I'm off to Australia

hypochondriac

Found myself in a bit of a slump in life and so on May the 8th I shall be backpacking and traveling around Australia. Am sure some will be relieved that I won't be frequenting this board much for a while! As of yet I haven't really planned anything but ideally I would like to travel and work so that I can live whilst I'm there as I'm taking only a small amount of money. Does anyone have any advice (and does anyone currently living in Australia fancy employing a fellow saints fan for a month or two?)

I have a fair amount saved but I don't want to take it all as I need a life for when I get back. I have about £3,000 and am mid twenties.

you can apply for a working VISA at your age then

my mate left the forces at 28, for a working VISA and was going to go for 6-12 months.....he is now married out there and works in a pub...

just roll with it...best way if you are gong to go...he lives in sydney now

just pick some places to visit and just go...at worst, you come home and feel more rounded as a person

That is what I am going to do. Bit difficult if I run out of cash though! Just exploring options at the moment.

That is what I am going to do. Bit difficult if I run out of cash though! Just exploring options at the moment.

well, have a contingency with someone at home that would cover a ticket home....other than that, just roll with it.

you will feel a great deal more free

Hypo - that is very good news. I've met loads of people in your position and I give them all the same advice:- "if you've got nothing tying you down, go for it".

As others have said, get yourself a working visa so you can roll with it.

If you really want to know a country, the best thing you can do is work there - otherwise you're just window-shopping.

I did the whole year out thing and worked in Oz and NZ for 6 months. As others have mentioned sort your visa out and your be fine. Loads of jobs out there for travellers such as working on farms and stuff like that. We used this site so maybe it will be useful to you http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx?TextOnly=0 as is this one http://www.jobs4travellers.com.au/

Loads of fun out there and you make some great friends. Of the 4 friends I went out there with 2 of them have now moved there for good. Don't blame them to be honest!

well, have a contingency with someone at home that would cover a ticket home....other than that, just roll with it.

you will feel a great deal more free

I have a return ticket. In terms of what I do when I get there, would anyone recommend going to one of those companies that can get you employment and sort things for you? Or should I just do that myself when I get there?

I did the whole year out thing and worked in Oz and NZ for 6 months. As others have mentioned sort your visa out and your be fine. Loads of jobs out there for travellers such as working on farms and stuff like that. We used this site so maybe it will be useful to you http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx?TextOnly=0 as is this one http://www.jobs4travellers.com.au/Loads of fun out there and you make some great friends. Of the 4 friends I went out there with 2 of them have now moved there for good. Don't blame them to be honest!
Cheers St Marco. I'm sure that sort of thing will come in handy. What jobs did you do out of interest?

It's a fantastic place. Been a couple of times and I love it over there.

You may want a bit more than £3k though unless you're planning on working most of the time? I went with £3k about 8 years ago and only just got by on that for 3 months. Had a mate who was there recently and some of the prices he was quoting was staggering compared to what I was paying.

Over here, my experience is that is all about who you know. If you haven't already, check out the overseas boards here and if someone wants to vouch for you, it will be easy. (If I had any real contacts, I would let you know, but I don't)

Having said that, you're probably only looking for bar type work and you seem fairly confident in yourself, so I imagine just strolling up to a few bars would get you something quickish. I sold lotto tickets to UK & US when I first got here - if you want to start at 4am and finish at 12 for a decent wage, that's an option. Mind you, most temp jobs seem to pay 15-20 an hour, which is outstanding.

If you want to see the country, there's plenty of fruitpicking type stuff up here in QLD and you can always do chugging in the city! It seems to me that most of this type of work is done by overseas types (eg dishing out free newspapers), so there must be websites for this kind of thing.

It felt much longer, but it took 10 weeks for me to get full time employment when I arrrived in 2009, so to pick up casual work should be a lot easier. Buy a payg mobile for about $40 to make sure you're available and go to McD's to check the web. Most of all, make sure you can get a referee from somewhere local to where ever you're going!

Found myself in a bit of a slump in life and so on May the 8th I shall be backpacking and traveling around Australia. Am sure some will be relieved that I won't be frequenting this board much for a while! As of yet I haven't really planned anything but ideally I would like to travel and work so that I can live whilst I'm there as I'm taking only a small amount of money. Does anyone have any advice (and does anyone currently living in Australia fancy employing a fellow saints fan for a month or two?)

You're putting backpacking around Australia above going to watch Saints week-in, week-out? Some people aren't going to be happy about that.

p.s. Enjoy....will miss your posts (genuinely)

Over here, my experience is that is all about who you know. If you haven't already, check out the overseas boards here and if someone wants to vouch for you, it will be easy. (If I had any real contacts, I would let you know, but I don't)

Having said that, you're probably only looking for bar type work and you seem fairly confident in yourself, so I imagine just strolling up to a few bars would get you something quickish. I sold lotto tickets to UK & US when I first got here - if you want to start at 4am and finish at 12 for a decent wage, that's an option. Mind you, most temp jobs seem to pay 15-20 an hour, which is outstanding.

If you want to see the country, there's plenty of fruitpicking type stuff up here in QLD and you can always do chugging in the city! It seems to me that most of this type of work is done by overseas types (eg dishing out free newspapers), so there must be websites for this kind of thing.

It felt much longer, but it took 10 weeks for me to get full time employment when I arrrived in 2009, so to pick up casual work should be a lot easier. Buy a payg mobile for about $40 to make sure you're available and go to McD's to check the web. Most of all, make sure you can get a referee from somewhere local to where ever you're going!

Thanks for that. Will my mobile from the UK work in Oz? (It's unlocked.) What do you mean by a referee?

You're putting backpacking around Australia above going to watch Saints week-in, week-out? Some people aren't going to be happy about that.

p.s. Enjoy....will miss your posts (genuinely)

Ah thanks trousers. A little birdie told me that rallyboy enjoys my posts too. I have never had such a compliment! Rest assured though, I shall be popping in when I can and hope to catch a couple of games when I'm out there. If any saints fans fancy a pint then PM me!

Pretty sure I'm going to be working for most of it mate. All I need is some basic food and somewhere to stay. I reckon if I get a job on a farm they may be able to provide accommodation.

Yeah they normally do.

I lived on plain noodles and ketchup from Woolworths and would occasionally treat myself to some cut price sausages (get there an hour before the supermarket closes for the bargains). Food of kings.

Yeah I'll miss your posts too, Hypo. But I'm staggered that you're mid twenties. I had you down as nearer my age!!!!!

Nah....I never had him down as a 33 year old....

We're all in a very good mood this afternoon...what's occurring? :-)

Yeah I'll miss your posts too, Hypo. But I'm staggered that you're mid twenties. I had you down as nearer my age!!!!!

Good luck x

Don't like to go too in detail on here as last time I did that someone tracked down my business and emailled me! Perhaps I just come across as an old grumpy sod. Thanks BTF, although I disagree with many of your views, you aren't bad for an old bird.

Cheers St Marco. I'm sure that sort of thing will come in handy. What jobs did you do out of interest?

I did a couple of jobs. Main one was fruit picking which I think is probably the most common for backpackers. It is pretty boring and got to watch out for bugs but pay is pretty good. Plus you get to know the people working with you quite well which helps when going off into town. Especially if your off on your own out there.

The other job I did was working at a hotel as a barman. Again I imagine thats pretty common thing.

Lot's of things to do there but most are boring. Someone I knew managed to get a job helping out with the some tourist adventure trip type thing, where they would go out camping and stuff like that. That sounds a lot more fun!

Haha. Also forgot to mention I'm going to Thailand for three weeks beforehand and New Zealand for three weeks afterwards. Any advice for them too?

Treat yourself to a few nights in Bangkok - mad place, then jump on the overnight train South and hit the islands. Ko Phi Phi is stunning. Lovely beaches, good nightlife and loads of young, drunk fanny - fill your boots.

As for NZ, the scenery on the South Island is stunning. If you're into your extreme sports, head to Queenstown. The highwire bungy and a skydive over the Fox Glacier at dawn come highly recommended by myself.

If you're really looking to do anything for work, take a look at http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx

Don't forget you are coming over here in our winter and some places will be bloody cold - but that also means you also have the option of working in the ski resorts as well if it takes your fancy. If you want the warmer weather head North. Don't forget distances are huge so good planning is essential if you want to do alot of travelling. Last minute internal flights can be cheap, but other people I've spoken to who have come over here for a holiday have booked some internal flights along with their main ticket and found that has worked out cheaper for them

Beware of our customs officers. they can be a nightmare if you catch them on a bad day. If you want to take in some sport then you have the choice of AFL, NRL and Rugby Union. AFL stronghold is in Victoria if you really want to see a game with atmosphere (can't stand the game myself though). If you get the chance to catch a State of Origin game of Rugby League between NSW and Queensland do it - there is real passion on the field and (seeing as I don't like AFL) it's the nearest I've come to getting an atmosphere that matches the real football :)

Oh...one final thing - sorry to have to tell you but EVERYTHING is bloody expensive over here if you are coming from the UK as it is shuch a sh1t exchange rate.

Unlike some of the others kissing your earlobes, I won't miss you! However, my son works out there in Brisbane, and should you be going there, I will ask him if I can give you his number, and he may be able to sort you with some work, I also know the manager of Qantas in Brisbane airport, and can also give him a tinkle. Good luck, it's a lovely country, and I wish I could emigrate myself!

It's nice enough, just don't see why people get that excited about it. Can't stand Aussies for a start.

Being a "converted" Aussie, I have to say some of "us" can be a little difficult to bear. However, compared to French, South African, most of Eastern Europe, Asia, the US, oh...and Scotland, I think we're not so bad :)