The new Saints Web/Forum.

saint lard

The new system was always going to take time to get up and running like it used to.When big news happens then I expect there will be a headlong rush to subscribe and get views aired.

Ido find it a shame there is less traffic but as others have said the loss of a Skate is worht every penny.

As for Essru's sarcastic assessment Im surprisded as I always sound and not a bitter type of person, unless I have misunderstood his post.

To answer a few points that have been raised:

Firstly, no disagreement that the forum has been quieter. Whether you term that a good or a bad thing is down to interpretation really. On one hand, there's less content overall, but on the other a lot of the complete and utter crap has also gone. On the main board, which in truth is the only part of the forum I really care about, the actual quality of the content has improved a lot, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't say that more posts equals a better forum, which is what has been inferred above. The amount of posts has tailed off quite a bit in the last week or so, but that's always happened around international breaks.

The number of "active" users has dropped, as has been mentioned. However, I believe a large amount of that is due to the main board not requiring a login to view anymore, as was the case on the old server.

The avatar size restriction is purely from a "how does the forum look when people are viewing it" perspective. We initially allowed much bigger avatars, but found that they looked absolutely ridiculous and appeared to "dominate" the page so much that the actual content was often hard to pick out. We may look into allowing slightly bigger avatars again in the future, but they won't be an awful lot bigger for this reason. We may be able to get away with bigger avatars if I can redesign the skin layouts slightly so that all the user data appears down the left with the content to the right.

As for the main site, it's taking (a lot) longer than Baj and I were expecting, mainly due to time, unfortunately, and I apologise for the delay and for the upset it's clearly caused many people ;). I've done a fair amount on it in the past week on my daily commute while Baj has been on holiday, but outside of that, I don't really get much time to work on it. Difficult to put a timescale on a launch, but I'd be disappointed if it wasn't up and running within a couple of weeks.

To answer a few points that have been raised:

Firstly, no disagreement that the forum has been quieter. Whether you term that a good or a bad thing is down to interpretation really. On one hand, there's less content overall, but on the other a lot of the complete and utter crap has also gone. On the main board, which in truth is the only part of the forum I really care about, the actual quality of the content has improved a lot, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't say that more posts equals a better forum, which is what has been inferred above. The amount of posts has tailed off quite a bit in the last week or so, but that's always happened around international breaks.

The number of "active" users has dropped, as has been mentioned. However, I believe a large amount of that is due to the main board not requiring a login to view anymore, as was the case on the old server.

The avatar size restriction is purely from a "how does the forum look when people are viewing it" perspective. We initially allowed much bigger avatars, but found that they looked absolutely ridiculous and appeared to "dominate" the page so much that the actual content was often hard to pick out. We may look into allowing slightly bigger avatars again in the future, but they won't be an awful lot bigger for this reason. We may be able to get away with bigger avatars if I can redesign the skin layouts slightly so that all the user data appears down the left with the content to the right.

As for the main site, it's taking (a lot) longer than Baj and I were expecting, mainly due to time, unfortunately, and I apologise for the delay and for the upset it's clearly caused many people ;). I've done a fair amount on it in the past week on my daily commute while Baj has been on holiday, but outside of that, I don't really get much time to work on it. Difficult to put a timescale on a launch, but I'd be disappointed if it wasn't up and running within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the slightly more considered reply than that of Ponty, which wound me up to the extent I couldnt respond without going off on one.

Another minor issue is the news on demand forum, there is no news on it. Is this something else that can be fixed? Otherwise its another example of paying for something that was free and getting less.

Its not a major issue, I paid my £5 because I thought the forum would be better, and I dont really mind less posts because you are right in saying the quality is better. But I was expecting a little more, and certainly not a little less. I would also expect just a tiny amount of "customer service" considering we are paying customers now. I felt that Ponty's response to my post was dismissive and sarcastic, and I dont appreciate paying for that.

Thanks for the slightly more considered reply than that of Ponty, which wound me up to the extent I couldnt respond without going off on one.

Another minor issue is the news on demand forum, there is no news on it. Is this something else that can be fixed? Otherwise its another example of paying for something that was free and getting less.

Its not a major issue, I paid my £5 because I thought the forum would be better, and I dont really mind less posts because you are right in saying the quality is better. But I was expecting a little more, and certainly not a little less. I would also expect just a tiny amount of "customer service" considering we are paying customers now. I felt that Ponty's response to my post was dismissive and sarcastic, and I dont appreciate paying for that.

very good point....

Is it worth asking for a refund? Perhaps you wouldnt get the entire £5 back, but due to the lack of promised extras, and frankly disgraceful service from admin such as Ponty, a £4.65 or so return would be a fair IMO. This would take into account the month of limitless posting you have enjoyed/endured.

Is it worth asking for a refund? Perhaps you wouldnt get the entire £5 back, but due to the lack of promised extras, and frankly disgraceful service from admin such as Ponty, a £4.65 or so return would be a fair IMO. This would take into account the month of limitless posting you have enjoyed/endured.

Very good point....

I am not sure about a refund, but if I can get you to waste your 3 posts on me, at least I have achieved something :)

You see, that is what I am talking about, you didnt apologise for missing the avatar post, you just admitted you did! There wasnt a sorry in sight, and immediately after you try and make amends, you get another dig in. You really are a ****ing **** sucker.

I didn't say "I apologised", I said I was being genuinely apologetic when I said, "As for your avatar request, that's a genuine oversight". It wasn't intentionally ignored.

As for getting a dig in, I was having a joke at Evil Monkey's post. I don't believe you thought he was being serious with the £4.65 thing?

As for calling me names, nice work, that really underlines your position as having the moral high ground.

I don't know what you Full Members are moaning about. You get loads for your money.

Apart from there STILL not being a 'Premier Southampton fan site', or indeed any 'rubbish fan site' content (maybe it's 'COMING SOON' still), you get benefits like: -

1. being able to display an 80x80 picture under your name

2. being able to send private messages to other people, nerds and weirdos on the internet (most of whom you've probably never met and never will) and you are also able to receive messages from said people, nerds and weirdos

3. you get the words 'Full Member' displayed under your name and avatar to show your commitment to the funding of the Premier Southampton fan site (coming soon)

4. your birthday gets displayed in the 'Today's Birthdays' section at the bottom of the Forum main page. This facility has been withdrawn for Registered Users for some unknown reason - maybe because of abuse, maybe because it was felt that only Full Members deserve to have congratulatory messages posted because they've paid their £5 to the Directors

5. you can start new threads on topics including (but not limited to) What are your weekend plans (make it sound like you're really popular and great and have an action packed weekend ahead that everyone should be jealous of); Rate Your Weekend (repeat what you last put in the 'What are your plans for the weekend' thread and make it sound like you're really popular and great and had an action packed weekend that everyone should be jealous of even though it was really rubbish); What you are going to have for lunch; What you've just eaten for lunch; Happy Birthday to [insert name of Full Member whose name appears in the Today's Birthdays' section]; plus other scintillating thread titles that Full Members and Registered Users alike will struggle to use up three posts on. Don't forget, Registered Users can't start threads, the losers.

Plus, don't forget there's the Premier Southampton fan site anywhere on the internet (COMING SOON) (Possibly).

All in all, it's probably the best £5 I've never spent.

On the upside, it means we only have to hear about apple at a maximum three times in any 24 hour period. Every cloud... :)

Full members should be allowed avatars that are up to and including 85x85. It goes against all of their civil liberties having a meagre 80x80 avatar. Sometimes I have to move closer to the screen to see them. This is probably giving me radiation/the big C. It is negligent to suggest otherwise. This place is an outrage.

I know a lot of people from this board. We are mates outside this forum and often meet up for a drink before football etc. The last time me and my mates met up wa about an hour ago and we all agreed that mynameisthehulk is well out of order and if anyone shoulf be apologising it should be him. We agreed that the way he has addressed Ponty is disgraceful and that he is a tit.

Registered users shouldn't be allowed opinions. Especially ones like the one from Wiltshire Saint above. mynameisthehulk has paid £5 which means he is better than you and he should be allowed to say horrible things about you without being infracted. Also, only Full Members should be allowed to use the rolling eyes emoticon.

I will only pay the £5 when the above rules are in place (including 85x85 avatars). I also think that Wiltshire Saint's post is sarcastic and dismissive and I don't appreciate paying for that.

Registered users shouldn't be allowed opinions. Especially ones like the one from Wiltshire Saint above. mynameisthehulk has paid £5 which means he is better than you and he should be allowed to say horrible things about you without being infracted. Also, only Full Members should be allowed to use the rolling eyes emoticon.

I will only pay the £5 when the above rules are in place (including 85x85 avatars). I also think that Wiltshire Saint's post is sarcastic and dismissive and I don't appreciate paying for that.

I agree

HTH

I will not be silenced by someone (like Tiggs) who has not paid their full £5. I offered Boj £4.95 for the privilege of posting here, but he said "NO". I said that I could not afford the full fee, but if I could I would not want to be addressed by people who had not paid. I think that Tiggs, Skiddymore and mynameishthe**** should be banned forthwith.

For me, for what it is worth, Ponty is the best admin/mod on this site. He mods in a way that allows all people to have their say and he always does his best to re-size pictures for avatars. Occasionally there is an oversight on his part, but he is, despite what people say, only human. I, for one, think he is special. I like his car talk. He once advised me on how to change gear in my car and for that I will be eternally grateful. I love him like a mother.

Everyone else is a bastard.

This site has become more upmarket now the riff raff can't afford to join up.

We dont wish to be polluted by the oiks and will carry on with our own Gentlemens club and leave the outsiders to troll around for freebies.

Now be off with you.

Slip of the tongue there Nick, I think?

You meant 'Gentlepersons' club' I imagine?

:)

Yes, that's a good point. We obviously failed to copy across the RSS feeds from the old forum. I'll try to get those sorted in the next couple of days.

I would not want to be referred to as a 'gentleperson'

Conjures up images of Lennie from Of Mice and Men for me...

Hows about Goons and Gimps club? That's something i could be involved in...

Members Only Club has a good ring to it. The little urchins would be allowed to put their little snotty faces to the windows 3 times a day, although after a period of time we could shush them away from annoying the paid up patrons.Soon I would envisage that there would be a vote to allow new members in, a bit like the Masons. We may even develop a special handshake, probably on the lines of the Nescafe advert.

Yes, that's a good point. We obviously failed to copy across the RSS feeds from the old forum. I'll try to get those sorted in the next couple of days.

Has the posting youtube videos issue been sorted yet?

I noted you couldn't when it first reopened...

And after i'd noted it i added you and baj to "the list"

Members Only Club has a good ring to it. The little urchins would be allowed to put their little snotty faces to the windows 3 times a day, although after a period of time we could shush them away from annoying the paid up patrons.Soon I would envisage that there would be a vote to allow new members in, a bit like the Masons. We may even develop a special handshake, probably on the lines of the Nescafe advert.

As long as it doesn't involve the guys rolling up their trousers :shock:

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
As long as it doesn't involve the guys rolling up their trousers :shock:

What about the baring the breast bit, though? That could prove popular.

We could get to blackball people wanting to join.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a forum now, I am going to shamelessly promote it using one of my 3 freebies.

I still need some mugs to help me with the ground guides as well as sending me pictures of them naked at football matches, if not then just pictures of stadiums will do.

Edited by Baj
considering this is the 3rd time you've spammed the forum with your website, I don't think so.

I have a forum now, I am going to shamelessly promote it using one of my 3 freebies.

I still need some mugs to help me with the ground guides as well as sending me pictures of them naked at football matches, if not then just pictures of stadiums will do.

what type of mugs, will a coffeee one do?

what type of mugs, will a coffeee one do?

Well I thought, seeing as there are so many mugs on here willing to pay a fiver to start a thread, I might as well make use of them as well.

Also, I was wondering if the admins of TSW would allow me to contribute 50p to their fund to post one thread shamelessly promoting the site? I don't need all the benefits that £5 will give me.

Mod's , will you accept my offer of 50p for 1 thread?

Alternatively, I will pay you £20 for a Solus email to your userbase.

I would PM you my offer but I don't have PM's

Well I thought, seeing as there are so many mugs on here willing to pay a fiver to start a thread, I might as well make use of them as well.

Also, I was wondering if the admins of TSW would allow me to contribute 50p to their fund to post one thread shamelessly promoting the site? I don't need all the benefits that £5 will give me.

Mod's , will you accept my offer of 50p for 1 thread?

Alternatively, I will pay you £20 for a Solus email to your userbase.

I would PM you my offer but I don't have PM's

lets see how long your site lasts before you end up being out of pocket and having to charge

lets see how long your site lasts before you end up being out of pocket and having to charge

Yes let's.

There is a million and one things they could have done to generate revenue from the website without having to charge to post on this forum.

For example, MatchHotels.com run an affiliate scheme where they would earn 5% of any booking, Superbreak run one with 10% of any revenue.

All they have to do is promote it in the forums, encourage people to use the service and they would probably bring in more than they did through subscriptions, and nobody is out of pocket.

None of the revenue I will make will come from forum subscriptions, you can hold me to that one.

Yes let's.

There is a million and one things they could have done to generate revenue from the website without having to charge to post on this forum.

For example, MatchHotels.com run an affiliate scheme where they would earn 5% of any booking, Superbreak run one with 10% of any revenue.

All they have to do is promote it in the forums, encourage people to use the service and they would probably bring in more than they did through subscriptions, and nobody is out of pocket.

None of the revenue I will make will come from forum subscriptions, you can hold me to that one.

instead you get a site that is covered in ads. No thanks, id rather pay £5 a year. And im assuming that you would only get money through these schemes if your users clicked on the ad and signed up to whatever offer it was?

instead you get a site that is covered in ads. No thanks, id rather pay £5 a year. And im assuming that you would only get money through these schemes if your users clicked on the ad and signed up to whatever offer it was?

Indeed thats how affiliates work, and a typical response rate is about 0.01% so only about 1 in every 10,000 people who see an ad, click through and then you can only expect around 1 in ten to make a booking, so that makes a booking for every 100,000 views, with an average booking fee of £100, so that makes every 100,000 views paying £10!

Not always the most efficient way of making money!

*All these figures are for a national hotel chain.

Indeed thats how affiliates work, and a typical response rate is about 0.01% so only about 1 in every 10,000 people who see an ad, click through and then you can only expect around 1 in ten to make a booking, so that makes a booking for every 100,000 views, with an average booking fee of £100, so that makes every 100,000 views paying £10!

Not always the most efficient way of making money!

*All these figures are for a national hotel chain.

makes more sence to pay a fiver then ;-)

this forum is probably the laughing stock of the internet. Charge users? I do not know of any other forum that charges unless you register to sell items (http://www.passionford.com) to name one.

Personally i use other clubs forums and post as often as i like for free.

Arsenal-land.co.uk great forum.

ffs you can't even edit posts!!!!!

How crap is this site now?

It has gone to the scrap yard.