Sevilla (H) Pre-season Friendly

edprice1984

Yes this seems very odd, Sevilla playing two games in two days 250 miles apart.

Hope we didn't play against a weakened team yesterday!!

just going from last season's stats...

we played against their 1st choice (who started)...

keeper

CM (N'zonzi)

CM (escuardo)

CF (pareja)

contrast that against the team starting at Everton...

Looks like 4 or so started against everton (2-2 in the end)

can't take much from that at all but shows a bit of a mix and match

One observation from yesterday when Boufal came on, ok it wasnt a long stint, he looked much more defensively minded when he needed to track back and help out last season he seemed a bit reluctant in that duty.

He got a right old rollicking from Romeu yesterday for not tracking back and leaving a hole in midfield for Sevilla to exploit. On the other hand the way we were set up yesterday with no space between the back lines and sitting deep there was far too much of a gap up to the strikers. If wingers have to track back that far to help defend how the hell then are they supposed to change gear and get fast forward again to be effective in attack especially in the early stages of the season?

I agree about Redmond's attitude, it's been apparent for ages at Norwich and when he arrived here. It used to drive me mad last season when even during warm-ups was always half-hearted about doing the routines properly and fully and generally larking about and treating the whole thing as a bit of a joke when surely as a professional the guy should be 100% focused and deadly serious. Austin is a bit the same way in that respect and its likely their childish attitudes have an impact on their pitch performances.

Off topic slightly, probably because I was around in the 80s but as soon as that clip starts, seeing us lining up in "that" kit gives me a feeling of optimism straight away that stripes never do.

Unfortunately none of the players are old enough to remember it, hopefully they are shown videos like this daily at Staplehurst

Off topic slightly, probably because I was around in the 80s but as soon as that clip starts, seeing us lining up in "that" kit gives me a feeling of optimism straight away that stripes never do.

Unfortunately none of the players are old enough to remember it, hopefully they are shown videos like this daily at Staplehurst

On Wednesday night getting a first viewing of the kit in the flesh gave a familiar feeling, then seeing Gabbi with his longer hair than the others and the kit whoosh instantly taken back to the days of Keegan, Watson, Golac, Jordan, and a nice warm feeling.

He had two ACL injuries and an op and is now on a 6 month contract I believe ... he's playing for his future!

Yeah, was just starting to break through to the first team when he got the ACL injury as well, appeared on the bench a couple of times, without coming on.

It's really good to see him back and fighting back to that sort of form again.

Highlights here if anyone missed them:

Flannigan (?) looks promising - never heard of him before - anyone know any more about him and his progress?

As others have said, he got a nasty injury and was out for some time (he was actually surprised to be offered a new deal and was very much expecting to be released at the end of last season).

He's a good player, but very unlucky to get injured when he did. Hopefully he's done enough for us to sign him up for longer, local lad and has done well to make a come back from his injuries imo.

He lacks a bit of height, but is of a very good build (2 long term injuries mean a lot of time spent in the gym!), so I think physically he'll be okay.

As others have said, he got a nasty injury and was out for some time (he was actually surprised to be offered a new deal and was very much expecting to be released at the end of last season).

He's a good player, but very unlucky to get injured when he did. Hopefully he's done enough for us to sign him up for longer, local lad and has done well to make a come back from his injuries imo.#

#

He lacks a bit of height, but is of a very good build (2 long term injuries mean a lot of time spent in the gym!), so I think physically he'll be okay.

Thanks SKD and others for the info - sounds promising and hopefully he will come good for us (even if we end up selling him eventually)

He had two ACL injuries and an op and is now on a 6 month contract I believe ... he's playing for his future!

Well he set his stall out on Saturday with the brief chance that he had, having seen Jay Rod come back from one ACL for a lad coming back from 2 and given a 6 month chance he certainly threw the kitchen sink at the opportunity, just a shame Sevillas stupid keeper got in the way.

Well he set his stall out on Saturday with the brief chance that he had, having seen Jay Rod come back from one ACL for a lad coming back from 2 and given a 6 month chance he certainly threw the kitchen sink at the opportunity, just a shame Sevillas stupid keeper got in the way.

TBF that shot was a bit full backy - Perfect catching height and dead centre.

I like the fact he's taking his chance to secure a longer contract and given decent game time, hopefully show he won't keep getting injured! Certain other players could learn a lot from him so far ...

It can be spun lots of different ways pal (just as the Augsburg game can be). Sevilla started a weakened side, have a game tmrw and are behind us in their preseason preparation. By the sounds of it, it was a pretty drab encounter. Frankly am more excited by the prospect of a new midfielder coming in.

I was there and it was an entertaining match with a lot to savour.. Sevilla began by bossing Saints with their slick, fast passing but defenders tackled well and kept them at bay. We were livelier and more confident when attacking, putting in some fluid movements using the width of the pitch. Players were getting forward and testing their keeper in ways not seen at the end of last season. The game did flag in the middle of the second half but picked up again after the substitutions around 60 minutes and we ended strongly despite a Sevilla revival, young Flanagan being a revelation. MP was active and vocal on the side. Notably he was encouraging more positive diagonal - not sideways - passing. Some promising individual displays. On the evidence there will be healthy competition for places., while some of our stars like Redmond on today's display will need to up their energy and concentration to keep their places. A word for Forster. Get off his back, fellers. He put in a good display and encouragement from the crowd, not childish ironic jeering, will see him back to his best.