Hampshire CCC 2024

Picard

19 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

The folly of championship cricket in April. Just to accommodate the wretched 100.

Just looking back County Championship 2015 First fixtures  12th April.  2016 10th April.  2017  7th April. 2018 13th April. 2019 5th April. The Hundred didn’t start until 2021? So it looks like an early April start was quite normal before The Hundred?

1 hour ago, wadesmith said:

Just looking back County Championship 2015 First fixtures  12th April.  2016 10th April.  2017  7th April. 2018 13th April. 2019 5th April. The Hundred didn’t start until 2021? So it looks like an early April start was quite normal before The Hundred?

My bad then! Just not a particular fan of the hundred, guess thats a discussionn for another day.

No play for us today again. So just the points for a draw.  Essex are making inroads into the Notts batting and they may well win. We could be nigh on 20 points behind from the outset. Perhaps the ECB should reflect on the value of seriously rain affected matches.

Edited by Window Cleaner

2 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

No play for us today again. So just the points for a draw.  Essex are making inroads into the Notts batting and they may well win. We could be nigh on 20 points behind from the outset. Perhaps the ECB should reflect on the value of seriously rain affected matches.

Ah, you get 8 points for a rained-off match, didn't know that. Notts in a bit of trouble against Essex though, awful batting.

Doing ok against Lancs so far today.  Durham are having a mare though, given Warks are 380-1!!  Shows how unlucky we were to have our game with them rained off in it's entirety 

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

Doing ok against Lancs so far today.  Durham are having a mare though, given Warks are 380-1!!  Shows how unlucky we were to have our game with them rained off in it's entirety 

487:1 and counting.

• Like 1

9/10 full innings to be played so far have gone for over 350. Somerset on 285 by far the lowest score so far, so the ball is clearly not doing much for the bowlers.

Edit: got to feel sorry for Bell there.

11 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Looks tough going in the field, dropping Jennings on about 30 didn't really help.

Similar pattern everywhere, probably the passivity of these Kookaburra balls.

We dropped him on 30?!  That was costly....

Not a great start for our openers this season.  We're going to need to bat until tea tomorrow to salvage the game it seems

17 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

We dropped him on 30?!  That was costly....

Not a great start for our openers this season.  We're going to need to bat until tea tomorrow to salvage the game it seems

Yep, Gubbins the culprit, normally a pretty good catcher but this time he sort of fell forward after catching the ball and it sort of fell out of his hands.

Hope we can eventually expect better from these openers becaue in this match it doesn't look at all great.

Hope we can get Turner in soon because Abbas and Abbott look about done, apart from the odd good ball that is. 

Still back to the hand-made Duke balls after this game I think. More seam to work with.

Edited by Window Cleaner
  • Like 1

I saw Barker walking around the boundary at one point, his knee definitely didn’t look to be moving too comfortably. None of our county bowlers are getting any younger, I’m hoping we’re looking for a fresh face or two next season.

13 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Yep, Gubbins the culprit, normally a pretty good catcher but this time he sort of fell forward after catching the ball and it sort of fell out of his hands.

Hope we can eventually expect better from these openers becaue in this match it doesn't look at all great.

Hope we can get Turner in soon because Abbas and Abbott look about done, apart from the odd good ball that is. 

Still back to the hand-made Duke balls after this game I think. More seam to work with.

I think saying Abbas looks  about done is harsh. A bloke who 6 years ago was the quickest test cricketer to 50 wickets, has taken about 150 wickets for us in the last 3 years up to this match  at a consistent rate with an average of under 20. Plays one game with a Kookaburra ball on a flat wicket that favours spins takes one wicket. ‘Oh he looks about done’ . Come on, that’s a pretty poor comment...or you literally know nothing about quicker. I’m not trying to get a rise (I know you know about cricket) ...but come on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

I think saying Abbas looks  about done is harsh. A bloke who 6 years ago was the quickest test cricketer to 50 wickets, has taken about 150 wickets for us in the last 3 years up to this match  at a consistent rate with an average of under 20. Plays one game with a Kookaburra ball on a flat wicket that favours spins takes one wicket. ‘Oh he looks about done’ . Come on, that’s a pretty poor comment...or you literally know nothing about quicker. I’m not trying to get a rise (I know you know about cricket) ...but come on.

OK, perhaps "about done" was a bit OTT but Abbas has looked far less effective than the Lancashire seamers in this game. When  there's nothing in the wicket for Abbas and Abbott nowadays they look very laboured and you just don't see the dangerosity from their bowling. They're not beating the batters very often  and it's just really plugging away over after over. We need younger men, fired up with something still to prove. Still think we've got this wrong again on this showing, but let's wait and see a couple more games. Our openers make me shudder though, there again  early days but I've not seen anything different from the last couple of seasons as of yet, but it's two outings so early days. Prest looked good though, Gubbins and Vince wasteful of good starts once again. I hope they're far more cautious today.

2 minutes ago, Window Cleaner said:

OK, perhaps "about done" was a bit OTT but Abbas has looked far less effective than the Lancashire seamers in this game. When  there's nothing in the wicket for Abbas and Abbott nowadays they look very laboured and you just don't see the dangerosity from their bowling. They're not beating the batters very often  and it's just really plugging away over after over. We need younger men, fired up with something still to prove. Still think we've got this wrong again on this showing, but let's wait and see a couple more games. Our openers make me shudder though, there again  early days but I've not seen anything different from the last couple of seasons as of yet, but it's two outings so early days. Prest looked good though, Gubbins and Vince wasteful of good starts once again. I hope they're far more cautious today.

Fair enough. There’s Definately an iceberg approaching with this team. About 6 of them will be pretty much ‘past it’ in 2 years. Turners the great hope..but if he’s as good as I think he is, we will lose him almost permanently to England, if we don’t ..then it probably means he’s injured. This team is going to need a dramatic change of personnel soon, I’m hoping it will come through the ranks, rather than us picking off talented players from other counties, which when it comes to cricket never sits comftable  with me. I will say I think this squad squandered its opportunity to win the championship (which I think we should have done twice in the last five years) & it’s time has past..so I’ll meet you halfway.

• Like 1

There is some very good talent coming through, Prest is maturing and I think both Middleton and Albert have got what it takes. Bowling wise there is Turner, Wheal can look useful, plus I think Currie has something. 
I do get your point though - it’s an odd team with either under 23s or over 30s, and you’d imagine this is the last season for two of Barker, Abbas and Abbott. You need a few players in their prime to win championships. 

Might also be the season where Eckland shifts Brown out.

To the missed opportunity - agree with that, and you can pretty much point to the failure to address the openers (they’ve gone from Weatherly and Soames to desperation in two bowlers in Holland and Organ). Still looks like a problem now but Orr and Middleton look like they have the potential if not the application yet.

think they’ll do alright this year, but further of winning it than last.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hodgey said:

There is some very good talent coming through, Prest is maturing and I think both Middleton and Albert have got what it takes. Bowling wise there is Turner, Wheal can look useful, plus I think Currie has something. 
I do get your point though - it’s an odd team with either under 23s or over 30s, and you’d imagine this is the last season for two of Barker, Abbas and Abbott. You need a few players in their prime to win championships. 

Might also be the season where Eckland shifts Brown out.

To the missed opportunity - agree with that, and you can pretty much point to the failure to address the openers (they’ve gone from Weatherly and Soames to desperation in two bowlers in Holland and Organ). Still looks like a problem now but Orr and Middleton look like they have the potential if not the application yet.

think they’ll do alright this year, but further of winning it than last.

My concern with Turner is he’s already suffering injuries at a young age..coupled with the fact he’s tall..that can be a massive red flag. He’s a huge talent. I think Prest could be as good as Vince. Middleton’s progress slightly concerns me. Albert very good. It’s going to be an interesting few years. I really hope we can bring players through. I’ve tweeted Hampshire before noting that I don’t think we have ever bought a player with an Asian background through the ranks, which when you consider Southampton’s Asian population seems incredible & may speak more about cricket in general than just Hampshire. I believe they are now reaching out into the community for young players which hopefully may address what I perceive is an issue.

• Like 1

And so on to Warks at the Utilita vendredi.   Warks made a big score against Durham last time out and it seems that their openers are racking up the runs.

A win for Hants might not be the most evident result here. Back to the Duke balls though so things might change after two rounds of batter-friendly, oft soft and  shineless, soggy Kookaburras. 

Edited by Window Cleaner

Yeah it's been a depressing start to the season.... Hopefully we're at least good enough still to avoid being in a relegation fight.  Otherwise looks like the one day formats are the chances for silverware once again

• Like 1

Wandered over to watch the morning session, wish I hadn't bothered really. Cold, windy, overcast and not a single wicket taken. Just looking at the other scores, Lancs are currently 71-6, having seen off our bowlers quite comfortably last week. I fear it's going to be a long season in the CC.

14 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Is the wicket just flat as a pancake or are we bowling a load of pies? Pretty much been a boundary an over all day! 

Bit of both really. The bowling is poor in the main but it's a slow wicket. 2 ball changes so far, one other out but it was a no ball.

The Warks batters are doing whatever they please, couple of free hits per over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Wandered over to watch the morning session, wish I hadn't bothered really. Cold, windy, overcast and not a single wicket taken. Just looking at the other scores, Lancs are currently 71-6, having seen off our bowlers quite comfortably last week. I fear it's going to be a long season in the CC.

I see us being somewhere between 5th and tenth.

• Like 1

I thought 5th at start of season,the bowling looks a real worry though. I think we might regret giving Abbot this year and maybe Abbas as well,KA has been a magnificent signing,but at 36,playing 4 day cricket as a strike bowler is  a very tough ask. I would be delighted to be proved wrong of course.

1 hour ago, Andrew Watson said:

I thought 5th at start of season,the bowling looks a real worry though. I think we might regret giving Abbot this year and maybe Abbas as well,KA has been a magnificent signing,but at 36,playing 4 day cricket as a strike bowler is  a very tough ask. I would be delighted to be proved wrong of course.

In fairness, Abbott still took 44 wickets last year, and Abbas 53, so I don't think retaining them was necessarily the wrong move. Abbas' figures today were fine, comfortably the most economical as you'd probably expect. I think the main issue is the backup - Holland and Fuller are fine in certain conditions, but they do also tend to go for a lot of runs when they're not able to dominate, and it's such an old bowling attack overall. If someone like John Turner or even Brad Wheal were getting regular games then I don't think it would feel quite so bad.

10 hours ago, stevegrant said:

In fairness, Abbott still took 44 wickets last year, and Abbas 53, so I don't think retaining them was necessarily the wrong move. Abbas' figures today were fine, comfortably the most economical as you'd probably expect. I think the main issue is the backup - Holland and Fuller are fine in certain conditions, but they do also tend to go for a lot of runs when they're not able to dominate, and it's such an old bowling attack overall. If someone like John Turner or even Brad Wheal were getting regular games then I don't think it would feel quite so bad.

10 hours ago, stevegrant said:

I was quite suprised we did a short term loan of Brad Wheal to Glamorgan this week, but hopefully just to tune him up a bit. Although he’s regularly flattered to deceive I was gutted when Mason Crane was sent out on loan for the year. A real victim of modern day cricketing conditions & a fantastic one day player...but Maybe it’s for the best, I imagine he’s excited at the prospect of finally getting some overs in. I remember watching him dismantle  a very strong Nottinghamshire 7 years ago & me & the bloke next to me both agreed he was going to be future star, real shame how it’s panned out.

I’m optimistically going to punt the old adage ‘Dont Judge until both teams have batted’ it does look a perfect batting wicket. Saying that batting after  the opposition have scored 500 plus (which appears possible) tends to magically make the wicket suddenly become livelier . Let’s wait & see. 😊 

JUst the one bowling bonus point again. That makes two from two home games. Wouldn't think that it's happened very often before. Prest came on and got a wicket in his first over, since gthen Warks jogging along steadily with no further loss.

We'll see what Hammond-Dalby does on this wicket later on.

5 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

JUst the one bowling bonus point again. That makes two from two home games. Wouldn't think that it's happened very often before. Prest came on and got a wicket in his first over, since gthen Warks jogging along steadily with no further loss.

We'll see what Hammond-Dalby does on this wicket later on.

Tidy but Warks attack even more toothless and slow than Hants. They’ve got some height but the pitches are too slow early season to come into play or to help the spinners as any turn is easily covered and not much bounce around. 85mph minimum to get anything out of it and neither of the XIs has a bowler of that type without Wheal and Turner. 

Good first drop partnership. Orr doesn’t look any better technically than Organ so far, both fish outside off but at least Organ had to deal with the Dukes on wet pitches.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

6 hours ago, wadesmith said:

I’m optimistically going to punt the old adage ‘Dont Judge until both teams have batted’ it does look a perfect batting wicket. Saying that batting after  the opposition have scored 500 plus (which appears possible) tends to magically make the wicket suddenly become livelier . Let’s wait & see. 😊 

Yep pretty perceptive  above comment from me here. It’s becoming obvious from the last two games that the Rose bowl is a bit of a batting paradise. Probably two early to judge our bowling based on the last two games. To reduce them from 289 for 1 to 455 all out in retrospect was a magnificent effort.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

In other news, spare a thought for Delhi Capitals, who've just been whacked for 130 off 6 overs.

Sunrisers have hit 266:7, 277:3, and 287:3 in this IPL tournament.

Edited by badgerx16

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Sunrisers have hit 266:7, 277:3, and 287:3 in this IPL tournament.

Better still, their two biggest scores against Mumbai and RCB almost got chased down. I think RCB got 260+ and still lost, talk about batting on an absolute road.

After a mid-innings colapse of 45-5 we evenually set a total 90 behind them. They'll probably go out all guns blazing and try to get a lead over 200 by lunch tomorrow, then declare, but barring anything astonishing we're heading for another draw.

On 19/04/2024 at 04:35, Window Cleaner said:

Our bowling looks pretty abysmal this morning. Warks openers continuing their good form. 

Think I can say already, we'll not be breaking our ,what, 51 year championship duck again this season.

It's looking like it'll be a two horse race between Surrey and Essex.