Premier League Fixtures 2015/16

nta786

With Boxing Day falling on Dec 28th this year, who do you think we might play on Dec 26th? ;-)

Pedant alert. Boxing Day is on the 26th. It can be on a Saturday but not a Sunday. There will be a Bank Holiday on the 28th in lieu of Boxing Day. HTH

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I think he means Bala..

No, I mean I have a family BBQ in Gower scheduled for the same weekend as I now think we're going to be playing at home on the Sunday of the Bank Holiday weekend. Nothing to do with Europa League matches other than them pushing the match to the Sunday.

Also, fat chance any Welsh teams will be left in by 3rd Qualifying Round anyway.

Edited by The9

Why would we be less likely to have injuries? Why do we really need them for some away games more than others.

We wouldn't be less likely to have injuries, we'd be as likely to have injuries, the likelihood of injury is a constant. It's the number of games falling within the timeframe of the injury at Xmas meaning that the injured players are more likely to miss more matches that's the problem.

And yes, obviously we need our best players for the biggest matches - in our situation I think we can beat most of the bottom half with a player or two missing in key positions but we've got far less chance of getting a result away to Chelsea (for instance) with say Fonte and Bertrand missing, whilst we could probably get away with it against someone like Sunderland.

All of which supports the original point, which was that we could do with having the big games spread out a bit more, rather than all falling over the Xmas/New Year period. This is without even discussing fatigue from the proximity of Xmas matches, or the possible impact of the Europa League in other factors like tiredness, ability to train or work on tactics, and injuries.

With Boxing Day falling on Dec 28th this year, who do you think we might play on Dec 26th? ;-)

I'm not touching that one with a 50 foot pole. Knew we should have stickied it three years ago after the previous three years of discussion.

Upcoming bank holidays in England and Wales

31 August Monday Summer bank holiday

25 December Friday Christmas Day

28 December Monday Boxing Day (substitute day)

Seriously, step awayyyyyyyyy from the argument. No-one wins this one.

I'm not touching that one with a 50 foot pole. Knew we should have stickied it three years ago after the previous three years of discussion.

Alternatively, instead of having a colourful variety of differing opinions, we could just go by what the UK government has decided; 28 December.

https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays

But where would be the fun in that?

Alternatively, instead of having a colourful variety of differing opinions, we could just go by what the UK government has decided; 28 December.

That's slightly interesting, in that I was sad enough to dig out the 2009 'Boxing Day Furore' thread and back then the government had the Saturday down as Boxing Day. There again, that was under a Labour government so no surprise that they got that wrong too, amongst many other things... ;)

I never got why the whole boxing day thing was so complicated. It's ALWAYS on the 26th December, as are the Boxing Day fixtures. It's only the bank holiday which changes if boxing day happens to be on a weekend, like this year when the BH will be on 28th.

That's the one and only post I will make on this matter, it was bad enough last time. :lol:

The full text is 'Boxing Day (substitute day)' which I read as 'substitute for Boxing Day'. If it were not a substitute then it would just say 'Boxing Day' :smug:

Just. Stop. :hunt:

Silly season, innit. :wave:

just to annoy The9 a bit more ;)

Boxing Day is December 26, and comes with a BANK HOLIDAY.

IF, December 26 (Boxing Day) falls on a Saturday or Sunday, then the Bank Holiday that comes with it is moved to a Monday- and Boxing Day remains as it is.

just to annoy The9 a bit more ;)

Boxing Day is December 26, and comes with a BANK HOLIDAY.

IF, December 26 (Boxing Day) falls on a Saturday or Sunday, then the Bank Holiday that comes with it is moved to a Monday- and Boxing Day remains as it is.

Incorrect. Boxing Day isn't a fixed date, its an event that occurs on the first weekday after Christmas Day. St Stephen's day, however, always occurs on the 26th December.

:)

Incorrect. Boxing Day isn't a fixed date, its an event that occurs on the first weekday after Christmas Day. St Stephen's day, however, always occurs on the 26th December.

:)

I think you'll be in a minority on this one. I would be careful about arranging any appointments around that time ;)

I think you'll be in a minority on this one. I would be careful about arranging any appointments around that time ;)

Yep, just me and the Oxford English Dictionary. :)

P.s. Lady Trousers has her birthday on the 26th and it only took me c.10 years of marriage to convince her that her birthday wasn't always on Boxing Day

Edited by trousers

Yep, just me and the Oxford English Dictionary. :)

P.s. Lady Trousers has her birthday on the 26th and it only took me c.10 years of marriage to convince her that her birthday wasn't always on Boxing Day

Shouldn't that be the OCD? ;

Not quite so definite on here: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Boxing-Day

Edited by Whitey Grandad