How much does this forum cost then?

hypochondriac

No, but we are contemplating applying for a licence for text-feed commentry for matchdays... depends on funds

I should probably amend that "No" to "Not yet". I think realistically we're probably going to have to.

I've asked people at SFC about the "nominated fanzine" thing, whereby we'd be able to display the fixtures for £1 per year rather than the £300-odd, but got very little response from them. I would imagine their stance would be even more negative in light of the changes we've now made to the forum in terms of revenue generation.

One question..... lets assume that with the money you generate from subscriptions etc, it easily pays for the running of the forum. What happens with all the remaining money??

I go on holiday.

No, not really. We have budgeted to turn a very small profit (perhaps £100, if that) over the course of the year. If we exceed that, great, we'll be able to afford to make improvements to the site, such as live score feeds etc (which I can assure you cost a small fortune).

I can assure you we're not doing this to make money for ourselves. It is, in our opinion, the best way of ensuring the forum can be hosted on a high-spec server which won't crash at peak times and that the cost for that is self-sufficient. Donations and advert revenue alone would never be able to provide any sort of long-term guarantee.

I go on holiday.

No, not really. We have budgeted to turn a very small profit (perhaps £100, if that) over the course of the year. If we exceed that, great, we'll be able to afford to make improvements to the site, such as live score feeds etc (which I can assure you cost a small fortune).

I can assure you we're not doing this to make money for ourselves. It is, in our opinion, the best way of ensuring the forum can be hosted on a high-spec server which won't crash at peak times and that the cost for that is self-sufficient. Donations and advert revenue alone would never be able to provide any sort of long-term guarantee.

As always, steve describes it all better than i can :)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Born of a selfishness which manifested itself during the eighties.

Thank you for recognising it.

Thatcher turned Britain single-handedly into a greed culture. Privatise everything, get shed-loads of cash from selling things that she didn't own, allow rocketing house prices by allowing couples who live together their own mortgage interest relief whilst married couples only get half as much.

Greed and selfishness, that's her legacy. I hope she doesn't get buried at sea, because I can't wait to dance on her grave.

Guest Hacienda
greed and selfishness, that's her legacy. I hope she doesn't get buried at sea, because i can't wait to dance on her grave.

word

I go on holiday.

As always, steve describes it all better than i can :)

Gents, thanks for this transparency. Although, in my opinion, you didn't really need questioning about it! You provide a fine service which, for me until now, has been gratis. I don't think somehow that you are going to get mega rich on my less than 1.37 pence a day!

Should you turn a small profit and you have a little spare after some reinvestment/improvement/whatever you see fit? Then perhaps you might, just might, be able to treat yourselves to a beer or two at Christmas 2009?

Please, keep up the good work.

Thank you for recognising it.

Thatcher turned Britain single-handedly into a greed culture. Privatise everything, get shed-loads of cash from selling things that she didn't own, allow rocketing house prices by allowing couples who live together their own mortgage interest relief whilst married couples only get half as much.

Greed and selfishness, that's her legacy. I hope she doesn't get buried at sea, because I can't wait to dance on her grave.

May I be so bold as to request that dance with you? ;)

this is my last allowed post of the day and so I must make the most of it, before my cheque arrives at Saintsweb HQ.

IMO if the owners of Saintsweb ltd make a good profit fair play to them, the time and trouble they take they deserve some reward.

I will hold them to not having advets or pop ups on the subscribed bit. The sites with the adverts on are awful and being advert free makes the site seem more exclusive.

Good luck with the venture and keep the good work up.

this is my last allowed post of the day and so I must make the most of it, before my cheque arrives at Saintsweb HQ.

IMO if the owners of Saintsweb ltd make a good profit fair play to them, the time and trouble they take they deserve some reward.

I will hold them to not having advets or pop ups on the subscribed bit. The sites with the adverts on are awful and being advert free makes the site seem more exclusive.

Good luck with the venture and keep the good work up.

+1

This message you have entered is now long enough.

I will hold them to not having advets or pop ups on the subscribed bit.

There may be a short moment when adverts appear to the subscribed, but only if i bollocks up the setup!!!

But yes, adverts will be to guests and non-paid users. (and ironically, the admins and mods, as we need to see the site from all points of view)

I must say, to set a LTD company and and a paypal collection service all in the space of 2-3 days must be a British record! Especially over the weekend. I guess the plan was to take money even before the servers went down?

The company was set up in January (I think) when me and Baj first suggested the idea. For one reason or another, which I won't go into, there wasn't universal agreement on it, so it was shelved for a while. We re-raised the idea about 3 or 4 weeks ago and got support from the entire admin team, and were going to take our time to implement it all.

However, the database crashing (and seemingly not wishing to be fixed) on Friday meant that we decided to work our arses off over the weekend to get it up and running asap.

There are a few things that need tinkering with, for example the adverts aren't live yet because in order to be approved for Google AdSense you need a live working site (which we didn't have over the weekend!). Also, the skins are a bit flaky, IMO, and they'll need a bit of hacking so they look right, e.g. modifying the layout so the username and user information appears down the left of all posts rather than over the top.

The company was set up in January (I think) when me and Baj first suggested the idea. For one reason or another, which I won't go into, there wasn't universal agreement on it, so it was shelved for a while. We re-raised the idea about 3 or 4 weeks ago and got support from the entire admin team, and were going to take our time to implement it all.

However, the database crashing (and seemingly not wishing to be fixed) on Friday meant that we decided to work our arses off over the weekend to get it up and running asap.

There are a few things that need tinkering with, for example the adverts aren't live yet because in order to be approved for Google AdSense you need a live working site (which we didn't have over the weekend!). Also, the skins are a bit flaky, IMO, and they'll need a bit of hacking so they look right, e.g. modifying the layout so the username and user information appears down the left of all posts rather than over the top.

Good job!

Not at all, after all, you could view the membership list on the forum and count them yourselves.

That said, I cant be arsed to log in and check how many have paid, but I do know that we're not even close to financially securing the site for a year... but I'm sure it will come, plenty of time.

Not at all, after all, you could view the membership list on the forum and count them yourselves.

That said, I cant be arsed to log in and check how many have paid, but I do know that we're not even close to financially securing the site for a year... but I'm sure it will come, plenty of time.

I imagine a lot of people are on hols at present also so it may take a few weeks even for the regulars to realise what has happened and pay the subscription. How long are you planning on keeping the announcement message up btw?

I imagine a lot of people are on hols at present also so it may take a few weeks even for the regulars to realise what has happened and pay the subscription. How long are you planning on keeping the announcement message up btw?

On TSF? permenantly.

There may be a short moment when adverts appear to the subscribed, but only if i ******** up the setup!!!

But yes, adverts will be to guests and non-paid users. (and ironically, the admins and mods, as we need to see the site from all points of view)

You what now?

:|

So, dumbarse moment here, do we pay anything to paypal when we send a payment?

Nope, it's a free lunch. But I always worry that someone is busy sending all the card details to an identity thief in Bangalore.