Toby

miserableoldgit

Fonte has been our best CB, plus he has been a success as a captain and without doubt organises the defence.

I do think there seems to be some exaggeration about what Toby has done this season, by no means knocking him but I think if Fonte had missed as many games, leaving Toby with Gardos and Yoshida we would be worse off.

I've been watching since 91 and imo Toby is the best defender we've had in those 24 years. Fonte is my player of the season because he's played out of his skin, Toby has missed a few games but appears to play well within himself and makes everything look totally effortless!!

I've been watching since 91 and imo Toby is the best defender we've had in those 24 years. Fonte is my player of the season because he's played out of his skin, Toby has missed a few games but appears to play well within himself and makes everything look totally effortless!!

Totally agree with all of this. I started watching Saints in '91 as well, weirdly.....

Agree - Cultured, confident and composed... A class act all around.

Aha all is becoming clearer, it's apparently possible that Real and Atletico will be slapped with recruitment bans for exactly the same reasons as Barcelona, thus they'd have to hang on to whatever they own already. To be continued no doubt.

Well that's interesting, if not a little unfair on Toby.

Aha all is becoming clearer, it's apparently possible that Real and Atletico will be slapped with recruitment bans for exactly the same reasons as Barcelona, thus they'd have to hang on to whatever they own already. To be continued no doubt.

Well at least he won't be turning out for another PL team....

You're over exaggerating how good he is. He's not even been our best CB this season, everyone's like "herp derp he's the best cb we've ever had" whilst proceeding to agree that fonte's been our best player this year, which he clearly has

Completely disagree. He is absolutely a class apart from any of our other players.

Yeah ok bro, you keep telling yourself that.

Shall I couch it in the terms that Alderweireld reads balls in the air or on the ground incredibly well and is ALWAYS in position to clear them wherever they drop, forces attackers into mistakes with his anticipation, is an excellent marker with superb all-round positional play, very rarely makes errors with or without the ball and is the best passer of the ball in the back line, improves the players around him, and also fits into midfield fairly seamlessly (though he's not up there with Wanyama and Schneiderlin for whom it's a speciality) then?

Fonte looks better for playing alongside Alderweireld because Alderweireld minimises errors in both of them, whilst Fonte looks better playing alongside Yoshida because Yoshida makes more errors than him.