Lambert Joins West Brom

david in sweden

Lambert would be a great player for a Championship side at the moment, but he's too restricted in what he can do to be an asset any more anywhere they don't build the team around him.

As for "best signing ever", he's up there, but Schneiderlin for £1m, 6 years of service, selling him for more than 20 times what we paid, his utterly stellar contribution to our record Prem points total and making his career, makes him a better signing for us just in the same timeframe. Outside that "post 2008 period" there's Keegan and a host of others I'm not qualified to talk about...

Patrick Colleter.

Heh, within my Saints-supporting life, I can confirm Lambert was a better signing.

There is of course the question of context - I'm pretty sure almost all our signings between 1980 and 2006 would have looked good in League One. I've drawn the line at Burley's appointment for a reason. :D

For us, Lambert had grown with the team, knew his team mates inside out after years of playing alongside them and had that wonderful thing called confidence. He is a player that needs a constant run in a team in order to get the best out of him. He probably wouldn't have got that with Saints last season and I doubt he will ever recapture what he did for us elsewhere, as he is older, slower and obviously lacks the all important confidence.

Comparison with Pelle are pointless. Pelle replaced Lambert when Lambert had served his time and was on a decline. Pelle is every bit as good as Lambert was in his prime for us and, for my money, proves his worth with every game. Needs to tidy up on the fancy layoffs that go wrong, but is a real handful and will only get better with Tadic, Mane and JRod around him this year. Exciting times.

People say it was his boyhood club calling that took him to Scouseland, thats just a sentimental excuse for leaving. Reckon it was the bank balance pure and simple. Well his bank credit is high, his football credit will continue to fall

People say it was his boyhood club calling that took him to Scouseland, thats just a sentimental excuse for leaving. Reckon it was the bank balance pure and simple. Well his bank credit is high, his football credit will continue to fall

Think that's unfair, as heard Pulis say just after his move that he's taken a pay cut to leave Liverpool and join West Brom. He could have languished on the bench/in the reserves and stayed on higher money.

I think he probably felt he couldn't pass up the opportunity to play at Anfield, in the Champs League, etc, and that he would regret it if he didn't go there and try. Can't really blame him for that even though most could see that it was a move that was unlikely to work out well for him.

Think that's unfair, as heard Pulis say just after his move that he's taken a pay cut to leave Liverpool and join West Brom. He could have languished on the bench/in the reserves and stayed on higher money.

I think he probably felt he couldn't pass up the opportunity to play at Anfield, in the Champs League, etc, and that he would regret it if he didn't go there and try. Can't really blame him for that even though most could see that it was a move that was unlikely to work out well for him.

Depends on whether you think West Brom are paying him NEARLY what he was getting at Anfield or not really, doesn't it? He'll still be on lots more now than he was at Saints.

He's got the same length contract though, I'd expected he'd have insisted on a longer end date than he had at Anfield, but he hasn't - must have been a dealbreaker.

I suspect he'll be on the bench again by Xmas unless they sell Berahino.

I didn't think he was that bad last night. The baggies were overrun all over the pitch and Rickie was forced to come deep. I think Pulis actually pulled him back into midfield after 20 minutes because City were destroying them.

Of the touches he had he held the ball up well and looked to play forwards. His second free kick was decent. He won some balls in the air as you'd expect. He was unlucky sliding in for a chance.

A decent display I thought for his new club. The home fans seemed to give him a good reception when he was subbed. I think he'll chip in with some vital goals and assists personally.

You have the right name so wrong on many counts.

Christ this forum attracts some right nut jobs!

Rarely creates......most if not all our play goes through Pelle.

No-one misses Ricky playing than me but you are one of those muppets that can't get over it like those that will never give Clasie a chance and compare Caulker "he's no Toby' .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pointless flicks which work once in 20 attempts don't count as creating chances . Pelle doesn't compare to Lambert in terms of creating chances as he lacks the vision and is too one dimensional.

Is it a standard thing on this forum to insult anyone with a different opinion ?

I didn't think he was that bad last night. The baggies were overrun all over the pitch and Rickie was forced to come deep. I think Pulis actually pulled him back into midfield after 20 minutes because City were destroying them.

Of the touches he had he held the ball up well and looked to play forwards. His second free kick was decent. He won some balls in the air as you'd expect. He was unlucky sliding in for a chance.

A decent display I thought for his new club. The home fans seemed to give him a good reception when he was subbed. I think he'll chip in with some vital goals and assists personally.

Agreed, he looked half decent in a team that were being destroyed. His touch and hold-up play remains far better than Pelle's, but his time in the PL is nearing its end, such a shame that he had to ensure a season of being under utilised by the master tactician and coach that is Brenda.

Pointless flicks which work once in 20 attempts don't count as creating chances . Pelle doesn't compare to Lambert in terms of creating chances as he lacks the vision and is too one dimensional.

Is it a standard thing on this forum to insult anyone with a different opinion ?

I don't think you've been watching Pelle much if you think he does "pointless flicks which work once in 20 attempts". He was everywhere on the weekend.

it's all a bit sad really.. PL stats

2012-2013 : 15 goals | 04 assists | 3133 minutes | 35 starts | 09th in the league for goals total

2013-2014 : 13 goals | 10 assists | 2820 minutes | 31 starts | tied for 13th in the league for goals total

--

2014-2015 : 02 goals | 02 assists | 0825 minutes | 07 starts | tied for 109th in the league for goals total

2015-2016 : ??????

even sadder, he made his own bed.

Liverpool's top scorer in 2014-2015 : Gerrard with 9 goals - and Sterling was 2nd with 7 goals.

I don't think you've been watching Pelle much if you think he does "pointless flicks which work once in 20 attempts". He was everywhere on the weekend.

To be fair you are right , Pelle was more mobile and effective against Newcastle than last season .

I'm basing my opinion over last season though . Hopefully coaching has improved his game and this season may show us a much improved player .