Taking the knee

whelk

Cos you know the England players doing it put the whole racism thing to bed..... oh wait. 

It's a peaceful protest to highlight what is clearly an ongoing racism issue that is impacting many players pretty much daily, I don't really see why it is surprise it is still going. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Total waste of time and by all accounts has achieved nothing.

All this because an american was killed by a copper last year, farce.  

No it is not taking the knee was started by an American Footballer to highlight how badly BAME people are treated in the USA and has been carried on the UK to highlight the similar treatment that they suffer in the UK

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

18 minutes ago, whelk said:

Very surprised going to continue this season. Sorry for new thread but assumed previous ones had been locked

96B51CD2-C0E1-4020-9BA1-C051DC29B5A8.jpeg

I personally know someone who works at Brentford, I know they had a meeting and agreed to stop the knee in Feb last year , BBC reporting all 20 clubs support this, I strongly suspect they haven't got much choice. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, John B said:

No it is not taking the knee was started by an American Footballer to highlight how badly BAME people are treated in the USA and has been carried on the UK to highlight the similar treatment that they suffer in the UK

It started in the premier league during the BLM riots in 2020 following the Great George Floyd's tragic passing at the hands of a policeman though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, John B said:

That was 5 years ago. 

Kaepernick started kneeling during the national anthem because he refused to stand up for a flag that oppresses black people. 

Not really sure how taking a knee for a few seconds instead of kicking off is the same thing. 

Edited by RedArmy

Deleted

Edited by VectisSaint
Hadn't realised that references to black lives matter (the statement not the organisation) had been dropped. I have no problem with taking the knee, I very much support kicking out racism, racism of all sorts, my post may have been misconstrued.

Just now, VectisSaint said:

The good news is that references to black lives matter apparently will be changed to 'No Room for Racism'. 

No room for racism and a new gesture = unanimous support from fans. 

Taking the knee will cause more and more problems as the season progresses. 

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

The good news is that references to black lives matter apparently will be changed to 'No Room for Racism'. 

Which has been the case for a long while now. It’s been perfectly clear what it’s about and why it’s being done for more than enough time. The only people who haven’t grasped that are the ones who choose not to.

It’s 8 seconds just before kick off, if you think it’s meaningless, ignore it, it’s not affecting you in anyway what so ever. Otherwise you’re just fuelling the fire. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Total waste of time and by all accounts has achieved nothing.

All this because an american was killed by a copper last year, farce.  

Are you completely insensitive and devoid of any empathatic human feelings towards others?

This is one of the most crass and distressing posts I've ever seen on here. Shame on you

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

26 minutes ago, John B said:

Totally inappropriate to template, by sleight of hand for political purposes, USA problems onto UK society. We in the UK are arguably one of the most egalitarian and least racist societies on the planet, and had moved forward immensely in regards equality of opportunity and marginalising racism since the 1970s and 1980s. Importing BLM and its pseudo-ideological foundation of Critical Race Theory has already set us back a decade or more in 18 short months. The abasement of Kneeling is a powerful symbol of BLM/CRT and persisting with it will damage and divide further. 

Edited by adrian lord
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

The precedent has been set now. the kneeling should continue in perpetuity or the racists win. 

It woudl be good if all the supporters followed suit. Woudl be amusing watching some tumble and not get back up

6 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Totally inappropriate to template, by sleight of hand for political purposes, USA problems onto UK society. We in the UK are arguably one of the most egalitarian and least racist societies on the planet, and had moved forward immensely in regards equality of opportunity and marginalising racism since the 1970s and 1980s. Importing BLM and its pseudo-ideological foundation of Critical Race Theory has already set us back a decade or more in 18 short months. The abasement of Kneeling is a powerful symbol of BLM/CRT and persisting with it will damage and divide further. 

Absolute nonsense there is nothing political in highlighting the problems BAME people endure in the UK

• Like 1

I wonder whether they would be carrying on if people hadn't booed it at the end of last season and in the Euros? 

The England team seemed very committed to carrying on the gesture, in part because of the fact that there was so much negativity around it. 

I can't see it stopping. People will probably get bored of booing eventually because they will realise it won't force the players to stop and it will become a normal part of the pre match routine.

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

It woudl be good if all the supporters followed suit. Woudl be amusing watching some tumble and not get back up

Not sure the scant amount of leg room at St Mary's is conducive to that. I'd either get wedged in and stuck or rip the arse out of my trousers because of having to go down at a funny angle.

2 minutes ago, Dig Dig said:

If only people showed as much outrage at actual racism as they do against an anti-racism gesture, the players would no longer feel the need to do it. 

Racism is abhorrent. What should I be expected to do about it though? Genuine question. What I can say with a degree of certainty is that footballers taking the knee won't stop racists being racist. It's just not the solution. 

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

Racism is abhorrent. What should I be expected to do about it though? Genuine question. What I can say with a degree of certainty is that footballers taking the knee won't stop racists being racist. It's just not the solution. 

A degree? I will say it with absolute certainty. Racism was a necessary part of our evolution, like a number of undesirable behaviours. It won’t be going away any time soon.

6 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Totally inappropriate to template, by sleight of hand for political purposes, USA problems onto UK society. We in the UK are arguably one of the most egalitarian and least racist societies on the planet, and had moved forward immensely in regards racial equality of opportunity and marginalising racism since the 1970s and 1980s. Importing BLM and its pseudo-ideological foundation of Critical Race Theory has already set us back a decade or more in 18 short months. The abasement of Kneeling is a powerful symbol of BLM/CRT and persisting with it will damage and divide further. 

Least racist society on the planet ? What planet do you think we are on ?? Certainly not the worst that is true but just remember recent events such as the Windrush scandal which hasn’t been resolved by a long way due to the home offices reluctance to do the right thing plus Boris’s pseudo investigation into race bias which has thoroughly discredited .

The divide you refer to is the Govt’s official culture war policy because they think there’s votes in it , supporting slave trader statues and glorifying the empire is their stance . 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I wonder whether they would be carrying on if people hadn't booed it at the end of last season and in the Euros? 

The England team seemed very committed to carrying on the gesture, in part because of the fact that there was so much negativity around it. 

I can't see it stopping. People will probably get bored of booing eventually because they will realise it won't force the players to stop and it will become a normal part of the pre match routine.

At the England games at Wembley during the Euros they kept playing loud music until after the knee so whether the crowd cheered or booed it wouldn't be heard , probably did that after loud booing at Middlesbrough 

Edited by JRM

Just now, Lighthouse said:

A degree? I will say it with absolute certainty. Racism was a necessary part of our evolution, like a number of undesirable behaviours. It won’t be going away any time soon.

I was just allowing some tolerance mate. I'm not sure that racism was a necessary part of our evolution, but sadly it's not going away. What the solution is I don't know, but the knee isn't it.

The sad thing is that we'll soon have people piping up with accusations that people who don't believe the knee is productive are "racism apologists", or worse. 

11 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

I am fine with it.

If a 15 second delay before kickoff while a single phrase is being uttered gets you all raging, you might want to look inward.

That's the sort of lazy comment my last post was alluding to. Not one person has said that they are enraged by it. Read what people are actually saying. Considering it a pointless and unhelpful exercise is not being enraged by it. 

Edited by egg

2 hours ago, adrian lord said:

We in the UK are arguably one of the most egalitarian and least racist societies on the planet

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

Least racist society on the planet ? What planet do you think we are on ?? Certainly not the worst that is true but just remember recent events such as the Windrush scandal which hasn’t been resolved by a long way due to the home offices reluctance to do the right thing plus Boris’s pseudo investigation into race bias which has thoroughly discredited .

The divide you refer to is the Govt’s official culture war policy because they think there’s votes in it , supporting slave trader statues and glorifying the empire is their stance . 

He didn't say the 'least racist society', he said 'one of the least racist societies', there is a difference between those two statements. Plus it isn't unreasonable as a statement. Sure you can point to lots of racist parts of UK society, but the UK's population is more diverse than many nations and a diverse population and multiculturalism generally equates a more accepting society in regard to race. It is countries where there is less diversity in the population where they are generally less tolerate of different races. That of course does not mean the UK is any where near where it ideally should be... just more so than many others.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3

Just now, Miltonaggro said:

In the latter stages of the EUROs it was more of a 'taking the curtsy' - by October it will likely be just a knowing nod.

I’ll add 1 comment and 1 comment only. I wonder if players who refused / declined to take the knee at the euros in Bednerak, vestergaard, schmeichel, PEH, Adams, Armstrong (to name a few), will take the knee during this season. 

Mixed messages, it seems. 

I think they should either stop it or have the courage of their convictions and refuse to go to the Qatar world cup. You can't have it both ways, and having allied yourself to a full on protest against racial injustice in the world (not hunger, poverty, sex slavery, ethnic genocide, those petty little things), it's all or nothing. Personally watching 22 grown men kneeling down before every football match has long since lost any real impact, It will change nothing amongst the barbarians in our society, and as has been stated in this topic, we now live in a beautifully racially diverse and tolerant country, and are progressing forwards nicely thanks. Appreciate the gesture, but it's really not needed.

Just now, SKD said:

I’ll add 1 comment and 1 comment only. I wonder if players who refused / declined to take the knee at the euros in Bednerak, vestergaard, schmeichel, PEH, Adams, Armstrong (to name a few), will take the knee during this season. 

Mixed messages, it seems. 

Remember they are doing it because they chose too, not because they are told too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He didn't say the 'least racist society', he said 'one of the least racist societies', there is a difference between those two statements. Plus it isn't unreasonable as a statement. Sure you can point to lots of racist parts of UK society, but the UK's population is more diverse than many nations and a diverse population and multiculturalism generally equates a more accepting society in regard to race. It is countries where there is less diversity in the population where they are generally less tolerate of different races. That of course does not been the UK is any where near where it ideally should be... just more so than many others.

I think a high percentage of the abusive tweets sent after the missed pens were from accounts outside the UK? Not that sky and the like would want to highlight that, far better to continue with the message that we live in such an oppressive racist society. 

• Like 3