Policing Bill

Antrimsaint

Will be interesting to see what the "freedom of speech" crowd say about this.  On the one hand it restricts BLM which they'll love, on the other hand its an affront to freedom which they think they think is important.

I for one think it's shit and a step backwards for a modern democracy.

6 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Coronavirus has given them the taste for social control, so this is their way to extend that beyond SD rules. You can now get a criminal record simply by being homeless.

Nearly right. Covid was part of the plan to gain this level of control, among other things. You will start to see it all unfold but don't listen to me, just wait for the years to roll by and u will see. 

Possibly the most authoritarian thing this government has done, given all the previous social restrictions have been done in the name of combatting COVID. Soon to be rivalled by voting ID laws, of course.

We still have policing by consent in this country (ie it only works if the bulk of the population behave themselves).

If enough people protest in a coordinated way, the authorities will always struggle to cope.

2 hours ago, CollinsDic said:

Nearly right. Covid was part of the plan to gain this level of control, among other things. You will start to see it all unfold but don't listen to me, just wait for the years to roll by and u will see. 

At best you will be in a psychiatric unit at worse dead. Take care sweet pea.

3 hours ago, CollinsDic said:

What do you suggest we do to fight back ?

You'll be OK as long as you're quiet and not a nuisance, just amble along, hands in pockets, mumbling protesty things, social media will do the rest...

Don't worry this will backfire quite quickly as middle aged home counties women are bludgeoned in the street by our police "service"...

11 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Coronavirus has given them the taste for social control, so this is their way to extend that beyond SD rules. You can now get a criminal record simply by being homeless.

You normally post sense. All this "social control" talk is bollox. Covid restrictions were a necessary evil until the vaccine was rolled out. The government wants us out there earning and spending as much as we want to be out there earning and spending. 

9 minutes ago, egg said:

You normally post sense. All this "social control" talk is bollox. Covid restrictions were a necessary evil until the vaccine was rolled out. The government wants us out there earning and spending as much as we want to be out there earning and spending. 

Covid restrictions were “temporary “ the policing Bill is not. Raising your voice will make you a criminal 

16 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Covid restrictions were “temporary “ the policing Bill is not. Raising your voice will make you a criminal 

I get that, bit the covid restrictions were not "social control" and nor is the policing bill. Sure, its unnecessary and draconian legislation, but it's not social control as a result of the covid restrictions which is the point badger was making. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I get that, bit the covid restrictions were not "social control" and nor is the policing bill. Sure, its unnecessary and draconian legislation, but it's not social control as a result of the covid restrictions which is the point badger was making. 

Thats fair. I started the topic as it seems to have snuck in unnoticed. I protested the Criminal justice Bill many moons ago and cannot believe in a democracy we are going to outlaw protest and make no fuss. What has happened to us?

10 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Thats fair. I started the topic as it seems to have snuck in unnoticed. I protested the Criminal justice Bill many moons ago and cannot believe in a democracy we are going to outlaw protest and make no fuss. What has happened to us?

I have to say, it passed me by initially. It feels very ott. Sure, the unpleasant side of the BLM stuff, for example, is not something we want to see again but this is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It feels that policy makers have said that it's difficult to know where to draw a line in the sand, so they've removed the possibility of a line. 

Edited by egg

46 minutes ago, egg said:

...All this "social control" talk is bollox. ....

My opinion differs from yours, we are equally entitled to them - both probably hold a grain of truth. I could  respond that anybody who thinks everything the Govt have done has been necessary, timely, and well managed is misguided. ( This would not, however, make me CollinsDic ).

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

My opinion differs from yours, we are equally entitled to them - both probably hold a grain of truth. I could  respond that anybody who thinks everything the Govt have done has been necessary, timely, and well managed is misguided. ( This would not, however, make me CollinsDic ).

You'll never find me saying that everything the government has done is timely or well managed, but as a point of principle I feel that some covid restrictions were a necessary evil. 

Whilst I don't share your point re social control, we agree that this an unnecessary piece of legislation.