Taking the knee

whelk

47 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Obviously white people don’t know what it’s like to be BAME but then they don’t know what it’s like to be white, so that works both ways and makes it harder to be objective.

So when BAME people say it’s an issue maybe white people should believe them?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Believe them too, obviously everyone has different experiences, even people with the same skin colour.

That's fine then if its just about belief that racism happens. When it's something like every institution in the country being systemically racist then I'm not just going to simply listen and  believe someone that asserts what I know to be a falsehood because it has a fundamental impact on the society I live in (and particularly when you've got plenty of BAME people that disagree.)

Edited by hypochondriac

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's fine then if its just about belief that racism happens. When it's something like every institution in the country being systemically racist then I'm not just going to simply listen and  believe someone that asserts what I know to be a falsehood because it has a fundamental impact on the society I live in (and particularly when you've got plenty of BAME people that disagree.)

No but when a young black footballer says racism is a problem, it’s not really the place of some middle class white boy from a leafy suburb in Hampshire to tell them they are talking shite.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, supersonic said:

So you admit that the bast majority of establishments are institutionally racist, but yet the country isn't? Is this your latest desperate attempt to avoid the real issue here. 

It's people like you which are part of the problem.

Hey supersonic!

You have my utmost respect for sticking your head above the parapet on here. You must find it bizarre that a very small but depressingly persistent bunch of white blokes know more than you about racial abuse. Apparently you shouldn’t worry. The UK is the most tolerant place on the planet. We have laws to deal with racism. There is no point in people making a stand against the almost non existent racism because it will never go away, not that it is a problem. BAME people don’t know what it is like to be white. It is only a very very very small minority of people so not really worth worrying about. The usual suspects are all over anybody who dares to speak out against the problem we have about racism and now they are all over you, a poster who has first hand knowledge of this deeply unpleasant problem. Still, they know better than you (apparently).
I am sorry that you and your family have to put up with this crap. I am also sorry that a small bunch of very ignorant posters on here feel that they have the right to lecture you about racism. This place used to be a haven for a lot of  far right wing apologists but it is good to see more and more posters getting fed up with them and calling them out. Thanks for having the balls to front them up but don’t expect them to give up. Good luck mate!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No but when a young black footballer says racism is a problem, it’s not really the place of some middle class white boy from a leafy suburb in Hampshire to tell them they are talking shite.

So if some say they’ve experienced racism but some say they haven’t then it suggests that the systemic racism that is rife everywhere isn’t actually the case.

Just now, sadoldgit said:

Hey supersonic!

You have my utmost respect for sticking your head above the parapet on here. You must find it bizarre that a very small but depressingly persistent bunch of white blokes know more than you about racial abuse. Apparently you shouldn’t worry. The UK is the most tolerant place on the planet. We have laws to deal with racism. There is no point in people making a stand against the almost non existent racism because it will never go away, not that it is a problem. BAME people don’t know what it is like to be white. It is only a very very very small minority of people so not really worth worrying about. The usual suspects are all over anybody who dares to speak out against the problem we have about racism and now they are all over you, a poster who has first hand knowledge of this deeply unpleasant problem. Still, they know better than you (apparently).
I am sorry that you and your family have to put up with this crap. I am also sorry that a small bunch of very ignorant posters on here feel that they have the right to lecture you about racism. This place used to be a haven for a lot of  far right wing apologists but it is good to see more and more posters getting fed up with them and calling them out. Thanks for having the balls to front them up but don’t expect them to give up. Good luck mate!

Of which you are one!

20 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Has anyone claimed that racism isn't a problem? 

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

No.  And nobody has said that a young black footballer is talking shite when they say racism is a problem either.  It's just more bollocks that aintclever has made up.

Exactly. More bollocks and even more bollocks from Soggy. 

“This place used to be a haven for a lot of  far right wing apologists but it is good to see more and more posters getting fed up with them and calling them out.“

what utter bullshit in yet another pious post. The way he goes on he knows more about racism than anyone!

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Exactly. More bollocks and even more bollocks from Soggy. 

“This place used to be a haven for a lot of  far right wing apologists but it is good to see more and more posters getting fed up with them and calling them out.“

what utter bullshit in yet another pious post. The way he goes on he knows more about racism than anyone!

The best bit is when he responds to a post which is a reply to one of my posts and then talks about me without addressing me directly because he's pretending to have me on ignore. I didn't bother reading all of his post because I can imagine it drones on about the far right people on here and presenting his racially divisive view of the world as being the majority view rather than a very small minority. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

The best bit is when he responds to a post which is a reply to one of my posts and then talks about me without addressing me directly because he's pretending to have me on ignore. I didn't bother reading all of his post because I can imagine it drones on about the far right people on here and presenting his racially divisive view of the world as being the majority view rather than a very small minority. 

To be fair, he's quoted everyone he pretends to have on ignore in his sanctimonius post, without directly referencing them.

Just now, hypochondriac said:

He’s does the same with me. And yes he’s droning on about the far right people on this forum and how people are standing up to them. Also having s go at white people thinking they know more about racism than BAME which is strange as its something he bangs in about all the time, he knows about racism as he lives in a small village with a 98.5% white population. Quite tragic he’s pretending to have us on ignore though. 

24 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Some black players experience some racism from some people. We all know and recognise that. Nobody - nobody whatsoever - on here has said otherwise.

The problem is that people like you are getting all agitated because people have said a) that the knee won't solve the racism issue and b) that because some divs are racist, that doesn't mean that racism is rife in this country and c) that there is a systemic problem. 

What's weird to me is that white boys from leafy suburbs try to lecture other white boys from leafy suburbs on racism.

What next, a lecture on how childbirth actually feels, or how bad hot flushes from the menopause are, or some other subject that you've no experience about thus know fuck all about? 

You pious idiots are irritating. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, egg said:

What next, a lecture on how childbirth actually feels, or how bad hot flushes from the menopause are, or some other subject that you've no experience about thus know fuck all about? 

To be fair, many men have suffered indirectly from these things, and have been told most vociferously how they feel.

Just now, badgerx16 said:

To be fair, many men have suffered indirectly from these things, and have been told most vociferously how they feel.

Ha!! Indeed...and I've also been told from black people how racism feels...but I'm not in any position to try to explain to anyone how childbirth, menopause or racism ACTUALLY feels. 

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Ha!! Indeed...and I've also been told from black people how racism feels...but I'm not in any position to try to explain to anyone how childbirth, menopause or racism ACTUALLY feels. 

I’m always amused how despite two of my best mates being black, with one who is like a brother to me, I’m like another son/brother to his family and he is to mine, yet apparently I’m a racist far right and pull out the “I’ve got a black mate” line, yeah because all far right racists spend their weekends and holidays with black people. 

The point is that the subjective experiences of a black person or even a group of black people does not mean that that experience is now representative of all BAME people in the UK. It's incredibly unfortunate that supersonic and his family has had some lowlifes be racist towards them but I know a couple of Black people who I have had this conversation with who have had the opposite experience. Supersonic's horrible experiences aren't proof of systemic racism in the same way that my friend's positive experiences are not total proof that it doesn't exist. Using your own subjective experiences and then simply asserting something and citing flawed Guardian articles as sources doesn't make something true. 

I’m always amused how despite two of my best mates being black, with one who is like a brother to me, I’m like another son/brother to his family and he is to mine, yet apparently I’m a racist far right and pull out the “I’ve got a black mate” line, yeah because all far right racists spend their weekends and holidays with black people. 

I think the rule is that it's not racist to have black friends, but it's racist to say that you have black friends, but if you say racism is rife and/or are otherwise pious, then it's not racist to say that you have black friends. I think. Someone will doubtless now tell me that I'm racist as I've now said I have black friends. It's very tough being white these days. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In the real world literally no one talks about this. My friendship group has all sorts of ethnicities and races in it and they're embarrassed by most of the black lives matter stuff the consensus is that it's divisive and a net negative for the country. We barely discuss it though because 99% of our discussions are about football, beer, holidays, families and taking the piss out of each other like most group of mates. All those people fixated on racial relations and looking for problems all the time are the problem.

If I went and asked them about racism then I expect they would say something like with so much going on in life with children, jobs and relationships etc who on Earth has the time to get hung on something as insignificant as skin colour? 

Edited by hypochondriac

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I don’t think many are full on racist (well a few evil scum I guess) and equally don’t believe the liberals don’t have a racist bone in their body. We are all a mix of various prejudices from our backgrounds, environment etc. I genuinely don’t get why made such a black and white thing. Tiresome saw many dickheads getting so worked up about an Juventus women tweet with someone making Asian eyes as if they were witnessing an SS guard murdering a baby.

Just now, hypochondriac said:

In the real world literally no one talks about this. My friendship group has all sorts of ethnicities and races in it and they're embarrassed by most of the black lives matter stuff the consensus is that it's divisive and a net negative for the country. We barely discuss it though because 99% of our discussions are about football, beer, holidays, families and taking the piss out of each other like most group of mates. All those people fixated on racial relations and looking for problems all the time are the problem. 

That's my experience too. In my diverse social group, race isn't a subject, we're just friends and our race, religion, or whatever is a non issue. If those subjects are topical though and come up, those better placed to understand the issue have views that we respect. What would never happen though is the white guys would try to speak for the black/asian guys on race issues as they simply can't. Bizarre that the white guys on here feel able to do that from a position of knowledge. Sure, we can seek to see things from their perspective, but in all honesty we can't speak from any position of real authority. 

9 minutes ago, egg said:

I think the rule is that it's not racist to have black friends, but it's racist to say that you have black friends, but if you say racism is rife and/or are otherwise pious, then it's not racist to say that you have black friends. I think. Someone will doubtless now tell me that I'm racist as I've now said I have black friends. It's very tough being white these days. 

I think you need to hold on a bit until someone far more knowledgeable tells you what you should think...

2 minutes ago, egg said:

That's my experience too. In my diverse social group, race isn't a subject, we're just friends and our race, religion, or whatever is a non issue. If those subjects are topical though and come up, those better placed to understand the issue have views that we respect. What would never happen though is the white guys would try to speak for the black/asian guys on race issues as they simply can't. Bizarre that the white guys on here feel able to do that from a position of knowledge. Sure, we can seek to see things from their perspective, but in all honesty we can't speak from any position of real authority. 

What makes me chuckle when soggy tries to lecture everyone about racism is thinking about one of my mates from the Cameroon who I know would disagree strongly with everything he's said because he bloody loves this country. Imagining him in conversation with him and seeing his head explode makes me smile. 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly. Of course we discussed the US and London riots and BLM stuff but interestingly my friend says that the most racism they get these days are from middle class people being quite patronising to them rather anyone calling them black cunts in pubs which is want people would have you believe.

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

I don’t think many are full on racist (well a few evil scum I guess) and equally don’t believe the liberals don’t have a racist bone in their body. We are all a mix of various prejudices from our backgrounds, environment etc. I genuinely don’t get why made such a black and white thing. Tiresome saw many dickheads getting so worked up about an Juventus women tweet with someone making Asian eyes as if they were witnessing an SS guard murdering a baby.

My half Asian mate sent me that picture today and made a ricky Gervais ho Lee fook reference. He thought it was funny. 

Just now, whelk said:

Is someone trying to convince me that black people can have different views on matters? Surely not

No one is trying to convince you of anything mate, other than aintfrover and soggy who seem to think the whole world is racist.

20 minutes ago, egg said:

I have gay friends but that doesn’t put a disclaimer that I at no point have any homophobic views. However very much helps me understands how important it is to respect people regardless of sexual preferences, race etc. I am no saint but just general tolerance is such a positive thing for everyone. 

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What makes me chuckle when soggy tries to lecture everyone about racism is thinking about one of my mates from the Cameroon who I know would disagree strongly with everything he's said because he bloody loves this country. Imagining him in conversation with him and seeing his head explode makes me smile. 

He lives in another world. Desperate to appear to being doing the right thing, much like the other issue he is quite vocal about, protests a bit too much.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He lives in another world. Desperate to appear to being doing the right thing, much like the other issue he is quite vocal about, protests a bit too much.

The type of person who if loads of black people moved into his street would be upset and probably move out. 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The type of person who if loads of black people moved into his street would be upset and probably move out. 

I would question why someone so desperate to appear not racist would chose to live in a small town with virtually no none white people. I notice he refused to answer my question a few weeks ago about despite banging on about racism and BLM for the last year telling everyone what they should be doing when was the last time he actually saw a none white person in real life. Given he lives in a 98.5% white village and due to Covid has hardly left it in 18 months 

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, egg said:

The problem is that people like you are getting all agitated because people have said a) that the knee won't solve the racism issue and b) that because some divs are racist, that doesn't mean that racism is rife in this country and c) that there is a systemic problem.

You are talking shite as usual. I don’t think taking the knee will solve anything and I don’t think racism is ‘rife’ in this country. I just think people who boo taking the knee are bellends.

• Like 1

Just now, aintforever said:

You are talking shite as usual. I don’t think taking the knee will solve anything and I don’t think racism is ‘rife’ in this country. I just think people who boo taking the knee are bellends.

So cutting through all your posts on the issue, you "just think" that booing the knee is daft. Gotcha. We  agree on that. 

I would pretty much guarantee that hardly anyone on here has booed taking the knee, but quite a few don’t agree with it. Yet you’re banging on about how the racists have outed themselves. So that’s not true is it.

12 minutes ago, aintforever said:

If that's all you were saying then why did you start going on about posters disbelieving black people who thought that racism was a problem? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If that's all you were saying then why did you start going on about posters disbelieving black people who thought that racism was a problem? 

Because wether it is ‘rife’ or not in our country is irrelevant. Clearly many black footballers and their colleagues see it as a problem and they should be respected for trying to do something about it, however pointless, not booed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Because wether it is ‘rife’ or not in our country is irrelevant. Clearly many black footballers and their colleagues see it as a problem and they should be respected for trying to do something about it, however pointless, not booed.

But as you said above “taking the knee won’t solve anything” you must agree it’s pretty pointless.

• Like 1

But as you said above “taking the knee won’t solve anything” you must agree it’s pretty pointless.

It highlights the issue which is a good thing but obviously won’t solve anything, I don’t think anyone is expecting it to.

• Like 1

Just now, aintforever said:

It highlights the issue which is a good thing but obviously won’t solve anything, I don’t think anyone is expecting it to.

So before they took the knee no one knew there was racism?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aintforever said:

But objecting to the gesture of taking the knee is not the same as disbelieving that racism is a problem. You're incorrectly conflating two separate issues. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

But objecting to the gesture of taking the knee is not the same as disbelieving that racism is a problem. You're incorrectly conflating two separate issues. 

Not at all, It’s quite simple. The players obviously think it’s a problem for them so should be applauded for trying to do something, not booed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Not at all, It’s quite simple. The players obviously think it’s a problem for them so should be applauded for trying to do something, not booed.

They’re highlighting the issue. Your words. So are they shining a light on something that no one was aware of? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aintforever said:

7 hours ago, aintforever said:

6 hours ago, aintforever said:

So you think the gesture is pointless and is obviously not going to solve anything - your own words as highlighted above - but you think those that are persisting with it should be applauded for their futile efforts?

Bit patronising isn't it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So you think the gesture is pointless and is obviously not going to solve anything - your own words as highlighted above - but you think those that are persisting with it should be applauded for their futile efforts?

Bit patronising isn't it?

Not at all. It won’t solve anything but might make a bit of difference, it’s impossible to tell. It definitely puts the issue more in the spotlight, the only reason racism is being discussed so much here is because they are doing it.

No one is expecting it to change the views of old gammons like you though.

• Like 1

Not at all. It won’t solve anything but might make a bit of difference, it’s impossible to tell. It definitely puts the issue more in the spotlight, the only reason racism is being discussed so much here is because they are doing it.

It might make things worse. There's a bit of evidence to suggest that's the case. 

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

You're all over the place. 

Using your own words is the knee a) "pointless" and "won't solve anything" or b) "might make a bit of difference"

It can only be a or b. What's your final answer? 

And dishing out abuse because your posts are getting pulled apart is not cool.