Jan the man appreciation thread

Thedelldays

WOW...what an impact this guy is having on our club already...

I was not too unhappy that pearson went but was dreading this set up when it first arrived as it stank of Lowe wanting to do this to make a point as he wanted this set up two years ago...and harped on about using the kids etc..

but boy, Jan the man sure knows what he is doing BIG TIME....puts any pearson/burley team into pale insignificance...

also, with some fans bemusement, he even states he wants another striker and after today, fans are agreeing with him...

I went to the west ham game and left the ground shell shocked on how well we played and the style.I just hope those 'stay awayers' come back and see what brilliant football he has produced with a bunch of reserves and kids..

hats off to you sir, well done and thanks for all this good stuff we are seeing..

I think I speak on most saints fans behalf when I say we are litterally gob smacked on how well you have transformed our club...:D

Unfreakinbelivable...just made an expensive 11,000 miles round trip worth every cent and more. Superb to watch simply can't remember leaving a game so enthused for yonks.

We still have a million miles to go, but Jeezarse some of that was breathtaking. Confidence, composure, awareness and good old hard graft.

Three great things, dominated the game, controlled the game and won the game with panache.

Both teams we so narrowly lost too are highly rated and have started undefeated.

Unfreakinbelivable...just made an expensive 11,000 miles round trip worth every cent and more. Superb to watch simply can't remember leaving a game so enthused for yonks.

We still have a million miles to go, but Jeezarse some of that was breathtaking. Confidence, composure, awareness and good old hard graft.

Three great things, dominated the game, controlled the game and won the game with panache.

Both teams we so narrowly lost too are highly rated and have started undefeated.

Hang on. You did L.A. to Derby and back for one game?

wait for alpine to come on,lol.anyway full praise to jan,its a pleasure to watch saints again.weve had to put up with some crap with has been players the last couple of seasons and its so good to see players wanting to do it for themselves and sfc.jan,give us more total football,win or lose its a pleasure to watch,coyr

What I like about the guy is his irrepressible enthusiasm and optimism for the job. Compared to moaning saggy chops and Burley's downbeat attitude he's a breath of fresh air. Pearson was even a bit depressing at times.

JP's attitude is very infectious and will, given time, help to heal some of the deep wounds in this club.

I find it amazing that the majority on this forum almost threatened to storm St Marys if (and subsequently when) Pearson got sacked!

I'm well up for supporting these guys as I support Saints and not the behind the scenes rubbish. We looked superb for the fist half against Brum and lightweight and useless at the back in the second. I can't see much different happening against them on Tuesday. I would have been a different story had Derby been able to attack us.

I find it amazing that the majority on this forum almost threatened to storm St Marys if (and subsequently when) Pearson got sacked!

on the other hand....there were just as many that wanted to storm SMS when pearson was appointed..

he was an average-poor manager at best who wonthe grand total of 3 games...whoopee do

I don´t wanna be a moaner, but we have only won 1 game so far.

This team is much better than the chickens last season and we could have won at least one more game out of this 3 so far, but isn´t it a bit early to judge JP?

Don´t misunderstand me, i like the guy as much as you do but the next 4-5 upcoming games will prove his ability.

We seem to be getting a little to overexcited, but it´s Saints. You´ll never know what´s happening next.:rolleyes:

I don´t wanna be a moaner, but we have only won 1 game so far.

This team is much better than the chickens last season and we could have won at least one more game out of this 3 so far, but isn´t it a bit early to judge JP?

Don´t misunderstand me, i like the guy as much as you do but the next 4-5 upcoming games will prove his ability.

We seem to be getting a little to overexcited, but it´s Saints. You´ll never know what´s happening next.:rolleyes:

Won three, lost twice.

Good on ya TDD, I agree and am starting to feel quite excited. Think JP is doing an excellent job so far and getting tactics and substitutions spot on.

I also left the West Ham game with a real buzz and quite shocked

I dared hardly hope we could reproduce it in real competition but it's starting to happen!

Brilliant!

WOW...what an impact this guy is having on our club already...

I was not too unhappy that pearson went but was dreading this set up when it first arrived as it stank of Lowe wanting to do this to make a point as he wanted this set up two years ago...and harped on about using the kids etc..

but boy, Jan the man sure knows what he is doing BIG TIME....puts any pearson/burley team into pale insignificance...

also, with some fans bemusement, he even states he wants another striker and after today, fans are agreeing with him...

I went to the west ham game and left the ground shell shocked on how well we played and the style.I just hope those 'stay awayers' come back and see what brilliant football he has produced with a bunch of reserves and kids..

hats off to you sir, well done and thanks for all this good stuff we are seeing..

I think I speak on most saints fans behalf when I say we are litterally gob smacked on how well you have transformed our club...:D

I agree with the majority however as i've said it's far to early to tell, but yes he looks better than burley allready

Fair enough point. The jury is still out on Jan but the past two games have been great for the lads.

In the raw young boys you see Jan Poortvielt, they do what he tells them to do, they're still coachable, some coaches can only work with that sort of mouldable talent, they go to pieces completely when faced with "stars". I don't know much

about Jan but what you see is his "system", the actors are competent enough to play the roles he asks, many 'no star" teams have played good football, the system is all ,the executants are exactly that,brilliant or mediocre though they may be..

Several things impress me about JP:

He seems to know his own mind and is not swayed by the normal preconcepts the so called "established" managers seem to play to.

He is starting to identify what we need as a team and is getting the support of the board, firstly a centre half/full back albeit on loan, and now a goal scoreer and a bit of height up front. Well done JP and well done for the board supporting them the best they can.

He seems to learn from his errors - against Brum in the league the kids got out thought by a more experienced side - against Derby Wotton was brough on to solidify the midfield and bring a bit of know how to the scene with 20 minutes to go an us leading.

Tonight against Brum not only has he rested a couple of players some forced upon him, but he has shuffled them around - Lallana wide, Schneiderlin playing just behind the main striker or at times as the mian striker, Holmes and McGoldrick swapping sides. This will all hel the players keep mentally fresh as well as physically fresh.

I too was not overly disappointed to see the back of Pearson, that said would not have been to distraught had he stayed, I wondered what the 'experiment' would bring and it has at least brought some entertainment and is now bringing a little bit of hope as well.

There is still a way to go but we won tonight playing a slightly different style than against Derby, it was a little more attritional tonigh and the fact that we can do this means we can win in different ways.

Like Strachan he buys players to fit the system and not change the system to fit the players - can we get anywhere with the youngters - maybe.

I'm a Saints fan of over 50 years, so I have to worry. Will Jan be able to keep the lads playing so well? Are these last two games just a blip, and will the results will start going against us? I don't think so, I'm confident this team and JP's style are good enough for us to compete at the top end of the table.

So now I have to worry about whether a big club will move in for him. We know he's not on a high wage, so his contract would be cheap for a Prem club to buy him out. Why is it so hard supporting the Saints......

I'm a Saints fan of over 50 years, so I have to worry. Will Jan be able to keep the lads playing so well? Are these last two games just a blip, and will the results will start going against us? I don't think so, I'm confident this team and JP's style are good enough for us to compete at the top end of the table.

So now I have to worry about whether a big club will move in for him. We know he's not on a high wage, so his contract would be cheap for a Prem club to buy him out. Why is it so hard supporting the Saints......

Go grab yourself a swift one and revell in the here and now. We can be proud again at the moment. Enjoy it.

Is it me or does he sound like Steve McClaren?:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l9BFJYiPxA

??? :lol:

He certainly speaks a lot more sense than McClaren. It's so good to hear our manager speaking such sense & not leaving us feeling patronized like Burley did so often. His reaction to last night here: http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/article.php?page_id=10499

I would imagine that he is on a hefty bonus scheme, in fact I think it was mentioned sometime during his appointment. And rightly so IMO. He had to prove himself in English football and in this league so if he does rewards should be fitting.

The kids are showing some passion and that will count for a lot when the fixtures start coming around thick and fast, I would just like to see our supporters turn up for them now and add the spirit that we had against Sheff Utd last game. If we could get 20k there on Saturday that would be a great achievement.

Interesting to listen to Dave Hockaday at the family day - he seemed really excited with the new set-up, and pleased as punch that the kids were setting the pace for the "established players." He seemed to have nothing but admiration for Jan's approach, and his only frustration was that (at that time) they hadn't converted all the good play into a league win. He made no bones about the fact that he had left Watford due to a disagreement over style of play with the manager - if that had been the case this summer, I'm sure he would have been off.

"Lloyd James for example on Saturday at Derby was injured. On Sunday he knocked on my door and said he was fit and wanted to play. I think that's very good."

That quote says it all really. If players are that eager to not miss matches due to small injuries then the morale is great. The team is postive again which results in the fans being positive again.

JP Keep up the good work. I just wish some on here would leave well alone and stop.. trying to give others the credit when it lies with this man, his coaching, tactics and leadership skills supported by his staff.

More of the same please.

There's no JP in team...