Killer!

simo

I think we just need face face up to the reality that Killer is getting on a bit and, whilst he is still good, will never be the player he was in the Prem again.

Still our best centre half IMO, but today he was found wanting in the air and in pace.

He looked at least two yards off the pace.

It didn't help with the line playing so high, as he had even further to run and lose ground.

he looked two miles off the pace. whats worse,he had the turning circle of an aircraft carrier,got beaten to every ball in the air,aswell as being totally out of positional awarness.

his pace is non-existant and on evidence of this game,I`d play Cork and Thomas over him any & every day of the week !

I know he`s coming back n`stuff,but if it is match-practise he needs...well,let him have it in the reserves,for God`s sake.

and this wasnt a one-off either. he has looked shaky in our other matches,and Perry and/or Davis have bailed him out on many occations.

five games for the reserves is what he need,to become a shadow of the player he once was IMO.

I hate to say it but we will miss Davies this year and before anyone pipes up and says he wanted to go he didn't. His brother who plays cricket for Durham was telling people at the Hants match in Basingstoke this week that AD was settled and had even moved his girlfriend down here.

I was shocked at how bad Svensson looked today.

I think we just need face face up to the reality that Killer is getting on a bit and, whilst he is still good, will never be the player he was in the Prem again.

Still our best centre half IMO, but today he was found wanting in the air and in pace.

Not 100% sure on that for the moment. Against Brum at home he suffered with the goals scored. Blackpool played a 5 man midfield that pressed and harried our players and the central defenders were not up to stepping up to the mark, if someone broke through. Our midfield were not up to it today, but I put that down to a combination of Tuesday and the defence.

We are going to have to get used to this as most teams will be looking at doing something similar. Grayson thought he had a fair chance against us from what he saw on Tuesday, so others will be picking up on it quick enough. Cork and Thomas would have been a far better pairing for what was required, Thomas looking after the c/f and Cork plugging the holes, all so very easy to see after the game.

I thought he was off the pace today. It seemed like he was always second to the ball. This being the first match that I have seen this season it is hard to judge but felt that something was lacking in him. Will wait to see him play a few more games before I write him off tho.

he looked two miles off the pace. whats worse,he had the turning circle of an aircraft carrier,got beaten to every ball in the air,aswell as being totally out of positional awarness.

his pace is non-existant and on evidence of this game,I`d play Cork and Thomas over him any & every day of the week !

I know he`s coming back n`stuff,but if it is match-practise he needs...well,let him have it in the reserves,for God`s sake.

and this wasnt a one-off either. he has looked shaky in our other matches,and Perry and/or Davis have bailed him out on many occations.

five games for the reserves is what he need,to become a shadow of the player he once was IMO.

sums uo svensson perfectly IMO. No pace, Immobile and his timing was as rusty as it gets. I fear for him. Thomas looks a better option for me, he got better as the gamewent on against Brum.

cork has to play be it RB or CB.

Whilst I agree he wasn't great today, I think a lot of centrebacks will struggle aganst Burgess... he used his height and strength to good effect today and he is a major threat. As usual, and with respect, there seem to be too many judgements made based on one game.

I think if he wasnt the captain he would have been replaced at half time by Cork. he is usually good in the air and wins most balls into the box but today was out jumped time and time again. several last ditch tackles in the box were the result of killer not dealing with the ball in front of the box.

killer being the man he is will probably realise this and I think his knee will be up for a a real test in the next 2 weeks as he will push himself harder than ever to make sure he is more effective next match.

On form he would be 1st on my team sheet but today he wasnt at the races and I would have been happy to see him replaced.

THINK or Hope ?

May not even be a question of a challenge, to be frank (and I only saw the justin feed) it looked to me if Killer is firked,the two week break might see him

a little more mobile next game but I think the experiment is close to it's end.

Perry is too small and too slow to cover him,hence we have inexperienced players covering in defence (they're attackers or midfielders ) and it's a right mess, anyone can just play Route 1 against us and our superb system goes out of the window.Until we get something done about those 2 old carthorses in our defence the total football will be wasted.

I'm glad to see i'm not the only one that thought Svensson was ****ing woeful today.

Criticising the man has lately been viewed as sacrilige by many fans and whilst i have nothing against the man as a person whatsoever and love him like we all do - he really did have a dreadful game.

Aside from his positioning being poor he was beaten far far too easily and was caught flat-footed far too many times.

Steve Kabba ran rings around him and really deserved a goal for his efforts, it was only thanks to his lack of finishing that spared our blushes.

Being dropped to be replaced by a 19 year old would be the kick up the arse that he needs - not so much to put more effort in - i don't think theres any problem there - but just to switch on a bit and make sure that even Killer doesn't take his place in the team for granted.

I see the critics are out after one bad display!!!

The guy Killer was marking was taller and bigger, and the fault was not with Killer but with management not putting someone like Gillett on hm to stop him getting the run on him.

He never was blessed with that much pace so why this is an issue all of a sudden I do not know. The real blame if you want to put any out there today was Lallana who managed to precisely pick out the player on the line twice maybe three times and missed gilt edged chances.

But those of us who are sensible expect a few days like this from a bunch of kids who haveplayed twice a week since pre-season!!!

Cork is a must IMO.

Watch the Birmingham game again and see how many headers he won!!!

He is not the answer at centre back. Killer is fine but the defence need some cover in front of them which was missing today,

The real probalem today was Gillett and Spiderman were not at the races, White had a stinker and McGoldrick forgot how to pass, the two full backs coped well but were struggling, Dyer added something until he decided to go to centre forward as well.

It was a game too far and we need to recognise this for the rest of the season. The style of play is physically demanding and we need to rotate Wotton, Spiderman, Gillett, and Lallana to keep them fresh.

I see the critics are out after one bad display!!!

The guy Killer was marking was taller and bigger, and the fault was not with Killer but with management not putting someone like Gillett on hm to stop him getting the run on him.

He never was blessed with that much pace so why this is an issue all of a sudden I do not know. The real blame if you want to put any out there today was Lallana who managed to precisely pick out the player on the line twice maybe three times and missed gilt edged chances.

But those of us who are sensible expect a few days like this from a bunch of kids who haveplayed twice a week since pre-season!!![/QUOTE]

I'd agree with all of that. Especially the bit in bold - if the team is (week in week out) going to be that young and inexperienced, then there will be some great days and some really bad days when it simply doesn't happen. Some common sense all round (as in no booing!!) will be much needed.

We will need to learn quickly as there are plenty of sides like Blackpool out there and once our weaknesses are known, then word will get round !

Watch the Birmingham game again and see how many headers he won!!!

He is not the answer at centre back. Killer is fine but the defence need some cover in front of them which was missing today,

The real probalem today was Gillett and Spiderman were not at the races, White had a stinker and McGoldrick forgot how to pass, the two full backs coped well but were struggling, Dyer added something until he decided to go to centre forward as well.

It was a game too far and we need to recognise this for the rest of the season. The style of play is physically demanding and we need to rotate Wotton, Spiderman, Gillett, and Lallana to keep them fresh.

Agree again. Gut feel says this is a step too far for White at the moment, although the experence will do him good. McG needs to learn that being the lone striker is not the same thing as playing on your own - he has a great foil/support in Lallana but is reluctant to use him. Spiderman looks a really good player so presumably just a bad day at the office for him?

I'm glad to see i'm not the only one that thought Svensson was ****ing woeful today.

Criticising the man has lately been viewed as sacrilige by many fans and whilst i have nothing against the man as a person whatsoever and love him like we all do - he really did have a dreadful game.

Aside from his positioning being poor he was beaten far far too easily and was caught flat-footed far too many times.

Steve Kabba ran rings around him and really deserved a goal for his efforts, it was only thanks to his lack of finishing that spared our blushes.

Being dropped to be replaced by a 19 year old would be the kick up the arse that he needs - not so much to put more effort in - i don't think theres any problem there - but just to switch on a bit and make sure that even Killer doesn't take his place in the team for granted.

We all like to be managers in the stands - some from armchairs too.

But frankly, do you know anything about Michael Svensson at all?

Can you imagine what it must have been like watching his cartilege removed to be grown in a test-tube? His only hope of ever being able to continue his dream?? Keeping going for four years!

Can you?

And you think he takes his place for granted??

Michael Svensson epitomises EVERYTHING that is missing in modern football. That does not make him immune from critcism of course.

But, I'll bet my mortgage that he hurts more than ANYONE tonight and knows full well he's had a bad game.

The idea that he of anybody takes his place for granted. Seriously?

Agree again. Gut feel says this is a step too far for White at the moment, although the experence will do him good. McG needs to learn that being the lone striker is not the same thing as playing on your own - he has a great foil/support in Lallana but is reluctant to use him. Spiderman looks a really good player so presumably just a bad day at the office for him?

I bow to your greater perception ,Schneiderlin just doesn't have "la caisse"as the french say to play twice a week, he's 18 years old FFS, all we re doing is grinding him down. We have "men" at the club who should assume their responsabilities and their firkin huge pay packets and give him a rest.So the shambolics should get their arses into gear and step up to the plate- yes Euell and Skacel - I mean you. You ain't going nowhere ,now buckle the firk down

and play for the club that gives you a King's Ransom every week.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I bow to your greater perception ,Schneiderlin just doesn't have "la caisse"as the french say to play twice a week, he's 18 years old FFS, all we re doing is grinding him down. We have "men" at the club who should assume their responsabilities and their firkin huge pay packets and give him a rest.So the shambolics should get their arses into gear and step up to the plate- yes Euell and Skacel - I mean you. You ain't going nowhere ,now buckle the firk down

and play for the club that gives you a King's Ransom every week.

How strange.

Aside from the fact that Skacel is injured and BWP and Euell are crap, you seem to be under the impression that JP wants to play them but they are refusing to do so. I am pretty sure this isn't the case and a certain Mr Lowe has told Poortvliet he can't play them because we are trying to sell them.

Its understandable that some people want to defend Svensson, but from the Itchen Centre, he really did not look up to the job today. Its not good enough to say he was up against a strong forward, because that is a given in this league. He used to handle better players in the past and he used to win the balls in the air. He really only got balls with his head today when not under challenge.

This is very sad for such a great player, but its not difficult to conclude that Thomas would have put in a better performance. JP will have seen what the fans saw, and he will be studying the video of the game. Maybe it is lack of match practice after so long out, and lack of fitness affecting his speed, but I do wonder if MS will be able to hold his place.

Edited by Professor

How strange.

Aside from the fact that Skacel is injured and BWP and Euell are crap, you seem to be under the impression that JP wants to play them but they are refusing to do so. I am pretty sure this isn't the case and a certain Mr Lowe has told Poortvliet he can't play them because we are trying to sell them.

Sell them? No chance, they aren't going anywhere before monday night;

Skacel injured ? yeah right, that's what's known in the trade as a "diplomatic injury". You just have to get your head round the fact that unless we give some club or other (that the players in question deem "fitting"), at least half their salary they are untouchable-got that? right as you were.

Sell them? No chance, they aren't going anywhere before monday night;

Skacel injured ? yeah right, that's what's known in the trade as a "diplomatic injury". You just have to get your head round the fact that unless we give some club or other (that the players in question deem "fitting"), at least half their salary they are untouchable-got that? right as you were.

Yes. It has nothing to do with what I have to say, but I do understand it thanks.

My point is that you seem to have been brainwashed by the OS into thinking the new youth team is the best thing since sliced bread and every time a player over the age of 24 leaves, it is some kind of victory for the club.

I happen to think that BWP, Euell, Skacel and also John all want to play for us, but aren't being selected.

I know it is neigh on impossible to sell these players, but we shouldn't hate them for it.

How strange.

You don't sell players by keeping them out of the team, so apart from tryng to find something to blame on Lowe, this suggestion doesn't seem very likely, but its in the wrong place anyway - this thread is about Svennson.

Yes. It has nothing to do with what I have to say, but I do understand it thanks.

My point is that you seem to have been brainwashed by the OS into thinking the new youth team is the best thing since sliced bread and every time a player over the age of 24 leaves, it is some kind of victory for the club.

I happen to think that BWP, Euell, Skacel and also John all want to play for us, but aren't being selected.

I know it is neigh on impossible to sell these players, but we shouldn't hate them for it.

but I don't hate them Arizona, I just want for them to step up to the plate,

buckle down and assume their salaries, I just don't see that they're not being played because of some management decision or other, they are unsaleable,even a prize **** like Lowe must know that.thus to me they aren't playing because their attitude isn't right. There is no way under the sun that the said 3 players can be sold,so what is the problem? it can only be attitude, Lowe is nobody's Einstein but he just ain't that stupid.It's monday midnight FFS, if they we're "saleable" they'd be long gone.

can't even say diick, what has this forum become;

Edited by Window Cleaner

You don't sell players by keeping them out of the team, so apart from tryng to find something to blame on Lowe, this suggestion doesn't seem very likely, but its in the wrong place anyway - this thread is about Svennson.

Ah yes, sorry Professor, from what I saw on a rather bad internet retransmission this afternoon, Svensson is finished, Is that the right answer, no ? I guess that's six of the best with the old birch wand for me then.

I am not trying to blame Lowe, but to think he wants to do anything other than sell them would be naive. I also think the players are being left out the team because Poortvliet has been told we are trying to offload them and he can't rely on them this season.

I think it's far more plausible than the other explanation: All the players over 23 have suddenly decided they don't want to play for Saints and are refusing to appear in the first team.

Your final sentiment however is correct, so I will leave it at this.

but I don't hate them Arizona, I just want for them to step up to the plate,

buckle down and assume their salaries, I just don't see that they're not being played because of some management decision or other, they are unsaleable,even a prize **** like Lowe must know that.thus to me they aren't playing because their attitude isn't right. There is no way under the sun that the said 3 players can be sold,so what is the problem? it can only be attitude, Lowe is nobody's Einstein but he just ain't that stupid.It's monday midnight FFS, if they we're "saleable" they'd be long gone.

How can you say there is no way the players will be sold? Yes it looks increasingly unlikely, but we managed to offload Skacel with about 10 minutes left of the January window. For all we know some of the players could have deals lined up and will leave in the next few days.

As I said above, it's more likely than them all developing a sudden attitude problem, much like the "attitude problem" Rasiak, Safri, Viafara, Davies and Saganowski all suddenly developed just before they left.

I am not trying to blame Lowe, but to think he wants to do anything other than sell them would be naive. I also think the players are being left out the team because Poortvliet has been told we are trying to offload them and he can't rely on them this season.

I think it's far more plausible than the other explanation: All the players over 23 have suddenly decided they don't want to play for Saints and are refusing to appear in the first team.

Your final sentiment however is correct, so I will leave it at this.

How can you say there is no way the players will be sold? Yes it looks increasingly unlikely, but we managed to offload Skacel with about 10 minutes left of the January window. For all we know some of the players could have deals lined up and will leave in the next few days.

As I said above, it's more likely than them all developing a sudden attitude problem, much like the "attitude problem" Rasiak, Safri, Viafara, Davies and Saganowski all suddenly developed just before they left.

Can't argue with you Arizona, your mindset has a different view than mine.

We shall see come Tuesday lthough the loan window progresses long after

that it seems;However on the subject of Davies I know for a fact that he wanted to go at any cost. Nothing to do with Lowe or anything of the kind. In his mind's eye he is a premiership player and nothing else, I got this from a respected surgeon at the general (my sister works with him, also a respected professor at that worthy establishment)

What concerns me most about Michael Svensson isn't the fact he's not the player he was five years ago -that's to be expected under the circumstances , worryingly he's not half the player I saw in July during Saints v Celtic . I was expecting his return from such a major and prolonged injury to be a slow affair (it's a footballing miracle he's playing at all) but any progress seems to have ground to a halt at the moment it pains me to say . :(

He was never a particularly quick player but yesterday he wasn't even much good in the air either TBH . As a matter of principle you shouldn't pick a player on reputation alone , it has to be on current form and it's very much an open question as to whether Wayne Thomas or Oliver Lancashire could do a better job alongside Perry for the time being .

If ever a Saints player deserved the respect and support of his club and fans then 'Killer' Svensson is it . I hope/believe that given time we'll see MS back as something like the dominant Centre Back we all know he can be , but until that happy day he'll have to earn his place in the team like everybody else -I'm sure he wouldn't want it any other way .

Ah yes, sorry Professor, from what I saw on a rather bad internet retransmission this afternoon, Svensson is finished, Is that the right answer, no ? I guess that's six of the best with the old birch wand for me then.

From one poor performance, I wouldn't say he is finished, but against Blackpool he did make too many errors and as others have said on here, the failings were in almost every department for a CB.

It is still very early days in Svensson's comeback, and JP will have his performance in training to help assess him, whereas we only have the league games. Its certainly unfair to compare him against the world cup player that he was, but I felt that he did not look up to CCC standard. Killer does have another role in the side, which is to advise and steady the younger players, but he does still have to be worth his place.

Its very hard to say this about a player we all respect so much and I hope he can still improve, but I would not be surprised if JP uses Thomas or Cork in the next few games.

IMO we won't come up against a better target man this year. We don't need to worry.

And if we do find ourselves struggling, why not do what we did V Derby in the play-offs? Have one of the midfielders drop back and mark him going for the second ball whilst the CB challenges in the air.

IMO we won't come up against a better target man this year. We don't need to worry.

And if we do find ourselves struggling, why not do what we did V Derby in the play-offs? Have one of the midfielders drop back and mark him going for the second ball whilst the CB challenges in the air.

We have heard that a lot already this season be it winger or center forward!

Killer was never the guy that picked the tall CF to mark, that was CL's job. Killer was always the guy that won the ball on the floor and moved it forward. CL would drop off and sweep, as his pace was never anything to write home about.

If anybody has ever had a bad injury (let alone the sort Killer had), they would know that some days you feel good and other days you can't quite get it right, no matter how hard you try. Against Blackpool, Killer had one of 'those' days. Only through playing more games and avoiding further injury will he get his timing and consistency back. This may take a few, if not several months, however, his experience and his commitment make him a necessary selection. As he gets more games, he will get better. Give the guy a break, he is immense coming back and I beg you all to give him time, he will be our most important player come the end of the season, as long as he avoids injury.

Although we have no room for journeymen or injury prone players in this squad, we cannot do without the experience and bite that Killer has. We need his leadership, his experience and his tackling to prevent us from going down. Let's remember that although he may have made mistakes, other than the penalty, it was a clean sheet. Thankfully he is not trying to make his come back in the Premiership, otherwise, we would have conceded more. But we are in the CCC and Blackpool aren't great, neither are a lot of the teams, many will struggle against Killer, and that can only be good news for Saints!

He was woeful. So far off the pace, obviously VERY worried about his knee and so was avoiding doing much that could but any strain on it and seemed to do nothing more than a half hearted leap off the ground every time the ball was in the air which always seemed to end up with the ball going straight to an attacker...

I think the reality of Killer's return dawned today. Him coming back from a career ending sort of injury is a bit like bears riding bicycles, the surprise is not them doing it well but that they can do it all.

I have a feeling that our best CB partnership was not even on the pitch on Saturday. Cork and Wotton will give us much that Killer and Perry can't. What I also is that in the friendlies when Wotton played CB him and Schniederman were able to interchange as the latter can play CB and was happy to drop back if Wotton ventured forward.

It's lunacy to think that we can rely on Killer now as a starting CB. He is a great servant to the club but in reality JP may have it the wrong way around, he should not be rested for the Wednesday matches, he should be only playing in these if the starting CBs need to be rested.....