So many empty seats for a sell-out?

Daft Kerplunk

The game was supposed to be sold out but there were so many empty seats, including groups of seats together. Are the club keeping some behind for match day walk-ups? Is it some weird security or accounting ploy? Are they selling tickets to tourist groups who don’t sell them?

I know there were saints fans trying to get tickets for yesterday so surely our fans would be better than so many empty seats. Really odd. 

12 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

The game was supposed to be sold out but there were so many empty seats, including groups of seats together. Are the club keeping some behind for match day walk-ups? Is it some weird security or accounting ploy? Are they selling tickets to tourist groups who don’t sell them?

I know there were saints fans trying to get tickets for yesterday so surely our fans would be better than so many empty seats. Really odd. 

Nothing odd about it at all. Every seat was sold, but some people didn’t attend despite paying for their seat. 

• Like 2

When was the last time you saw St Mary's actually full? We've had countless 'sell-outs' over the years (even when holidays/poor form haven't been an issue) and it's been impossible to buy tickets, yet come matchday batches of empty seats. That must be pretty frustrating for fans who tried but were unable to purchase.

13 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Been told that part of the reason is when season ticket holders don't turn up and haven't released their seats for resale. The club ultimatley don't care as the seats are paid for, but equally the atmosphere then suffers, particulary for TV games. Not ideal if it continues for the relegation run in. 

Would imagine that given our form, position, the fact it was on TV, it's Easter, and it's a red hot man City side... Has all played a part in fans not bothering this particular weekend. 

Edited by Saint86

54 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Nothing odd about it at all. Every seat was sold, but some people didn’t attend despite paying for their seat. 

Exactly, its not rocket science.

I couldnt go, put it on the Exchange but have no idea (as yet) if it sold.

Many season ticket holders possibly didnt put it up for sale knowing they couldnt go.

My friend had a leg operation a couple of weeks ago and was struggling for comfort on Saturday, and the stewards who in fairness couldn't have been more helpful, moved the three of us to the front row Itchen/Northam corner so she could stretch her leg out  where amazingly there were quite a few empty seats at the front all together.  Not a good look though for TV cameras.

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 1

On 10/04/2023 at 16:12, 64saint said:

My friend had a leg operation a couple of weeks ago and was struggling for comfort on Saturday, and the stewards who in fairness couldn't have been more helpful, moved the three of us to the front row Itchen/Northam corner so she could stretch her leg out  where amazingly there were quite a few empty seats at the front all together.  Not a good look though for TV cameras.

If I remember correctly from doing the Stadium tour a good few years ago, there is some requirement to provide alternative seating for situations like your friends If by some misfortune you suddenly find you have mobility issues and you have a season ticket up in row FF its going to be a chore to get all the way up there, and also should the stadium need to be evacuated, your lack of mobility makes you an obstruction.

My Daughter likes being at pitch level and when I have bought her tickets in the Chapel, seldom have Row A been available, she has often been on B with empty seats in front of her 

• Like 1