Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Hampshire CCC 2020 Season thread.

  1. #1

    Default Hampshire CCC 2020 Season thread.

    Overseas player to be announced today!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,578

    Default

    I predict Nathan Lyon will be the man.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint in Paradise View Post
    I predict Nathan Lyon will be the man.
    Yes as expected. I'm no expert, but wouldn't a top order batsman have been a better choice?

  4. #4

    Default

    Fixtures are out:
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/50549193
    A reshuffle in 2019 saw three teams promoted from the second tier of the County Championship and one relegated from Division One, meaning 10 sides will compete in Division One and eight in Division Two in 2020.

    All counties will still play 14 games in total, with some fixtures in Division One only taking place once.
    What a joke. Hants only play Lancs, Northants, Essex and Surrey once. An amateurish way to run a professional sport.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,355
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Fixtures are out:
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/50549193

    What a joke. Hants only play Lancs, Northants, Essex and Surrey once. An amateurish way to run a professional sport.
    Wtf? How is that fair?

  6. #6

    Default

    It was completely normal in cricket throughout the 70/80's t0 play one team once and another team twice. It's always been one of those weird things in cricket. In 1973 when we won the championship there were 17 teams in a single division & Hampshire played 20 games. In 1986 when we came 2nd there were 17 teams in a single division and we played 24 games. In my first season of watching 1979 Hampshire played 21 games in a 17 team division. It's all part of the weird charm of cricket, that's why Americans don't understand it.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wadesmith View Post
    It was completely normal in cricket throughout the 70/80's t0 play one team once and another team twice. It's always been one of those weird things in cricket. In 1973 when we won the championship there were 17 teams in a single division & Hampshire played 20 games. In 1986 when we came 2nd there were 17 teams in a single division and we played 24 games. In my first season of watching 1979 Hampshire played 21 games in a 17 team division. It's all part of the weird charm of cricket, that's why Americans don't understand it.
    I'm British and I don't understand why they can't play 18 matches.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    I'm British and I don't understand why they can't play 18 matches.
    Doesn't change my point though. Cricket historically played teams an uneven amount of times.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wadesmith View Post
    Doesn't change my point though. Cricket historically played teams an uneven amount of times.
    Amateurish then doesn't mean having to go back to being amateurish now. Back then it was even worse, 0 points for both teams if a match was abandoned without a ball being bowled (cost Hants the championship). That stupidity was rectified. And when the league was split they had a balanced schedule, so an uneven schedule was ended too. Why go back to it, especially now we have relegation. Imagine last season one team playing Essex and Somerset only once and Notts twice, and another team having it the other way around.

    Yes Div 2 had an unbalanced schedule when they had 10 teams, but there is no relegation so it was not quite as bad. Still, it should've been balanced too.
    Last edited by Dark Munster; 28-11-2019 at 05:22 PM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Amateurish then doesn't mean having to go back to being amateurish now. Back then it was even worse, 0 points for both teams if a match was abandoned without a ball being bowled (cost Hants the championship). That stupidity was rectified. And when the league was split they had a balanced schedule, so an uneven schedule was ended too. Why go back to it, especially now we have relegation. Imagine last season one team playing Essex and Somerset only once and Notts twice, and another team having it the other way around.

    Yes Div 2 had an unbalanced schedule when they had 10 teams, but there is no relegation so it was not quite as bad. Still, it should've been balanced too.
    I loved it back then. Amateurism & all.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near Exeter
    Posts
    4,671

    Default

    Donald has done his ACL presumably in winter training and out for the whole of 2020.

    Why are there so many ACL injuries in sport these days? Footwear? Running styles?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    8,884

    Default

    Ex Hampshire opener Gordon Greenidge receives a knighthood

  13. #13

    Default

    Struck me today, with Abbott probably at the last year of the peak of his powers & Nathan Lyons contract (for this season at least) cancelled, this might have been our best chance of winning the championship. It's the only trophy i've never watched Hampshire win.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wadesmith View Post
    Struck me today, with Abbott probably at the last year of the peak of his powers & Nathan Lyons contract (for this season at least) cancelled, this might have been our best chance of winning the championship. It's the only trophy i've never watched Hampshire win.

    Batting would have probably been far too weak to win the CC. Unless of course we've signed a couple when I wasn't paying attention, which has been most of the winter really.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •