Lambert Joins West Brom

david in sweden

Lambert did well for us but I don't know why we keep on keeping on about him. He's gone and his career is near the end, he isn't of value to us any more. We don't keep on about Ox or Shaw and it would be good if their futures were with us not with our rivals. And yes, love him or not, it was Lambert who began the exodus.

Finally a sensible post !!!!

He might not be of value to us anymore but his goals got us where we are now and there are many fans who will never forget his contribution to our journey, even if there are some who seem to want to tarnish his good name.

No one is trying to do that........... OK

Pelle has scored 102 competitive club goals in his senior career since 2003 most in the Dutch league (not that high a standard). Lambert scored a 114 in just 5 years at saints. Lambert has also scored a club career total of 236 goals (though admittedly he has had a senior career threes years longer than Pelle's). That would suggest Lambert is the better CF to me over their respective careers although as they've played mostly in different leagues it's hard to compare. I think assists would be an interesting stat to compare between the two players from my recollection Lambert was normally one of, if not our, highest assister in many of his seasons here not sure Pelle gets many assists.

Having typed all that Pelle vs Lambert comparisons are a bit of a pointless argument.

Any comparisons between the two before we got promoted are pretty much meaningless. You can't say Lambert is better because he scored more goals in League 1 than Pelle did in Serie A or the Eredivisie.

I couldn't pick a better player of the two. Both had strengths and weaknesses, both ended up in 10-15 Prem goals a season territory.

Ron Davies left Saints and even played for Pompey, his memory was not tarnished as he gave us so much whe he was with us.

RL gave his all and it shows how little a lot on here know about football. RL was never at his best as a target man, but his quick mind and ability to find a pass or stick the ball in the net was and is superb. I know it was against L2 players but the 2nd goal he scored the other night was due to a sharp brain and speed to see a chance.

You weren't paying attention then. He'd become pretty static and easy to mark.

So he is exactly the same as Pelle who cost loads more yet Pelle is useless at free kicks, rarely creates , doesn't take penalties .... Boy didn't we get a good deal out of this

Would expect Lambert to out score Pelle this season as well

The thing for me that sets Lambert and Pelle apart is their contribution in the build up play. Yes Pelle can and does get involved but not to the extent that Lambert did. Lambert was double figures for goal AND assists one season for us in the prem. Only a few other players in the top 5 leagues could boast that stat. Yes Lambert is now on the decline but i'd have had him back as back up to Pelle. Rotating those two would've been good imo.

One thing in Pelle's defence though is his goal tally for last season wasn't padded out with pens.

The thing for me that sets Lambert and Pelle apart is their contribution in the build up play. Yes Pelle can and does get involved but not to the extent that Lambert did. Lambert was double figures for goal AND assists one season for us in the prem. Only a few other players in the top 5 leagues could boast that stat. Yes Lambert is now on the decline but i'd have had him back as back up to Pelle. Rotating those two would've been good imo.

One thing in Pelle's defence though is his goal tally for last season wasn't padded out with pens.

take away rickies pens in his last season. 2 goals in it (in favour of pelle)

Lambert did get 10 assists that year which put him 3rd in the country (only suarez and gerrard got more), pelle is credited with 2 last year, which put him 97th in the country....ON PAR with Lambert at liverpool :?

(all league stats)

Edited by Batman

For me Rickie is a legend from our history, a vital part of our journey back - but that time has gone and we've moved on.

Pelle now has the chance to create his own status - but he'll need to deliver over the next couple of seasons and I'm not convinced that we would be able to hang onto a prolific goalscorer that long, nor that he has the consistency.

We only hung onto Rickie because the rest of football told us he was alright in League One but he couldn't hack it in the Championship, followed by he might be alright in the Championship but he'll never make the step up.

His journey from League One to scoring for England will go down in Saints folklore, hopefully Pelle can do enough to join him on a web banner one day, but he has a long way to go.

For me Rickie is a legend from our history, a vital part of our journey back - but that time has gone and we've moved on.

Pelle now has the chance to create his own status - but he'll need to deliver over the next couple of seasons and I'm not convinced that we would be able to hang onto a prolific goalscorer that long, nor that he has the consistency.

We only hung onto Rickie because the rest of football told us he was alright in League One but he couldn't hack it in the Championship, followed by he might be alright in the Championship but he'll never make the step up.

His journey from League One to scoring for England will go down in Saints folklore, hopefully Pelle can do enough to join him on a web banner one day, but he has a long way to go.

Agreed. I used to love other fans and pundits saying that Rickie Lambert couldn't cut it or was just a big lump that we hoofed the ball up to. The Norwich fans were especially funny when comparing him to Grant Holt :lol:

All the best to him. I saw his interview on the West Brom Facebook page and you can see how much last year has hurt him. He certainly feels he has a lot to prove and actually I think he will get into double figures for the Baggies this season in the Prem.

Not sure why people are going on about his legs, his game has nothing whatsoever to do with sheer pace! It's his general goalscoring ability and awareness that has served him so well.

Nobody is talking about his pace but lets be honest, he'll struggle to play every league game next season. He needed a rest in his last season for us and barely playing for nearly a year can't have done much for his fitness.

I honestly lay the blame at Brendan's feet though. He knew full well he didn't need Lambert and that he'd barely be used. There was absolutely no need for him to buy him.

Finally a sensible post !!!!

Don't agree at all Sarnia. Of course he has gone but to say he has no value any more. Talk to people who saw Ron Davies or Terry Paine or Mick Channon play for us and tell them the players no longer have a value. There is no nostalgia without having worth remembering and rickie certainly gave us something to remember. We don't keep going on about the Ox or Shaw for a simple reason, they didn't score shedloads of goals that got us back into the Premiership. We keep going on about Rickie because he was a quality player who delivered the goods. And he did not start the exodus and even if he did, it was not down to RL that the others b*ggered off.

Laughable to say his legs had gone in his last season with us. I think some people forgot we weren't in League 1/Championship anymore and expected him to score 20 league goals. Double figures for goals and assists is very impressive in this league. If he gets the game time at WBA he will score 10+ goals this season.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Laughable to say his legs had gone in his last season with us. I think some people forgot we weren't in League 1/Championship anymore and expected him to score 20 league goals. Double figures for goals and assists is very impressive in this league. If he gets the game time at WBA he will score 10+ goals this season.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

His legs weren't gone but you can't deny that he was tired and needed a rest. Towards the end of the season he looked ****ed quite often on the pitch. Pochettino's mental training regime probably didn't do him to many favors in that respect though.

His legs weren't gone but you can't deny that he was tired and needed a rest. Towards the end of the season he looked ****ed quite often on the pitch. Pochettino's mental training regime probably didn't do him to many favors in that respect though.

He suffered from the same problem Pelle has we only have one proper centre forward in the team meaning they both have/had to play every game. Last season if we had had a second CF Pelle could have been rested when his form went to pieces. Pelle's going to be ****ed again this season unless we decided to change our style. Don't think we are in the market for another proper CF though I guess Jrod might work up front on his own.

Edited by doddisalegend

"Under Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool had become a fast-paced team in which the forwards were expected to show clever and relentless movement, something that did not appear to be in Lambert’s armoury."

Not sure I agree with that!

I think there's a bit of truth to that. They were used to seeing someone as mobile as Suarez up top. Lambert is a lot slower and more predictable than that. We played to his strengths, Liverpools system didn't suit him at all.

I think there's a bit of truth to that. They were used to seeing someone as mobile as Suarez up top. Lambert is a lot slower and more predictable than that. We played to his strengths, Liverpools system didn't suit him at all.

It's pace which is the difference, not the intelligence of movement. I suppose you could read 'relentless' in that way but Lambert was absolutely brilliant at finding space and making it for others through his movement.

Pelle scored more goals for us from open play last season than Lambert did in either of his seasons in the Premiership with us.

Pelle would also have scored just as many in the Championship and lower leagues as Lambert.

Fans of other clubs, without the sentimentality that our lot have, were constantly telling me that they thought Pelle > Lambert was a huge improvement to our squad from season-before-last to last season.

Yes, fans of other clubs who hardly saw Lambert play...idiot

Sorry about typing all those facts and hurting your feelings.

The fans of other clubs saw plenty of both strikers (and indeed saw their own teams face both Lambert and Pelle)

Sorry about typing all those facts and hurting your feelings.

The fans of other clubs saw plenty of both strikers (and indeed saw their own teams face both Lambert and Pelle)

well, lambert scored the same amount from open play in our first season up as pelle did last year

well, lambert scored the same amount from open play in our first season up as pelle did last year

Why ignore penalties, Pelle does not take them as he does not have the technique of striking the ball like Lambert. Pointless to compare them really as Lambert assists far outweigh Pelle.. But Pelle makes better runs into the box than Lambert ever did. However, Lambert gets my vote as he is a better all round footballer, and scores from lesser chances than Pelle needs.

Why ignore penalties, Pelle does not take them as he does not have the technique of striking the ball like Lambert. Pointless to compare them really as Lambert assists far outweigh Pelle.. But Pelle makes better runs into the box than Lambert ever did. However, Lambert gets my vote as he is a better all round footballer, and scores from lesser chances than Pelle needs.

because it's apples and oranges.

someone else will take them.

it would be far more relevant to look at how many penalties are won by a player.

sure having as many capable penalty takers as possible is desirable in case your first choice is unavailable, but it shouldn't form part of the sam statistic as goals from open play. all set pieces are dubious.

It's pace which is the difference, not the intelligence of movement. I suppose you could read 'relentless' in that way but Lambert was absolutely brilliant at finding space and making it for others through his movement.

Of course his reading of the game was good, but his movement wasn't anywhere near what Liverpool wanted.

Don't agree at all Sarnia. Of course he has gone but to say he has no value any more. Talk to people who saw Ron Davies or Terry Paine or Mick Channon play for us and tell them the players no longer have a value. There is no nostalgia without having worth remembering and rickie certainly gave us something to remember. We don't keep going on about the Ox or Shaw for a simple reason, they didn't score shedloads of goals that got us back into the Premiership. We keep going on about Rickie because he was a quality player who delivered the goods. And he did not start the exodus and even if he did, it was not down to RL that the others b*ggered off.

Wow hold on there buddy.........I saw Davies Paine and Channon play and they are true Saints legends........same as Lambert is or will become.............not sure where value comes into this always thought value = $ just read what I said in previous posts about him EH!!!!

Wow hold on there buddy.........I saw Davies Paine and Channon play and they are true Saints legends........same as Lambert is or will become.............not sure where value comes into this always thought value = $ just read what I said in previous posts about him EH!!!!

Could you, like, be any more Canadian??

Personally would have liked to have had him back as a) it would send out a great message about Liverpool and about how great Saints are in comparison b) he's still pretty good and am not personally convinced by Pelle's all-round game c) no-one takes a better pen d) he seems a good bloke e) he wouldn't be too pricey

He's on the banner for a reason and I will always have massive respect for the bloke. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he will have an Indian Summer and bang in 20 for WBA this season. Would love it if he did that. Not much of a gamble for Pulis either as he wouldn't have cost much now that Rodgers priorities have clearly changed.

I enjoyed Richie when he was here and he did a good job for us. But once he went, with our blessing, that was an end to his era.

He probably could have done a job for us then and might have filled a hole but that time has gone and we have all moved on. Don't forget that when we bought him he probably thought his career would end in the lower leagues and he has a lot to thank Saints for as well. If he finishes in the lower leagues then he's probably prepared for whatever comes. But if he came here he would only tarnish his rep and he means Nothing to Ron so that boat has sailed.

Good luck Rickie. Hope all works out well. Thanks for the past and all you did for us and we are happy for what we did for you.

So he is exactly the same as Pelle who cost loads more yet Pelle is useless at free kicks, rarely creates , doesn't take penalties .... Boy didn't we get a good deal out of this

Would expect Lambert to out score Pelle this season as well

You have the right name so wrong on many counts.

Christ this forum attracts some right nut jobs!

Rarely creates......most if not all our play goes through Pelle.

No-one misses Ricky playing than me but you are one of those muppets that can't get over it like those that will never give Clasie a chance and compare Caulker "he's no Toby' .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw the game and just feel sorry for him... the Liverpool was move was idiotic and his heart ruled when his head should of. His England career is over and I sadly think his professional career at the top flight is about to fizzle out. He looked very poor. Regards the comparison to Pelle.... not sure any of that is that valid. Pelle is a different play with different strengths and is giving us a new edge up front and making us less predictable in my view... The lambert-Lallana show in their last season for us was becoming predictable and teams were sussing us out to easily... last season we looked inventive and varied in comparison and even though our season stalled a bit towards the end, I still saw promise. Pelle will score more Prem goals than Rickie this season, of that I am certain.