Micky Channon top scorer ever?

MLT did he ever score a normal goal?

Ron Davies most goals in 1 season?

Bobby Stokes FA cup hero?

Terry Paine 1st top flight goal?

Charlie Wayman war time forward?

Or the mega prolific Franny & Claus?

Or an unmentioned?

My personal vote would go to MLT partly for the number of times he finished as our top scorer but also for the sheer pleasure and enjoyment he gave to all Saints fans with his genius. Don`t forget KK and Steve Moran. For a couple of seasons Steve was on fire.

Big Ron...there wasn't a bad centre back in the league back then. England were World champs and even the Scots were outstanding. Whether playing along side Big Chiv or Windmill Mickey - with Elvis And Sydy supplying the crosses we were the most feared attack of all and he was the most feared striker!

Tizz was Awesome also.

Another generation linked question I guess, but even then.. Stokes must've been quite something to have been considered better than the truly awesome Le Tissier. Everyone has their favourites upon growing up, once a generation there will be a player that everyone remembers as one of the greatest - and I'm truly blessed to have been the right age to have witnessed Le Tissiers entire career, to have seen its fledgling steps as a young lad, all the way to that last goal at the Dell. Just.. unbelievable.

I mean, come on. Legend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUt5CQPyWzs

:D

Another generation linked question I guess, but even then.. Stokes must've been quite something to have been considered better than the truly awesome Le Tissier. Everyone has their favourites upon growing up, once a generation there will be a player that everyone remembers as one of the greatest - and I'm truly blessed to have been the right age to have witnessed Le Tissiers entire career, to have seen its fledgling steps as a young lad, all the way to that last goal at the Dell. Just.. unbelievable.

I mean, come on. Legend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUt5CQPyWzs

:D

Thanks so much for posting that link, quality!!

Although I was only a very young boy, I saw the last few games of Derek Reeves time at The Dell. Still holds the record I think for goals in one season, 44 in 1959-60.

Would have loved to have seen Derek Reeves scoring goals. I was lucky enough to see practically all of the great strikers at Saints when they were in the top flight. They were all excellent in their own way. Just to be contrary, I'll add Ted MacDougall. ;)

How about Steve Moran... fantastic goal scorer until the Skates beat him up at a night club. Think he got 99 goals just under 200 league and cup matches.

Rates alongside Channon, Matt Le Tiss, Big Ron and Phil Boyer

and he scored THAT goal at Fratton in the cup!! :smt048

because..after MLT he was the only player to score over 20 goals in the prem.....

add that to the likes of keegan channon and the others and it stands up quite well

Yeah, I think Beattie deserves a place in a list of greatest Saints strikers. He did his bit. I could point to some excellent work and goals from Beattie. He's certainly not the best, but he's up there. He's never remotely been as good before or since.

Yeah, I think Beattie deserves a place in a list of greatest Saints strikers. He did his bit. I could point to some excellent work and goals from Beattie. He's certainly not the best, but he's up there. He's never remotely been as good before or since.

agree with that..and for £1m he did more than I ever thought he coulc achieve...

Oh, so you were one of those idiots who booed him then.

It's a good job you are not your Lord and Master's accountant. 2 + 2 = 5

Feel free to carry on trolling....

Difficult to see past the like of Ron Davies, Terry Paine, Mick Channon and MLT for me. Beattie did his bit but to include him in the 'greatest' alongside the above? Sorry, not for me.

I say Steve Moran purely from a nostalgic point of view, I remember hi in my childhood years. But how any of you could wonder why James Beattie deserves a mebtion is beyond me. Under Strachan he was awesome, and was the top ENGLISH striker in the Prem at one point. James Beattie did us proud, I dont blame him for leaving when he did, his leaving was a product of our success (although followed quickly by failiure)

Will always have fond memories of Beatts. People on here seem to love players who gave there all, but always came short on quality. Beattie always gave his all, but was f**king good to boot.

Having said that, I don't think he is quite in the same league as Davies, Moran, Channon, MLT, Shearer etc.

Will always have fond memories of Beatts. People on here seem to love players who gave there all, but always came short on quality. Beattie always gave his all, but was f**king good to boot.

Having said that, I don't think he is quite in the same league as Davies, Moran, Channon, MLT, Shearer etc.

agree with that totally...

beattie was up there that season with the likes of van nistelrooy and thierry henry etc...

3 goals against the Skates. Not a massive total, but has any Saint actually scored more?

I know of one each for Pahars, Dodd, Phillips, Blackstock, Oakley, Crouch, Moran and Camara.

Tbf, Arizona, not many Saints strikers have had the chance to score loads of goals against Pompey. Chiefly, after the 1950's, and before recently, they've always been in a lower division.

For reasons I posted elsewhere, my heart drifts towards Mick Channon.

However, is it not true that the answer to the question "With whom did Kevin Keegan score the most goals in a season" . . . is not Liverpool, Newcastle or Bayern Munich . . . but actually the Saints?

Worth considering ?

Englesaint: However, is it not true that the answer to the question "With whom did Kevin Keegan score the most goals in a season" . . . is not Liverpool, Newcastle or Bayern Munich . . . but actually the Saints?

Worth considering ?

Next to one Steve Moran help KK maybe???

Englesaint: However, is it not true that the answer to the question "With whom did Kevin Keegan score the most goals in a season" . . . is not Liverpool, Newcastle or Bayern Munich . . . but actually the Saints?

Worth considering ?

ITR. Couldn't agree more.

On the old forum a number of us posted about playing with and against Steve Moran before he signed for Saints. Great player.

Worth considering ?

Especially as KK never played for Bayern Munich. He played a couple of miles up the road though, a place called Hamburg.

I saw Derek Reeves, that's when it all started for me, through Paine, Davies, Channon, Chivers, Boyer, Le Tissier - all greats to me, but top of the lot was Micky Channon. I enjoyed seeing the mention above of Ted MacDougall, who I thought was incredible. How often at the Dell would you see a goal scored from amongst a goalmouth scramble, and who would come out with his arm in the air - MacDougall! Time after time. And the incredible thing was that despite an amazing scoring record, he appeared a crap footballer - I've seen milk turn quicker, and he would have had trouble trapping a bag of cement in the outfield, but put him in that box and he was magic. Happy days!

Especially as KK never played for Bayern Munich. He played a couple of miles up the road though, a place called Hamburg.

Thanks for putting me in my place - I stand corrected, but it's late and been a long week.

Point remains . . the twice European Footballer of the Year had his most prolific season (goals wise) whilst at the Dell.

Steve Moran for me, always, just ahead of KK and then Danny Wallace - but probably giving my age and era away!!

Guess which single football club had both The Football Of The Year and The Young Footballer Of The Year in the same season..? And who were the players..?

I know you'll know LGSC. But let's see if the post-Dell fans know. Oh, and here's a clue. You don't get to be awarded one of those titles without being an outstanding footballer, even if only for one season.

I saw Derek Reeves, that's when it all started for me, through Paine, Davies, Channon, Chivers, Boyer, Le Tissier - all greats to me, but top of the lot was Micky Channon. I enjoyed seeing the mention above of Ted MacDougall, who I thought was incredible. How often at the Dell would you see a goal scored from amongst a goalmouth scramble, and who would come out with his arm in the air - MacDougall! Time after time. And the incredible thing was that despite an amazing scoring record, he appeared a crap footballer - I've seen milk turn quicker, and he would have had trouble trapping a bag of cement in the outfield, but put him in that box and he was magic. Happy days!

I couldn't say it better myself although I have never seen MLT in play live, only on TV :D

Surprised George O'brien has not been mentioned No 5 goalscorer for the club. Cracking inside forward who scored goals for fun. Terry Paine could always seem to find him.

at last someone has got around to mentioning wee george o'brien, he was magic!

I liked Beattie when he was with us but for us oldies :-) I don't think he comes remotely near the 'greats' like Ron Davies, Mick Channon, Phil Boyer, KK, MLT,or Steve Moran.....

....for me it's probably got to be big Ron because he was the first, but all the above gave great enjoyment over the years. Nothing has been quite the same since.