What have the Chinese done for us?

Saint Billy

Maybe, but surely it's the type of acquisition (like the Glazers) that's important not what country they are from.

Do the glazers face capital controls? Have the glazers been previously arrested for bribery? Do the glazers have zero experience of the sports industry? Has the President of the United States made it a national mission to turn the country into a footballing superpower to boost its influence?

Didn’t think so thickforever. However they all apply to the Gaos and are all a deeper reflection of business practices in a country which is still massively and dysfunctionally dependent on the whims of the state and where financial or commercial logic is often an afterthought.

Edited by shurlock

A change in our status was only possible, if a new owner had the contacts one way or the other to increase the commercial revenue especially via sponsorship.

The Premier league must have seen some sort of plan from Gao and if Krugers says Under Armour and Virgin Media seem happy then whats going on ?

A change in our status was only possible, if a new owner had the contacts one way or the other to increase the commercial revenue especially via sponsorship.

The Premier league must have seen some sort of plan from Gao and if Krugers says Under Armour and Virgin Media seem happy then whats going on ?

That is the problem, we don't know what's going on.

The silence is deafening from the owners and even from Reed and co. What happened to the club being transparent and all those ball****e soundbites, or will the excuse now be that those promises were made before the new owner took over and things have now changed.

I think fans deserve to know exactly what Gao told the premier league as to regards plans for the club.

If the takeover of the club was all about continuing in the same way then i suggest you re-employ the managers and players that have left to redo that.

Over the last two seasons we have seen two manaers employed that are not good enough and dont inspire the players.

There have been a number of players brought in also on big money that are not good enough for the top ten of the PL

Why does Gao not have any representation on the football board ?

If he has simply bought the club and is going to let the same people run the club, i dont see that ending well.

It's either the Manager or the Players, if the players aren't good enough for top ten then how can you blame the manager. He's obviously just doing what's expected?

The machinery industry is not the construction industry. That's not "semantics", they are different sectors.

If its the same why don't JCB have loads of real estate projects on the go? Or the Black and Decker corporation? After all, its all the same innit.

Different sectors where it's literally impossible for one to operate without the other. I walk past barriers for a new apartment building and often see branding for both the building developer and the construction machinery company. But sure, they're completely different innit. Yes I was wrong about her investments in Liebherr group though the point stands that she can act as an intermediary between them and Gao/the Chinese market, as well as advancing her own business interests there. Do you believe Gao bought Saints because of a love of football? Do you believe he bought us intending to make a capital gain? Or do you believe he bought us for a mix of political reasons and boosting his other businesses?

Firlwolks, Chopsticks, noodres, lice, tabre tennis, Seven Samurai

You do realise that Chinese speakers generally have no problem differentiating rs and ls, never mind seven samurai is a Japanese reference.

Bit of a thick c**t, aren’t you pal.

Edited by shurlock

Was there a successful example of Swiss ownership before Marcus came along?

Wether our owner fails or is a huge success will have nothing to do with what country he was born in.

Good point, we should give a Nigerian prince a go next time, most of them have billions and just need some help to release it. So if we could have volunteers to submit bank details we will benefit enormously. My windfall is due by day now.

Borrowed money

Very interested to know the current situation regarding debt and funding at the club. I doubt much has changed yet, but perhaps in time it will. As I recall Gao had to use his own money to acquire the club rather than his company's money. Should we expect to see Gao recoup his outlay over a period time in advance of a future sale?

Whilst Kat helped to finance the club with regular low cost loans to help propel us through the leagues and create an asset worth a lot more to a potential buyer than when Marcus acquired it, I wonder what the model is for Gao. I suspect it will be a case of simply trying to maintain our premiership status in order to see the value of the club increase naturally in line with other sporting assets. If, during that period, he can have the club pay him a substantial amount (be it in the form of a dividend or some sort of loan repayment), perhaps the whole £200m, then when he comes to sell he could make £250, maybe £300m in profit.

Should that be the case, the club will have a smaller budget and retaining our status will be tougher. It will be a fine balancing act - as it always is.

Perhaps I am miles off track, so interested in other thoughts on this.

Very interested to know the current situation regarding debt and funding at the club. I doubt much has changed yet, but perhaps in time it will. As I recall Gao had to use his own money to acquire the club rather than his company's money. Should we expect to see Gao recoup his outlay over a period time in advance of a future sale?

Whilst Kat helped to finance the club with regular low cost loans to help propel us through the leagues and create an asset worth a lot more to a potential buyer than when Marcus acquired it, I wonder what the model is for Gao. I suspect it will be a case of simply trying to maintain our premiership status in order to see the value of the club increase naturally in line with other sporting assets. If, during that period, he can have the club pay him a substantial amount (be it in the form of a dividend or some sort of loan repayment), perhaps the whole £200m, then when he comes to sell he could make £250, maybe £300m in profit.

Should that be the case, the club will have a smaller budget and retaining our status will be tougher. It will be a fine balancing act - as it always is.

I would guess you are close to the truth here as there are absolutely no signs of a Man City type investment, in fact no signs of any investment at all.

(Here's an interesting read about that: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/15/manchester-city-football-group-ferran-soriano )

So mid-table meandering is a likely future for us under Gao.

That's a reasonable conclusion, with the caveat of course that we simply don't know his plans.

Which is incredibly frustrating, yet sensible too..if he starts mouthing off like the Everton owner did then that'll cause all kinds of extra silliness to deal with: not least inflated transfer prices.

So a more coy approach works......yet as fans we want to hear something from the owners!

I wonder how the surrounding land and potential development opportunities fit in? It is hard to conclude that he wants to make us a super club, and far easier to conclude we're an asset that unlocks additional (non-football related) returns.

It amazes me that so many people are happy to accept mediocrity, just because of our generally terrible period during the 90's and early 00's (well up until 2009).

You need to move with the times and live in the present, rather than the past. Take City for an example, average position of 7th, would they accept that now? Of course not.

Since returning to the PL, our average position is 8th (although that is likely to drop after this season), surely this should be the new benchmark of success? (and before anyone mentions Puel... We all know he wasn't sacked based on league position).

It amazes me that so many people are happy to accept mediocrity, just because of our generally terrible period during the 90's and early 00's (well up until 2009).

You need to move with the times and live in the present, rather than the past. Take City for an example, average position of 7th, would they accept that now? Of course not.

Since returning to the PL, our average position is 8th (although that is likely to drop after this season), surely this should be the new benchmark of success? (and before anyone mentions Puel... We all know he wasn't sacked based on league position).

Where did I declare whether or not I was happy to "accept mediocrity". I was simply highlighting a matter of fact. The Saintsweb forum....reading between the lines since 2006.... (with mixed levels of success)

Don't need to 'find' signings mate our illustrious black box has a pool of players to choose from and has done for many a s3ason

Sorry, that should've said 'fund' rather than find. Would love to be wrong on this, but with a debt acquisition that the new owners struggled for the best part of a year to pull together, I doubt any additional money will be forthcoming without the sale of existing squad members. After all, if you were lending against the club right now, our risk profile has probably changed somewhat since the start of the season as we're now only one game away from the relegation places.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5201741/Swansea-sacked-Paul-Clement-crisis-club.html

Just read this article on whats gone wrong at Swansea.... A lot sounds very similar to us.

What will the new manager find at the club?

Disarray, to be perfectly honest. It is incredible to think Swansea were held up as a model club not so long ago, with their attractive style of play, local ownership and knack for unearthing good managers and players.

Today, it is all so different.

The local businessmen sold to an American consortium, the fans continue to be livid about it, and they are looking for their third manager in a year.

And what about the recruitment system?

That is perhaps the biggest failing. The days of finding a Michu for £2m are long gone. It has been one failing after another, and this season the squad looks awful. Easily the worst since Swansea came up in 2011.

On a basic level, the problem is that they sold Gylfi Sigurdsson and Fernando Llorente late in the window and replaced the pair — their two best players — with Tammy Abraham, unproven at Premier League level, Wilfried Bony, who had not played 90 minutes at club level in a year, and Renato Sanches.

Basically, poor recruitment, lack of investment and selling best players has *****ed them... Sound familiar?

Always thought we had followed a similar path to Swansea and to be honest, I wouldn't at all be surprised if that continued and we found ourselves in their position in a season or 2 time.

Companies house now showing Gao as the new owner

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06951765/filing-history

Question to all the corporate gurus out there.... is it unusual that none of the Gao family have been appointed officers of either Southampton Football Club Ltd or St Mary's Football Group Ltd yet, or is that just a technicality thing that takes a while to show up on the records? By comparison, the Mickey Mouse fella and half his family showed up as officers of Portsmouth Community Football Club Ltd (founded 2012) fairly soon after they took over that fledgling football club.

Edited by trousers