Plebs

Thedelldays

From Wiki

"In British, Canadian, Irish, Australian, New Zealand and South African English the back-formation pleb, along with the more recently derived adjectival form plebby,[2] is used as a derogatory term for someone considered unsophisticated or uncultured"

If you're content with a posh boy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Mitchell) insulting a member of the police force in such a way, well so be it. Particularly insensitive given what happened to those two police officers in Manchester.

I'm more surprised that now this mp is saying he didn't say that word, the police are publically getting all offended at someone daring to imply one of their officers may have told a lie. Of course, as if that would ever happen!

Just been on the news... Some police federation copper just said that if it is found that the MP was fibbing, he should be sacked....

It was put to him that if it was found that the MP was telling the truth and in fact, the police were fibbing should the coppers on question be sacked...

Of course, he said no way

Seriously and I'm being serious for a minute. Why is there this sudden upsurge in people being offended by absolutely everything? The last five years or so it seems to become very fashionable to be offended at every opportunity and wallow in the misfortune of others, as as someone said earlier, giving people the opportunity to prove what a nice person they are.

From Wiki

"In British, Canadian, Irish, Australian, New Zealand and South African English the back-formation pleb, along with the more recently derived adjectival form plebby,[2] is used as a derogatory term for someone considered unsophisticated or uncultured"

If you're content with a posh boy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Mitchell) insulting a member of the police force in such a way, well so be it. Particularly insensitive given what happened to those two police officers in Manchester.

Lol why is it more offensive because of the tragedy of the two police officers in Manchester?

From Wiki

Jesus Christ. Let's all be offended.

Isn't it what the Romans used to call non roman citizens living in Rome I.e. freed slaves ect?

This is part of the problem these days, people look into things in too much detail, over analyzing things, being hypersensative. If someone called me a pleb, I'd think of it in the same way as if they called me a muppet, a div, a spanner or whatever, I wouldn't try and get to the bottom of what the word meant or what they thought it meant, or what they really meant by their selection of that specific word at that point in time!

This is part of the problem these days, people look into things in too much detail, over analyzing things, being hypersensative. If someone called me a pleb, I'd think of it in the same way as if they called me a muppet, a div, a spanner or whatever, I wouldn't try and get to the bottom of what the word meant or what they thought it meant, or what they really meant by their selection of that specific word at that point in time!

I didn't look into anything, I just used to watch the TV program 'Rome'. Season 1 was fairly decent.

I'm offended by you taking the lords name in vain. Show some respect and try not to be offensive you spaz mongboard *****r FFS!

As a practising agnostic I find your attempting to force the respecting of a Lord I doubt exists to be offensive. I respect you Shintoist and your funny pipes and silly dressing gowns but I will not be converted.

Are you offended by that word?

Most words are pretty inert without context, TDD.

A lot of Sotonians will happily call each other c*nts all day long and not take offence, because the context is mates having a laugh.

I remember "pleb" being a temporarily popular term of abuse on the playground in the late 80s. I wasn't offended by it then, and in most scenarios, wouldn't consider it offensive.

That all said, the context in the case of "PC Pleb" is a Minister of the Crown using the word to have a go at Downing Street coppers, shortly after the country has paid its respects to two WPCs that were slain in the line of duty. Probably doesn't help that it is a Conservative minister either, who are noted for being a little out of touch, or more recently, criticised by some for having a "born to rule" attitude.

For pleb to be offensive in this context, I sort of need to believe that:-

a) the class system is essentially valid

b) that Andrew Mitchell is an example of a "better" class.

I'm having trouble with both.

But if a Minister of State calls someone a f***ing pleb, then that is in poor taste.

But if a Minister of State calls someone a f***ing pleb, then that is in poor taste.

People swear, people call people people names. I'm sure there is a 11 year old boy called Sebastian somewhere who finds it all horrific, but that's what happens young man, people swear.

The plebs were the general body of free land-owning Roman citizens (as distinguished from slaves and the capite censi) in Ancient Rome. They were the non-aristocratic class of Rome, and consisted of freed people, shopkeepers, crafts people, skilled or unskilled workers and farmers. Members of the plebs were also distinct from the higher order of the patricians. A member of the plebs was known as a plebeian.This term is used today to refer to one who is or appears to be of the middle or lower order; however, in Rome plebeians could become quite wealthy and influential.

Edited by mcjwills

I'm glad you asked that as what this thread was missing was a review. I would say that it was a solid 7. I believe it was made by some of the people involved in the Sopranos but it falls short of that TV legend. The budget was fairly low so the battle scenes were fairly non existent. However an inventive idea and interesting take on the assassination of julius caesar. Also educational as you get to learn for example, how the naming of the months came about and.... About plebs.

Enjoy.

The plebs were the general body of free land-owning Roman citizens (as distinguished from slaves and the capite censi) in Ancient Rome. They were the non-aristocratic class of Rome, and consisted of freed people, shopkeepers, crafts people, skilled or unskilled workers and farmers. Members of the plebs were also distinct from the higher order of the patricians. A member of the plebs was known as a plebeian.This term is used today to refer to one who is or appears to be of the middle or lower order; however, in Rome plebeians could become quite wealthy and influential.

They sound like wise guys to me, did they carry their money in roll?

But if you take away the over analysis of the actual meaning of the word and just take it as a quick insult that didn’t have any premeditated thinking, how do you know the officer wasn’t being a bit of a pleb/idiot/jobsworth/retard (insert any number of quick insults here)? Is a minister not allow an opinion, or to have a rant at someone & say something in the heat of the moment? Of course he probably should rise above it, but we all do it, it’s such not something that a person should lose their job over is it?

But if you take away the over analysis of the actual meaning of the word and just take it as a quick insult that didn’t have any premeditated thinking, how do you know the officer wasn’t being a bit of a pleb/idiot/jobsworth/retard (insert any number of quick insults here)? Is a minister not allow an opinion, or to have a rant at someone & say something in the heat of the moment? Of course he probably should rise above it, but we all do it, it’s such not something that a person should lose their job over is it?

We need something to be outraged by Spudgun, we've had nothing since Freddie Ljundbergs vile outburst last night.

I'm glad you asked that as what this thread was missing was a review. I would say that it was a solid 7. I believe it was made by some of the people involved in the Sopranos but it falls short of that TV legend. The budget was fairly low so the battle scenes were fairly non existent. However an inventive idea and interesting take on the assassination of julius caesar. Also educational as you get to learn for example, how the naming of the months came about and.... About plebs.

Enjoy.

Cheers for this tokyo, but I'm getting some of this learning from here via you, so is there any need to watch it? If there are other worthwhile learnings within the whole season, maybe you could start a new thread on it to help educate us all :)

Enjoy.

I liked Rome.

I really liked Polly Walker in Rome.

Particularly insensitive given what happened to those two police officers in Manchester.

I've heard a few people (including some on the news) saying this but I really don't understand why.

If he'd said that the copper should be "taken out and shot" then you'd have a point but I can't see how its relevant.

Anyway... the MP has clearly managed to make himself look like a complete t it.

If he's lied about what he said then even more so.

Frank's cousin - I hate to be the bearer of good news, but there are entire films dedicated to norks (and more!).

Who can forget such timeless classics as '50,000 Norks under the Sea', 'The Valley of the Norks', 'Cape Nork', Norkwest Passage', 'Where Norks Dare' , 'Nork Trek' etc etc...

Seriously and I'm being serious for a minute. Why is there this sudden upsurge in people being offended by absolutely everything? The last five years or so it seems to become very fashionable to be offended at every opportunity and wallow in the misfortune of others, as as someone said earlier, giving people the opportunity to prove what a nice person they are.

Completely agree. It's all coincided with the growth of social media in my opinion. Millions of people put themselves in poisitions to be exposed to the views of millions of others yet a lot seem to be of the opinion that they should go through life with the right to never see or hear anything which might offend them. Offence is taken not given.

It angers me that it seems more and more police and CJS resource is committed to knobs who want to say things to get reactions on Twitter etc.

"Best you learn your f****** place … you don't run this f******* government … You're f******* plebs"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/sep/24/andrew-mitchell-police-log

Personally, I think that the Tories should turn a problem into an opportunity. The quote from Mitchell works just as well when directed at the British public.

They should use it as their 2015 General Election tagline.

What a load of fuss and hot air about an MP getting a bit frustrated and venting a bit of hot air. As for trying to make a connection between this little incident and claiming that it is insensitive in the light of the murder of those two constables, that is pathetic. Sometimes Police officers do act like prats/plebs/jobsworths, etc. Is nobody allowed to voice an opinion on that without being accused of insensitivity towards some totally unassociated incident?

And how ironic that the Lib Dems are getting all precious about it. Yes, the issue of whether Mitchell lied or not is a serious one, mainly on the point of us expecting basic honesty from our politicians, (haha) but as far as I'm aware, no crime has been committed. This isn't like their party's MP being accused of lying to avoid criminal prosecution for a driving offence and chargeable with perverting the course of justice if found guilty in October.

Frank's cousin - I hate to be the bearer of good news, but there are entire films dedicated to norks (and more!).

Indeed, this is well known... and talking of ancient Rome, I admire 'Glad-he'ate-her' but such classics are not allowed in our house.. and the first series of Spartacus had that nice lady from Hustle in it, which was wonderfully cultural and intellectually satisfying. :p I am glad our History programs have become so entertaining.

With respect, I think most of you are missing the point here. The issue is what using the word 'pleb' says about the person saying it, not any offence caused to the police officer ...who didn't say he was offended by it btw.

The reason why the media have focussed on the word 'pleb' in the phrase "you ****ing pleb", and not the generally more offensive word '****ing', is that it indicates that Mitchell still has the mindset and attitude of a spoilt public schoolboy -- he thinks he is above the rest of us , and we mere 'plebs' should recognise that he is more important, and that he is above the rules that apply to mere ordinary people. Bear in mind that most of the cabinet went to public school and are independently wealthy, and that they are continuously desperate to prove that they do NOT have this mindset , and you can see why this is news.

Add to that the implication that Mitchell has since lied about what he said, and he doesn't come out of this incident as the sort of person I want running my country for me

With respect, I think most of you are missing the point here. The issue is what using the word 'pleb' says about the person saying it, not any offence caused to the police officer ...who didn't say he was offended by it btw.

The reason why the media have focussed on the word 'pleb' in the phrase "you ****ing pleb", and not the generally more offensive word '****ing', is that it indicates that Mitchell still has the mindset and attitude of a spoilt public schoolboy -- he thinks he is above the rest of us , and we mere 'plebs' should recognise that he is more important, and that he is above the rules that apply to mere ordinary people. Bear in mind that most of the cabinet went to public school and are independently wealthy, and that they are continuously desperate to prove that they do NOT have this mindset , and you can see why this is news.

Add to that the implication that Mitchell has since lied about what he said, and he doesn't come out of this incident as the sort of person I want running my country for me

Mitchell made a bad mistake using the word "pleb", as you say. Had he called the policeman a "c*nt", he would demonstrate that he is one of the masses and they would have accepted him as "one of us". So it was unfortunate for him that because of his upbringing and the education he received, that in the heat of the moment he reacted in line with what came naturally to his mind. All of our politicians should be educated in the public sector, so that when they cuss and swear at anybody that annoys them, they use the language of the common man.

But it is gratifying that you have conclusive proof that Mitchell had lied and that therefore you are able to establish that you don't want people like that running your country.

Excuse me for being a bit blase about this mountain out of a molehill situation, because I feel that not only are most of our elected politicians capable of such incidents at some time in their careers, regardless of which party they represent, or whatever their background or education was, but neither are the Police force totally and utterly lily-white. At least the electorate have the power to remove any politician they dislike.