Hampshire CCC 2018 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

Any idea on who is out of contract next year? Both ins (from other counties that we can nap) and outs.

IMO we need replacements for Adams, Alsop, Ervine and White!

Should have Rossouw back, which even though he wasn't great this year, is a plus.

Think we are probably a fast bowler short as well as I'm not sure Topley is good enough for red ball cricket.

1. New

2. New

3. Rossouw

4. Vince

5. Bailey

6. Dawson

7. McManus

8. Berg

9. Abbott

10. Crane

11. New (Fast bowler, if not stick with Edwards, assuming he'll be back?)

Any idea on who is out of contract next year? Both ins (from other counties that we can nap) and outs.

Should have Rossouw back, which even though he wasn't great this year, is a plus.

Think we are probably a fast bowler short as well as I'm not sure Topley is good enough for red ball cricket.

1. New

2. New

3. Rossouw

4. Vince

5. Bailey

6. Dawson

7. McManus

8. Berg

9. Abbott

10. Crane

I agree with a substantial amount of your post but I think Alsop deserves a further chance as he gives an extra option as a WKTKEPPER but I think Adams Weatherley and Carberry are now not good enough for Div 1 .

Holland I think has potential and may provide a replacement for Ervine.

But we need as you say two openers and a fast bowler.

I have only seen two days cricket watching Hampshire but was not impressed with Bailey as Captain has any regular watcher any comments about Bailey because I may well be wrong.

PS if Vince is a success in the Ashes we may well be ****ed

I think Holland

1. New

2. New

3. Rossouw

4. Vince

5. Bailey

6. Dawson

7. McManus

8. Berg

9. Abbott

10. Crane

Blimey, there really is some great servants past their prime to go (Carberry already is, to Leics; Adams; Ervine) and some that have never looked like doing it (Topley, who I'd forgotten about, and Stevenson, which was a great story sadly). I said on here that Giles White needed to sort out some compromise agreements to free up some cash for quality in the side and he failed (again). Needs to go now and Rod needs to be ruthless. Agaes Bowl run as a business off the pitch, time to be far more professional on it. Rod can't be happy after splashing out on Roussow, Bailey and Abbott (not cheap I bet).

The academy has to be a concern; had a good few years with Briggs, Wood and others through but only Crane of late. Alsop I'd give time as there's something there to but Weatherley looks D2 squad player.

Fidel had a decent campaign but 36 next year - invest there or in younger legs? Might have kept him if we went down.

Craig White? Fantastic opening win at Yorks which kept us up but alarming batting collapses in all formats considering the investment there. What length of contract is he on? If we can afford it, make a change there as well. Need some energy and freshness, not an experienced face like Benkenstein who I got the impression wasn't totally sold on being at Hants.

Alsop is worth persevering with. He had a decent season in 2016 and when recalled at the end of this season had to keep wicket (keeping generally looked pretty good) and bat top 3 which isn't ideal. Too soon to write Weatherley off as he's only 20, it can take players a long time to establish themselves in county cricket. Felix Organ is meant to be very good but is still only 18.

If Ervine and Adams are out of contract it's probably time for them to go unfortunately after very good careers with us. However we could be left with a very small squad if there aren't any replacements lined up! Looking through the averages in Division One and Division Two there don't look to be many top quality batsmen knocking about. It doesn't help that so many matches are played in April and September when the conditions aren't great for batting.

I'd give Edwards another year after his finish to this season. I can't see Topley getting fit enough to play four day cricket unfortunately. Wheal has done reasonably well the few times he played this season but there seems to be no home grown youngsters coming through at all. They could do worse than looking at club cricket/minor counties players as some other counties have done, we did it with Ryan Stevenson but unfortunately he is always injured.

I'd definite give Holland more time, looked handy at the end of the season, Alsop obviously has potential but letting him open probably isn't doing him any favours. We definitely need to finish with these O/1 and 15/2 situations. Get in at least one stick in the mud opener and we'll not be a bad side at all. You know the Boycott/Cook sort of bloke, takes all morning to make 30 but he's still there at lunch, wearing down the bowlers.

I'd definite give Holland more time, looked handy at the end of the season, Alsop obviously has potential but letting him open probably isn't doing him any favours. We definitely need to finish with these O/1 and 15/2 situations. Get in at least one stick in the mud opener and we'll not be a bad side at all. You know the Boycott/Cook sort of bloke, takes all morning to make 30 but he's still there at lunch, wearing down the bowlers.

Yep I imagine someone who is similar to two of England's top five ever openers might help!. If only Saints could find a Shearer/Greaves sort of bloke.

Worth noting that Ian Holland was second in both batting and bowling averages this year.

There are a few glaring statistics that stand out looking at our season:

1. Our highest batting average is 38.12 (Bailey)

2. We registered only seven centuries in 14 matches (Bailey, Vince and Adams with 2 apiece, Ervine with the other)

3. Five bowlers averaged less than 27 runs per wicket (Abbott, Holland, Edwards, Dawson, Berg)

• 4 weeks later...
Worth noting that Ian Holland was second in both batting and bowling averages this year.

There are a few glaring statistics that stand out looking at our season:

1. Our highest batting average is 38.12 (Bailey)

2. We registered only seven centuries in 14 matches (Bailey, Vince and Adams with 2 apiece, Ervine with the other)

3. Five bowlers averaged less than 27 runs per wicket (Abbott, Holland, Edwards, Dawson, Berg)

I see that Holland has now been signed up for 2 more years. Good move, his contributions were pretty valuable towards the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Seems like Sam Northeast could be on his way to Hants. Would be a very tidy signing.

George Bailey unlikely to return for year 2 of his contract. Overseas options being assessee but if they get Northeast it might not be a batter.

Wonder what would happen re captaincy with Vince availability uncertain. Dawson?

Seems like Sam Northeast could be on his way to Hants. Would be a very tidy signing.

George Bailey unlikely to return for year 2 of his contract. Overseas options being assessee but if they get Northeast it might not be a batter.

Wonder what would happen re captaincy with Vince availability uncertain. Dawson?

Vince test selection you mean ? Not sure that we need to worry a great deal about that. Unless he has a fantastic series in New Zealand that is. Pity about Bailey if that's the case.

Both of those now confirmed, with Northeast likely to lead the 4 day team.

I guess we must now be looking at a replacement overseas batsman, ideally an opener

Both of those now confirmed, with Northeast likely to lead the 4 day team.

I guess we must now be looking at a replacement overseas batsman, ideally an opener

Reece Topley's Dad mentioned that Martin Guptil would be a great signing across all formats. Sounded like a suggestion rather than anything ITK.

NZ don't play many tests, but Im not sure if he has been picked up by an IPL team. If not, its a great shout.

Hanta havent been doing well in the Caribbean. Think Alsop has about 5 runs in his last 6 innings or something horrendous like that.

Definitely need an opener. If we get one then on paper it looks a strong side.

Morne Morkel set to retire from international cricket - No doubt will be coming to England as a Kolpak player.

I wonder if we would be interested in him? (is there a limit on Kolpak's??). I'd say an opening batsman should be the priority but I do think we are a bit thin on bowlers, especially one of Morkel's ability.

Morne Morkel set to retire from international cricket - No doubt will be coming to England as a Kolpak player.

I wonder if we would be interested in him? (is there a limit on Kolpak's??). I'd say an opening batsman should be the priority but I do think we are a bit thin on bowlers, especially one of Morkel's ability.

I reckon Morkel will go elsewhere.

Topley has signed a white ball only contract, as an injury prevention mechanism, which seems to make a lot of sense.

That said, are we a bowler light?

Championship bowlers (spinners aside) will be: Abbott, Edwards, Berg, Wheal, Holland and then whatever there is in the 2nd XI I guess?

I see that we're supposed to have 2x 2 day friendlies against Sussex this week. Any play so far?

Edit: Right, found it on the Sussex site. Hants made 127/6 from the agreed 45 overs and Sussex were 200 odd for 4 despite being 9 for 3 at one point.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Dale Steyn could be coming in June. Good signing if he's fit enough.

That would be fun.

Start of the season could be a bit of a farce. Lots of players being flown in last minute, very little warm up experience for those who have stayed here. At least most other counties are in the same boat

First game coming up then. Surely the best batting line up they've had to select from in decades. Serious international talent throughout the side. How we lining up?

Adams

Rousseuw

Amla

Vince

Northeast

Dawson

Ervine

McManus

Berg

Abbott

Edwards

Holland might play for Ervine to give more bowling options?

First game coming up then. Surely the best batting line up they've had to select from in decades. Serious international talent throughout the side. How we lining up?

Adams

Rousseuw

Amla

Vince

Northeast

Dawson

Ervine

McManus

Berg

Abbott

Edwards

Holland might play for Ervine to give more bowling options?

I wonder if, in the absence of Crane, Ervine will play as a second spinner. Was used as a spin bowler early part of last season.

On paper looks a great side.