Taking the knee

whelk

43 minutes ago, egg said:

You're still missing the point. The PL should make it clear to clubs, players and fans publicly that it and its sponsors are all cool with players and clubs taking the knee or not as they choose. They won't though as that wouldn't be true. 

It’s been a player led initiative right from the start, the PL have just backed them. If anything I expect the PL were uncomfortable with the BLM connection, especially during the protests. I wouldn’t be surprised if they would much prefer to have no taking the knee and just have a kick it out logo on the shirt. The players are clearly free to choose as some are doing now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It’s been a player led initiative right from the start, the PL have just backed them. If anything I expect the PL were uncomfortable with the BLM connection, especially during the protests. I wouldn’t be surprised if they would much prefer to have no taking the knee and just have a kick it out logo on the shirt. The players are clearly free to choose as some are doing now.

Yep it was all David Mcgoldricks idea 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, aintforever said:

We'll never agree on this, and we don't have to. I live and work in a commercial world, and I'm comfortable with my view that this has never been player led. Indeed, I'd hazard a guess that very few players want to do this, and that the vast majority think its utter bollox and do it out of obligation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

We'll never agree on this, and we don't have to. I live and work in a commercial world, and I'm comfortable with my view that this has never been player led. Indeed, I'd hazard a guess that very few players want to do this, and that the vast majority think its utter bollox and do it out of obligation.

You’re wrong, I’ve worked with sports marketing departments for over 20 years, including some EFL and PL clubs - there is no way taking the knee would have been forced on the players by the PL. I haven’t read one thing that even hints at it being imposed from up above.

If it was not player led why did the logo get designed by Troy Deeney’s Mrs? 

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/troy-deeney-thanks-premier-league-for-providing-black-lives-matter-platform-39313387.html

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Seriously?  The PL that ratified 'PIF' has morals?  That's what you think?

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You’re wrong, I’ve worked with sports marketing departments for over 20 years, including some EFL and PL clubs - there is no way taking the knee would have been forced on the players by the PL. I haven’t read one thing that even hints at it being imposed from up above.

If it was not player led why did the logo get designed by Troy Deeney’s Mrs? 

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/troy-deeney-thanks-premier-league-for-providing-black-lives-matter-platform-39313387.html

We're going around in ever decreasing circles mate. You have absolutely no information to support that players have led this - apart form Troy Deeny's missus designing the logo.

I've spoken with players who think it's bollox. Hypo has done the same. Several black players have said its bollox. Yet you, a white guy, says its definitely a player led thing, an assertion based on nothing.

Let's agree to differ on this. Enjoy your Saturday mate 👍

• 9 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62493260

BBC article where Calum Wilson confirms that players were instructed to take the knee.

"Doing it week-to-week, just because it's something we've been told to do, I think it's probably faded and lost its impact," said Newcastle forward Wilson on the latest episode of the Footballer's Football”.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

BBC article where Calum Wilson confirms that players were instructed to take the knee.

"Doing it week-to-week, just because it's something we've been told to do, I think it's probably faded and lost its impact," said Newcastle forward Wilson on the latest episode of the Footballer's Football”.

How can this be? We were told by those great and the good of saintsweb that there was no way on earth that they were told to do it. 

On 30/10/2021 at 11:43, aintforever said:

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

opps.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

opps.

Except they didn't all take the knee so it was obviously not compulsory.

From what I have read, the team's captains got together at the start of the season and agreed to do it as a collective, it obviously wasn't a spontaneous gesture made by everyone with no organisation - no one has suggested it was.

Can't believe you are still crying over this!

Just now, aintforever said:

Except they didn't all take the knee so it was obviously not compulsory.

From what I have read, the team's captains got together at the start of the season and agreed to do it as a collective, it obviously wasn't a spontaneous gesture made by everyone with no organisation - no one has suggested it was.

Can't believe you are still crying over this!

Im not crying over anything sunshine, it was you getting yourself at it calling everyone gammons and bellends who said they were told to do, seems the gammons and bellends were correct and yet again you were wrong.

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Im not crying over anything sunshine, it was you getting yourself at it calling everyone gammons and bellends who said they were told to do, seems the gammons and bellends were correct and yet again you were wrong.

You're a bellend for getting all upset over a harmless well-meaning gesture. It has always been a player-led initiative.

You have been way off over this since day one - I remember you saying that there is no way they will take the knee when fans are back in the stadiums - spot on there. :lol:

Edited by aintforever
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You're a bellend for getting all upset over a harmless well-meaning gesture. It has always been a player-led initiative.

You have been way off over this since day one - I remember you saying that there is no way they will take the knee when fans are back in the stadiums - spot on there. :lol:

i dont believe i ever said that and i was never upset about it, i maintained all along that it was a pointless gesture that was being forced on clubs by the premier league, you were all over the place trying to "prove" it wasn't. Now a player has come out and said they were told to do it.

I see you got "bellend" end a laughing emoji in and made something up, all we need is gammon and "it's not rocket science" for bingo.

Edited by Turkish

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i dont believe i ever said that and i was never upset about it, i maintained all along that it was a pointless gesture that was being forced on clubs by the premier league, you were all over the place trying to "prove" it wasn't. Now a player has come out and said they were told to do it.

I see you got "bellend" end a laughing emoji in and made something up, all we need is gammon and "it's not rocket science" for bingo.

From Sky;

Players and staff have been taking a knee prior to kick-off in games since June 2020 to show their support for the movement for racial equality.

The decision is "wholeheartedly supported" by the Premier League, with players and match officials wearing 'No Room For Racism' badges on their shirts.

"Following our club captains' meeting, that collective commitment was reaffirmed and the Premier League will continue to support the players' strong voice on this important issue.

Edited by aintforever

Done to death this. We all know it was coordinated and not individuals views. Some took a stand by not doing it as felt ineffective the more it went on but they were black players (Zaha and Toney)as can you imagine if a white player did it and grief and implied racism from so many quarters

Think all can see it ran it’s course and we don’t need endless earnest preaching from Martin Tyler in every game  with vague bs about stamping out prejudice like that is achievable. Yeah of course we’ll intentioned but might as well have a clap for love peace and harmony across the world

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, aintforever said:

From Sky;

Players and staff have been taking a knee prior to kick-off in games since June 2020 to show their support for the movement for racial equality.

The decision is "wholeheartedly supported" by the Premier League, with players and match officials wearing 'No Room For Racism' badges on their shirts.

"Following our club captains' meeting, that collective commitment was reaffirmed and the Premier League will continue to support the players' strong voice on this important issue.

And the point of this post is?

30 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

So some strange people still have an issue with others making a stand against racism. Perhaps we should just ignore and hope it goes away all by itself?

Who are these people? As for you I know you "speak out" regularly against racism by slagging off Katie Hopkins on here, but what else are you doing?

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Done to death this. We all know it was coordinated and not individuals views. Some took a stand by not doing it as felt ineffective the more it went on but they were black players (Zaha and Toney)as can you imagine if a white player did it and grief and implied racism from so many quarters

Think all can see it ran it’s course and we don’t need endless earnest preaching from Martin Tyler in every game  with vague bs about stamping out prejudice like that is achievable. Yeah of course we’ll intentioned but might as well have a clap for love peace and harmony across the world

Unfortunately you've still got people like aintforver who dont get it and Soggy with his white saviour complex who thinks he's saving the world from racism by going to a muslim barber and slagging off Katy Hopkins on a southampton football forum

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

And the point of this post is?

It's clearly a player led initiative supported by the PL, not the nasty PL forcing players to do what they don't want like you suggest.

Why do you need everything explaining to you? Unless it's drawn with crayons in primary colours you never seem to get it.

• Like 1

Just now, aintforever said:

It's clearly a player led initiative supported by the PL, not the nasty PL forcing players to do what they don't want like you suggest.

Why do you need everything explaining to you? Unless it's drawn with crayons in primary colours you never seem to get it.

Ah of course, a Sky press release is all the proof we need!

Im sure you once claimed you worked in PR/Marketing/Media in Sport. Now i appreciate this could be a Soggy Walter Mitty claim, like when he claimed that he had been prosecuting rape and knife crime but actually was a filing clerk at the CPS and i'm minded to think this is with you, as you clearly dont have a frigging clue how PR works.

41 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I wouldn’t say Calum Wilson is a strange person, but if he doesn’t want to take the knee any more, I wouldn’t classify that as having a issue with making a stand against racism.

As you know I was referring to the resident WUM who apparently cares so little about it he is still going on about it a year later.

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

As you know I was referring to the resident WUM who apparently cares so little about it he is still going on about it a year later.

Any update on what you're doing to stop racism, apart from speak out aganist Katy Hopkins on here?

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ah of course, a Sky press release is all the proof we need!

Im sure you once claimed you worked in PR/Marketing/Media in Sport. Now i appreciate this could be a Soggy Walter Mitty claim, like when he claimed that he had been prosecuting rape and knife crime but actually was a filing clerk at the CPS and i'm minded to think this is with you, as you clearly dont have a frigging clue how PR works.

Sky, the clubs, the players, they all say the same thing. Do you actually have any proof that it was anything other than a player led initiative?

I have worked with sports marketing departments for years, forcing the players to take the knee against their wishes would be an absolute PR disaster for the FA.

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Sky, the clubs, the players, they all say the same thing. Do you actually have any proof that it was anything other than a player led initiative?

I have worked with sports marketing departments for years, forcing the players to take the knee against their wishes would be an absolute PR disaster for the FA.

I guess Calum Wilson was making it up then when said they were told to do it.

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Who do you think told him he had to do it?

come on think Mcfly, think!

Pretty much the first line of that Wilson article is:

“Premier League captains decided to reduce the anti-racism gesture after consulting with players.“

Weird they can make that decision themselves if they are being ordered around by the PL. :lol:

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Pretty much the first line of that Wilson article is:

“Premier League captains decided to reduce the anti-racism gesture after consulting with players.“

Weird they can make that decision themselves if they are being ordered around by the PL. :lol:

You didn't answer the question - who do you think told Wilson to do it? 

Edited by Turkish

16 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

So some strange people still have an issue with others making a stand against racism. Perhaps we should just ignore and hope it goes away all by itself?

Ignoring it would be a lot let divisive than supporting a racist group like BLM. But you virtue signaling types cannot help yourselves in your desperate quest to make friends by looking so pious.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1