PDA

View Full Version : I sold a car....advice!

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Will try to keep a long story short...

I sold my old car on Ebay, after the MOT because I knew it would fail on some pretty serious stuff - still had 6 months tax. It was a 1998 Saxo VTS (little rocket ship)

Advertised it as spares and repairs, listed all the things I KNEW to be wrong with it (had it looked over before I decided to sell it) - I said that the buyer could take it to pieces or fix it up, that was up to the buyer.

It sold for £550, which I was happy with. The matey came and paid for it the same day, only problem was I didn't have the V5C due to a number plate change. He paid for it anyway and drove it away.

The next day his "mate" MOT's it and its a total disaster, the matey wants his money back and is refusing to sign the V5C (which I now have) - even though the car was advertised as spares and repairs.

This all took place at the end of August. What do you think my options are? I would go round to his and make him sign it but he threatened me down the phone saying things like "I've just got out of prison blah blah blah"... The bloke looked like a crack head or something.

The tax will come up for renewal soon and the DVLA will come after ME because HE wont sign the V5C. I could just scrap it, but I don't know what the ****er is doing with the car?

swannymere
03-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Go and talk to the police and see what advice they can give you, remember to always keep signed paperwork when selling stuff on eBay, when i sell stuff face to face i always get them to sign a receipt to protect myself.

Pancake
03-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Just call the DVLA explaining that you have sold the vehicle, explain the issue.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Go and talk to the police and see what advice they can give you, remember to always keep signed paperwork when selling stuff on eBay, when i sell stuff face to face i always get them to sign a receipt to protect myself.

Yea I got him to sign a crappy little thing I made in 20 seconds, it basically said "sold as seen on the following date..." and he was happy to sign that.

I will go to the police if necessary, I'll let the guy know that is my plan, having been in prison already maybe that'll scare him into signing the V5C and avoid getting a knock on the door.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Just call the DVLA explaining that you have sold the vehicle, explain the issue.

Ok will do, for some reason I thought they might side with numpty? Dunno why, just felt guilty after telling him he couldn't have his money back, he was daft if he thought he was getting a sound car but still...

tony13579
03-11-2011, 11:41 AM
e-mail or write to DVLA (recorded delivery)and create a paper trail. Then there is proof of ownership transfer in the event that parking or gongetion chage bills arrive

trousers
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Have you got a link to the original advert you put on EBAY?

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Have you got a link to the original advert you put on EBAY?

No it was more than 60 days ago and I cant find it on ebay now :/ Seems they don't keep adds on as long as they used too after the hammer has fallen.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 12:11 PM
This is the text from the ebay add though, pulled it off of a thread on here!

Car is in good cosmetic condition but needs work to get it on the road. Engine is in top condition as it has been extremely well looked after.

The good:

1 year old brakes all round - Brembo disks and pads on the front
Head Gasket / Cambelt (with tensioners) and Waterpump Change 1.5 years ago
New alternator December 2010
New starter motor Spring 2010
New radiator and engine mounts summer 2009
Bodywork looks great for age
MK II VTS wheels
5 months tax

The Bad:

Needs a new battery, the current one has been in the car since I bought it in 2009, and as such is now dead. (needs jump / bump starting at the moment)

Front nearside tyre needs replacing

Front wishbone bushes need replacing - At the moment there is a lot of steering wheel wobble at 50+ Mph, I have been quoted £90 to get this done (the bushes are nice and cheap.)

With the above things sorted the car should get through an MOT.

Selling due to being a student - need to run a car that is a little more economical (boring).

Viewings welcome - Questions Welcome.

Thanks for looking and Good Luck with the auction.

(Car based Hampshire - Eastleigh - Number plate shown in pictures not for sale - will be replaced asap.)

ringwood
03-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Just send off the V5 , attach a copy of the sale receipt and if poss the email you received from ebay showing the end of auction, I assume you have a name and address? complete that and send minus the signature

that will record an event on the vehicle file, then if you receive any letters regarding tax etc, return them with copies of the docs.

DVLA is so disfunctional as an organisation, you need top prove you sent the info so as said previously do it by recorded delivery, plenty of cases of docs going missing at DVLA.

anothersaintinsouthsea
03-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Even if you can't access the advert on Ebay they could still well have it in their archives. I think you can make a Freedom of Information request for all data held on you - this might get you somewhere.

holepuncture
03-11-2011, 01:03 PM
If he does not sign the form, report it as stolen... tip off the police, tell them you have 'spotted' the car at whereever the crack head is = you keep the cash and you can re-sell the car, and the man gets some free re-habilitation in jail.

Chez
03-11-2011, 01:07 PM
has he returned the car to you? if not you need to make sure you get that V5 form off immediately otherwise you could get his parking tickets/fines etc.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I will get the V5 sent off in the morning with a copy of the sell receipt from ebay and the receipt that I got the buyer to sign. I'll phone ahead to let them know of the sale as well.

@holepuncture - I'd love to do that, you wouldn't believe how weird this guy was!

saint si
03-11-2011, 01:15 PM
The sale of the car is not something the police can help with as it's a civil matter.

It's up to him to take it to court if he wants his money back. If it did go to (small claims) court, it sounds like you would win hands down, so it's unlikely.

Would definitely notify the DVLA as others have said.

The threats on the other hand are a police matter though if you want to report him for something... if he's just out of prison, chances are he's on parole...

buctootim
03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Theres afew inconsistencies in your story, particulalry as ebay hold listings for 90 days after end of an auction and "end of august" isnt 90 days ago. tbh you were selling this car as immaculate two and a half years ago when you would have settled for £1,000. http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?12985-**1998-Saxo-VTS-bargain** Its hardly surprising someone is coming after you when they paid £550, about the market price for one in good order, for a complete basket case. Would be interesting to see description of car on ebay listing.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Theres afew inconsistencies in your story, particulalry as ebay hold listings for 90 days after end of an auction and "end of august" isnt 90 days ago. tbh you were selling this car as immaculate two and a half years ago when you would have settled for £1,000. http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?12985-**1998-Saxo-VTS-bargain** Its hardly surprising someone is coming after you when they paid £550, about the market price for one in good order, for a complete basket case. Would be interesting to see description of car on ebay listing.

The ebay auction text is above, I copied it off of the Saxo forum I used to use, where the add was also placed. 2 years is a long time, and I didn't spend much on the car (being a student) to have it well kept. The wishbone bushes went walkabouts, and that, unknown to me, had all sorts of knock on affects on surrounding components - that is why the bloke wanted his money back.

The car was sold SPARES AND REPAIRS - there is no coming back from that if you are then surprised when it fails the MOT.

Here is the ebay link, turns out it was over 90 days ago, as you can see, it does not work: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180704342574

gaz
03-11-2011, 03:20 PM
If you haven't got the V5C at the time of sale, you shouldn't have sold it as you can't prove you were the registered keeper at the time of sale.

buctootim
03-11-2011, 03:20 PM
The car was sold SPARES AND REPAIRS - there is no coming back from that if you are then surprised when it fails the MOT.

Here is the ebay link, turns out it was over 90 days ago, as you can see, it does not work: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180704342574

In the first post you say you sold it because you knew it would fail the MOT on pretty serious stuff, but in the ad claim it should get through an MOT with three trivial things done to it - battery, one tyre, and front bushes. Im not surprised hes coming after you tbh.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 03:29 PM
If you haven't got the V5C at the time of sale, you shouldn't have sold it as you can't prove you were the registered keeper at the time of sale.

I agree I am partly to blame for this, I should have waited but circumstances forced my hand somewhat.

big al
03-11-2011, 03:40 PM
If you place 180704342574 in the ebay search bar the advert comes up.

buctootim
03-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Based on that ad, you lied to him, as well as us, and should give him his money back.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Based on that ad, you lied to him, as well as us, and should give him his money back.

Where did I lie to him? Its not a lie if I didn't have any knowledge of faults with the car beyond what I listed in the add, which was totally honest.

Coming on here for advice and getting called a liar. Typical.

buctootim
03-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Where did I lie to him? Its not a lie if I didn't have any knowledge of faults with the car beyond what I listed in the add, which was totally honest.

Coming on here for advice and getting called a liar. Typical.

You claimed you sold it as spares or repair, you didnt. You sold it as "Car is in good condition and only needs a small amount of work to get it on the road. Engine is in top condition as it has been extremely well looked after", when you knew that wasnt true, as admitted in your first post, ergo, you lied. And now you've been caufght you are acting all indignant and girly.

Whitey Grandad
03-11-2011, 03:58 PM
If he inspected it and paid in full then he has accepted the goods. When I used to buy the odd car or two at the auctions you only had a couple of hours to return it for any mechanical complaints.

Scummer
03-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Why does ebay seem to think it sold for £430 and your first post says it went for £550?

Whitey Grandad
03-11-2011, 04:01 PM
As for the V5C, don't you just send it off saying who is now the registered keeper? There is no need for them to sign it too.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 04:05 PM
You claimed you sold it as spares or repair, you didnt. You sold it as "Car is in good condition and only needs a small amount of work to get it on the road. Engine is in top condition as it has been extremely well looked after", when you knew that wasnt true, as admitted in your first post, ergo, you lied. And now you've been caufght you are acting all indignant and girly.

No, what came up in his MOT of HIS car was more than I knew about, cant you get that through your THICK skull? I wouldn't lie to anybody, and I am annoyed you are painting me to the bad guy here. Girly maybe but a liar? No.

@Scummer part of the deal was done outside of ebay, I had offers outside of ebay (from the saxo forum mentioned previously) of higher amounts, so the guy ended up paying £550.

buctootim
03-11-2011, 04:10 PM
No, what came up in his MOT of HIS car was more than I knew about, cant you get that through your THICK skull? .

Opening post "I sold my old car on Ebay, after the MOT because I knew it would fail on some pretty serious stuff". Its right there in your own words. Denying you lied about it just makes it um, two lies. You also claimed you sold it as spares or repair, you didnt. Thats three in one short thread according to my maths.

Huffton
03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Car is in good condition and only needs a small amount of work to get it on the road

Front wishbone bushes need replacing - At the moment there is a lot of steering wheel wobble at 50+ Mph, I have been quoted £90 to get this done (the bushes are nice and cheap.)

With the above things sorted the car should fly through an MOT.

Based on that, you have lied through your teeth and owe the guy a refund. However if he has signed a receipt to say its sold as seen you will probably get away with it, unfortunately.

Huffton
03-11-2011, 04:17 PM
No, what came up in his MOT of HIS car was more than I knew about, cant you get that through your THICK skull? I wouldn't lie to anybody, and I am annoyed you are painting me to the bad guy here. Girly maybe but a liar? No.

But you have lied! You advertised the car as an easy fix while knowing full well it would bomb.

Whitey Grandad
03-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Sold outside of EBAY so that has nothing to do with it. What matters is what took place between you and the buyer, what descriptions were made and what conditions were agreed.

Chin Strain
03-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Not a legal opinion, but my view is that you've been a bit daft putting on the advert that it 'should fly through an MOT' and that a 'small amount of work is need to get it on the road'. That's a pretty major claim based on, presumably, little mechanical knowledge. Having said that 'Buyer Beware' seems to also spring to mind, and your purchaser has bought the car on a 'sold as seen' basis.....although he could argue that you've not described the car correctly, and have described it as you have to get the maximum amount of cash from him.

On balance, when I used to buy second hand cars I used to ignore the ****e people used to spout and make my own decisions. I certainly wouldn't take someones word for it that it should 'fly through an MOT'. I think you've been a bit underhand / stupid / naive with your advert, but he saw the goods, inspected them, signed a 'sold as seen' receipt and took it away happy. If he had a doubt he could have insisted on an MOT pre purchase...it would have been worth his £35 to find out.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Car is in good condition and only needs a small amount of work to get it on the road

With the above things sorted the car should fly through an MOT.

Based on that, you have lied through your teeth and owe the guy a refund. However if he has signed a receipt to say its sold as seen you will probably get away with it, unfortunately.

For the third time, for you and buctootim, and i'll shout so you can understand : AT THE TIME OF SALE I LISTED WHAT I KNEW TO BE WRONG WITH IT, I KNEW IT WOULD FAIL THE MOT FOR THESE THINGS. That is failed for MORE than the things I knew about is none of my concern - he bought it, he took the risk.

It was sold as SPARES / easy fix, where is the lie there? I could fix a couple of wishbone bushes if I had a spare week and a Hanes manual, point is I didn't at the time - and that was the most serious thing I WAS AWARE OF at the time of sale.

Chin Strain
03-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Will try to keep a long story short...

I sold my old car on Ebay, after the MOT because I knew it would fail on some pretty serious stuff - still had 6 months tax. It was a 1998 Saxo VTS (little rocket ship)

Advertised it as spares and repairs, listed all the things I KNEW to be wrong with it (had it looked over before I decided to sell it) - I said that the buyer could take it to pieces or fix it up, that was up to the buyer.

It sold for £550, which I was happy with. The matey came and paid for it the same day, only problem was I didn't have the V5C due to a number plate change. He paid for it anyway and drove it away.

The next day his "mate" MOT's it and its a total disaster, the matey wants his money back and is refusing to sign the V5C (which I now have) - even though the car was advertised as spares and repairs.

This all took place at the end of August. What do you think my options are? I would go round to his and make him sign it but he threatened me down the phone saying things like "I've just got out of prison blah blah blah"... The bloke looked like a crack head or something.

The tax will come up for renewal soon and the DVLA will come after ME because HE wont sign the V5C. I could just scrap it, but I don't know what the ****er is doing with the car?

One other thing, the bits in bold above aren't reflected in your advert. £90 for brushes, a tyre and battery is hardly reflective of 'pretty major stuff'. If you had someone look over it before you sold it, then that person either hasn't got a clue about cars or you with held some of the information.

I wouldn't buy a second hand car from you but, as I said, I wouldn't have listened to what you were telling me anyway!

buctootim
03-11-2011, 04:37 PM
"If you can show that the vehicle did not match the description the seller gave you, you will have a claim against them, even if the seller believed the description to be true. It will strengthen your claim if you have written proof of the false description, for example, a newspaper advertisement". Citizens Advice Bureau.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 04:39 PM
One other thing, the bits in bold above aren't reflected in your advert. £90 for brushes, a tyre and battery is hardly reflective of 'pretty major stuff'. If you had someone look over it before you sold it, then that person either hasn't got a clue about cars or you with held some of the information.

I wouldn't buy a second hand car from you but, as I said, I wouldn't have listened to what you were telling me anyway!

£90 for the part is one thing but getting someone to fit them is quite another.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 04:42 PM
"If you can show that the vehicle did not match the description the seller gave you, you will have a claim against them, even if the seller believed the description to be true. It will strengthen your claim if you have written proof of the false description, for example, a newspaper advertisement". Citizens Advice Bureau.

I think this is redundant given that he paid for the car getting on for 3 months ago, hes not made a complaint, he just wont sign the document.

buctootim
03-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Just had mine done for £140 all in. Man up. You had the car MOT'd and it failed. You didnt want to pay for the repairs so you sold a crock for the price of a roadworthy car of the same age and milege and you're squealing because you've been caught out. Give the man his money back and scrap the car.

Chin Strain
03-11-2011, 04:45 PM

But your advert said:

That reads as though it's £90 to do the job and the bushes are nice and cheap. If it's now £90 for the bushes plus fitting (you've alluded that's expensive) then you've contradicted your advert.....which is a lie.......sorry.

buctootim
03-11-2011, 04:46 PM
He came back the next day with a list of faults. Basically you a just being a sleazeball.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 04:47 PM

The guy at ATS looked it over when I went in about severe wheel wobble, he said it was the wishbone bushes that had faded, he showed me, he was right. That is all the trouble I knew about, I have a quote for getting the job done from ATS in Eastleigh. - in the MOT it came up that the drive shafts were bent and needed replacing - the fact that I didn't know about this is neither here nor their.

The guy hasn't got a case against me, I know that for certain.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
He came back the next day with a list of faults. Basically you a just being a sleazeball.

He came back with a list of faults and thats my fault how...? How many times do we have to go over this?

Chin Strain
03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
I think this is redundant given that he paid for the car getting on for 3 months ago, hes not made a complaint, he just wont sign the document.

Eh? You said 'the matey wants his money back and is refusing to sign the V5C'.....isn't that a complaint?

No offence SJ, but you need to make your mind up what the issue is here.....if he's not complaining why does he want his money back and why are we discussing the advert? If he wants his money back because he misled him, that's a complaint in anyones book.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Eh? You said 'the matey wants his money back and is refusing to sign the V5C'.....isn't that a complaint?

No offence SJ, but you need to make your mind up what the issue is here.....if he's not complaining why does he want his money back and why are we discussing the advert? If he wants his money back because he misled him, that's a complaint in anyones book.

Sorry that was in reply to Buctootims citizen beuro quotation, the guy hasn't made an official complaint (to the police, or a small claims court, or even Ebay). Obviously he wants his money back and wont sign the document, that is obvious.

buctootim
03-11-2011, 04:52 PM
He came back with a list of faults and thats my fault how...? How many times do we have to go over this?

Because you misrepresented the car in the ad. Because the faults were present when you sold it. You probably did know about the faults but even if you didnt you are still liable. Like Huffton said you will probably get away with it. Personally I hope he does smack you quite hard in the mouth because you deserve it.

Chin Strain
03-11-2011, 04:52 PM
The guy at ATS looked it over when I went in about severe wheel wobble, he said it was the wishbone bushes that had faded, he showed me, he was right. That is all the trouble I knew about, I have a quote for getting the job done from ATS in Eastleigh. - in the MOT it came up that the drive shafts were bent and needed replacing - the fact that I didn't know about this is neither here nor their.

The guy hasn't got a case against me, I know that for certain.

The trouble is you have made 2 claims in your advert that suggest otherwise, and that you can't substantiate:

- Car is in good condition and only needs a small amount of work to get it on the road.

- With the above things sorted the car should fly through an MOT.

He's an idiot for trusting you. You're an idiot for putting that in there. I wouldn't say, however, that he definitely hasn't got a case against you. You'd probably have been ok if you'd have listed what you did know was wrong with it, and said 'there may well be a raft of other issues, and I recommend that you get the car looked out before buying'. If you'd have said that, the car would almost certainly have gone for less money. Alternatively you could have put it through an MOT and given the documentation with faults and estimate for repair to any prospective buyer.

I still maintain that you've been economical with the truth saying that you knew it would fail on some pretty serious stuff.....what you've listed is not serious.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Because you misrepresented the car in the ad. Because the faults were present when you sold it. You probably did know about the faults but even if you didnt you are still liable. Like Huffton said you will probably get away with it. Personally I hope he does smack you quite hard in the mouth because you deserve it.

He can smack me in the mouth if he wants he'll just go straight back to Jail. The advice ebay's "care centre" gave me is that I shouldn't have anything to worry about, as given my knowledge of the car at the time of sale, I was honest. I was honest that, given my knowledge of the car at the time of sale, it would have gone through an mot with a small amount of work - I simply didn't have the capital to invest in getting it through the MOT, and luckily I was given my Grandads old car to use this year.

He was a total mug for paying £550 for it, I'm happy to say that.

Saint_Jonny
03-11-2011, 05:13 PM
I still maintain that you've been economical with the truth saying that you knew it would fail on some pretty serious stuff.....what you've listed is not serious.

That is your opinion, it seemed serious to me. A new tyre isn't serious, wishbone bushes and getting them fitted perhaps is.

From what you guys are saying I should have peered into the future and seen what else was wrong with the car, and then put it all in the advertisement, as I have said I did not have the money at the time to even get the thing tested.

Chin Strain
03-11-2011, 07:04 PM
That is your opinion, it seemed serious to me. A new tyre isn't serious, wishbone bushes and getting them fitted perhaps is.

From what you guys are saying I should have peered into the future and seen what else was wrong with the car, and then put it all in the advertisement, as I have said I did not have the money at the time to even get the thing tested.

Mate, it's not about what you knew / didn't know. It's about what you said. You claimed that with the 3 minor things fixed it would fly through the MOT. You claimed that with a small amount of work it would be on the road. Don't claim something unless you can back it up with facts, such as an MOT failure list. It seems as though neither of those claims were correct so, at best, you've been naive....but, in my view, so has he.

You asked for advice, you got advice. If you were asking for us to agree with your opinion, some of us wouldn't have bothered posting.

gaz
03-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Moral of the story? Don't pretend to be a mechanic. If you're gonna flog it, get a proper pre-MOT inspection done.

Oh and don't sell it without the V5.

SO16_Saint
03-11-2011, 09:14 PM
'sold as seen' in the receipt = should be in the clear.

IMO

But in no way am I a legal eagle.

dune
03-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Ring up Swansea and explain the situation and ask for their advice.

dune
03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
After reading all of the thread i'd say you deceived the buyer and I don't blame him for wanting his money back.

mcjwills
04-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Think your a sleazeball and he should take u to small claims court, systems like u should be stopped. I bet if the positions were reversed you would be winging for the planet that he had ripped you off. You should treat him as you would expect to be treated, with honour and respect.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I think you've misunderstood the situation. How any of this of my fault I don't know.i sold a car, it turned out to be adudd, i'm within my rights not to give a refund. That's the end of it. The end.

buctootim
04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
I think you've misunderstood the situation. How any of this of my fault I don't know.i sold a car, it turned out to be adudd, i'm within my rights not to give a refund. That's the end of it. The end.

You lied to him and to this forum, youre a creep. Added to that you try to play the victim, which makes you pathetic as well.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Buctootim please just do one. You haven't got a clue what the full picture is so I think you should just keep it to yourself. I'm done debating this with you so kindly **** off and apply your personal misgivings to some other thread.

maddog
04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Fantastic thread and one of the reasons why I love and then also hate this forum! Thanks for making my Friday everyone!

holepuncture
04-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Fantastic thread and one of the reasons why I love and then also hate this forum! Thanks for making my Friday everyone!

Agree with this, fantastic!

Jonny (aka 'arry), seems you are one corrupt mother f*cker so I would once again suggest you use my previously mentioned strategy.

You are a dirty skate f*cking sleazeball and you should be hanged for this, no lesser punishment will suffice, you have failed to show respect and honour to your fellow crack head therefore you deserve to die... it is tough justice but it is essential justice and you could spin it to your family that you are a martyr and a symbol of why it is wrong to be a bent corrupt c*nt of a car dealer.

I would keep one eye open at night from now on fella, I sense vigilante justice is on its way.

In the interests of justice, respect and honour I had a look at the listing number provided in page one of this thread, tracked your feedback and located the buyer - I have passed on the details of this thread to him (dont need to be registered SWF to view the lounge), so he can have a little more detail on the classic hoodwink scam he has fallen for. Whilst I stated clearly to him I do not endorse or encourage vigilante justice, I also stated vigilante justice is exactly the route I would go down and then I wished the crack head all the best in his quest for justice.

I sincerely hope this is of help to you.

tpbury
04-11-2011, 12:15 PM
I bought a Ford Escort once with a MOT 4 weeks old. Took it to a local garage (Eagles in Croydon for what it's worth) for a service and was told it was a deathtrap as the brakes were shot. Who did the MOT? Eagles. They gave some clap trap that the seller had switched the shoes and discs after the MOT - who knows.

The bloke who sold it to me was probably like Saint_Jonny - basically looking for a mug. I just took it on the chin - the car was our first 'family' car but died about 18 months later (and I paid 1100 for it 12 years ago). So, I was a mug and the d1ck who sold it to me was a d1ck. I didn't choose to threaten to smack him in the mouth however. But should the opportunity arise, I would!

Whitey Grandad
04-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Caveat emptor, I say.

Window Cleaner
04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
What could the buyer possibly have expected for £550 and no MOT, be honest,anything less than £1500/£2000 is a banger.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Agree with this, fantastic!

Jonny (aka 'arry), seems you are one corrupt mother f*cker so I would once again suggest you use my previously mentioned strategy.

You are a dirty skate f*cking sleazeball and you should be hanged for this, no lesser punishment will suffice, you have failed to show respect and honour to your fellow crack head therefore you deserve to die... it is tough justice but it is essential justice and you could spin it to your family that you are a martyr and a symbol of why it is wrong to be a bent corrupt c*nt of a car dealer.

I would keep one eye open at night from now on fella, I sense vigilante justice is on its way.

In the interests of justice, respect and honour I had a look at the listing number provided in page one of this thread, tracked your feedback and located the buyer - I have passed on the details of this thread to him (dont need to be registered SWF to view the lounge), so he can have a little more detail on the classic hoodwink scam he has fallen for. Whilst I stated clearly to him I do not endorse or encourage vigilante justice, I also stated vigilante justice is exactly the route I would go down and then I wished the crack head all the best in his quest for justice.

I sincerely hope this is of help to you.

I do hope that this post is a joke because if not, you are one truly sad individual with FAR to much time on your hands.

The 'crack head' bought a car without an MOT for £550, it was sold as spares / fixable. Jesus Christ you lot are uptight. I couldn't have been any more honest than I was when selling the car.

But as you lot seem to be implying, I am a dirty skate **** who is a pathological liar, a man never to be trusted - a lowlife, a 'sleezeball'.

However the FACTS are its the first car I haven't scrapped (and as such sold), I am NOT a liar and am a perfectly trustworthy individual. How you can jump to 101 conclusions about stuff you have NO IDEA about is beyond me.

I SOLD A CAR WITHOUT AN MOT - HE TOOK A RISK - IT DIDN'T PAY OFF. GET OVER IT.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Also, it was a ****ing auction, what he chose to pay for the ****ing car is up to him! I wouldn't pay that much for a car with no MOT but I sure as heck would take the cash off someone offering it to me. And so would all of you (although you might pretend to be all high and mighty and offer to take less, you ****ing wouldn't)

Durleyfos
04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
This thread turned out better than I thought it would do.

stu0x
04-11-2011, 01:14 PM
As usual, there's a lot of armchair lawyering going on here, and most of it is ill informed and incorrect. Here is some proper advice, with a capital A.

Firstly, the core issue you asked about. Whether he signs the V5 or not is irrelevant and has no impact on you. Registered Keeper is not the same thing as owner. You sold the car, it is no longer your property. Send the relevant part of the V5 to the DVLA, put in a short covering letter confirming you sold it and on what date if you feel the need. That's it, nothing else to it. From that point you are no longer the registered keeper of the car. He has no hold over you of any kind by not signing it. So you can stop flapping about that.

Secondly, the Police would have no interest in any complaint he might make, so don't worry about that. Although *technically* you might have committed a Fraud (see below), if he went to the Police they would simply tell him it's a civil issue.

Thirdly, there is very little chance by the sounds of it that he will actually pursue you in the civil courts. But if he did, I wouldn't bet against him getting at least a partial judgement. You see, you made representations in your advert that were untrue. You shouldn't be making assurances that, for example, a car will pass its MOT when you don't actually know. The fact that you apparently honestly didn't know the extent of the problems would be fine if that's what you said, but you didn't say that. You made representations that you *did* know the extent of the problems. If he can prove that he relied on those assurances, then they could become implied terms of the contract. Which would potentially put you in breach.

Fourthly, back in the real world, this guy knows where you live. Is it really worth the potential hassle? Man up, offer him a partial refund in settlement, and resolve it. After all, it's cheaper than replacing a window that's had a brick through it or similar.

stu0x
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
I SOLD A CAR WITHOUT AN MOT - HE TOOK A RISK - IT DIDN'T PAY OFF. GET OVER IT.
If you are so entrenched in your (not entirely correct) viewpoint, why on earth did you post a thread asking for advice?

dune
04-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Fourthly, back in the real world, this guy knows where you live. Is it really worth the potential hassle? Man up, offer him a partial refund in settlement, and resolve it. After all, it's cheaper than replacing a window that's had a brick through it or similar.

Anyone with any decency would offer a full refund. The car was mis sold.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
If you are so entrenched in your (not entirely correct) viewpoint, why on earth did you post a thread asking for advice?

I asked for advice on the issue over the V5C, which you have cleared up for me (thanks for that btw :) ). I've had to put my 'entrenched' viewpoint across because as per usual, the fine members of Saints Web picked apart the story until it was entirely out of hand and incorrect.

Like I said, I asked about the V5C and not wanting to be legal owner for obvious reasons, a lot of what followed was not expected on my part as I don't think I did anything wrong.

However I will admit that my choice of words in the Ebay add could have been better - but buyer beware - "should pass an MOT" is not exactly set in stone, is it.

A learning experience this has surely been for me.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 01:27 PM

I'm not decent though Dune, I am a 'sleezeball'.

Window Cleaner
04-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Any one with a bit of sense with just £550 to spend on a roadworthy vehicle would be looking for a bike.

dune
04-11-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm not decent though Dune, I am a 'sleezeball'.

Indeed. I just don't understand the point of this whingey thread when you are clearly a sheister that is getting what he deserves.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Any one with a bit of sense with just £550 to spend on a roadworthy vehicle would be looking for a bike.

Exactly, the guy that bought the car said himself that he would have no problem fixing whatever came up on the MOT because he "knew loads of mechanics".

I would expect VERY LITTLE from a £550, 13 year old Citroen with 110k(ish) on the clock that had been owned by 19-22 year olds its entire life.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Indeed. I just don't understand the point of this whingey thread when you are clearly a sheister that is getting what he deserves.

Dune, i'm not getting anything. I'll do as people as people have suggested and send the V5C off and that'll be the end of it.

As for the vigilante justice that was suggested, thankfully the recently out of jail chap doesn't know where I live, as I took the car to him.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Unbelievable Jonny you are a creep. OK so technically you will probably get away with it but that doesn't change the fact that you have really ripped a bloke off and then because he was stupid you think that's OK. Anyone with any empathy would offer at least a partial refund and it's sellers like you that give ebay a bad name.

I hope you buy something in a similar situation one day and the seller tells you to do one. You certainly deserve to be ripped off yourself.

buctootim
04-11-2011, 01:37 PM

You can get decent cars for that kind of money - I bought a Renault 19 for £700 which lasted trouble free for 5 years and 40,000 miles. Not everyone is a misrepresenting tosser.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Unbelievable Jonny you are a creep. OK so technically you will probably get away with it but that doesn't change the fact that you have really ripped a bloke off and then because he was stupid you think that's OK. Anyone with any empathy would offer at least a partial refund and it's sellers like you that give ebay a bad name.

I hope you buy something in a similar situation one day and the seller tells you to do one. You certainly deserve to be ripped off yourself.

I have been ripped off on cars in the past Hypo so it doesn't bother me.

Out of interest what would you expect from the car sold in that ebay auction, what would you GENUINELY expect?

For the 100th time, at the time of sale, what I put in that ebay auction was 100% accurate - to my knowledge.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
You can get decent cars for that kind of money - I bought a Renault 19 for £700 which lasted trouble free for 5 years and 40,000 miles. Not everyone is a misrepresenting tosser.

The amount of money paid isn't really the point. The bloke thought he was getting something from an advert that misrepresented what he was actually getting. I really feel sorry for the bloke, he has been conned by this little sh*t but karma is a b*tch so he will get what is coming to him most likely.

buctootim
04-11-2011, 01:41 PM
The amount of money paid isn't really the point. The bloke thought he was getting something from an advert that misrepresented what he was actually getting. I really feel sorry for the bloke, he has been conned by this little sh*t but karma is a b*tch so he will get what is coming to him most likely.

Agree totally

Doctoroncall
04-11-2011, 01:41 PM
This is a great thread, thanks to Saint_Jonny for starting it, I'm sure he'll be more cautious now.

I can see both sides - the winner was a dumbass and was taken advantage, St Jonny should have listed the facts only and avoided using opinion, especially as a lay person.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 01:43 PM
The amount of abuse I'm getting over this is totally unbelievable. I took legal advice from a friend, I consulted with a load of REAL people (not internet warriors), and they all told me that once he drove it away, it was his problem, he takes it on the chin. He bought car without an MOT, he took the risk. What I unknowingly sold him is unfortunate, but NOT MY PROBLEM.

I bought a Golf GTi a few years back for 2 grand, drove it 20 miles and the gear box casing cracked and ruined the clutch as well as the gearbox itself. I went back and asked for a refund, he told me to **** off, because he had no idea there was a problem with it. How is this any different?

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I have been ripped off on cars in the past Hypo so it doesn't bother me.

Oh so that's alright then. You've been ripped off so it's perfectly fine for you to rip off others.

Out of interest what would you expect from the car sold in that ebay auction, what would you GENUINELY expect?

If I was a trusting sort of guy then I would expect what you represented. Whether you knew or not, (and you probably did know a bit) it's the mark of a person how they deal with something like that. I bought an expensive coat off ebay once that was in a worse condition than advertised. I contacted the seller who was apologetic and offered to pay for a full refund and postage costs of the return. Now in your world he was a tw*t for doing that and should have called me a tosser and an idiot for trusting and kept all my money. See technically you will probably get away with it but it doesn't make you look like less of an a*sehole.

For the 100th time, at the time of sale, what I put in that ebay auction was 100% accurate - to my knowledge.

That maybe so (though I would be surprised if you didn't have an inkling) but as I said, you display no empathy for the buyer and have generally acted like a t*sser. You asked for advice and mine is that if you don't want to be thought of as a meanspirited Kn*b in life then you should at least offer a partial refund. The fact that you won't speaks volumes.

holepuncture
04-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Dune, i'm not getting anything. I'll do as people as people have suggested and send the V5C off and that'll be the end of it.

As for the vigilante justice that was suggested, thankfully the recently out of jail chap doesn't know where I live, as I took the car to him.

Sorry chap but you dont get out of it that easy! I also pointed out that your ebay account is linked to your paypal account and as such to your bank billing address - sorry to p*ss on your chips, but he will be able to track you down with absolute ease... I recommended going through the eBay dispute and resolution centres as they can and will disclose the necessary information to track you down... your biggest mistake here was doing the con through eBay!

So, like I said, keep one eye open at night Mr Lewis, cause if he is a wierd/nuts/cracked up as you suggest, he could well be scheming a cruel and unpleasant fate for you... when I mentioned vigilante justice to the buyer I joking pointed out Halloween & bonfire night is a cracking time to go out dressed up as a serial killer or burn a corpse!

He's coming for you,
He's coming for yoooouuuu,
You Dirty Car Dealer
He's coming for you!

BigShadow
04-11-2011, 01:51 PM

Doesn't the V5C include the previous keepers address? If so - he will know your address once he gets his copy.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 01:52 PM
haha I think he would have done so by now if he was planning on doing so. Also, when he threatened me on the phone I told him he'll go straight back to prison and I never heard from him again.

The V5C is in the post. This thread is over.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Ohh jonny is a pikey
He rips off blokes all day
And if the convict finds him
They're gonna make him pay.

angelman
04-11-2011, 01:53 PM
STL HTH

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_second_hand_vehicles.htm
You bought the vehicle from a private seller
You have very few legal rights if you have bought the vehicle from a private seller rather than a dealer.
The vehicle doesn't have to be of satisfactory quality. However, if the seller offers a description of the vehicle, it must match the description given. It must also be roadworthy and the seller must have 'good title' to the vehicle. This means that they must be the legal owner in order to sell it to you.
If the vehicle doesn't match the description given, you may be entitled to compensation. You may also be entitled to compensation if you have bought an unroadworthy car from a private seller, which has caused injury to someone. However, it may be especially difficult to get compensation from a private seller.
You will only be able to claim against a private seller for one of the following reasons:
the vehicle doesn't match the description they gave you
the seller broke a specific contract term
the seller was actually a dealer posing as a private seller
the seller did not have good title to the vehicle
the vehicle is unroadworthy.

angelman
04-11-2011, 01:55 PM
from the same link -

The vehicle is unroadworthy
If the vehicle is unroadworthy, the seller may have committed a criminal offence and you should report them to Consumer Direct on 0845 404 0506 or at: www.consumerdirect.gov.uk. In Northern Ireland, you should contact ConsumerLine on 0845 600 6262 or at: www.consumerline.org.

Seems you may have broken the law old boy. Maybe you should give the money back.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 01:57 PM
STL HTH

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_second_hand_vehicles.htm
You bought the vehicle from a private seller
You have very few legal rights if you have bought the vehicle from a private seller rather than a dealer.
The vehicle doesn't have to be of satisfactory quality. However, if the seller offers a description of the vehicle, it must match the description given. It must also be roadworthy and the seller must have 'good title' to the vehicle. This means that they must be the legal owner in order to sell it to you.
If the vehicle doesn't match the description given, you may be entitled to compensation. You may also be entitled to compensation if you have bought an unroadworthy car from a private seller, which has caused injury to someone. However, it may be especially difficult to get compensation from a private seller.
You will only be able to claim against a private seller for one of the following reasons:
the vehicle doesn't match the description they gave you
the seller broke a specific contract term
the seller was actually a dealer posing as a private seller
the seller did not have good title to the vehicle
the vehicle is unroadworthy.

Definitive proof that jonny is wrong and also that he is a thieving dirty pikey. The vehicle didn't match the description given, whether he knew that or not is irrelevant. I hope the buyer finds him an teaches him a thing or two about justice.

Saint_Jonny
from the same link -

The vehicle is unroadworthy
If the vehicle is unroadworthy, the seller may have committed a criminal offence and you should report them to Consumer Direct on 0845 404 0506 or at: www.consumerdirect.gov.uk. In Northern Ireland, you should contact ConsumerLine on 0845 600 6262 or at: www.consumerline.org.

Seems you may have broken the law old boy. Maybe you should give the money back.

The vehicle was sold as spares / fixable and stated not to have an MOT. Millions of cars are sold as spares and repairs, they must be breaking the law too. It was up to the buyer to judge what was written on the ebay article.

buctootim
The vehicle was sold as spares / fixable and stated not to have an MOT. Millions of cars are sold as spares and repairs, they must be breaking the law too. It was up to the buyer to judge what was written on the ebay article.

More lies Jonny.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180704342574?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2 Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570 .l1313%26_nkw%3D180704342574%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
lol you lot make me laugh. I'm off to go and rip off a load more crims and role around in big s*it like the dirty pikey that I am.

angelman
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM
To add to the above.... as the car wasn't sold without a SORN then it must be considered to be roadworthy, whether you said it was for spares or not. As it had no SORN then it has to be roadworthy. That it has 6 months MOT left is irrelevant - MOT does not give carte blanche to drive a car in an unroadworthy condition. It is merely a statement that the car passed on the day of the test and it is up to the owner to keep the car in a roadworthy condition.

You are stuffed and potentially a criminal. :)

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Hopefully the judge would find against you. Whether you have broken the law is up for debate. If you are talking about the spirit of the law and about being a fellow human being and citizen of the world, you are a cockle and deserve everything that comes to you.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:00 PM
To add to the above.... as the car wasn't sold without a SORN then it must be considered to be roadworthy, whether you said it was for spares or not. As it had no SORN then it has to be roadworthy. That it has 6 months MOT left is irrelevant - MOT does not give carte blanche to drive a car in an unroadworthy condition. It is merely a statement that the car passed on the day of the test and it is up to the owner to keep the car in a roadworthy condition.

Good man. Jonny response?

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:00 PM
More lies Jonny.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180704342574?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2 Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570 .l1313%26_nkw%3D180704342574%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Where are the lies? Spares / easy fix? What is wrong with that?

Honestly, you can believe what you like, you don't know me persanlly and I've never been called a liar or a pikey in my life. The guy doesn't know where I live (check the location), I wasn't in the wrong and that is the end of it. WOOPIE FOOKIN DOO :)

dune
04-11-2011, 02:01 PM

He soon will when he gets the documents through.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:02 PM

I don't think I have to worry chap as the guy wont be going through any legal course to get his 500 quid back, will he. He could barely put a sentence together when I met him. Like I said, the V5C is gone, I'm not going to worry about this for another moment. You lot can as much as you like.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:03 PM
He soon will when he gets the documents through.

My old address, Dune. The parents have since moved.

dune
04-11-2011, 02:05 PM

I'm sure the current occupiers will be able to forward him and his baseball bat wielding mates to the new address.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't think I have to worry chap as the guy wont be going through any legal course to get his 500 quid back, will he. He could barely put a sentence together when I met him. Like I said, the V5C is gone, I'm not going to worry about this for another moment. You lot can as much as you like.

Right so you broke the law (as shown here) and then think it's OK because you totally ripped off someone with a lower IQ than yourself. Just because you may get away with something doesn't make it morally right or mean that you have broken the law any less.

You have just admitted that you aren't bothered that you just committed fraud because you don't think the victim affected has the IQ to get his money back that he is rightfully entitled to. You are worse than I thought.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Previous occupants are easily found.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm sure the current occupiers will be able to forward him and his baseball bat wielding mates to the new address.

Oh thats it I'm boned. I wont be able to sleep at night now!

For the record, I don't feel like I've done anything wrong, the guy took the risk of buying a car without an MOT for 500 quid - how you can feel sorry for him is beyond me - and how I can be lambasted for not knowing every little detail about faults with the car is out of order - YES - I should have used better language in the Ebay article but at the end of the day, he bought an old car and would have known the risks.

buctootim
04-11-2011, 02:08 PM

So you are sending off the V5 today with another bit of false information. Its supposed to contain your current address, not your parents old address. Worth reporting to DVLC imo.

dune
04-11-2011, 02:09 PM

For the record, I don't feel like I've done anything wrong, the guy took the risk of buying a car without an MOT for 500 quid - how you can feel sorry for him is beyond me - and how I can be lambasted for not knowing every little detail about faults with the car is out of order - YES - I should have used better language in the Ebay article but at the end of the day, he bought an old car and would have known the risks.

He bought the car based on the false information you gave. You mis sold the car.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Right so you broke the law (as shown here) and then think it's OK because you totally ripped off someone with a lower IQ than yourself. Just because you may get away with something doesn't make it morally right or mean that you have broken the law any less.

You have just admitted that you aren't bothered that you just committed fraud because you don't think the victim affected has the IQ to get his money back that he is rightfully entitled to. You are worse than I thought.

This debate is entirely down to personal opinion and if you think I committed "fraud" then thats fine. Wrong, but fine.

As I said the matter is now over.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
So you are sending off the V5 today with another bit of false information. Its supposed to contain your current address, not your parents old address. Worth reporting to DVLC imo.

It has my current student address on the note I sent with the V5C, if he wants to drive 300 miles then more fool him!

emerson massey
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
I love this thread, pure gold

Dimond Geezer
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Sounds to me that you've given some thought to covering your tracks. :suspicious:

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:14 PM

You just admitted that you caused fraud and broke the law (it was just pointed out to you.) What you feel is irrelevant, you broke the law plain and simple and the fact that you won't do anything about it because you think he doesn't have the mental capacity to call you up on it is despicable to be honest.

You don't 'feel' you've done anything wrong. Pathetic.

buctootim
04-11-2011, 02:15 PM
You cant even keep your story straight for more than 10 minutes.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:16 PM
This debate is entirely down to personal opinion and if you think I committed "fraud" then thats fine. Wrong, but fine.

As I said the matter is now over.

No it isn't! What angelman posted is the LAW! This sin't a matter of opinion.

BigShadow
04-11-2011, 02:16 PM

So you misrepresented the state of the car....you failed to notify DVLA of a change of address....any other offences you wish to have 'taken into consideration' :lol:

In the OP's defence - he can't be a pikey because the reason he started this thread was so he could file the paperwork correctly. Hardly pikey behaviour.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I agree this thread is pure gold. All this flapping over a car - bought knowingly to be faulty - for 500 quid. You lot need to get out more :)

The change of full time address occurred since the sale - I am up in H'field with this V5C for a car that isn't mine.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:19 PM
So you misrepresented the state of the car....you failed to notify DVLA of a change of address....any other offences you wish to have 'taken into consideration' :lol:

In the OP's defence - he can't be a pikey because the reason he started this thread was so he could file the paperwork correctly. Hardly pikey behaviour.

He wanted people to support his side of things when he has actually broken the law. Taking the money since breaking the law and displaying no empathy towards the person they have blatently ripped off is pikey behaviour.

Born In The 80s
04-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Just had a browse through the thread. People like Jonny make me ****ing sick. Being ripped off by a cocky little gob****e is the worst feeling in the world - i have been there. The fact you were driving a car like that in the first place says a lot about you anyway. Hope the fella gets his hands on you and gives you a good ****ing kicking.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:20 PM
I agree this thread is pure gold. All this flapping over a car - bought knowingly to be faulty - for 500 quid. You lot need to get out more :)

The change of full time address occurred since the sale - I am up in H'field with this V5C for a car that isn't mine.

As angelman pointed out, with no SORN at the time of sale the car must be roadworthy. It wasn't so you broke the law.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Just had a browse through the thread. People like Jonny make me ****ing sick. Being ripped off by a cocky little gob****e is the worst feeling in the world - i have been there. The fact you were driving a car like that in the first place says a lot about you anyway. Hope the fella gets his hands on you and gives you a good ****ing kicking.

Thanks for the intelligent input, mate.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:22 PM
As angelman pointed out, with no SORN at the time of sale the car must be roadworthy. It wasn't so you broke the law.

A lesson learned, thanks.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
A lesson learned, thanks.

It wasn't learnt though, you ripped off the bloke, committed fraud and don't have the decency to offer a refund when this is pointed out to you. You have no moral fibre and would probably do it again to some other poor soul given the chance. People like you make me sick.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:27 PM
It wasn't learnt though, you ripped off the bloke, committed fraud and don't have the decency to offer a refund when this is pointed out to you. You have no moral fibre and would probably do it again to some other poor soul given the chance. People like you make me sick.

LOADS of assumptions about me you are making their Hypo. Amazing.

I don't go around making accusations of people I don't know personally so I'd appreciate it if you did the same.

mcjwills
04-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Shows how much of an arsole you are in one message your a poor student and later we all getting het up over £500. Well to me £500 is next years season ticket. Seems also once again the value of the car has changed on ebay just over £400 then its £550 now its £500, I think he should get a layer and sue your ass off in court and claim expenses because a layer would make you look the c**k you are.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:29 PM
LOADS of assumptions about me you are making their Hypo. Amazing.

I don't go around making accusations of people I don't know personally so I'd appreciate it if you did the same.

OK lets stick to what we know.

You committed fraud

When this is pointed out to you you stand by your crime and refuse to consider any sort of compensation to the victim of your crime

So are you saying that you wouldn't do this again should the opportunity present itself? Removing the assumptions, what you have done is horrible, meanspirited and illegal. Again, you make me sick.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:30 PM
WIsh I knew who this guy was. I would be very tempted to get him some free legal advice to ensure that justice was done.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm ganna stop replying to this thread now because you lot clearly don't know what you are talking about. I feel bad for the guy, it was unfortunate.

However my concious is clean so what you internet warriors may think means nothing to me.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm ganna stop replying to this thread now because you lot clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Ironic! Your lack of self awareness is amazing. Angelman points out clearly that you have broken the law. How do we not know what we are talking about when you are the one who admits to committing criminal acts?

I feel bad for the guy, it was unfortunate.

Not so bad that you will give him the money back that he is legally entitled to.

However my concious is clean so what you internet warriors may think means nothing to me.

How is it? You broke the law you little sh*t.

buctootim
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM

I feel bad for the guy, it was unfortunate. However my concious is clean so what you internet warriors may think means nothing to me.

You are full of **** and will say whatever you think will get you your own way. You sound remarkably immature, not to mention repellant .

Colinjb
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
However my concious is clean.

Unbelievable.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Unbelievable.

So is the spelling.

Whitey Grandad
04-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Look, according to the seller this trade was not made through Ebay so that description does not apply. All that matters is what took place at the time of the sale/purchase. Earlier descriptions of the vehicle are out of date. It is up to the buyer to satisfy himself as to the condition of the goods that he is buying. This is a private trade between two individuals so consumer law does not apply. After the latest MOT the vehicle has been found to be unroadworthy, but according to the statements above it was never described as such. The only dispute that I can see is to the amount that would need to be spent in order to make the vehicle roadworthy again, and that will be what was discussed at the time of the sale. Any earlier descriptions on Ebay are out of date irrelevant. As I said above, the law says 'caveat emptor' - 'let the buyer beware' - which is a basic principle in commerce where anything is sold without a warranty.

(All in my humble opinion, of course.)

Whitey Grandad
04-11-2011, 02:44 PM
How is it? You broke the law you little sh*t.

What law would that be, exactly?

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Look, according to the seller this trade was not made through Ebay so that description does not apply. All that matters is what took place at the time of the sale/purchase. Earlier descriptions of the vehicle are out of date. It is up to the buyer to satisfy himself as to the condition of the goods that he is buying. This is a private trade between two individuals so consumer law does not apply. After the latest MOT the vehicle has been found to be unroadworthy, but according to the statements above it was never described as such. The only dispute that I can see is to the amount that would need to be spent in order to make the vehicle roadworthy again, and that will be what was discussed at the time of the sale. Any earlier descriptions on Ebay are out of date irrelevant. As I said above, the law says 'caveat emptor' - 'let the buyer beware' - which is a basic principle in commerce where anything is sold without a warranty.

(All in my humble opinion, of course.)

He says himself he sold it without a SORN which means that legally it must be roadworthy. It wasn't so he has broken the law.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:45 PM
What law would that be, exactly?

You are stuffed and potentially a criminal.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:51 PM

You are stuffed and potentially a criminal.

You are living in a dream land if you think I am "stuffed" Hypo. If you had a bit of steering wheel wobble would you rush home, jump online and declare the car SORN? Errr no, you wouldn't. Wake up mate, the world doesn't work like that.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
You are living in a dream land if you think I am "stuffed" Hypo. If you had a bit of steering wheel wobble would you rush home, jump online and declare the car SORN? Errr no, you wouldn't. Wake up mate, the world doesn't work like that.

My post was just a copy and paste of what angelman wrote. Was the car roadworthy when you sold it? Yes or no?

Pancake
04-11-2011, 02:57 PM
As it had no SORN then it has to be roadworthy.

Err... what now? That's an interesting way to read the taxation and MOT rules.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 02:57 PM
My post was just a copy and paste of what angelman wrote. Was the car roadworthy when you sold it? Yes or no?

It turned out not to be, no. If I have broken this particular law then by god, surely, I am not the only one. One bald tyre, one leaky gasket, and BOOM, we all need to be SORN.

Doctoroncall
04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Sorry, I'm getting confused where this six months MOT has come from, I thought the car didn't have one, expiring in May - Saint Jonny can you clarify?

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Err... what now? That's an interesting way to read the taxation and MOT rules.

Take it up with angelman not me.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Sorry, I'm getting confused where this six months MOT has come from, I thought the car didn't have one, expiring in May - Saint Jonny can you clarify?

The MOT expired just before the end of the auction end date. This SORN thing is a bit silly really. Hypo is just jumping on top of something so he go on a bit more...

badgerx16
04-11-2011, 03:08 PM
A car has to be taxed or have a SORN, unless being kept off the road and untaxed for less than 14 days, it is nothing to do with being in a roadworthy condition. A car with a current SORN cannot be driven on the road except to a prearranged MOT test - provided valid insurance is in place. In this case it had tax,- but was not 'roadworthy' as it's MOT had expired.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Far enough. I detract that comment but you are still an a*se for what you have done.

angelman
04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
The MOT expired just before the end of the auction end date. This SORN thing is a bit silly really. Hypo is just jumping on top of something so he go on a bit more...

So you sold a car without an MOT or SORN, which is illegal, not the selling but the fact that the car's status was. The buyer should have checked and refused to drive it away, so he too broke the law as it had no MOT and therefore very doubtful any insurance.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
So you sold a car without an MOT or SORN, which is illegal, not the selling but the fact that the car's status was. The buyer should have checked and refused to drive it away, so he too broke the law as it had no MOT and therefore very doubtful any insurance.

Thanks for the clarification. I detract my previous detraction.

Dimond Geezer
04-11-2011, 03:22 PM

I can't see how selling a car without MOT or SORN is illegal. Driving one may be, that is down to the buyer to check.

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Now I am confused. Can we have a definitive answer on whether this is illegal or not?

Whitey Grandad
04-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I can't see how selling a car without MOT or SORN is illegal. Driving one may be, that is down to the buyer to check.

I fully agree.

badgerx16
04-11-2011, 03:26 PM
So you sold a car without an MOT or SORN, which is illegal, not the selling but the fact that the car's status was.

Genuine question, is it really illegal to have a car that has neither MOT or SORN ? I know it is illegal to have a car with neither tax or SORN, and it is illegal to drive a car without valid insurance, and to drive a car without a valid MOT unless to a retest; but if a car is otherwise stationary, and displays a valid tax disc, is this not perfectly legal ?

angelman
04-11-2011, 03:30 PM

To clear it up as I might not have been clear (even to myself :)). The law recently changed to say that your car either has to be taxed or on a SORN. You can't leave an unroadworthy car off the road. In order to be taxed, a valid MOT and insurance has to be in place.

The MOT certificate
The MOT certificate confirms that at the time of the test, without dismantling it, the vehicle met the minimum acceptable environmental and road safety standards required by law. It doesn’t mean that the vehicle is roadworthy for the length of time the certificate is valid. The MOT certificate is also no guarantee of the general mechanical condition of your vehicle. The test doesn’t cover the condition of the engine, clutch or gearbox. From Directgov.

He knowingly sold an unroadworthy car.

angelman
04-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Genuine question, is it really illegal to have a car that has neither MOT or SORN ? I know it is illegal to have a car with neither tax or SORN, and it is illegal to drive a car without valid insurance, and to drive a car without a valid MOT unless to a retest; but if a car is otherwise stationary, and displays a valid tax disc, is this not perfectly legal ?

yes, I think you are right.

Dimond Geezer
04-11-2011, 03:35 PM
It would seem to me that some of the posters on here don't actually know what they are talking about (Hypo). Saint_Jonny may have been naive or fraudulent, it's not for me to judge, only he knows what he was thinking when he placed the ad. It would now appear that the post by Whitey Grandad has been accepted as correct, that some are now just trying to clutch at anything to clobber Saint_Jonny with. It's like watching the school bully.

Bearsy
04-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I bought a Golf GTi a few years back for 2 grand, drove it 20 miles and the gear box casing cracked and ruined the clutch as well as the gearbox itself. I went back and asked for a refund, he told me to **** off, because he had no idea there was a problem with it. How is this any different?

Before you bought the car did the seller tell you that the gear box was sound?

If so then yes, that's the same thing. Misrepresentation of goods is as common as it is reprehensible, there are a lot of extremely selfish scumbags in this world who are quite happy to take advantage of innocent and trusting consumers. It's sickening, isn't it?

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 03:43 PM
It would seem to me that some of the posters on here don't actually know what they are talking about (Hypo). Saint_Jonny may have been naive or fraudulent, it's not for me to judge, only he knows what he was thinking when he placed the ad. It would now appear that the post by Whitey Grandad has been accepted as correct, that some are now just trying to clutch at anything to clobber Saint_Jonny with. It's like watching the school bully.

Everything I said stands. The only point that was contentious was the point about the SORN which I retracted when told it was not illegal. It seems that it was in fact illegal and thus the point does stand. What bit do I not know what I am talking about?

Whitey Grandad
04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Everything I said stands. The only point that was contentious was the point about the SORN which I retracted when told it was not illegal. It seems that it was in fact illegal and thus the point does stand. What bit do I not know what I am talking about?

Surely, everything that has been posted has only been an expression of opinion. We are not privy to the discussions that took place at the time of sale so I would suggest that we cannot venture an opinion as to the description of the vehicle that was made at this time. The only true test of legality is in front of a judge.

I would say that driving away in a vehicle that you had just bought and knew to be unroadworthy was definiteley not kosher, unless you were taking it for a pre-booked MOT test at a reasonably local test station by the most direct route, which would be pretty stupid if you knew that it was going to fail anyway. I don't suppose it would bhave been insured either.

Whitey Grandad
04-11-2011, 04:01 PM

If so then yes, that's the same thing. Misrepresentation of goods is as common as it is reprehensible, there are a lot of extremely selfish scumbags in this world who are quite happy to take advantage of innocent and trusting consumers. It's sickening, isn't it?

Not necessarily. The gearbox may have been sound to the best of the knowledge and belief of the seller. The buyer may have crashed the gears all the way to the nearest motorway, or hit a raised drainhole cover, or may just have been unlucky.

Mind you, in my early days there was talk of putting sawdust into the gearbox to keep it quiet.

egg
04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Jeez, this thread has gone mental.

The op made the mistake of suggesting that the car would fly through it's mot with only a few jobs. Whether he knew more than that only he knows - either way he was naive, at best, to say what he did.

He sold it as seen so will probably be ok if the buyer brings a claim. Whether he should be is another matter.

Whitey Grandad
04-11-2011, 04:17 PM
The op made the mistake of suggesting that the car would fly through it's mot with only a few jobs. Whether he knew more than that only he knows - either way he was naive, at best, to say what he did.

The OP said later that the car was sold 'outside Ebay' so the first statement may not have applied to this sale. You're quite right to talk about being naive. I'm sure there's a lesson there for all of us, whether selling or buying.

egg
04-11-2011, 04:29 PM
The OP said later that the car was sold 'outside Ebay' so the first statement may not have applied to this sale. You're quite right to talk about being naive. I'm sure there's a lesson there for all of us, whether selling or buying.

I must have glazed over by then!

hypochondriac
04-11-2011, 04:33 PM

Would be good to hear if the person who bought it was attracted to the sale because of the ebay ad. The way it was written certainly suggested that that was the case.

Saint_Jonny
04-11-2011, 04:43 PM

I had a look over the car and could see nothing obviously wrong with it, a bit of rust but that was to be expected of a MK III Golf. The question of the gearbox being sound never came up funnily enough. It blew up and I had to pay for it, I accepted that pretty quickly to be honest. I know a lad who bought a 306 Gti, drove it for less than a day and the big end went, nothing he or the seller could possibly know about it, it just went (not that I know the specifics), did my mate get his money back? Did he heck, the seller said no. See a pattern emerging here? Once the buyer drives it away, who knows what they have done to it, if they come back and find a load of faults I didn't know about, how do I know that its legit / they aren't just taking me for a ride?

Doctoroncall
04-11-2011, 06:04 PM
My first car was a mistake but with my next I got the AA to do an assessment as I know bugger all about the mechanics of a car. It cost me £100 at the time but saved a couple of grand as the engine was shot. A mate did this at an auction, the car was fine and a bargain.

tpbury
05-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Hypo - not to detract from this thread, but the word you're looking for is 'retract'. As in, 'The Sumo fighter retracted his testicles prior to the big bout'.

buctootim
05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
I sold my old car on Ebay, after the MOT because I knew it would fail on some pretty serious stuff

Once the buyer drives it away, who knows what they have done to it, if they come back and find a load of faults I didn't know about, how do I know that its legit / they aren't just taking me for a ride?

You're a slimeball Jonny who cant even lie convincingly Jonny.

Saint_Jonny
05-11-2011, 01:37 PM

You can twist my words to believe whatever you want mate, doesn't bother me. The quotes you've highlighted are all different parts of the overall story, if you can't see the big picture, then whatever...? Pfft.

Chin Strain
05-11-2011, 04:55 PM
I had a look over the car and could see nothing obviously wrong with it, a bit of rust but that was to be expected of a MK III Golf. The question of the gearbox being sound never came up funnily enough. It blew up and I had to pay for it, I accepted that pretty quickly to be honest. I know a lad who bought a 306 Gti, drove it for less than a day and the big end went, nothing he or the seller could possibly know about it, it just went (not that I know the specifics), did my mate get his money back? Did he heck, the seller said no. See a pattern emerging here? Once the buyer drives it away, who knows what they have done to it, if they come back and find a load of faults I didn't know about, how do I know that its legit / they aren't just taking me for a ride?

Surely you can see the difference though. You made claims that the car would fly through the MOT. This can only have been stated in an advert in order to enhance the chances of you obtaining the best possible price. You actually listed what needed to be done. These 'facts' seem to be based on absolutely zero knowledge or evidence. If you hadn't made any outlandish claims in the advert, there wouldn't be a poster on here who would take you to task.

Therefore, Bearsy's question about whether the seller told you the gearbox was sound (or indeed actually specified it in the advert) is a very valid one. It sounds like he didn't make any such claims, so 'buyer beware'.

He didn't mention the gearbox at all. You chose, stupidly, to mention the MOT amongst other things.

Can you see the difference??

Saint_Jonny
05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Surely you can see the difference though. You made claims that the car would fly through the MOT. This can only have been stated in an advert in order to enhance the chances of you obtaining the best possible price. You actually listed what needed to be done. These 'facts' seem to be based on absolutely zero knowledge or evidence. If you hadn't made any outlandish claims in the advert, there wouldn't be a poster on here who would take you to task.

Therefore, Bearsy's question about whether the seller told you the gearbox was sound (or indeed actually specified it in the advert) is a very valid one. It sounds like he didn't make any such claims, so 'buyer beware'.

He didn't mention the gearbox at all. You chose, stupidly, to mention the MOT amongst other things.

Can you see the difference??

Yes I can see the difference mate, and I have already admitted that my choice of language could have been better in the add. However the "buyer beware" theory still applies as just as in the gearbox issue I had when buying a car, I did not lie to anyone as given my knowledge of the cars condition what I said at the time turned out not to be true - which is unfortunate but not my fault, just as the gear box blowing up wasn't the guy who sold me the Gti's fault. Its just tough **** for me and tough **** for the guy that bought my Saxo.

CB Saint
05-11-2011, 09:30 PM
christ Jonny, are you still biting?

Saint_Jonny
05-11-2011, 09:50 PM
christ Jonny, are you still biting?

A lot of slanderous ******** was spouted in my direction on this thread. You are right though, I should have stopped looking at it ages ago.

Oh god I'm replying again aren't I.

holepuncture
06-11-2011, 11:03 AM

He is a disgusting human being and a pathetic excuse of a man. A slimeball of the highest order.

I have spoken to the buyer and provided him with some legal advice, he isn't of sound mind and as you can imagine falling for jonnys scam has exacerbated this.

On the buyers behalf I will be speaking to the police this afternoon and I will not rest until jonny is behind bars.... Justice must be served

Saint_Jonny
06-11-2011, 11:23 AM
:lol:

benjii
06-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Yes, it's obvious who the real ****s on this thread are and it isn't the naive and scared teen.

angelman
06-11-2011, 08:08 PM
A lot of slanderous ******** was spouted in my direction on this thread. You are right though, I should have stopped looking at it ages ago.

Oh god I'm replying again aren't I.

Can I be pedantic (or not)? Slander is spoken, libel is written - so you should have written "libellous ********". HTH

mehball
08-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Haha just came across this thread! This was my friend who purchased this mess from Eastleigh. Needless to say Jonny you have a small claims court claim coming your way very soon. It was not advertised as parts as you can see from your ebay ad. The car it not road worthy.

Saint_Jonny
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Haha just came across this thread! This was my friend who purchased this mess from Eastleigh. Needless to say Jonny you have a small claims court claim coming your way very soon. It was not advertised as parts as you can see from your ebay ad. The car it not road worthy.

Oooo small world isn't it! Your 'friend' is leaving it a bit late isn't he? Funny how I haven't heard from him for ages and ages. Spoke to his sister the day before yesterday (who's ebay account it is) and she gave me the cars current address and was happy for me to send the docs off and leave it at that. So excuse me if I don't believe you, mehball.

dune
08-11-2011, 10:38 AM
If your mate requires any witnesses i'm happy to stand up in court and tell everyone what a slimey slug saint jonny is.

holepuncture
08-11-2011, 10:56 AM
If your mate requires any witnesses i'm happy to stand up in court and tell everyone what a slimey slug saint jonny is.

That is very decent of you and I follow your kind sentiments. At times like these it is important we all rally together and fight this sleazy scum bag Jonny_Saint.

The buyer has contacted the small claims court, and his sister has been playing a role of diplomacy with the slimeball to keep communications up to date and to also lull him into a false sense of security.

I believe the police will soon be visiting Jonny_Saint during a dawn raid under operation 'creep' which is a joint constabulary venture to crack down on fraud, misrepresentation and the sale of goods under deception.

Watch your back Jonny, theyre coming for you and its going to turn very nasty for you, and about time too.

Whitey Grandad
08-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Private sale between consenting adults. Nothing much happening here, move along please. :p

LGTL
08-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Worst wind up thread I've ever seen on here, can't believe it's made 4 pages.

Whitey Grandad
08-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Worst wind up thread I've ever seen on here, can't believe it's made 4 pages.

What do you expect? International weekend so no footie and bugger-all else going on.

angelman
08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Moral of the story: don't sell a car claiming it can sale through an MOT that it doesn't have, and on an advert play up the "sold as seen" bit.

Mehball - your mate who is doing the small claims court bit. Word of advice as to be a bit careful. Driving the car (away from St. J) without tax, insurance or MOT is kinda against the law. Maybe he was covered but.....