The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

Apparently it tops out at 33% after a stretch at 28%.

No wonder it was so bloody tough!

Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked it up on Strava and Streetmap. Looks like a spiteful little beast. Ideal training for your Belgian sorties? Staffs version of the Koppenberg!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I've had some tubeless tyres for the last 6-8 weeks or so, but not impressed! Front wheel is fine but the back wheel is a liability! I've counted 8 times now when I've heard the 'hissing' from the back as another puncture occurs. Fortunately the sealing liquid inside has done its job and the hissing soon stops as the puncture is repaired but it's only a matter of time before one doesn't fix itself and I'm left roadside with a notoriously difficult tyre to remove to put an inner tube inside to get home!

The tyre must be pretty thin to have so many punctures and with about 700 miles of use it's about to be changed to a new tyre with an inner tube!

Schwalbe Pro One - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-pro-one-evo-microskin-tl-easy-folding-road-tyre/

Chose them because they were supposed to provide excellent cut / puncture resistance. I've counted over 30 cuts on the rear tyre....

My neighbour's started using them also. He's not ridden too often on them often. When he returns from his hols I'll ask him how they're wearing.

• 1 month later...

Little....black....sodding....flies!!

Anyone else suffering with these little beasties or is there just a plague of them in my area? I'm assuming their abundance is down to the amount of cow s_hite all over the roads at the moment and the warmer weather.

Trouble is, they get absolutely everywhere! About twenty odd in my helmet today - probably not so bad if you've got hair but if your head is as bald as a choirboys ball bag like mine is, then the pesky little flies can be felt everytime they get in! Not only that but when I took my shirt off there were another 30 odd that had got in there, not to mention those stuck to my legs!

So, is everyone suffering with these or are they just a problem in the South West?

Little....black....sodding....flies!!

Anyone else suffering with these little beasties or is there just a plague of them in my area? I'm assuming their abundance is down to the amount of cow s_hite all over the roads at the moment and the warmer weather.

Trouble is, they get absolutely everywhere! About twenty odd in my helmet today - probably not so bad if you've got hair but if your head is as bald as a choirboys ball bag like mine is, then the pesky little flies can be felt everytime they get in! Not only that but when I took my shirt off there were another 30 odd that had got in there, not to mention those stuck to my legs!

So, is everyone suffering with these or are they just a problem in the South West?

None here I have to say! Roads very dry and not many cows!

Have a nice weekend cycling all - nothing for me this weekend as I had a cyst removed from my head on Wednesday and have five stitches that need to be kept dry :(

Having looked at the weather forecast for the weekend it may be a blessing in disguise with winds of 25-30mph gusting to 45-50mph! That's easily a 2-3 cog wind!

Have a nice weekend cycling all - nothing for me this weekend as I had a cyst removed from my head on Wednesday and have five stitches that need to be kept dry :(

Having looked at the weather forecast for the weekend it may be a blessing in disguise with winds of 25-30mph gusting to 45-50mph! That's easily a 2-3 cog wind!

Good weekend to have off. Not doing much bike stuff myself. Due a bit of a break. Take care and heal well!

• 2 months later...

Time to bump this. As we end 2017 what have been the best and worst bits of your cycling year, and what are you looking forward to/planning for in 2018. For me the highs and lows were both in France in June. A beautiful ride up and down the Col d'Ornon followed a couple of days later by the ascent up Alpe d'Huez. Sandwiched between was an epic fail on the Glandon/Croix de Fer. As much in the mind as in the body. My main 2018 target is the Etape Wales aka Dragon Ride in June with the Wiggle New Forest Spring Sportive thrown in as part of the prep for that

I've had a great year considering I didn't get back on the bike until Feb' 1st and had to work my nuts off to get my fitness back.

Highlights for me was doing Amstel Gold with my wingman (The WAGS rode too but not with us) and Chase The Sun. The later was tempered somewhat by some of my fellow clubmates who weren't quite as mentally strong as they needed to be. Did a couple of trips to Belgium to get my Flanders fix and watched Sagan win a couple of stages of a pro-race in Holland and Belgium. Mallorca was also excellent and was perfect to aid recovery and I'll be going back in 2019 as Easter is nice and late. As it stands today I'm just shy of 13,000km/120,000m clocked up with 28 centuries with 2 double centuries in there too.

2018 offers a lot. Gent-Wevelgem in early March (220km), Amstel again in April (200km), Italian Dolomites at May 1/2 term when I'm going to attempt all the ascents of Monte De Grappa and a week in The Alps in July with a local club. I've recently changed riding clubs so intend to do some racing in their colours come the summer.

Firstly, Chapeau to Dave this year, your figures have improved immensely since Feb and it must have been bloody hard work to get the fitness back!!!

Lows for me this year were breaking my arm on 2nd January having hit some black ice! Also suffering with incredibly sore knees for the majority of the year. One MRI scan later and I'm finally booked in for physio in the new year as they think it might be a hamstring issue causing the knee pain - odd how the human body works! I've also adjusted my seat up about 1cm so now put more strain through the muscles above the knee and reducing the knee pain...

Highs for me were breaking a lot of my PBs in the area and getting two top tens, as well as getting a lot more climbing under my belt! Also joining the gym and getting a lot of core strength and a little bit of toning on my upper body!

Looking forward to just having fun on the bike in 2018 - power meter [4iii] turning up tomorrow so will give me some more focus in my training and hopefully help me climb better! Also looking to plan a weekend with the folks in Lee-on-Solent where I can shoot off and ride round the Isle of Wight...

Was putting a ton of miles in until I, for some bizarre reason, decided to do a marathon. AFter that my mileage fell through the floor.

Will be combining running with cycling more evenly in 2018 and have a mega trip planned to the Rockies in July with some friends to celebrate my 50th. Ton of climbing for that trip and plan on doing the 30 mile climb from Idaho SPrings to the summit of Mount Evans.

Wishing everyone a great New Year!

30 mile climb! Mental!

I saw someone moaning on Strava about wet and cold feet ;)

Mrs WSS bought me a pair of these [ https://www.endurasport.com/product/road-overshoe/ ] for Xmas to replace the crap ones I had, they work very well especially combined with the sealskinz socks she got me :) [ https://www.sealskinz.com/socks/activity-sock-black.htm ]. Very dry and warm feet even when the temp was around 2-3 degrees :)

• 2 weeks later...
First ride of the year today - you know it's a chilly ride when you are wearing more layers (3) than there are degrees C on the thermometer (2).

Jeez it was cold. Fair play to VTTP for his 140km in those temps. Just goes to prove there are few excuses if you get the right kit on.

• 1 month later...

Meh!

Sore knees for the last couple of weeks - apparently I've got 'angry knees'! Had a couple of weeks off and they are getting better.

Took the time today to strip the rear hub on my Ultegra wheels - what a mess! I guess the 'weather' seals haven't been particularly weather proof! Watched a video on how to do it and it took ten minutes in that, took me the best part of three hours! I did strip the rear cassette, cleaned that and changed the winter / summer bike wheels which I had previously swapped at the same time!

Hoping to get a weekend's riding in next week before having another cyst removed from my head the following week, which will mean 3 or 4 stitches and another weekend off! Fingers crossed it won't still be in the minus figures by the end of the week!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
First run out on the summer bike this morning - didn't realise how much I missed the Di2 and seamless gear changes :D

Was wetter than expected so I've now got two bikes to strip and wash, both covered in dirt and grit, joy!

Mine comes out as soon as they start racing in Flanders. After a long winter on an alu bike with a pro-compact and a small cassette it's nice to be able to fly up hills!

Looking forward to Wiggle New Forest Ride this weekend. 130Km on what is essentially a home fixture. Hoping natives and visiting cyclists get it right! This is the route for those moving around the Forest this weekend. Note it's both Saturday and Sunday. At least that Tory tw*t Lewis doesn't seem to have put his oar in this time. Anyone on here doing it from short to epic, safe riding! Oh and in reference to the above post Sir Velo is in line for an airing! Arnold (Ridley) is dirty and needs a service.

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-new-forest-spring-sportive/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, not riding much these days due to work, but can anyone explain the current trend of wearing all black clothing? I drive a lot in the countryside in the Meon Valley, Winchester and Test Valley and have noticed club rides at the weekends and solo riders wearing black kit, with no lights (i know its the summer, but under the trees cyclists disappear without lights, front and back). Being a motorcyclist i'm cautious and have good observational skills but i've had close calls on a few occasions (fault sometimes mine).

If its a trend then its Darwinian in its approach to safety.

So, not riding much these days due to work, but can anyone explain the current trend of wearing all black clothing? I drive a lot in the countryside in the Meon Valley, Winchester and Test Valley and have noticed club rides at the weekends and solo riders wearing black kit, with no lights (i know its the summer, but under the trees cyclists disappear without lights, front and back). Being a motorcyclist i'm cautious and have good observational skills but i've had close calls on a few occasions (fault sometimes mine).

If its a trend then its Darwinian in its approach to safety.

A lot of it is 'fashion', such as SKY fan-boys wearing the black kit with the blue stripe up the back. Personally I always wear predominatly white or brightly coloured tops, such as the old Mapei 'cube' design, plus my bikes are light colours - no excuse for a 'SMIDSY'.

• 1 month later...

Nice leisurely ride over the old Severn bridge and on to Newport this afternoon to watch the run in of day 1 of the TOB (Belmont Hill)

Then a test of the new winter bike on Tuesday stopping half way up Cheddar to watch Day 3 - May even head on over to Chew afterwards as they head back towards Bristol.

Gone for an Alloy frame - with eyelets for full mudguards! - and hydraulic disc brakes. Fitted out with 105 gearset and 28mm conti tyres, should be reliable and comfortable over the winter!

Old winter bike is going to be recycled - frame is too small for me and bought when I knew not a great deal about frame sizing - and turned into a summer bike for the Mrs....

• 7 months later...

Not sure if anyone is keen on the 'team shirts' (I have a feeling VFTT won't be, considering he only ever wears black ;) ) but this vendor on Amazon sells very good shirts - not sure if they are replica (if so, they are very good) or whether they are made in the same factory as the team shirts??? They are very good quality. I bought a BMC one for £23 that I've worn and washed several times with no loss of colour and no change in size or shape....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=merchant-items&me=AHNU9UPORWSML&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&qid=1556648625&ref=sr_pg_1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 13/07/2020 at 08:17, badgerx16 said:

Yes. My 3 road bikes, my wife's hybrid and e-bike shopper, my younger son's road bike and MTB, 2 dis-assembled road bikes hung on the walls, and my Son-in-law's MTB which we are storing whilst they have building work done.

That’s pretty impressive. Thought my garage was crowded with three road bikes one on a smart trainer which takes up a fair bit of room and the girly share bike my wife and daughter don’t use even though it was fettled last weekend.

On 12/05/2020 at 16:25, Weston Super Saint said:

Looks like it from his Strava post - 6 cracked rear ribs, couple of front ribs, cracked sternum, multiple fractures in shoulder and a small dislocation - back home from hospital but pretty sore I guess!!

I'm guessing the bike is not in a good way either!

Bike has been repaired and resprayed in a new livery and I'm back to banging the miles out, albeit a wee bit slower than pre-crash.

Insurance paid out for the bike and kit and I'm just awaiting a settlement from the OAP in his SUV who decided overtaking parked cars, taking up my lane, on a downhill bend, was a great idea.

Still sore in the shoulder and the collapsed lung and ribs are still getting used to being fully expanded again.

Heading into The Peaks tomorrow to test the stamina over the Cat & Fiddle which is always a good indication. I reckon I'm 15% down on pre-crash fitness/power.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, View From The Top said:

Bike has been repaired and resprayed in a new livery and I'm back to banging the miles out, albeit a wee bit slower than pre-crash.

Insurance paid out for the bike and kit and I'm just awaiting a settlement from the OAP in his SUV who decided overtaking parked cars, taking up my lane, on a downhill bend, was a great idea.

Still sore in the shoulder and the collapsed lung and ribs are still getting used to being fully expanded again.

Heading into The Peaks tomorrow to test the stamina over the Cat & Fiddle which is always a good indication. I reckon I'm 15% down on pre-crash fitness/power.

spacer.png

Great stuff VFTT. Welcome back to the road.

On 22/07/2020 at 17:40, View From The Top said:

Getting a new saddle set up just right is, quite literally, a pain in the arse.

Never had a problem with with a sore arse - well up to three hours is fine anyway!  My biggest issue has been protecting my dodgy knees.  I think / hope I've cracked it now with a spacing of 79cm from the centre of the bottom brcket to the top of the seat.  Been set up like that for two weeks now on the summer and winter bikes (winter bike has been in demand throughout July!) and so far so good!