Lambert Joins West Brom

david in sweden

Lambert had put his house on the market when he thought he was going to West Ham, a move that was blocked by Saints. Lambert then threw his toys around until his agent told him Rodgers had enquired. That is exactly what happened.

How do you know this? It really doesn't tie in with the way the club wished him well does it. It is clear by the way the club says its goodbyes as to how they feel about players. I had heard that it was Cortese's idea to move him out. Does Rickie really come across as the type of person who throws a wobbler?

Talking about Rickie's legs going, he never had "legs." He was a Teddy Sheringham type player whose first few yards were in his head. His link up play and positional sense are superb. He deserves to be playing every week and I hope he gets a move to a club that appreciates him.

In 2013/14 Rickie Lambert was one of only 15 players in the top five European leagues in 2013-14 to both score & assist 10+ goals.

He had a combined goal and assists of around 23 level with Aguero and only below a few others with 10+ assists.n goals in the Premier League, but yeah think what you want.

Rickie Lambert was a legend for us and people who appreciate proper footballers know that Rickie was, and is, a proper footballer.

Lambert was a massive disruptive influence off the pitch after West Ham tapped him up in the January before he left and Saints blocked his big payday. The club were glad to see the back of him and Liverpool gave them an easy out without upsetting the fans. There's no way he's coming back here even if his form was good but he's finished now unfortunately.

WTF??? :mcinnes:

Talking about Rickie's legs going, he never had "legs." He was a Teddy Sheringham type player whose first few yards were in his head. His link up play and positional sense are superb. He deserves to be playing every week and I hope he gets a move to a club that appreciates him.

Just because you're slow to start with doesn't mean you can't get slower.

Rickie Lambert was a legend for us and people who appreciate proper footballers know that Rickie was, and is, a proper footballer.

Says the man who has been watching football for years, indeed a proper footballer.

No it doesn't, but that doesn't make you a bad player either.

Completely agree, he was always a proper player, much better on the ball than fans of other teams ever realised.

I just think the argument which says "x player never had any pace to lose" is nonsense. It may not have been his strength, but what mobility he had was still an important part of his game and can still decline. Sheringham was a rarity and a completely different type of player, it's a lazy comparison.

Would love to see Rickie go to West Brom and do well.

Just because you're slow to start with doesn't mean you can't get slower.

No but if you were slow to start with you learn to play to your other strengths. Lambert has never been quick but still found away to an effective Centre forward getting a bit slower won't make much difference. Its players who relay on pace like Walcott and Townsend that struggle as their legs go.

No but if you were slow to start with you learn to play to your other strengths. Lambert has never been quick but still found away to an effective Centre forward getting a bit slower won't make much difference. Its players who relay on pace like Walcott and Townsend that struggle as their legs go.

Age takes its effect on everyone in the end, regardless of how slow they are to start with. I remember going to Carrow Road about 3 years ago and Grant Holt looked like he was running through treacle.

We saw it several times when a big defender stuck tight to Lambert, he really struggled. The likes of Clint Hill and John O'Shea kept him quiet and they aren't exactly world class defenders.

Completely agree, he was always a proper player, much better on the ball than fans of other teams ever realised.

I just think the argument which says "x player never had any pace to lose" is nonsense. It may not have been his strength, but what mobility he had was still an important part of his game and can still decline. Sheringham was a rarity and a completely different type of player, it's a lazy comparison.

Would love to see Rickie go to West Brom and do well.

I don't agree that it is a lazy comparison. Booby Moore had no pace but he had a football intelligence that made him a cut above the rest. I played against an ex Palace full back many years ago long after he had packed up professional football. He was the oldest guy on the pitch and played at a trot but he had so much time on the ball and he ran the match, we couldn't get near him to take the ball off him. There are plenty of players who don't have pace (Pirlo is another who springs to mind) but have great careers because of their skill and footballing brains. Football is like chess and you need to think more than you need to charge about. Remember when Walcott was younger? His speed was killing defenders but he would get himself into great positions and then screw it up with his final ball. Rickies best days are behind him but his best days were down to his skill and that is something he will never lose.

Also libellous.

I'm not sure some of you are remembering properly. He appears on the legends banner for good reason. One of the top 10 players I have seen play for us in the 50 years I have watched us.

Are some of you teenagers? You don't seem to recall anything more than two years ago or certainly have respect for it.

I didn't question his contribution on the pitch which us beyond criticism. Just because you dont want to hear it doesn't make it untrue.Lambert came to Saints a stone overweight and left us an England player, I'd say Saints were pretty good for him too. If it makes you happy to dismiss other viewpoints rather than engage them perhaps you're in the teenager category yourself? At least I now understand why this place is called the mong board everywhere else.

I didn't question his contribution on the pitch which us beyond criticism. Just because you dont want to hear it doesn't make it untrue.Lambert came to Saints a stone overweight and left us an England player, I'd say Saints were pretty good for him too. If it makes you happy to dismiss other viewpoints rather than engage them perhaps you're in the teenager category yourself? At least I now understand why this place is called the mong board everywhere else.

There are viewpoints and there are facts. Made some strong assertions about Lambert. Were they just your viewpoints or do you know these things for a fact? I ask because they don't stack up with what went on when he left.

Although he never really had pace , your legs can still " go" without it . His spring and sharpness can go and his legs have a lot of mileage in them . Personally , I think the stop start nature of his Liverpool career is what'll do for him . He needs to play week in week out to maintain his sharpness and it doubt he'll get that at WBA either . Comparisons with Teddy S are wide of the Mark IMO . Teddy was a class above and played most if his career in the top flight , the years of slog will catch up with Rickie . For all his legend status he's played what 50 top flight games and one season in second tier , other than that he's played lower league season in season out .

As a former Saints' player our interest in what Rickie does with the dog days of his career ended when his contract ended. The years when you could rely on him to score in almost every game were fantastic, and it was incredible that he kept raising his game from L1 through to the Prem and even into the England squad but all of that is now history. When he was sold to Liverpool, it did seem to open the floodgates that allowed the other defectors to leave but in retrospect it now looks like good business to have got £4m for a player who was struggling to keep a place in the Saints' team and who would only get a place on the bench at his new club.

If he does leave Liverpool common sense says he should make a move that gives him the most money as his time is running out, but I can't see that it matters at all to Saints' fans, where he goes.

Spot on!

Just look at the way Feynoord welcomed back their lambert and lallana (Pelle) and (Clasie)

When a player has given us some of his best years helped take the club from L1 to the fringes of the top of the Premiere he deserves the best wishes of all Saints fans for whatever else he can get out of a footballers short career

Without us he'd still be playing in League 1. We owe him nothing. He didn't join us out of the goodness of his heart and work for free ffs.

Without us he'd still be playing in League 1. We owe him nothing. He didn't join us out of the goodness of his heart and work for free ffs.

Harsh. We owe him a decent reception whenever he returns.

Harsh. We owe him a decent reception whenever he returns.

Indeed. He may have been an employee but he played his part in our fantastic journey and has supplied many great memories along the way. He deserves a legend status as far as I am concerned.

He is a legend an i will wish him well except against saints. Just a shame he didnt stay here and move into coaching

Sent from my GT-S5301 using Tapatalk

There are quite a few ex Saints strikers now coaching that I'd love t see being added to the coaching team at the club and Academy. Kevin Phillips and Kevin Davies are doing a great job and are to be admired at the attitude they have towards passing on footballing skills to youngsters.

So many ungratefull people, Ricky is a club legend! WBA is a good move for him, good luck Fella!

I can believe some of the hostility towards Rickie let's not forget where we came from eh!

Apart from the known troll that is PP, who are you actually talking about?

All those bemoaning how Rickie's legs of gone etc would have probably been the same crowd who wrote off Sherringham at a similar age. His game has never been based around speed. He has excellent control, positional awareness and brings the best out of the players who join him in the attacks. Add in a pretty spectacular penalty record and he is good value at £3m.

Wouldn't like to bet who'll bag more this season between him and Pelle.

I wonder what Scousehampton got in the way of a transfer fee from him? Knowing them they probably made a profit, got the £7m we should have got for him last year.

Clearly they didn't get seven million pounds for him.