Taking the knee

whelk

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The PL's image?

Blimey it's not rocket science.

They stopped doing it in the Championship because they felt it was losing impact - The anti-racism message is stronger in the Prem because it is watched by millions around the globe, and because their fellow teams were all doing it it made sense to join in.

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

They stopped doing it in the Championship because they felt it was losing impact - The anti-racism message is stronger in the Prem because it is watched by millions around the globe, and because their fellow teams were all doing it it made sense to join in.

So you're saying that because they've been promoted, the Brentford players taking the knee will have a global impact? I'll go out on a limb and say that's nonsense. 

Edited by egg

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

So you’re saying they joined in because everyone else was doing it then, not because they believed in it.

42 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Why was it losing impact in the Championship but not in the PL?

Whilst you mention the PL is 'watched by millions', I'm fairly sure that no TV stations around the world actually show the kneeling bit before the match as they are all showing revenue generating adverts instead, so the kneeling is only seen by those in the stadia.

Perhaps it is rocket science after all?

38 minutes ago, egg said:

So you're saying that because they've been promoted, the Brentford players taking the knee will have a global impact? I'll go out on a limb and say that's nonsense. 

I'll go out on a limb and say that virtue signalling to a global audience of millions will have more effect than to a few thousand in some Championship stadium. Surely even you can understand that.

Just now, aintforever said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that virtue signalling to a global audience of millions will have more effect than to a few thousand in some Championship stadium. Surely even you can understand that.

Yeah, racists the world over will stop in their tracks seeing those Brentford boys in the knees for 8 seconds before kick off. 

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Why do they do it in league cup games then? Small attendance, small global audience? 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It's not shown on 'global TV' to 'global audiences', they choose adverts instead.

So, back to my earlier question, why is it more effective in the PL than in the Championship?

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's not shown on 'global TV' to 'global audiences', they choose adverts instead.

So, back to my earlier question, why is it more effective in the PL than in the Championship?

Still much higher profile even if some TV channels don't show it.

27 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Probably a bit of both. Definitely were not ordered to do it by the PL as you bell-ends believe.

But you originally said they did it because they believe in it, now you’re saying they’re doing it partly at least, because they don’t want to be seen as the only club not too. So they don’t believe in it that much do they. They certainly didn’t believe in it when they were on a different division. Bournemouth believed in it when they were in the premier league, now they’re not they don’t. I guess that’s just coincidence right?

aintforever has been circled by the pack, he fends one off whilst the others are biting at his arse.

No one is changing their mind here, I think we all need to agree to disagree. Some of us like the knee, others don't, some think its powerful, others don't, some think the players are forced to do it, others don't.

It's just like the poppy all over again.

Edited by Fan The Flames
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

aintforever has been circled by the pack, he fends one off whilst the others are biting at his arse.

No one is changing their mind here, I think we all need to agree to disagree. Some of us like the knee, others don't, some think its powerful, others don't, some think the players are forced to do it, others don't.

It's just like the poppy all over again.

“Circled by the pack” 🤣

you mean a few people who have a different view to him and rightly point out the inconsistency of his point. There is only one person calling everyone who doesn’t agree with him bellends and how stupid they all are. Also  No ones made a low or out of order personal comment either, unlike some people like to do…..

Edited by Turkish

3 hours ago, rallyboy said:

And the first nomination for the most dull and pointless fucking argument that regularly blurs reality and heads off at tangents to distract from the actual issue, is.....

Saints Forum, Kneegate....

It's a fair point. 

Aintforever is still wrong though ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rallyboy said:

And the first nomination for the most dull and pointless fucking argument that regularly blurs reality and heads off at tangents to distract from the actual issue, is.....

Saints Forum, Kneegate....

It is truly bizarre isn’t it that a group of people, who claim not to be racist, spend so much time and effort digging out others who are anti racist over some people trying to do something about the issue of racism. You can bet your mortgage on those people replying to this post within seconds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

It is truly bizarre isn’t it that a group of people, who claim not to be racist, spend so much time and effort digging out others who are anti racist over some people trying to do something about the issue of racism. You can bet your mortgage on those people replying to this post within seconds. 

You won't be seeing any replies though because you have everyone on ignore? 

Also how do you define if someone is anti racist? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Please reply to me 

Please reply to me 

Please, please.

Get a grip mate. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He's repeated the same post about 5 times and keeps going because he didn't get the response he wanted. His attempts to call everyone racist is losing its effect. 

The "if you don't applaud the knee as a sound idea, you are a racist" line is offensive. That's what gets on my tits. Ivan Toney, Wilf Zaha, John Barnes, etc think it's bollox. 

White men going to this extent to champion a campaign that black men don't support are on an ego trip. 

Edited by egg

19 minutes ago, egg said:

The "if you don't applaud the knee as a sound idea, you are a racist" line is offensive. That's what gets on my tits. Ivan Toney, Wilf Zaha, John Barnes, etc think it's bollox. 

White men going to this extent to champion a campaign that black men don't support are on an ego trip. 

Indeed. It does seem to be a certain middle class demographic group who are the keenest to support this and they aren't black. I still don't know what an anti racist is either and how it differs from 99% of the population who don't discriminate based on skin colour. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He's repeated the same post about 5 times and keeps going because he didn't get the response he wanted. His attempts to call everyone racist is losing its effect. 

Which is the more tedious ? SOGgy and racism, or Warrior and shitty rivers ?

30 minutes ago, egg said:

Arguing with less then 10 people on a niche message board that is visited by no one, whilst having a poo at work, is hardly going to some great extent. As for ego trip 😅 how do you get that arguing with anonymous blokes on a football forum.

1 hour ago, egg said:

SOG has always been a prat, and a wind up merchant, across various Saints boards. His “you’re on ignore” routine is consistently hilarious though.

As for aintforever, he’s consistently been one of the thickest posters on here over many years, and his “it’s not rocket science” mantra is predictable every time, although I’m constantly surprised he can even spell the words.

As for the knee. Personally I have no problem with it whatsoever, I think it’s a tiny gesture that does more good than harm, if only in a tiny way. But IMO there’s no doubt the PL are pushing this onto their member clubs to comply and it is more of a PR exercise than any type of movement. A nice gesture in itself, and I’d keep it, but only for those that genuinely want to do it.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

you mean a few people who have a different view to him and rightly point out the inconsistency of his point.

Inconsistency, brilliant! From the person who thinks the Premier League are forcing the players to take the knee, despite the fact that some players are choosing not to take the knee.

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Inconsistency, brilliant! From the person who thinks the Premier League are forcing the players to take the knee, despite the fact that some players are choosing not to take the knee.

You initially said Brentford have decided to take the knee because they are all now massively behind it, you later said that part of the reason they’re doing it is because everyone else is and they don’t want to be the only one not too. You really don’t even understand what point you’re trying to make do you. 

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You initially said Brentford have decided to take the knee because they are all now massively behind it, you later said that part of the reason they’re doing it is because everyone else is and they don’t want to be the only one not too. You really don’t even understand what point you’re trying to make do you. 

My point is simple - unlike the SA cricketer, they are not forced to do anything.

7 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Some black players have refused. Does that make them racist, or is that just the preserve of white people? It's just possible to have exactly the same reservations about the gesture regardless of your skin colour, but the consequences are much different it seems. What happened to equality ?

1 minute ago, kyle04 said:

Some black players have refused. Does that make them racist, or is that just the preserve of white people? It's just possible to have exactly the same reservations about the gesture regardless of your skin colour, but the consequences are much different it seems. What happened to equality ?

Alonso is not black, he doesn’t take the knee. Please keep up.

6 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

The reactions are a little different though...

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The vast majority seem to support Alonso’s right to do whatever he wants from what I can see. He certainly hasn’t been hounded out the game like some on here suggested he would, quite the opposite in many cases.

26 minutes ago, aintforever said:

My point is simple - unlike the SA cricketer, they are not forced to do anything.

You’re point isn’t simple because one minute you’re claiming it’s totally down to them then next you’re claiming they were doing it because everyone else was.

you’ve banged on about showing a stand in front of global TV audiences yet in the euros hardly any premier league players that don’t play for England took the knee, perfect opportunity to show how much they care in front of the watching world and millions of views from countries in Eastern Europe with racism problems, but they didn’t and you’ve been unable to answer why.

Like I said inconsistent. 

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The vast majority seem to support Alonso’s right to do whatever he wants from what I can see. He certainly hasn’t been hounded out the game like some on here suggested he would, quite the opposite in many cases.

I thought nobody cared though? I thought there was no pressure whatsoever on those who choose not to do it? Could you not imagine there are some players who see things like this and then think they don't want to be publically questioned in that manner so just do it for a quiet life? 

Edited by hypochondriac

15 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Aside from posting on here where you repeatedly make yourself look a complete crumpet what else are you doing In your crusade against racism? We know you have a couple of non white people you speak to occasionally when they’re doing jobs for you, what else?

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I thought nobody cared though? I thought there was no pressure whatsoever on those who choose not to do it? Could you not imagine there are some players who see things like this and then think they don't want to be publically questioned in that manner so just do it for a quiet life? 

I’ve never said nobody cared just that most people don’t care either way because it’s a small harmless gesture. Of course there is peer pressure but that’s just human nature. That’s why some players do it in the Prem but not when their team mates don’t in the Euros for example ( a concept that Turkish seems to not understand) There’s a big difference between that and the PL forcing players to do it and it’s no different to the wearing of the poppy which players get slaughtered for when they don’t conform.

What do you suggest is done about it then - do you think the PL should force players to not take the knee?

13 hours ago, The Kraken said:

SOG has always been a prat, and a wind up merchant, across various Saints boards. His “you’re on ignore” routine is consistently hilarious though.

As for aintforever, he’s consistently been one of the thickest posters on here over many years, and his “it’s not rocket science” mantra is predictable every time, although I’m constantly surprised he can even spell the words.

As for the knee. Personally I have no problem with it whatsoever, I think it’s a tiny gesture that does more good than harm, if only in a tiny way. But IMO there’s no doubt the PL are pushing this onto their member clubs to comply and it is more of a PR exercise than any type of movement. A nice gesture in itself, and I’d keep it, but only for those that genuinely want to do it.

I don’t think soggy is bright enough to be a troll or has a sense of humour. Given some of the stuff he’s posted on the past also takes these forums very seriously. He is a prat though.

bang on about aintforever, “it’s not rocket science” is quite brilliant When evidently most things are for him

32 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I’ve never said nobody cared just that most people don’t care either way because it’s a small harmless gesture. Of course there is peer pressure but that’s just human nature. That’s why some players do it in the Prem but not when their team mates don’t in the Euros for example ( a concept that Turkish seems to not understand) There’s a big difference between that and the PL forcing players to do it and it’s no different to the wearing of the poppy which players get slaughtered for when they don’t conform.

What do you suggest is done about it then - do you think the PL should force players to not take the knee?

🤣 you’re all over the place mate. So now there is peer pressure making people do it. So they non English premier league players are all desperate to show a United front against racism when playing in the premier league in front of millions of tv fans. Yet when their team mates in their own countries don’t want to do it in front of millions of tv fans they don’t want to either. So obviously they aren’t they behind it then!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

You're still missing the point. The PL should make it clear to clubs, players and fans publicly that it and its sponsors are all cool with players and clubs taking the knee or not as they choose. They won't though as that wouldn't be true. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

The big difference in trying to compare it to the poppy is that one if one weekend a year and the other is 365 days a year.

Only dickheads would compare it to the poppy

Edited by whelk