Taking the knee

whelk

13 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

What about the muslim who cuts his hair ? Do you reckon he's a Bosnian ?

Looking at the demographics 96.9% of the population of the village are British, with only 0.3% of the population muslim, with 0.1% speaking Farsi. I've got a feeling the muslim hairdresser is a second generation Iranian or similar. It also has a far low percentage of immigration than the rest of Britain. Easy to talk about racism from there.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Nice pun.  Not sure what he's hoping to achieve, unless he just can't be bothered to keep the anti-racism message going.

Alonso  said: ‘I am fully against racism and every type of discrimination. I just prefer to put my finger to the badge where it says no to racism, like they do in other sports and football in other countries. ‘Maybe it’s losing a bit of strength the other way, so I just prefer to do it this way and to show I am fully supportive.’

Like other players he's probably fed up with being told to do it.

• Like 2

I went along to the Bournemouth QPR game last week. Only the referee and the three QPR forwards took the knee. I think the stadium announcer phrased it very well. After a preamble about how everybody was against racism in all its forms he said that whether an individual player might choose to take the knee or not we ought to respect their decision.

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Alonso  said: ‘I am fully against racism and every type of discrimination. I just prefer to put my finger to the badge where it says no to racism, like they do in other sports and football in other countries. ‘Maybe it’s losing a bit of strength the other way, so I just prefer to do it this way and to show I am fully supportive.’

Like other players he's probably fed up with being told to do it.

Don’t disagree with him, however, will be an easy one for those who do to just disregard.

’Not sure I’d take much moral guidance from someone who killed whilst drink driving and allegedly bought his way out of a prison sentence.’

Genuinely think there’s a level of indifference towards taking the knee amongst a lot of players. There’s a group that feel strongly about it and others that are going along with it because it’s easier than explaining themselves or putting the thought into coming up with a better idea.

There’s clearly certain things in UK society regarding racism that need to be addressed but broadly speaking, we’re not a racist country. Any impact the knee could have had was lost over a year ago.

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Marco Alonso wont be taking the knee. Brave of him to come out and take stand. 

Still banging on about taking the knee! 

I can only imagine the mental gymnastics you go through every Saturday when your heroes in red and white take the knee and all four stands applaud. :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Still banging on about taking the knee! 

I can only imagine the mental gymnastics you go through every Saturday when your heroes in red and white take the knee and all four stands applaud. :lol:

Hardly "banging on" to make the first post in weeks about mentioning a player is stopping doing it.

As for the latest catchphrase on here mental gymnastics, none needed pal, but then i dont live in a world where i nod along in agreement with whatever cause i'm told to follow. 

32 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Don’t disagree with him, however, will be an easy one for those who do to just disregard.

’Not sure I’d take much moral guidance from someone who killed whilst drink driving and allegedly bought his way out of a prison sentence.’

Genuinely think there’s a level of indifference towards taking the knee amongst a lot of players. There’s a group that feel strongly about it and others that are going along with it because it’s easier than explaining themselves or putting the thought into coming up with a better idea.

There’s clearly certain things in UK society regarding racism that need to be addressed but broadly speaking, we’re not a racist country. Any impact the knee could have had was lost over a year ago.

Not sure how he thinks that pointing at a badge that no one can see from the stands will make a greater difference than kneeling down. 

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

Not sure how he thinks that pointing at a badge that no one can see from the stands will make a greater difference than kneeling down. 

It won’t.

Which is why I think most just won’t bother ‘putting the thought into coming up with a better idea’ and continue to take the knee.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Nice pun.  Not sure what he's hoping to achieve, unless he just can't be bothered to keep the anti-racism message going.

Which is completely the wrong attitude to have towards the whole issue. If you want to kneel, do it. If you want others to join in, put forward your case and let them make up their own minds. To say that we all have to do it unless we can put forward a reasonable case for exemption isn’t acceptable. It’s like asking someone to explain in 1,000 words or less why they aren’t a Sikh.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

But not obvious enough that you can write it out?

From your list you're suggesting that everyone who doesn't take the knee is a cunt. There you are.

However, like most things in life it is always more nuanced, and if your list didn't ignore the high profile non-knee takers you may have realised that.

I took the knee before a walking football match the other night to tie my boot lace and was booed by an old racist on my team, bantz.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

The overly virtuous and divisive kneeling nonsense caused more division last night during the England v Hungary match. When will we learn? 

So a fight breaks out with police after they try to arrest a racist and it's taking the knee that's the problem. Brilliant! :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

So a fight breaks out with police after they try to arrest a racist and it's taking the knee that's the problem. Brilliant! :lol: 

Looks like Aintclevers virtue signal claxon has gone off again

See the source image
Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Was the racist doing anything before the police tried to arrest him / her that would, you know, signal that they were a racist, or was it just a random arrest?

Hungarian fans have such a good disciplinary record that it was probably just a random arrest by the Met police on the orders of your hero Cressida Dick.

29 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Are the people taking the knee the ones in the wrong here? No

Are they helping to tackle/reduce/fight/end racism, bearing in mind that is their stated aim? Also no.

36 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Are the people taking the knee the ones in the wrong here? No

Are they helping to tackle/reduce/fight/end racism, bearing in mind that is their stated aim? Also no.

Exactly. Unfortunately some on here are so entrenched in the view they think they should have they dont seem to be able to comprehend this.

38 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Exactly. That's what I was saying to the fuck-wit from Dorchester.

Yet you missed off the second point which means you didn't get what Lighthouse was saying. Which is unsurprising.

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

What's your evidence for this. 

What's my evidence to disprove someone else's non-sequitur, based on little more than wishful thinking? That's not really how evidence works, the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. I have no reason to believe kneeling would reduce racism any more than building a snowman would reduce child abuse or hopping on one leg would reduce fly tipping. The gesture may well mean something to the people doing it but I think it was abundantly clear last night that it was having zero to negative effect on a section of Hungarian fans.

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Possibly, it's impossible to gauge.

You must have a view. Dont try this raising awareness nonsense you've tried before, everyone knew racism existed before all this taking the knee stuff. The simple question is do you think taking the knee has had a positive impact or not?

Edited by Turkish

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You must have a view. Dont try this raising awareness nonsense you've tried before, everyone knew racism existed before all this taking the knee stuff. The simple question is do you think taking the knee has had a positive impact or not?

Definitely.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

What's my evidence to disprove someone else's non-sequitur, based on little more than wishful thinking? That's not really how evidence works, the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. I have no reason to believe kneeling would reduce racism any more than building a snowman would reduce child abuse or hopping on one leg would reduce fly tipping. The gesture may well mean something to the people doing it but I think it was abundantly clear last night that it was having zero to negative effect on a section of Hungarian fans.

It highlights the issue and instigates conversations. So in my opinion it's working. That may make some people double down and provoke incidents, but one would suspect that they are the higher hanging fruits.