I sold a car....advice!

Saint_Jonny

Genuine question, is it really illegal to have a car that has neither MOT or SORN ? I know it is illegal to have a car with neither tax or SORN, and it is illegal to drive a car without valid insurance, and to drive a car without a valid MOT unless to a retest; but if a car is otherwise stationary, and displays a valid tax disc, is this not perfectly legal ?

yes, I think you are right.

It would seem to me that some of the posters on here don't actually know what they are talking about (Hypo). Saint_Jonny may have been naive or fraudulent, it's not for me to judge, only he knows what he was thinking when he placed the ad. It would now appear that the post by Whitey Grandad has been accepted as correct, that some are now just trying to clutch at anything to clobber Saint_Jonny with. It's like watching the school bully.

I bought a Golf GTi a few years back for 2 grand, drove it 20 miles and the gear box casing cracked and ruined the clutch as well as the gearbox itself. I went back and asked for a refund, he told me to **** off, because he had no idea there was a problem with it. How is this any different?

Before you bought the car did the seller tell you that the gear box was sound?

If so then yes, that's the same thing. Misrepresentation of goods is as common as it is reprehensible, there are a lot of extremely selfish scumbags in this world who are quite happy to take advantage of innocent and trusting consumers. It's sickening, isn't it?

It would seem to me that some of the posters on here don't actually know what they are talking about (Hypo). Saint_Jonny may have been naive or fraudulent, it's not for me to judge, only he knows what he was thinking when he placed the ad. It would now appear that the post by Whitey Grandad has been accepted as correct, that some are now just trying to clutch at anything to clobber Saint_Jonny with. It's like watching the school bully.

Everything I said stands. The only point that was contentious was the point about the SORN which I retracted when told it was not illegal. It seems that it was in fact illegal and thus the point does stand. What bit do I not know what I am talking about?

Everything I said stands. The only point that was contentious was the point about the SORN which I retracted when told it was not illegal. It seems that it was in fact illegal and thus the point does stand. What bit do I not know what I am talking about?

Surely, everything that has been posted has only been an expression of opinion. We are not privy to the discussions that took place at the time of sale so I would suggest that we cannot venture an opinion as to the description of the vehicle that was made at this time. The only true test of legality is in front of a judge.

I would say that driving away in a vehicle that you had just bought and knew to be unroadworthy was definiteley not kosher, unless you were taking it for a pre-booked MOT test at a reasonably local test station by the most direct route, which would be pretty stupid if you knew that it was going to fail anyway. I don't suppose it would bhave been insured either.

If so then yes, that's the same thing. Misrepresentation of goods is as common as it is reprehensible, there are a lot of extremely selfish scumbags in this world who are quite happy to take advantage of innocent and trusting consumers. It's sickening, isn't it?

Not necessarily. The gearbox may have been sound to the best of the knowledge and belief of the seller. The buyer may have crashed the gears all the way to the nearest motorway, or hit a raised drainhole cover, or may just have been unlucky.

Mind you, in my early days there was talk of putting sawdust into the gearbox to keep it quiet.

Jeez, this thread has gone mental.

The op made the mistake of suggesting that the car would fly through it's mot with only a few jobs. Whether he knew more than that only he knows - either way he was naive, at best, to say what he did.

He sold it as seen so will probably be ok if the buyer brings a claim. Whether he should be is another matter.

The op made the mistake of suggesting that the car would fly through it's mot with only a few jobs. Whether he knew more than that only he knows - either way he was naive, at best, to say what he did.

The OP said later that the car was sold 'outside Ebay' so the first statement may not have applied to this sale. You're quite right to talk about being naive. I'm sure there's a lesson there for all of us, whether selling or buying.

The OP said later that the car was sold 'outside Ebay' so the first statement may not have applied to this sale. You're quite right to talk about being naive. I'm sure there's a lesson there for all of us, whether selling or buying.

I must have glazed over by then!

Would be good to hear if the person who bought it was attracted to the sale because of the ebay ad. The way it was written certainly suggested that that was the case.

I had a look over the car and could see nothing obviously wrong with it, a bit of rust but that was to be expected of a MK III Golf. The question of the gearbox being sound never came up funnily enough. It blew up and I had to pay for it, I accepted that pretty quickly to be honest. I know a lad who bought a 306 Gti, drove it for less than a day and the big end went, nothing he or the seller could possibly know about it, it just went (not that I know the specifics), did my mate get his money back? Did he heck, the seller said no. See a pattern emerging here? Once the buyer drives it away, who knows what they have done to it, if they come back and find a load of faults I didn't know about, how do I know that its legit / they aren't just taking me for a ride?

I sold my old car on Ebay, after the MOT because I knew it would fail on some pretty serious stuff

He was a total mug for paying £550 for it, I'm happy to say that.

Once the buyer drives it away, who knows what they have done to it, if they come back and find a load of faults I didn't know about, how do I know that its legit / they aren't just taking me for a ride?

You're a slimeball Jonny who cant even lie convincingly Jonny.

You can twist my words to believe whatever you want mate, doesn't bother me. The quotes you've highlighted are all different parts of the overall story, if you can't see the big picture, then whatever...? Pfft.

Edited by Saint_Jonny

I had a look over the car and could see nothing obviously wrong with it, a bit of rust but that was to be expected of a MK III Golf. The question of the gearbox being sound never came up funnily enough. It blew up and I had to pay for it, I accepted that pretty quickly to be honest. I know a lad who bought a 306 Gti, drove it for less than a day and the big end went, nothing he or the seller could possibly know about it, it just went (not that I know the specifics), did my mate get his money back? Did he heck, the seller said no. See a pattern emerging here? Once the buyer drives it away, who knows what they have done to it, if they come back and find a load of faults I didn't know about, how do I know that its legit / they aren't just taking me for a ride?

Surely you can see the difference though. You made claims that the car would fly through the MOT. This can only have been stated in an advert in order to enhance the chances of you obtaining the best possible price. You actually listed what needed to be done. These 'facts' seem to be based on absolutely zero knowledge or evidence. If you hadn't made any outlandish claims in the advert, there wouldn't be a poster on here who would take you to task.

Therefore, Bearsy's question about whether the seller told you the gearbox was sound (or indeed actually specified it in the advert) is a very valid one. It sounds like he didn't make any such claims, so 'buyer beware'.

He didn't mention the gearbox at all. You chose, stupidly, to mention the MOT amongst other things.

Can you see the difference??

Surely you can see the difference though. You made claims that the car would fly through the MOT. This can only have been stated in an advert in order to enhance the chances of you obtaining the best possible price. You actually listed what needed to be done. These 'facts' seem to be based on absolutely zero knowledge or evidence. If you hadn't made any outlandish claims in the advert, there wouldn't be a poster on here who would take you to task.

Therefore, Bearsy's question about whether the seller told you the gearbox was sound (or indeed actually specified it in the advert) is a very valid one. It sounds like he didn't make any such claims, so 'buyer beware'.

He didn't mention the gearbox at all. You chose, stupidly, to mention the MOT amongst other things.

Can you see the difference??

Yes I can see the difference mate, and I have already admitted that my choice of language could have been better in the add. However the "buyer beware" theory still applies as just as in the gearbox issue I had when buying a car, I did not lie to anyone as given my knowledge of the cars condition what I said at the time turned out not to be true - which is unfortunate but not my fault, just as the gear box blowing up wasn't the guy who sold me the Gti's fault. Its just tough **** for me and tough **** for the guy that bought my Saxo.

He is a disgusting human being and a pathetic excuse of a man. A slimeball of the highest order.

I have spoken to the buyer and provided him with some legal advice, he isn't of sound mind and as you can imagine falling for jonnys scam has exacerbated this.

On the buyers behalf I will be speaking to the police this afternoon and I will not rest until jonny is behind bars.... Justice must be served

Yes, it's obvious who the real ****s on this thread are and it isn't the naive and scared teen.

A lot of slanderous ******** was spouted in my direction on this thread. You are right though, I should have stopped looking at it ages ago.

Oh god I'm replying again aren't I.

Can I be pedantic (or not)? Slander is spoken, libel is written - so you should have written "libellous ********". HTH

Edited by angelman

Haha just came across this thread! This was my friend who purchased this mess from Eastleigh. Needless to say Jonny you have a small claims court claim coming your way very soon. It was not advertised as parts as you can see from your ebay ad. The car it not road worthy.

Oooo small world isn't it! Your 'friend' is leaving it a bit late isn't he? Funny how I haven't heard from him for ages and ages. Spoke to his sister the day before yesterday (who's ebay account it is) and she gave me the cars current address and was happy for me to send the docs off and leave it at that. So excuse me if I don't believe you, mehball.

If your mate requires any witnesses i'm happy to stand up in court and tell everyone what a slimey slug saint jonny is.

That is very decent of you and I follow your kind sentiments. At times like these it is important we all rally together and fight this sleazy scum bag Jonny_Saint.

The buyer has contacted the small claims court, and his sister has been playing a role of diplomacy with the slimeball to keep communications up to date and to also lull him into a false sense of security.

I believe the police will soon be visiting Jonny_Saint during a dawn raid under operation 'creep' which is a joint constabulary venture to crack down on fraud, misrepresentation and the sale of goods under deception.

Watch your back Jonny, theyre coming for you and its going to turn very nasty for you, and about time too.

Moral of the story: don't sell a car claiming it can sale through an MOT that it doesn't have, and on an advert play up the "sold as seen" bit.

Mehball - your mate who is doing the small claims court bit. Word of advice as to be a bit careful. Driving the car (away from St. J) without tax, insurance or MOT is kinda against the law. Maybe he was covered but.....