van Dijk's replacement

Fitzhugh Fella

I would be inclined to agree. I remember reading a crazy statistic that he didn't make a single error all season? I think he was ever so slightly more polished whereas VVD is the more aesthetically pleasing to watch.

He was so good, but you never really noticed him much! VvD is very X factor and wins a lot of aerial challenges and blocks but Tony was so cool and calm. Playing together would be a ridiculous pairing!

Kompany/Stones, Koscielny/Mustafi, Sakho,Cahill/Luiz, Alderweireld/vertonghen, A. Williams, C. Smalling/Bailly, M. Britos, Steve cook, D. Delaney, Huth/Morgan, McAuley, W. Keane, W. Reid, R. Shawcross, Ben Gibson, Curtis Davies, F. Fernandez, L. Kone

The best centre back from each team, and more than one if they have two decent options.

Now who is on the same-ish level as VVD?

Kompany/Stones, Koscielny, Cahill, Alderweireld/vertonghen, A. Williams, Huth/Morgan (in terms of success last season).

But who really is as good as VVD?

Kompany (if ever fit), Koscielny, Alderweireld.

I can seriously see one of the European big boys coming calling, in the future he may be the perfect ball playing CB for Barcelona I'd say.

Edited by Zed

VvD is exceptionally good as well as still being yet to enter his peak years for a centre back. However defenders rarely if ever attract the same money as forwards so I cant see 50 million or above.

I also think we are in a strong position as he has a long contract although there's no doubt in my mind the club would have agreed caveats for him depending on who comes in for him or what they offer.

It's all good. If he goes we would get a substantial fee to reinvest. If he stays then great. Let's just enjoy him whilst he's here.

VvD is exceptionally good as well as still being yet to enter his peak years for a centre back. However defenders rarely if ever attract the same money as forwards so I cant see 50 million or above.

I also think we are in a strong position as he has a long contract although there's no doubt in my mind the club would have agreed caveats for him depending on who comes in for him or what they offer.

It's all good. If he goes we would get a substantial fee to reinvest. If he stays then great. Let's just enjoy him whilst he's here.

Except we don't reinvest the whole, or even most of the fee as proved this summer

Well we aren't going to sell for 40 million and buy another CB for 40 million are we? But we might buy two CB's for 15 mill each which gradually raises the level of the squad which is what we've done so well.

I cant see Jose leaving now though. United never actually made a serious offer. I think he's being rested in these early EL games purely down to his age and protecting him.

Sometimes money isn't the only consideration. Maybe wrong, but I see VVD staying at least next season. Just feels like something good is growing at club, have a feeling players sense it too

5year contract, already being shaped into the captain, great friendship with Fonte and players like Warde Prowse and really buys into the clubs ethos.

On top of that, the big teams really are going to get wary of giving us anymore money at this rate.

I reckon we'll have VVD for a while.

I nominate this thread as the most annoying I have ever read here. I expect journalists and others to start picking over our players but not our club historian. Can't we just enjoy our team FFS

Well I certainly hope Les Reed isn't sitting back enjoying life. The whole point of the thread is about forward planning to continue our fabulous recent progress. You stick your head in the sand if you want but I would like to think the more savvy supporters will welcome the club preparing for all eventualities.

This^^ Martina like several times before gets caught in no man's land

The only error for the goal was Davis dithering in possession and then passing the ball to a City player. Everything else was just other players failing to dig the team out of that situation. Hardly a surprise though that only about three people watching seemed to notice who was at fault, and everyone else is busy apportioning blame elsewhere.

Well we aren't going to sell for 40 million and buy another CB for 40 million are we? But we might buy two CB's for 15 mill each which gradually raises the level of the squad which is what we've done so well.

I cant see Jose leaving now though. United never actually made a serious offer. I think he's being rested in these early EL games purely down to his age and protecting him.

Agreed, so it's pointless saying we'll reinvest in a centre back with the fee made, we may invest part of the fee in a new centre back but they won't be of the same quality..... yet... hopefully. The club have done well doing this and long may it continue. What will most likely happen is we'll buy an up and coming player, he'll take a season or 2 to get up to speed as our strikers are scoring for fun but the defence becomes a bit leakey as we all lament 'if only we still had vvd we'd be top of the league'. Then the scoring strikers get sold as our shiny new defender starts to strut his stuff..... and so it all continues, feeding the big clubs as we never progress, but it is fun to watch.

Just imagine though if we'd invested all the Mane money in a striker, with the chances our players are getting we may well be higher up the league and all but knocked Inter out of the Europa. I would have loved to have seen someone like Benteke here, I reckon he would get a hatful in our system.

Makes me sick seeing the scousers near the top of the table with our players, add in the ones we sold to spurs and utd, what a team we'd have.

I don't see a single 'meltdown' on this thread whatsoever. What I see is people discussing a likely scenario in a pretty constructive manner. It is OK to discuss things like this on a footy forum I guess?

You know, you don't have to be a 'bedwetter' or a 'happy-clapper'. There is some ground in between for discussion, and if appropriate, critique. Just maybe.

Isnt it like dating a hottie though but then assuming she will leave you for someone like Brad Pitt next year so you start to think about finding a replacement before she goes? The bloke has recently signed a contract extension. We are playing well. It just seems odd to want to dwell on what might be months in advance when there is so much to enjoy right now. We are all going to die so lets have our wakes now and wallow in the finality of it all now rather than enjoy what we have. :(

Isnt it like dating a hottie though but then assuming she will leave you for someone like Brad Pitt next year so you start to think about finding a replacement before she goes? The bloke has recently signed a contract extension. We are playing well. It just seems odd to want to dwell on what might be months in advance when there is so much to enjoy right now. We are all going to die so lets have our wakes now and wallow in the finality of it all now rather than enjoy what we have. :(

Yes enjoy the present by all means and 7000 inc me filled their boots in Milan. But not to cover all bases and leave things to ifs and maybes is not prudent management. I'd like to think Les Reed keeps one step ahead of the game. Either that or he is one lucky Director of Football.

As good as he often looks, it's worth pointing out that both of the last two goals we have conceded were due to him not tracking his runner and allowing them to shoot.

I reckon we will be able to keep him this summer, because the length of his contract means we will be wanting more money for him than even the really big clubs would be willing to part with for him.

Bexy can I just say congratulations on pointing this out. Vvd is a very special player, however, you are correct and well spotted. I was going to make the same point but get tired of the trolls that trawl this site aiming personal abuse at anything they assume to be not vitriolic worship of every player and moment surrounding SFC.

The last two goals were preventable and we maybe discovering a costly weakness in Virgil's game....

So to clarify - I love to watch him play and he's undoubtedly very talented but work to do yet....