads' was probably slightly funny once, for about 10 seconds. Its neither original or funny now which is why its sung by morons. I wouldnt say because of this chant that football is sexist though.

There's nothing there that I disagree with.

Des Kelly writing in the Standard tonight, ref the video of abuse to Eva C. "I cant repeat the horrible sexist abuse without wearing out the asterix key, but no one should have to put up with this revolting idiocy in a civilised country. Apologists say: Its Banter, innit? Thats a pathetic cop out, its criminal behaviour and should be stamped out"

The only thing Ive learned from this thread is that lou has nice tits, which is a shame, I think

Why's it a shame she has a nice pair, surely its a good thing.

She'll have more men to choose from, get more attention and it'll help her get on in life. Never underestimate what a decent pair of tits can do for a girl.

Des Kelly writing in the Standard tonight, ref the video of abuse to Eva C. "I cant repeat the horrible sexist abuse without wearing out the asterix key, but no one should have to put up with this revolting idiocy in a civilised country. Apologists say: Its Banter, innit? Thats a pathetic cop out, its criminal behaviour and should be stamped out"

To be fair, I don't think anyone has said that stuff wasn't out of order.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just seen the West Ham Lass and others pages I despair for the poor people trying to get sexism out of football. Sometimes women are their own worst enemy. No wonder you still get GYTOFTL when there are clearly a number of young women happy to do just that online. What must go though your mind when you teams win that makes you want to flash you lady parts to people you would normally probably cross the road to avoid. All very public spirited I am sure but it doesn't help those who want to be seen as more than a bit of fluff.

Having just seen the West Ham Lass and others pages I despair for the poor people trying to get sexism out of football. Sometimes women are their own worst enemy. No wonder you still get GYTOFTL when there are clearly a number of young women happy to do just that online. What must go though your mind when you teams win that makes you want to flash you lady parts to people you would normally probably cross the road to avoid. All very public spirited I am sure but it doesn't help those who want to be seen as more than a bit of fluff.

Many would argue it is a lot more empowering for women to be able to do what they want. If some woman wants to get her norks out then I support it!

Surely that's anti-sexism though, the fact that these girls can do what they want and celebrate in the way that they see fit?

People doing what they want to isnt the same as being berated by morons asking them to do what the morons want soggy

She should be given a medal for this service

People doing what they want to isnt the same as being berated by morons asking them to do what the morons want soggy

it prob started with a GYTOFTL. That's prob where she got the idea! The GYTOFTL brigade work on premise, that if you buy enough tickets, eventually you win lottery. Stands to reason!