Plebs

Thedelldays

• 1 year later...

The police do themselves no good on occassions and in the same week as the duggan outcome

PC Wallis today Admits Misconduct in that he lied in the email

How much tax payers money have the Met police/ police federation etc wasted in trying to support the likes of wallis etc over plebgate.

The Met Police have again be tarnished and more than likely lost even more confidence from vast members of the public

The police do themselves no good on occassions and in the same week as the duggan outcome

PC Wallis today Admits Misconduct in that he lied in the email

How much tax payers money have the Met police/ police federation etc wasted in trying to support the likes of wallis etc over plebgate.

The Met Police have again be tarnished and more than likely lost even more confidence from vast members of the public

I must admit that I've not traveled the world testing my hypothesis but I suspect that our police are among the most honest, helpful and uncorrupted to be found anywhere in the world. I have certainly found them so in my (infrequent) dealings with them. However methinks most of us are well aware that it is a fact of life that some coppers do lie on occasion. Like other similiar professions (dare I say the Army) the police are a 'tight knit' group that tend to close ranks and cover each others backs when threatened by outsiders. Now I can understand why that happens, without approving of it in any way.

Following previous scandals the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 introduced the provision that formal interviews conducted under caution with suspects at the police station must be taped so that there are no grounds for dispute regarding what has actually been said. I say this has proved to be such a significant advance in our criminal justice system that now no one in their right mind would want to see it reversed. The day when that very same principle is extended so that all police officers are routinely equipped with modern lightweight video cameras so that their dealings with the general public outside 'on the street' are also recorded will be a good day for the cause of justice in this country. Surely no decent copper can have much to fear from such a development.

A Tory MP said the other day that if something like 'plebgate' could happen to someone as powerful and influential as a member of the government then it could happen to absolutely any of us. Is there anyone on here who wants to disagree with that statement?

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

• 10 months later...

Imo he probably didn't say "pleb" on the occasion in question but that the words attributed to him were a compilation of lots of minor incidents over a period of time when he'd treated the police on duty outside Downing Street like plebs. They grew to dislike him and the incident was the final straw.

Imo he probably didn't say "pleb" on the occasion in question but that the words attributed to him were a compilation of lots of minor incidents over a period of time when he'd treated the police on duty outside Downing Street like plebs. They grew to dislike him and the incident was the final straw.

What Mitchell thinks of your and your opinion.

B3hqSANCYAEc4Ce.jpg:large

Worth repeating, I thought :)

Edited by pap

Playing the Devil's Advocate card (for once), I assume a judge doesn't need 100% proof that he said "pleb" to be able to declare that that is indeed what was said? I've never quite understood how anyone can be found guilty when it comes down to one person's word against another. Surely such cases will always be inconclusive. Is a judge duty bound to come up with a verdict one way or the other in cases such as this or could he have delivered an inconclusive verdict if he'd wanted to?

He obviously said it. If a copper was going to make up an insult he would choose something a bit more offensive. "****ing pig c*nt" or something. No way would anyone go through all that agro just to try and make out he said "pleb".

You see, that's the clever part. Make sure there is some verisimilitude and you can't go wrong.

Playing the Devil's Advocate card (for once), I assume a judge doesn't need 100% proof that he said "pleb" to be able to declare that that is indeed what was said? I've never quite understood how anyone can be found guilty when it comes down to one person's word against another. Surely such cases will always be inconclusive. Is a judge duty bound to come up with a verdict one way or the other in cases such as this or could he have delivered an inconclusive verdict if he'd wanted to?

"For the reasons given I am satisfied at least on the balance of probabilities that Mr Mitchell did speak the words alleged or something so close to them as to amount to the same including the politically toxic word 'pleb'." which is all that is needed in these cases.

This should never have got this far but nobody comes out of it with a clean record. Someone leaked this alleged exchange and fabricated elements of the story, such as members of the public being present and being 'visibly shocked'.

I assume a judge doesn't need 100% proof that he said "pleb" to be able to declare that that is indeed what was said? ........... Is a judge duty bound to come up with a verdict one way or the other in cases such as this or could he have delivered an inconclusive verdict if he'd wanted to?

As Whitey said its a civil case so judgement is given on balance of probability rather than beyond reasonable doubt. 50.1% to 49.9% is enough. The law doesn't allow a judge to say "ooh, I dont really know. Tricky isnt it?" (except in Scotland with their 'not proven' verdict).

Edited by buctootim

As Whitey said its a civil case so judgement is given on balance of probability rather than beyond reasonable doubt. 50.1% to 49.9% is enough. The law doesn't allow a judge to say "ooh, I dont really know. Tricky isnt it?" (except in Scotland with their 'not proven' verdict).

It would seem I agree with the Scots. There's a first time for everything :)

What a pillock, he should have let this lie as he had come away from this whole affair looking like the wronged party, but no, his ego wouldn't let him, and now he is back where he started only £1.5m lighter.

Indded he is and he always was. He didn't need to spend a couple of million to prove it, but it strengthens his case.