Sexism in football...

Coxford_lou

I used to have to visit a newspaper wholesaler around the corner from the old Den (WH Smiths). I had to wear a suit. I often had lunch in a pub there that was full of old dockers and I stood out like a sore thumb - they probably thought I was Old Bill. Very scary.

It's like going back in time. The game was quite an experience! My boyfriend at the time was sh*t scared. (Bloody wimp). Obviously I couldn't cheer Saints goals (and I wouldn't do that anyway) but I wasn't going to pretend I was supporting Millwall, dammit. But oh my god, I was ready to burst when we scored the winner. Had to walk in silence until away from the stadium before I could scream. Was so jealous of the away fans that night. What a game!

I've never seen so many white, bald, beer bellied men in a such a small vicinity before. (Well, other than Coxford ;) )

I know some really decent people who support Millwall and when I tell them about the terrible reputation some of their fans have they just don't get it. I can only assume that, if there is a posh part of the ground that is where they sit.

Being a Londoner by birth I usually feel ok when I go there but the one place I have felt really scared in the middle of the day was in Deptford High Street.

Anyone watch 'Take me Out'?

What a ridiculously sexist program, objectifying a bloke for entertainment. Similar to Man 'o' Man when that was on. And at primetime on a major channel. Disgusting.

I think we need to start complaining, get this filth off tv.

Oh Jeff. Really? Guys chose to be on the show. It's a dating show. I've never seen a guy not look like he's having fun.

You're including that as an example to counter the experience suffered by professional women doing their jobs while being called a sl*g. Really?

Oh Jeff. Really? Guys chose to be on the show. It's a dating show. I've never seen a guy not look like he's having fun.

You're including that as an example to counter the experience suffered by professional women doing their jobs while being called a sl*g. Really?

I didn't want to start ANOTHER thread on sexism, so wanted to add it to this. However, if you want to carry on discussing the football thing you still haven't answered WHY you find the above sexist and offensive.

But, if you want to discuss the last post, you don't think the program is sexist in any way?

I didn't want to start ANOTHER thread on sexism, so wanted to add it to this. However, if you want to carry on discussing the football thing you still haven't answered WHY you find the above sexist and offensive.

But, if you want to discuss the last post, you don't think the program is sexist in any way?

Oh Jeff, I'm confused! I think the show is dumb on every single level. I think it's equally demeaning of the men and the women on the show. A TV company taking advantage of the participants desire for fame. But none seem to mind, so I don't think it something to get upset over.

I didn't watch the show tonight. Was there something offensive on it that was out of the ordinary?

I didn't watch the show tonight. Was there something offensive on it that was out of the ordinary?

I don't think you missed anything, it's an appalling piece of television, aimed at 19 year old chavs, it is horrendous. Maybe I'm old already, but I can't stand it, bloody awful. I'm ashamed Jeff even watched it! Did I mention I think it's rubbish? ;)

I don't think you missed anything, it's an appalling piece of television, aimed at 19 year old chavs, it is horrendous. Maybe I'm old already, but I can't stand it, bloody awful. I'm ashamed Jeff even watched it! Did I mention I think it's rubbish? ;)

Not half as bad as the film I'm watching right now - Let's Be Cops. Yikes!

Oh Jeff, I'm confused! I think the show is dumb on every single level. I think it's equally demeaning of the men and the women on the show. A TV company taking advantage of the participants desire for fame. But none seem to mind, so I don't think it something to get upset over.

You're confused? The Chelsea physio didn't seem bothered by what the United fans were shouting at her either, so does that make it ok then?

Nope, nothing out of the ordinary in the time I saw it (last 15 minutes), I'm just surprised we're allowed to show stuff like this at primetime, and i wonder why not more a fuss is made about it, that's all.

It was just on whilst I was doing the washing up - I was pretty appalled that a television show like that is allowed to be shown on TV, and there hasnt been more made about it's sexist nature.

You're confused? The Chelsea physio didn't seem bothered by what the United fans were shouting at her either, so does that make it ok then?

Nope, nothing out of the ordinary in the time I saw it (last 15 minutes), I'm just surprised we're allowed to show stuff like this at primetime, and i wonder why not more a fuss is made about it, that's all.

Your criteria for looking bothered is? A tear? A snarl?

Haven't seen the show you are getting in a lather about.

Your criteria for looking bothered is? A tear? A snarl?

Haven't seen the show you are getting in a lather about.

Any negative reaction whatsoever,and I'm not getting in a 'lather' about anything, it's others that are...I'm just trying to point out the hypocrisy on this thread.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Any negative reaction whatsoever,and I'm not getting in a 'lather' about anything, it's others that are...I'm just trying to point out the hypocrisy on this thread.

Wome learn to not react and not draw attention to themselves and make it worse, from a pretty young age.

Look at Sian Massey's reaction in this clip. She smiles. Does that mean it was acceptable, or that she liked it?

PS. You've not pointed out, or even clarified what you think the hypocrisy is on this thread. That might be a good starting place, so I can understand what you mean.

Were the crowd and girls all chanting for him to get his c*ck out?

So you think Take Me Out is as bad / no better than the video clip of the abuse being shouted at the Chelsea physio? One is a game show where everyone knows what is going to happen and no one gets abuse shouted at them. The other one is a doctor treating an injury at a football match being abused by large numbers of men. Wow

Anyone watch 'Take me Out'?

martinprince_zpsjdy1nd7t.jpg

gr8 show! v.equality! I mean, it starts off sexist on men, as the bro walks out and birds take one look at his package and unflick their bean, but then at the end, he normally gets to objectify them back, and discard the token Fat One. What is ur beef with that? This is the Equality we have been fighting for!

Not half as bad as the film I'm watching right now - Let's Be Cops. Yikes!

gr8 movie! v.funny! It would have been better if the weight & traditions of the Badge had led them to start shooting up homeless people & blacks, but otherwise it was Good! I like that one guy, Jake Johnson, I think he has a Natural Charm :thumbup:

martinprince_zpsjdy1nd7t.jpg

gr8 show! v.equality! I mean, it starts off sexist on men, as the bro walks out and birds take one look at his package and unflick their bean, but then at the end, he normally gets to objectify them back, and discard the token Fat One. What is ur beef with that? This is the Equality we have been fighting for!

Have you been on it Bearsy?!

gr8 movie! v.funny! It would have been better if the weight & traditions of the Badge had led them to start shooting up homeless people & blacks, but otherwise it was Good! I like that one guy, Jake Johnson, I think he has a Natural Charm :thumbup:

Hmm. Yes.

I just kept waiting for Zooey Deschanel to pop up and say "hey guys, whatya doing?" Never happened.

Have you been on it Bearsy?!

no if i was on that show & birds was turning off their lights i would go into a mental face-punching frenzy, like KRG

Here Is A Troll Question For You:

Do you think that girls and women enjoy any privileges or advantages that are attributable to to their being female?

Include this in ur answer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31751672

Wome learn to not react and not draw attention to themselves and make it worse, from a pretty young age.

Look at Sian Massey's reaction in this clip. She smiles. Does that mean it was acceptable, or that she liked it?

So how do you know the men and women on Take me Out aren't feeling it inside then?

I think she may have found it amusing. Considering she's spent her whole life in and around football, she has probably learnt to deal with it to the point that she finds the comments funny, as banter let's say. Or, she just found it amusing.

no if i was on that show & birds was turning off their lights i would go into a mental face-punching frenzy, like KRG

Here Is A Troll Question For You:

Do you think that girls and women enjoy any privileges or advantages that are attributable to to their being female?

Include this in ur answer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31751672

Yes, I do think so. I'd not seen that article before, but I do think the current educational system with emphasis on coursework rather than exams, is in favour of girls. And I don't necessarily think that's a good thing - boys under performing could have all kinds of future implications. There needs to be a happy balance. That said, we're still massively behind in terms of girls studying the sciences (follow Alice Roberts on Twitter, who frequently discusses). I'm in the creative industry which has a big shortage of woman - whereas at degree level it's about 50/50. Sports - so many girls involved at school, but then they disappear. What happens? They are all complex issues without easy answers. But at the moment, the emphasis on women isn't to give them 'advantages', it's because there is something wrong in the first place.

Why do we have so many car ads with a random lady in a bikini? Because the majory of the ad industry is male. This will be the big change over the next generation because the advertisers are figuring out their demographics, and where the money is: women.

I feel very positive about the direction this is heading, because I think many people (men and women) are starting to recognise the issue (well not so many on here, but OK!) the world is changing, and even football will be a part of that. And that doesn't necessarily go against the interests of white working class men - they're not the problem isn't the first place, and a group that actually needs a bit of standing up for in their own right.

Sorry, I've rambled. And I'm certainly no expert on this topic. Oh and I hope you haven't scared KRG off from contributing to topics like this. That will make me very sad (and I'll blame you Bear!!!)

So are you suggesting that the crowd reaction would have been different in that clip had the official been male? Because all I can see is people cheering because she fell over and the exact same thing happens to men at the football.

PS. You've not pointed out, or even clarified what you think the hypocrisy is on this thread. That might be a good starting place, so I can understand what you mean.

Ok here goes:

- The fact that we are making a massive deal out of sexism, but no-one seems bothered about the other type of abuse that goes on at football, which I have tried to raise a number of times.

- Men being criticised by yourself for not showing empathy and understanding women's plight, yet you can't/weren't prepared to do it the other way round.

- The fact that we are happy to criticise a small amount of men who chant some stupid (and some pretty horrible) abuse at football, yet no-one actually seems to have a problem with a primetime tv show, watched by millions and obviously not helping, which is inherently sexist.

- Men saying how sexist all this is, yet I guarantee those same men have whacked off to p0rn at some point, without thinking how sexist it is.

- The fact that we've given examples of women that don't feel badly done by in a sexist nature, but that seems to be brushed under the carpet as a minority, whereas I think it's the other way round.

- The numerous questions I have asked, trying to get people to explain why someone singing 'Get your tits out for the lad's is actually offensive. Crass and immature yes, but offensive, not so much.

If I had time I would read through and try to find more examples, as I'm sure there are, but I'm taking my little girl to Legoland.

Take Me Out is a dreadful show but is it any more demeaning than X Factor, Britains Got Talent or The Voice? I don't think that is is particularly sexist other than perhaps they ought to alternate so you have a woman choosing males too? It is just a dating show in which someone gets chosen. If it was called Dump The Munter things might be different.

So you think Take Me Out is as bad / no better than the video clip of the abuse being shouted at the Chelsea physio? One is a game show where everyone knows what is going to happen and no one gets abuse shouted at them. The other one is a doctor treating an injury at a football match being abused by large numbers of men. Wow

No, I didn't say that, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than men shouting 'Get your tits out for the lads' imo.

So, if we know its going to happen, is that OK then? I bet the physio and most women in football know they're going to get these chants (the tits one for example) before they go on the pitch. That's OK then I susuppose? It's the ***** one that is out of order because she's not prepared for it?

So how do you know the men and women on Take me Out aren't feeling it inside then?

I think she may have found it amusing. Considering she's spent her whole life in and around football, she has probably learnt to deal with it to the point that she finds the comments funny, as banter let's say. Or, she just found it amusing.

You've still not told me the relevance of Take Me Out on this topic?

Jeff, I'm struggling with you on this. This is a complex topic with no right or wrong answers. But your determination to follow one trail of thought without any capability of listening to, considering, or empathising with the crux of the issue, while throwing in the oddest defences of your point of view is a bit too much for me to get my head around.

Turkish called me a "dopy cow" (sic) for thinking otherwise, but I'm not treating this as argument for winning. I'm just putting a point of view out there that may or make not make people think, or view things from a different perspective. If you want to not do that, you're very welcome. But drawing me into an argument to prove me wrong, isn't going to happen.

Why do we have so many car ads with a random lady in a bikini?

I'm not sure that we do! Please post them here, or on the wanking thread in muppet show :thumbup:

Oh and I hope you haven't scared KRG off from contributing to topics like this. That will make me very sad (and I'll blame you Bear!!!)

yeah this is fair, i will Never Mention It Again :(

I have no fixed position on all this, or pretty much anything, I am v.easily persuadable and change like the wind every time a dumb thought goes through my head. It is often said, that had Bearsy fought in the great war, he would have spent half his time shooting in the wrong direction. I'm thinking right now that if the worst thing we have to worry about is hurt feelings, we're doing pretty good, but on the other hand, i can see it is bad and we may as well Kick It Out if we can.

My main gripe tho, and why I'm bit resistant to this stuff + racism, is that it always seems to be Football being singled out, and this smacks a bit of what pap would call Media Agenda Against The Working Classes. The Villa Park pitch invasion is case in point.

Edited by Bearsy

Ok here goes:

- The fact that we are making a massive deal out of sexism, but no-one seems bothered about the other type of abuse that goes on at football, which I have tried to raise a number of times.

- Men being criticised by yourself for not showing empathy and understanding women's plight, yet you can't/weren't prepared to do it the other way round.

- The fact that we are happy to criticise a small amount of men who chant some stupid (and some pretty horrible) abuse at football, yet no-one actually seems to have a problem with a primetime tv show, watched by millions and obviously not helping, which is inherently sexist.

- Men saying how sexist all this is, yet I guarantee those same men have whacked off to p0rn at some point, without thinking how sexist it is.

- The fact that we've given examples of women that don't feel badly done by in a sexist nature, but that seems to be brushed under the carpet as a minority, whereas I think it's the other way round.

- The numerous questions I have asked, trying to get people to explain why someone singing 'Get your tits out for the lad's is actually offensive. Crass and immature yes, but offensive, not so much.

If I had time I would read through and try to find more examples, as I'm sure there are, but I'm taking my little girl to Legoland.

Ok, quick answer, then I gotta go.

1. We're making a big deal, because some campaigners have raised the issue. Just because there are other problems does mean this one isn't worthy. One at a time Jeff.

2. Not 'men', jeff. You. Show me an example where I've not showed empathy? It's the one thing I do by default.

3. If women working on the game are saying it's an issue, and they show a couple of examples to illustrate, by default you should be wanting to find out more, rather than dismissing their complaints as 'one offs' and 'I haven't experienced it'. I still don't understand the relevance of Take Me Out, that show is bloody awful on all levels. But it's also very scripted, and most people who appear on it, are looking for fame, not a partner.

4. I don't have an issue with porn.

5. People giving examples of women who don't think its an issue - I have no information about the context of their lives. But enough women publically complain about the issue for them to be taken seriously. This isn't a numbers competition. One example is enough.

6. 'Get your tits out for the lads' as an isolated chant could be viewed as mildly amusing, or not. I like football humour. If it were sung to me on mass, I'd probably laugh. But a young girl, first job in the industry, running onto the pitch, might be really embarrassed at hearing that sung at her. She shouldn't have to put up with it. You're trying to protect an antiquated way of thinking. And the trouble is, these things are rarely isolated. Look at the Richard Keys stuff. Listen to the individuals in the crowd who took it to the next step. Thats the culture we're nurturing here.

Blimey Jeff, where to start?

There is a lot wrong with football, sexism being just one thing and the thing we are talking about here. But there is something about the game that attracts a thuggish, brutish element do you agree? When you are bothered about wearing your teams coliurs for fear of getting a punch in the face there must be something going wrong at a very fundamental level. It is full of racists, sexists, tribailists etc etc. I think many crowds are full of people with personality disorders who find some kind of release at a game or by following their club but that is a whole different thread. We have talked about other types of abuse on this forum.

To be frank how can a man have empathy for a woman. We clearly do not understand how they feel even if we think we do. It is a clear fact that men and women are wried differently - Read Woman are from Venus, Men are from Mars to get a handle on the differences. I think the point is we need to listen and to try and understand rather then just say it was just a bit of banter so why are you even getting upset.

I really cant see the link between a crap TV show and mindless chanting at a football match. It is a dating show and is just trying to turn something that goes on all the time (in bars, clubs, internet dating sites etc) - people trying to pull. To me it is X Factor - is that Voiceist?

You will always get some people who say that a certain thing does not bother them but you have to look at the numbers. There are far more people offended than not. Many people with eating disorders or esteem issues because they are made to feel unattractive as they don't confirm to the norm.

Porn is an interesting one. It has been around for a very long time. People masturbating over images or over fantasies. Is that sexism or just basic sexual activity. Are you saying if a bloke fancy a woman and has sex with her that is sexism? Woman (and men) sell images of themselves all of the time that other use for gratification. I am sure that picture of Beckham in his undercrackers fuelled many a fantasy in both females and males. Is it wrong? Just human nature surely. It is human nature to go round being offensive about someone elses sexuality - yes in some and that is what we saying isn't right.

Singing Get your tits out for the lads is cleary saying that the object of the chant is there to serve one purpose and that is to provide a boorish bunch of testosterone fuelled blokes with sexual gratification. If said person was a pole dancer and made a living out of getting her baps out that is her choice. If someone walks onto a football pitch in a professional capacity and is told to get her breasts out that is sexual harassment surely?

One more thing Jeff. Lets say you have a daughter. She becomes a physio and gets a job with SFC. You as her pround Dad go along to her first match. 30 minutes in and Pelle gets crocked. It is a proud moment for you as your daughter runs on to the pitch to do the job she has trained hard for. As soon as she steps on to the pitch the crowd strike up with " Get your tits out for the lads." Would you sing along or would you feel sick and embarrassed for her?

I'm not sure that we do! Please post them here, or on the wanking thread in muppet show :thumbup:

yeah this is fair, i will Never Mention It Again :(

I have no fixed position on all this, or pretty much anything, I am v.easily persuadable and change like the wind every time a dumb thought goes through my head. It is often said, that had Bearsy fought in the great war, he would have spent half his time shooting in the wrong direction. I'm thinking right now that if the worst thing we have to worry about is hurt feelings, we're doing pretty good, but on the other hand, i can see it is bad and we may as well Kick It Out if we can.

My main gripe tho, and why I'm bit resistant to this stuff + racism, is that it always seems to be Football being singled out, and this smacks a bit of what pap would call Media Agenda Against The Working Classes. The Villa Park pitch invasion is case in point.

I agree with Pap on that. But I don't think this is that. You only have to hear Cameron say "calm down, dear" to realise this is a classless issue.

Look, I love bad behaviour, I love bad jokes, I love football banter, I love blokes. But football is not an exclusive club, nothing should ever be, and women should be allowed to do their job without getting abuse, or intimidation. No one needs to feel bad about this, or feel they're being attacked, but we should alway listen other people's experiences, and learn, and adapt.

I think the point of take me out is that it objectifies men and women and perpetuates negative stereotypes in society in the same way it could be argued as some blokes at the football singing get youe tits out.

Sorry Hypo get I don't get that connection at all. How is making a pr*t of yourself on TV in anyway shape of form like standing in front of hundreds of men with them chanting to expose your breasts? We agree it is a rubbish show but it is born out of the dating game which is very different to the pack mentality you get at football (or building sites etc) where blokes think it is perfectly ok to ask a woman to expose herself to them. If the show was called Get Them Out you would have a comparison.

Sorry Hypo get I don't get that connection at all. How is making a pr*t of yourself on TV in anyway shape of form like standing in front of hundreds of men with them chanting to expose your breasts? We agree it is a rubbish show but it is born out of the dating game which is very different to the pack mentality you get at football (or building sites etc) where blokes think it is perfectly ok to ask a woman to expose herself to them. If the show was called Get Them Out you would have a comparison.

Seems obvious to me. The chanting is at least partly inspired or viewed as acceptable by those doing the chanting because of the stereotyping of gender (women subservient to men and there for the pleasure of men etc.) take me out also stereotypes gender and contributes to a wider society where the truly offensive chanting is seen as acceptable.

So you are saying that shows like Take Me Out make people feel it is okay to chant at woman and ask them to expose their breasts? I haven't seen the show for a while but when I did it was about dating. I don't recall the guy asking his prospective dates to flash their breasts at him. Also why is it down to the men to decide what is acceptable and what is not. If women say that they do not find Take Me Out offensive and relatively harmless but sexist chanting at football matches is offensive why not go with that? I doubt very much if women have problems with lingerie ads or other women wearing bikinis or going topless on a beach. They take part in the dating ritual as much as men and I understand that they quite enjoy the process of dating so I am struggling to find a link between a lame dating TV show and various other displays of differences between the sexes and the fact that some blokes think it is perfectly ok to chant at a woman asking her to expose her breasts. We are talking about boundaries and what people find acceptable and unacceptable. The fact that there isn't a huge outcry about that show on here would seem to indicate that people generally find it harmless rubbish. If you interviewed all those blokes who happily sung Get Your Tits Out For The Lads I doubt very much if any of then would say that he did it because of Take Me Out. It will be because of boorish laddish bravado with his buddies.

So you are saying that shows like Take Me Out make people feel it is okay to chant at woman and ask them to expose their breasts? I haven't seen the show for a while but when I did it was about dating. I don't recall the guy asking his prospective dates to flash their breasts at him. Also why is it down to the men to decide what is acceptable and what is not. If women say that they do not find Take Me Out offensive and relatively harmless but sexist chanting at football matches is offensive why not go with that? I doubt very much if women have problems with lingerie ads or other women wearing bikinis or going topless on a beach. They take part in the dating ritual as much as men and I understand that they quite enjoy the process of dating so I am struggling to find a link between a lame dating TV show and various other displays of differences between the sexes and the fact that some blokes think it is perfectly ok to chant at a woman asking her to expose her breasts. We are talking about boundaries and what people find acceptable and unacceptable. The fact that there isn't a huge outcry about that show on here would seem to indicate that people generally find it harmless rubbish. If you interviewed all those blokes who happily sung Get Your Tits Out For The Lads I doubt very much if any of then would say that he did it because of Take Me Out. It will be because of boorish laddish bravado with his buddies.

It objectifies men and women and contributes to a society where people are mostly judged on their gender and their looks. It isn't of course directly responsible but then I never said it was.

It objectifies men and women and contributes to a society where people are mostly judged on their gender and their looks. It isn't of course directly responsible but then I never said it was.

the very fact the women are asked to judge a man before he even speaks about himself is bad enough.

if it was 30 men on the panel and 1 female came down on the lift shaking her booty for all the men to get excited about. Im sure more would be said about it

the very fact the women are asked to judge a man before he even speaks about himself is bad enough.

if it was 30 men on the panel and 1 female came down on the lift shaking her booty for all the men to get excited about. Im sure more would be said about it

Of course there would be. It's double standards and whilst this particular show is not that important, it's a symptom of our society. It's not the only culprit.

Readies the series link.

Don't people do that all the time though? I remember many years ago speaking to a woman who said the first time she saw David Beckham she thought wow. Then he opened his mouth and said something in that weedy little voice of his and she went right off him. Both men and women make subjective judgements on each other. That is why we date. It is all about finding out about each other and if there is enough there to take the relationship further.

Singing Get Your Tits Out For The Lads is something entirely different.