Fleming Arms - CLOSED

hamster

Gonna really miss it, many a good night in there.Think It's been on the cards for a couple of years and if only they'd got pp to convert the old stables into a hotel it would.have prospered. Great location for a hotel.Heard the other day that Bob Marley played there once! Anyone confirm this?

I've not heard the Bob Marley one but I used to go to Soul Nights in the back bit. Some good nights there.

It's a shame and will probably end up as luxury appartments. Very little in the way of Swaythling pubs now I'd imagine.

If they do put luxury flats there it will suddenly be named as a part of Bassett (or do I mean Bitterne - god my local knowledge has gone to pot!!) rather than Swaythling to make it sound trendy and add 30000 quid onto the price!!

Bob Marley played there as part of the Wailers, was reported in the echo 2 or 3 weeks ago as part of the black history month, sure it said that there was going to be a plaque erected there, but cant remember rightly.

Doesn't help pubs with poor decisions management wise though. I know of a dart team that wanted to move there, thats a minimum of 12 people there every 2 weeks, plus practice nights, but the landlord insisted every game must be finished by 11, and everyone out of the building by 1120, was too inflexable so they now drive to another pub, also a food based place.

Gonna really miss it, many a good night in there.Think It's been on the cards for a couple of years and if only they'd got pp to convert the old stables into a hotel it would.have prospered. Great location for a hotel.Heard the other day that Bob Marley played there once! Anyone confirm this?

a few people played at the Fleming,don't remember Bob Marley though ,must have been during my Uni years.Then there was that

music place at the back of the courtyard..The Coachouse, DJ was an aquaintance of mine, those Friday night Beatles singalongs were legendary.

Although my local is now the Stoneham Arms I shall be frequenting The Cricks when I feel the urge, but sadly can't get the full benefit of their well kept real ales as I'll have to drive.

I was always of the opinion the the Flemiing should pull out the stops and get the students in.

There really is nothing in the area for me hear now. The Mucky Duck has been too plastic for my palate since well before the fire too.

Marley has a plaque now as mentioned above:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15258893

We moved here 5 years ago, jprior to that I heard that the new manager had barred more than half the regulars. Wrong manager, the place needs to up it's ante re being a hotel. Right near the airport, history, rail links, bus links, the Monksbrook (a very interesting role in the history of this area. No Monksbrook - No Southampton.

Oh and get rid of that London Pride ****, it's disgusting. Actually what that place needs is a new brewery to take over. There must be a quality hotel chain out there that would kill to get hold of that building.

People do know why it is called The Fleming Arms don't they? No 'Fleming' no British Parliament. We should be very proud of our association with this man, I cannot begin to tell you in what high regard I hold LCJ Fleming.

Yes, it was either that or a berni? The pubs always struggled for trade, not really on the beaten track is it.

The point about the road system might be fair. It's more difficult to walk there now than it used to be because it's a far busier road junction around there now.

phew, only a refurbish and re-branding. It's gonna re-open as a Hungry Horse according to one of the staff who's been temporarily relocated to The Bitterne Brewery.

Now I am pee'd off as I love their 28ozs of meat and wont be around to suckle on their ale pumps either.

Can anyone remember many of these beauties:

Some lost gems on this list...

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/hampshire/southampton.html

Must have been in at least half of those,what with Darts and Football and all.

The Lord Louis closed?? where do people wait for the bus nowadays then...mind you they've probably moved the bus station as

well.Made many a wait for the H+D tolerable, a pie from Plesteds and a pint in the LL...what more could you want.

A few of them on there were an integral part of my SFC History.

The Spa Tavern - my first ever alcoholic drink in a pub before a match. As a just 16/17 year old who looked about 15 getting served was never an option so my older mates did the honour for me. We sat outside on the terrace, me hidden away in the corner facing the wall, but what a give away - I asked for a half of lager and lime for fecks sake :blush: .

A short while later I discovered Real Ale - specifically Gales HSB which was nothing like the previous bitters of the time that I'd tried and disliked such as Watneys Red P!ss, Worthington E and Whitbread Tankard. Also this was loopy juice at 5.2%. The Baytree opposite The Tech College (Solent now?) was a right dive, but the only place in town you could get HSB. The juke box upstairs was brilliant, and when busy you could not see the other end of the pool table through the strange smelling cigarette smoke. That was our pre match place of choice for quite a few years. I still had my young looks and many a time would roll out of the pub and then get into the ground through the Childrens turnstile LOL. At a guess I'd say I've started the pre match drinking in there more than any other pub. Happy days they were indeed, mid 70's to mid 80's. It's a shame to see it now - would have been very handy for SMS!!!

The Lord Louis was visited a few times on the way from Bay Tree to The Dell, and sometimes the pub behind it - Marstons Pub (Windsor?) which had a wicked winter ale - forgotten the name now - but was very strong and they'd only serve it in half pints to spotty little oiks like us :)

No mention of The Warrens - not that I went prematch drinking in there!! We did take the place once on a Monday night at about 7.30 - 8.30 :D

The Baytree opposite The Tech College (Solent now?) was a right dive, but the only place in town you could get HSB. The juke box upstairs was brilliant, and when busy you could not see the other end of the pool table through the strange smelling cigarette smoke. That was our pre match place of choice for quite a few years.

For some reason I remember a few pre-match sessions in there as well. Can't think why, it was nowhere near the Dell. I remember a particularly good session before the Spurs match in the promotion season. But that was The College of Technology. The Tech college was down at St.Mary's (the Church).

For some reason I remember a few pre-match sessions in there as well. Can't think why, it was nowhere near the Dell. I remember a particularly good session before the Spurs match in the promotion season. But that was The College of Technology. The Tech college was down at St.Mary's (the Church).

If you can remember details like that - you obviosly didn't drink as much HSB as I did :scared:

We only went in there for the beer - it meant we had to catch pretty early train from Eastleigh, as it wasn't exactly on the route from The Central station to The Dell to be honest!! At a guess I would have been in there that day, or The Angel just around the corner (or both!!)

Hamble, although pedants might say otherwise.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who got a ticket for parking on the road above there after dark without a parking light (remember them?)

Looking at the pic of The Jolly Sailor in the closed pubs links - is this really the one in Hamble?

Doesn't look like the way I remember it - I thought you had to go down some steps from the road to get to it and had views over the water and a beer garden - all of which I guess could be hidden on the other side.

A few of them on there were an integral part of my SFC History.

The Spa Tavern - my first ever alcoholic drink in a pub before a match. As a just 16/17 year old who looked about 15 getting served was never an option so my older mates did the honour for me. We sat outside on the terrace, me hidden away in the corner facing the wall, but what a give away - I asked for a half of lager and lime for fecks sake :blush: .

A short while later I discovered Real Ale - specifically Gales HSB which was nothing like the previous bitters of the time that I'd tried and disliked such as Watneys Red P!ss, Worthington E and Whitbread Tankard. Also this was loopy juice at 5.2%. The Baytree opposite The Tech College (Solent now?) was a right dive, but the only place in town you could get HSB. The juke box upstairs was brilliant, and when busy you could not see the other end of the pool table through the strange smelling cigarette smoke. That was our pre match place of choice for quite a few years. I still had my young looks and many a time would roll out of the pub and then get into the ground through the Childrens turnstile LOL. At a guess I'd say I've started the pre match drinking in there more than any other pub. Happy days they were indeed, mid 70's to mid 80's. It's a shame to see it now - would have been very handy for SMS!!!

The Lord Louis was visited a few times on the way from Bay Tree to The Dell, and sometimes the pub behind it - Marstons Pub (Windsor?) which had a wicked winter ale - forgotten the name now - but was very strong and they'd only serve it in half pints to spotty little oiks like us :)

No mention of The Warrens - not that I went prematch drinking in there!! We did take the place once on a Monday night at about 7.30 - 8.30 :D

Happy memories though a little foggy. Yes it was the Windsor around the back of the bus station (about as rough as the Lord Louis public bar) but served good real Marstons including Owd Roger. I think you can still get Owd Roger but I think it was brewed to a far higher O.G. in those days.

Looking at the pic of The Jolly Sailor in the closed pubs links - is this really the one in Hamble?

Doesn't look like the way I remember it - I thought you had to go down some steps from the road to get to it and had views over the water and a beer garden - all of which I guess could be hidden on the other side.

You are thinking of the Jolly in old Bursledon which was a local for me many years ago. This is not the one in the picture which is why I am curious as to its location.

That Jolly Sailor looks suspiciously like what was The Roll Call in Butlocks Heath, if that's still open.

There was a pub called The Seaweed or the Seaweed Hut in Weston, wasn't there?

I remember The Sportsman's in West End. It had one of those Witch's Hat swings/roundabout. I remember being taken there by my parents, and some kid climbing the frame to the top, trying to grab the pole and then wondering where the tips of his fingers went when the hat swung round and crushed them.

I recall the 'old' Basset, years before it became a Beefeater, or whatever chain it was. At the back, they had an amazing sunken garden, with all sorts of stuff for kids. There were the old type of funfair swingboats, where you pulled on a rope to propel yourself, a menagerie, and a pony and trap that gave rides to kids. You might also have been allowed just inside the bar to have a look at the full-sized stuffed bear in the glass case. If my memory serves, it escaped from a circus on the Common and was shot.