Southampton Nostalgia...

SW11_Saint

As a sprout I lived in Bitterne, my Granny & Grandad lived in Shirley, on the odd exciting occasion we would "sail across the Ocean" on the Floating Bridge. being first on scared me as I feared we might not stop, watching the black ball go down the pole at the stern and going up at the bow meant we were off: quite the adventure when I was 4.

Going down to Western Shore to see the Queens Lizzie 1 & 2 and Mary departing or arriving.

The Red Routemaster buses on the aft deck of the Queen Mary as she left Southampton for the final time.

The Hovercraft from Woolston.

The Paddling Pools on the Common

Boating lake up the Sports Centre with the tin hand paddle boats, and the water fights on hot days mastered by sitting on one side of the boat and paddling the otherside to skim the water at another boat.

The 2p Orange train up the Sports Centre

The Witches Hat roundabout up the Sports Centre.

Weekend nights down the Ice Rink, dodging the plebs with hire skates, saving the girls as they were about to fall. Then at 9 and 10pm the ice was cleared of hire skates so those with their own skates had 15 minutes (71/2 minutes for Girls then the same for the boys) to show off, the DJ always played Blue Monday 12".

Shopping in Safeway opposite Edwin Jones on a Friday evening.

Getting lost in Edwin Jones and getting Jelly Baby's from the staff while we waited for my Mum to collect me.

Father Christmas's Grotto in Edwin Jones

The smell of Fawley wafting over the city.

Just a few before I get boring.

What a list - virtually every one gave a little twinge to my heart-strings! The witches hat roundabout - classic. I also always loved the concrete boats in Mayflower Park, what imaginary adventures you could have in them as a toddler. I took my wife down there recently, only for my heart to sink as they've been demolished (a new kid-friendly adventure park thing in it's place a bit further up - much safer I am sure, but it was so sad to see that little bit of history gone).

Southampton Zoo.............what a day out !!!!!!!!

Didn't think about the cruelty then, just amazing to see Lions/Tigers (one of each?) in Southampton albeit in tiny little cages. Believe Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers got it closed down (post "Born Free"), which was undoubtedly the right decision.

Used to get the circus regularly in the park next to Edwin Jones (the 'cricket park') too.

Good photo. I remember going to that cinema when I was a young'un. Used to have to queue outside round the alley/small road to the left if it was busy.

I remember that too. The commissionaire guy used to come around the corner at really popular films and shout "You've got no chance, don't wait!". We always hung on grimly, in the hope that you'd get in, even if you couldn't sit with your mates. Otherwise you ended up watching something you had no interest in!

I'm sure I remember this ritual for Star Wars, Life of Brian, Airplane! etc. Of course you couldn't pre-book in those days, so you had to just queue up and take your chances...

I remember that too. The commissionaire guy used to come around the corner at really popular films and shout "You've got no chance, don't wait!". We always hung on grimly, in the hope that you'd get in, even if you couldn't sit with your mates. Otherwise you ended up watching something you had no interest in!

I'm sure I remember this ritual for Star Wars, Life of Brian, Airplane! etc. Of course you couldn't pre-book in those days, so you had to just queue up and take your chances...

Reminds me of the scene in The Simpsons where people are queueing for The Empire Strikes Back; Homer walks out of the cinema past the queue and says "who would have guessed Darth Vader was Luke's father?!"

Great stuff.

The playground (can't think of a better word for it!) area at the Sporty will always be a big childhood memory for me too. Orange or Lemon sparkle from that grotty little hut afterwards!

You're not thinking of Jack's Corner are you?

And Ron, I didn't forget the Brickies, it's sort of my local!!!!

Talking about the Boating Lake up the Sporty, we used to play ice hockey on that during the Christmas holidays with hockey sticks and pucks bought from Toomers and using our hockey skates that we used at the Top Rank Ice Rink. Can't remember the last time we had a winter cold enough to freeze it over though.

I remember the Witches Hat; I think the council had to take it down because of the amount of fingers that got 'lost' in the top.

Also, skateboarding down the hill in the Sports Centre from the Pub in the Park (now the Sporting View) to the footy changing rooms could be a challenge. Too much truck wobble and you were down the grass slope and heading for the old concrete paddling pool. Which got turned into a basket ball court. And is now grassed over....

Just doing a bit of digging on the Common in general and came across this Management Plan.

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/Images/Common%20Management%20Plan_tcm46-200138.pdf

Have to admit, the table on page 25 did make me chuckle a bit.

Myself and a couple of friends from school were dirt tracking on our cycles around the ornamental lake when one of them broke a wheel. In disgust he chucked the bike in the lake, only to realise that his school bag, with his homework inside, was fixed on his luggage rack, so he had to wade in to retrieve it, ( the bag, not the bike ).

Used to hate cross country around the common, so tended to walk it.

Myself and a couple of friends from school were dirt tracking on our cycles around the ornamental lake when one of them broke a wheel. In disgust he chucked the bike in the lake, only to realise that his school bag, with his homework inside, was fixed on his luggage rack, so he had to wade in to retrieve it, ( the bag, not the bike ).

Used to hate cross country around the common, so tended to walk it.

:lol:

Do I recall you saying somewhere you were a Spud? Did you pull the old cross-country trick of hiding in a bush and rejoining on the second lap?

Hated cross counrty running from Hampton Park up to the common vis Burgess rd, going round the common and back. Had a friend who's parents owned a shop on Burgess rd so we would run like mad to the front, dive into his place and wait till the mugs all came back and then join back in pretendng to be knackered. I think he had an Atari games machine that we all played on.

Anyone remember the Go Kart track where Westkey is now as well as the Heliport and the Lido. My dad worked for Southern Electric depot where Leasure is now

:lol:

Do I recall you saying somewhere you were a Spud? Did you pull the old cross-country trick of hiding in a bush and rejoining on the second lap?

No, just enjoyed the walk. :)

However, at one point a prefect did say that if I refused to actually RUN the next race, he would put me on detention, so I did, and finished 17th out of the year group ( 120 ).

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

The real Spitfire bridge (not really Southampton but what the hell).

The Hope and Anchor in Threefields Land, where all the seats were benches from old buses and the tables were formica-topped and all different.

Fishing for grey mullet off the Royal Pier when it was a real pier. The fish would swim around nibbling the bait and I don't know anyone who ever caught one.

Fishing for trout in Wood Mill.

Helping my grandad carry home flagons of brown ale in a wooden crate from the Bottle and Jug at the Stoneham Arms.

I remember the Classic cinema changing from showing kiddies Saturday matinees to stuff of a more 'adult' persuasion.

The real Spitfire bridge (not really Southampton but what the hell).

The Hope and Anchor in Threefields Land, where all the seats were benches from old buses and the tables were formica-topped and all different.

Fishing for grey mullet off the Royal Pier when it was a real pier. The fish would swim around nibbling the bait and I don't know anyone who ever caught one.

Fishing for trout in Wood Mill.

Helping my grandad carry home flagons of brown ale in a wooden crate from the Bottle and Jug at the Stoneham Arms.

I remember the Classic cinema changing from showing kiddies Saturday matinees to stuff of a more 'adult' persuasion.

Amazingly we did catch one once - but only once - with one of those old fishing lines (wooden frame with orange cord wrapped around it). Didn't know how to kill it so stuck it in a tupperware box and wrapped a towel around it, which comically went hopping off down the pier... an angler took pity and killed the poor thing for us. Very nice it was too!

No, not really - but you were BOYS.

However, the Tauntons boys were better looking!

Dead right we are! :D

Going in Subway was always an experience - the more rude the staff were to you the better your experience!

Was the coffeeshop Greensleeves? (or something) next to Toomers? The tobacconist rings a bell too. There were lots of odd little shops around Bedford Place - remember Delbridges, the bird /pet shop?

The Coffee shop was by the zebra crossing next to the cenotaph. When going into town I used to get off the bus there rather than further down just so I could savour the aroma.

Was Subways the record shop by the Bargate, down the stairs and round the back of the other shops?

Buying sweets in the shop opposite Bitterne Park primary; 12 fruit salads for a penny, flying saucers, red shoe laces, sherbet fountains, and also Potato Puffs, ( think they were 3 pence a packet ). ( All 'old' money' of course ).

I too bought sweet from there. I would spend the money my Mum gave for my school milk. I did this for months until one of my mates thanked me for the sweets in front of my Mum….. rumbled. :mad: I use to buy Football Crazy puff things, 2.5p per packet I think (new money).

I guess you hail from Bitterne Park. Do you remember the american swing in Riverside Park. It was basically a glorified plank that 6 or 7 kids would sit astride, and swing backwards and forwards. The bigger kids would stand on the ends and generate more power. The problem with this was that over the years the mechanism wore out and the kids sat on the bench were in danger of clattering into the steel frame. Sadly it was removed, not sure why :rolleyes: – oh happy days.

LOL...... Just thinking of the name made me smile.

If it is the one you are talking about "Gill Brothers"

Get your stay press, Farah's, Grandad shirts, Y Cardigans and puffa coats

Gill Brothers also had a shop at the end of Macnaughten Rd, by Bitterne Station

I don't think that it was a landing pad as such. More like a small hard standing on which a helicopter was displayed? It was down a slight slope from the road by the Police Station and, as described earlier, outside the ATC hut.

I think that was outside the old R J Mitchel museum, on the site occupied by the BBC.

I guess you hail from Bitterne Park. Do you remember the american swing in Riverside Park. It was basically a glorified plank that 6 or 7 kids would sit astride, and swing backwards and forwards. The bigger kids would stand on the ends and generate more power. The problem with this was that over the years the mechanism wore out and the kids sat on the bench were in danger of clattering into the steel frame. Sadly it was removed, not sure why :rolleyes:

Been all over the place Started in Bitterne Park, living at my nan's, then moved around the town, including Portswood, Thornhill, Shirley, and the Flower Gardens (:(). Portswood Infants was my first 'real' school, then BP Infants / Juniors. Remember the american swing well, especially trying to get it up as high as it could go.

( At this rate there will be enough information on this thread for somebody to work out who I am ) :p

The docks back in the 1960's/70's with the original Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Mauretania, United States, France, Canberra etc coming and going. In those days Southampton used to seem much more conected with the waterfront than it is now, with several large ocean liners coming in and out on every day of the year. Only New York then could even hope to come close to the spectacle.

Dead right we are! :D

I think that was outside the old R J Mitchel museum, on the site occupied by the BBC.

That's it - thanks!!!

I remember going to see the Black & White Minstrel show at the Civic Centre (w/parents) - or maybe it was the Gaumont, and seeing the 'pad' for the first time.

St Mary's Street looks a bit sad these days but good memories of it during the 80's with 4 i think record shops,busy market, pubs including the Joiners(when it was pub and music venue) Oddfellows, Masons and Mahattans club for after pub as well as the nearby West Indian Club before the long and sometimes dangerous (for young punks) walk home to Sholing...

St Mary's Street looks a bit sad these days but good memories of it during the 80's with 4 i think record shops,busy market, pubs including the Joiners(when it was pub and music venue) Oddfellows, Masons and Mahattans club for after pub as well as the nearby West Indian Club before the long and sometimes dangerous (for young punks) walk home to Sholing...

Talking about dangerous for young punks, I remember going to see Crass at the Ashby Centre in Shirley once....that got a bit lively when a bunch of skins turned up....

The Coffee shop was by the zebra crossing next to the cenotaph. When going into town I used to get off the bus there rather than further down just so I could savour the aroma.

Was Subways the record shop by the Bargate, down the stairs and round the back of the other shops?

new money).

I know exactly where you mean now - towards the end of the row of shops that Tyrrell & Green was in. Think there was a florist there too. Funny how other people's memories can spark your own - I remember the coffee shop vividly now, believe there was an old fashioned coffee grinder in the window? I used to change buses there back from school (15 from Swaything to town, 2/2a back out to Lordswood).

Subway was on the parade of shops on the road that led down towards the Lido / Pirrelli's. It was the first one on left once you got through the cutway (where Thorntons chocolate shop was) from Above Bar. From memory I think it was downstairs - think all the shops on that little parade were.

I have a feeling there may have been another record shop where you describe - in fact I'm certain there was - was that pre-Bargate Centre (white elephant!) days?

Edited by SW11_Saint

Talking about dangerous for young punks, I remember going to see Crass at the Ashby Centre in Shirley once....that got a bit lively when a bunch of skins turned up....

I remember going to a "Skinhead moonstomp" (I wasn't one, but did know a couple of skins) in the 80's in the big church opposite the Gaumont/Mayflower. A big fat blonde woman with an alsation on the door, along with a couple of skinhead bouncers - it was pretty terrifying inside, packed to the rafters with skinheads wearing Fred Perry polo or gingham shirts, braces and crombies. Some decent ska music though. Think that church actually did become a bar (Cloisters or something equally naff?).

The docks back in the 1960's/70's with the original Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Mauretania, United States, France, Canberra etc coming and going. In those days Southampton used to seem much more conected with the waterfront than it is now, with several large ocean liners coming in and out on every day of the year. Only New York then could even hope to come close to the spectacle.

Some great old pictures of the fantastic art deco Ocean Terminal. What a sin to have demolished it...

Remember some great nights in the early hours watching the QE2 dock - especially exciting when back from a world cruise (if nothing else to see what my Dad had brought back!).

Southampton20Ocean20Terminal15.jpg

Southampton20Ocean20Terminal18.jpg

southamptonoceanterminal.jpg

After a serious bout of nostalgia on the main board (http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=474690#post474690) thought it might be worth starting a thread for any oldies with memories of Southampton "back in the day".

Could be anything, must be a ton of funny stories out there - just a few possible themes off the top of my head:

City events - The Southampton Show, The Carnival, The Fair ("A load of Pompey are coming down!"), Radio 1 live from the precinct

Nightlife - Barbarellas, The Top Rank ("Millionairres" night?!), The Rum Runner, Rainbows, that "indie" one down Ascupart St. in St. Mary's (Manhattens?)

Footy Pubs/Lock-ins - Painted Wagon, The Warreners, The Corner Post, Cricketers, Cowherds etc. etc.

Old Shops - Edwin Jones (?!) which became Debenhams, Toomers, Parnell's (THE place to buy your 14-hole DM's), Top Shop (body-popping outside!), Subway records

The old cinemas - ABC, Gaumont, Odeon, Saturday morning "kids shows"

Stuff to do - The Sports Centre, The Lido (legendary in '76!), The Central Baths and 'the 16'6" end' complete with kids flashing out the front windows!, Top Rank Ice Rink, The Stevedors Xmas Party, "Uncle Tony's Playtime Club" in the Echo(!), The Tyro League

City Landmarks - The Bargate, The Pier, The first McDonalds(!) - actually think it might have been Burger King(?), The Floating Bridge

Classic Gigs - The 'new' Mayflower getting wrecked in it's first week when the Pogues played, the Joiners Arms etc.

Inter-school rivalry - my old lot vs. Glen Eyre was always a classic...

You get the gist, anything and everything welcome...

I can't believe you haven't mentioned the old Eruptions nightclub round the back of East Street. Loads of the St George's boys used to go in there and it would often kick off between Glen Eyre and Hampton Park.

I don't know anyone without a dodgy story to tell about this place! It's a bit of a rite of passage for most Sotonians I reckon. Anyone know why it closed down? I moved away to go to Uni and when I came back it was gone! I bet it was something dodgy, knowing Barry and Dave...

The days when THe Platform was a real pub

I remember the fight in the parks just behind the 4 telephones (everybody's favourite meeting place) and I think it was Charlie Boyd who took a right hammering (he was Wimpson I believe). Didn't get involved myself being one of those good boys from Weston, who simply never got into trouble.

Can't remember the Eruption but the dodgiest clubs ever must have been Zoots and the Tangiers down at the bottom of St.Marys Street. Man, they were scary. Got my jaw busted there one night. Stan Baker was the bouncer. Didn't do fook all to help. Mind you, in retrospect I was a mouthy t w a t and probably deserved it.

The old Supermarine factory at Woolston was another good place to hang out, what with all the underground chambers. Wasn't that where Bunny Wyeth blew himself up?

I know exactly where you mean now - towards the end of the row of shops that Tyrrell & Green was in. Think there was a florist there too. Funny how other people's memories can spark your own - I remember the coffee shop vividly now, believe there was an old fashioned coffee grinder in the window? I used to change buses there back from school (15 from Swaything to town, 2/2a back out to Lordswood).

That reminded me of the busker who was always outside Tyrrells - Southampton's version of Bob Dylon.

I remember the fight in the parks just behind the 4 telephones (everybody's favourite meeting place) and I think it was Charlie Boyd who took a right hammering (he was Wimpson I believe). Didn't get involved myself being one of those good boys from Weston, who simply never got into trouble.

Can't remember the Eruption but the dodgiest clubs ever must have been Zoots and the Tangiers down at the bottom of St.Marys Street. Man, they were scary. Got my jaw busted there one night. Stan Baker was the bouncer. Didn't do fook all to help. Mind you, in retrospect I was a mouthy t w a t and probably deserved it.

The old Supermarine factory at Woolston was another good place to hang out, what with all the underground chambers. Wasn't that where Bunny Wyeth blew himself up?

Apologies if I am being insensitive and ignorant, but seriously... what? :o

Benjii, obviously not everyone would know the story, and I must admit that after all these years some of the details are hazy but the site of the old Spitfire works was left derelict for years and years after the war. Massive concrete slabs were shifted about by the bombing which left craters, chambers and hidey-holes beneath the slabs. It was a great place for kids to play and hide out.

"Bunny" Wyeth was one of the local lads and, from what I understand, was experimenting with homemade explosives and got seriously injured from one of his bombs exploding. He was summararily prosecuted for his actions.

No doubt some others on this site might remember the incident more clearly. HTH

Edited by unionhotel
grammar errors

Benjii, obviously not everyone would know the story, and I must admit that after all these years some of the details are hazy but the site of the old Spitfire works was left derelict for years and years after the war. Massive concrete slabs were shifted about by the bombing which left craters, chambers and hidey-holes beneath the slabs. It was a great place for kids to play and hide out.

"Bunny" Wyeth was one of the local lads and, from what I understand, was experimenting with homemade explosives and got seriously injured from one of his bombs exploding. He was summararily prosecuted for his actions.

No doubt some others on this site might remember the incident more clearly. HTH

Ok - thanks. I'd never heard of this before.

Subway was on the parade of shops on the road that led down towards the Lido / Pirrelli's. It was the first one on left once you got through the cutway (where Thorntons chocolate shop was) from Above Bar. From memory I think it was downstairs - think all the shops on that little parade were.

I have a feeling there may have been another record shop where you describe - in fact I'm certain there was - was that pre-Bargate Centre (white elephant!) days?

I spoke to the font of all knowledge (at least in our house) and she thinks the record shop I'm remembering was called Underground Records. She also thinks Subway records was in Bargate St, in the parade of shops between the Bargate & Portland Terrace, cunningly next to the subway.

Called "Importers" I think. The smell of freshly ground coffee used to permeate the whole of the junction, and when ever you were on a bus that stopped there, the bus would be filled with that lovely smell!!