Stan collymore

Viking Warrior

Seems mister collymore is upsetting a few folk with comments about the Falklands .

The United Kingdom reasserted its rule over the Falkland Islands following a conflict, which resulted in the death of almost 1,000 people, after Argentina invaded the area in 1982.

On Sunday night, Collymore tweeted: "Falklands? Wasn't anyone's. We just thieved it, as we do. What glory, what triumph? A ****ing island with sheep."

Is he supporting the argies

What a tosser .

That isn't what Britain did for hundreds of years then? Turn up somewhere and decide it was ours?

His comments may have been crass, and poorly timed. But there's some truth to it.

Rule Britannia, eh?

Before some smart Alec chimes in, yes, obviously others did it. That doesn't exactly make it ok.

Seems mister collymore is upsetting a few folk with comments about the Falklands .

The United Kingdom reasserted its rule over the Falkland Islands following a conflict, which resulted in the death of almost 1,000 people, after Argentina invaded the area in 1982.

On Sunday night, Collymore tweeted: "Falklands? Wasn't anyone's. We just thieved it, as we do. What glory, what triumph? A ****ing island with sheep."

Is he supporting the argies

What a tosser .

Collymore is just an attention seeker, desperate to appear challenging and controversial, similar to Joey Barton. Both are actually quite thick.

That isn't what Britain did for hundreds of years then? Turn up somewhere and decide it was ours?

His comments may have been crass, and poorly timed. But there's some truth to it.

Rule Britannia, eh?

Before some smart Alec chimes in, yes, obviously others did it. That doesn't exactly make it ok.

And you, like the rest of us, reap the benefits of living in one of the richest countries in the world grown out of the Empire. If you feel so bad about our history you can always leave!!!! You could live in one of the countries we strip and dominated and mope around moaning how bad the British are.

.......Are you still living here?!?!?!? Thought so.

Also for your information the Falklands are held because it is one of the few NATO members territories in the southern hemisphere.

Ok, Stan and I are the only ones that think Britain ever did anything wrong, right?

I should just be deported now, right.

Putting words in people's mouths, no one said we never did anything wrong.

Why do the Commonwealth countries still affiliate themselves to the UK if we were all bad? The commonwealth still has 1/4 of the world's population. I know it isn't the British Commonwealth any more but you can't separate it from it's historical links to us. The commonwealth was the first international group South Africa joined after apartheid, why would they want anything to do with us if we are so bad?!

What plane do you want to be put on.......perhaps to Zimbabwe I'm sure President Robert Mugabe will welcome you.

Edited by the colonel

my high level connections at Villa FC swear blind that Collymore had a 3some with Gabby Logan & Kirsty Gallagher.

I've imagined it in my head. It was awesome! I dunno how that lucky c*nt has the gall to complain about anything after that!

The UK claims they own the Falklands because they've administered them continually from 1833.

Argentina claims they own the Falklands because they acquired them from Spain in 1816 and the UK illegally occupied them in 1833.

Except that Spain didn't actually own them, it was just that the pope said they could have all that half of the world (with of course no real authority to say so) .... And the Americans had thrown off the few people of mixed descent who were living there before 1833 because they were pirates who had attacked their whaling ships, so they were unoccupied.

Oh and we didn't recognise Argentina as an independent country until 1825, and of course never accepted the pope's right to allocate them as he pleased.

Oh and there is some evidence that an Englishman first discovered them a century or two before Spain claimed them, but to be fair that is disputed, mostly by the French who also claim to have discovers them but gave them up to the Spanish when the pope said so.

Apart from that, and about another page full of disputed claims, your analysis is perfect.

To be fair, I think he's got a point - however he's been acting very odd the last couple of months. Starting a lengthy argument with Katie Hopkins (formerly of The Apprentice, now children's name snob) was a particular low point, especially when she owned him in one tweet and he cried racism because somebody mocked one up of her sending him racial abuse. Seems he'll jump on anything to be in the spotlight, constantly retweeting the abuse he gets (that no other celebrities get, of course) and whining about it rather than doing the sensible thing, reporting it and just getting on with his day.

I don't see why commenting on Britain's involvement in the Falklands is necessarily an affront to servicemen.

Unless I missed it, in which case I apologise, he was commenting on Britain, and how it came to be involved with the region.

I haven't seen him saying anything about the servicemen that lost their lives (on either side), again if he has I've missed it and as above I'm sorry.

Very rarely do soldiers start conflict, they are simply doing their jobs, and sadly, that involves some people losing their lives. It's for that reason we should question why we get involved in these conflicts.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove
typo

I don't see why commenting on Britain's involvement in the Falklands is necessarily an affront to servicemen.

Unless I missed it, in which case I apologise, he was commenting on Britain, and how it came to be involved with the region.

I haven't seen him saying anything about the servicemen that lost their lives (on either side), again if he has I've missed it and as above I'm sorry.

Very rarely do soldiers start conflict, they are simply doing their jobs, and sadly, that involves some people losing their lives. It's for that reason we should question why we get involved in these conflicts.

because we never thieved them off anyone.

the country that thinks we did invaded them against the will of the population and 255 Brits died in the fight for the freedom of those who live there.

Only one nation on earth thinks we 'thieved' them from anyone.

Remind me Brett, what claim did we have to the Falklands apart from the fact that Brits landed there? I completely respect the people's decision to remain part of Britain, and obviously it's a tragedy that people have died over the argument, but what claim do we really have to them? "Thieved" is a strong word, but it's not entirely false either..

Remind me Brett, what claim did we have to the Falklands apart from the fact that Brits landed there? I completely respect the people's decision to remain part of Britain, and obviously it's a tragedy that people have died over the argument, but what claim do we really have to them? "Thieved" is a strong word, but it's not entirely false either..

the brits landed there. we dont own them as such, the locals wish time and time again to remain part of our nation.

we dont force them to, we dont tell them to.

Edited by Batman

the brits landed there. we dont own them as such, the locals wish time and time again to remain part of our nation.

we dont force them to, we dont tell them to.

Who are / were 'the locals'? Where did they come from originally? I know lots of British people live there NOW but either the place was empty before we British came along or there was an indigenous population there already.

Who are / were 'the locals'? Where did they come from originally? I know lots of British people live there NOW but either the place was empty before we British came along or there was an indigenous population there already.

where does anyone come from?

should the italians claim the UK now?

we havent just shipped 1000 people down there and told them to reproduce. they are born and bred falkland islanders even some from argentine (who do not wish for change)

even so, a long standing sovereign nation WISHES to remain as they are. Democratically and proudly

you could say that about any bit of land on earth and then have the same argument

Well, not really. You can't just land on a set of uninhabited islands and go "Yep, this is ours now". It's like if nobody lived on the Isle of Wight and some Albanian settlers moved in there and claimed it as their own. Obviously Brits landed there a while ago now, but it's the same principle - just because it's uninhabited doesn't mean it's not part of somebody's territory.

Well, not really. You can't just land on a set of uninhabited islands and go "Yep, this is ours now". It's like if nobody lived on the Isle of Wight and some Albanian settlers moved in there and claimed it as their own. Obviously Brits landed there a while ago now, but it's the same principle - just because it's uninhabited doesn't mean it's not part of somebody's territory.

no, not now.

you could hundreds of years ago.

this argument, if followed through could tear the world to pieces

Who did the Falklands belong to before the British claimed it?

Oh FFS! If you're going to engage in debate, don't use unintelligible, specious 'arguments' (although that does the word a disservice)

the falklands are a soveriegn territory. Where they are today, they have the inherent right to self determination. Regardless of what happened 200 years ago.

They CHOSE to remain as they are. Even the few argies that live there do NOT want change. We dont force that, we dont demand that. That is for them to decide.

we should celebrate such freedom, not tell them to go fuk themselves as 250 years ago, people we never met broke ethical boundaries that exist today.

like I said, this argument about the FI could be had about most bits of land on earth. why not let a peaceful community be

I think stan was more insulting when he was asked what should happen to British people living in an independent Ireland. His response was f**k off back to Britain. Surely that's not an acceptable comment.

I wasn't impressed. If I was to suggest that a section of the community "F*ck off back to where they came from" I'd be, quite rightly, labelled a bigot.

The exact tweet was :

"What happens to the British people in Northern Ireland Stan > **** OFF BACK TO BRITAIN"

Ah, those indigenous, long-standing residents of the islands.

Veering slightly off course methinks.

Jamie was asking about the history of occupancy of the Falklands because he can't be arsed to research for himself. He then suggested, for some obscure reason, that we should fight the Spanish and French!

Veering slightly off course methinks.

Jamie was asking about the history of occupancy of the Falklands because he can't be arsed to research for himself. He then suggested, for some obscure reason, that we should fight the Spanish and French!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that wasn't serious.

I wasn't impressed. If I was to suggest that a section of the community "F*ck off back to where they came from" I'd be, quite rightly, labelled a bigot.

The exact tweet was :

"What happens to the British people in Northern Ireland Stan > **** OFF BACK TO BRITAIN"

I'd suggest that those who see themselves as British in NI wouldn't want to be part of a free Ireland, as it would then mean they live in Ireland. They'd probably want to come back to Britain in that instance.

Collymore? Isn't that the guy who swore he'd never use twitter and even made talk sport refuse to acknowledge it till they sorted out their bullying policy. I assume it has changed now then. I must have missed the big announcement.

What on earth is his objection ? Oh, along the lines of "I don't need no twitter to bully no one , I just batters Ulrika myself..."