"Bootboy" to Celtic??

miserableoldgit

He'd be a complete idiot to go. He has a great set-up at Leicester, and Celtic is a posioned challice with so much expectation it makes Mandrik seem unambitious. Also, the SPL is about on a par with our League1.

I have never understood the big fuss about Celtic, tbh.

Not quite sure if this is the right board for this, so Mods, move it if you wish.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1262666/Leicester-boss-Nigel-Pearson-shortlisted-vacant-Celtic-post.html

Can`t wait for a 19C response!!

I can ;)

It would be his normal inane drivel that made no sense at all!

Celtic is a massive job for anybody, but IMO, it is a job well suited to Sergeant Major Pearson!

While of course I am happy with AP right now, I was absolutely gutted when Lowe dispensed with his services when he did and any of the benefit of the doubt I had given him up until that point was swept away there and then. I liked Pearson as much as any manager we had had since Lawrie and despite his all too short time with us, I saw him as having great potential and I'm happy for him to see that it has borne out well with his success at Leicester.

He'd be a complete idiot to go. He has a great set-up at Leicester, and Celtic is a posioned challice with so much expectation it makes Mandrik seem unambitious. Also, the SPL is about on a par with our League1.

I have never understood the big fuss about Celtic, tbh.

Are you suggesting that, for example, Jock Stein, Kenny Dalgleish, Martin O`Neill and Gordon Strachan are League 1 managers?? They have also been finalists in the European Cup (winning once) and in the final of the Uefa Cup (2003). Whilst I accept that the standard of Scottish football in general is not the greatest, I think that to describe Celtic (and presumably Rangers) as League 1 is not quite right.

Celtic are a massive club in Scotland and with that comes the massive expectation of the fans - 2nd best is just not good enough as far as they are concerned - always thought that was very unreal and just adds to the pressure on any manager. Could Pearson succeed? I think he could but the fans would have him out in no time should the results not go their way. Align that with him being a direct type of person and English and I think he would have about half a season and no more.

I was told NP met the team last season at Sheff wed just to say hello and then mentioned that MM was always on his case. I don't think MM is that easy to get on with and if NP got the chance I suggest he would go.

I was not his most vocal supporter but he has done very well and i do like his manner.

He'll be unemployed within a year if he goes.

I agree, 19Cs response would be entertaining.

You may well be right, but Pearson may well view this as an opportunity.

After all, all he has to do is finish ahead of Rangers and he has won the SPL and a couple of seasons of success like that might land him a bigger job in the Prem.

If he goes and does well up there all sorts of doors could open for him - Youngish English Manager and all that!

But as you correctly say, it would be a very big risk on his part too.

[/b]

While of course I am happy with AP right now, I was absolutely gutted when Lowe dispensed with his services when he did and any of the benefit of the doubt I had given him up until that point was swept away there and then. I liked Pearson as much as any manager we had had since Lawrie and despite his all too short time with us, I saw him as having great potential and I'm happy for him to see that it has borne out well with his success at Leicester.

100% agree with this.

Are you suggesting that, for example, Jock Stein, Kenny Dalgleish, Martin O`Neill and Gordon Strachan are League 1 managers?? They have also been finalists in the European Cup (winning once) and in the final of the Uefa Cup (2003). Whilst I accept that the standard of Scottish football in general is not the greatest, I think that to describe Celtic (and presumably Rangers) as League 1 is not quite right.

More like Championship until they acclimatise?

I think it shows the decline of the SPL and the reason why Celtic and Rangers want to join the English Premier League, which with their current line up would struggle if it wasn't for their home form thanks to their respective fans making it such an intimatating atmosphere.

After all, all he has to do is finish ahead of Rangers and he has won the SPL and a couple of seasons of success like that might land him a bigger job in the Prem.

Didn't work like that for Strachan though. He's ended up at a similar level to where Pearson is now.