Southampton Nostalgia...

SW11_Saint

I spoke to the font of all knowledge (at least in our house) and she thinks the record shop I'm remembering was called Underground Records. She also thinks Subway records was in Bargate St, in the parade of shops between the Bargate & Portland Terrace, cunningly next to the subway.

Underground Records!!!! I'd forgotten all about that.

Did Subway expand then and buy the shop next to the subway as well as keep the shop near Percy Horn's next to the green bus depot? I'm pretty sure this record shop became a Virgin record store.

Sperrings. All turned into One Stops or something.

Bassett Bumps up at the Common. Made all the more interesting because MTBs hadn't been invented then. I buckled many a racing bike wheel going over these as a lad.

Did Subway expand then and buy the shop next to the subway as well as keep the shop near Percy Horn's next to the green bus depot? I'm pretty sure this record shop became a Virgin record store.

Bassett Bumps up at the Common. Made all the more interesting because MTBs hadn't been invented then. I buckled many a racing bike wheel going over these as a lad.

There was also Frances (Francis??) record shop in the road opposite (Houndwell?) where Virgin/Waterstones now is. Back in the 60`s this and Henrys were the places to go for the latest 45`s!!

Originally there were two Sperrings shops at the top of Lances Hill in Bitterne. They were run by two brothers. One shop, run by one of the brothers was an extremely dark, dusty, sweet/tobacconists shop where I used to get my American Superman/Batman comics. They were just thrown in a heap and you had to dust them off and sort through them. The other brother ran a similar shop on the opposite corner but it was clean tidy and organised. Unsurprisingly it was this brother who built up the Sperring "empire"!

Sperrings were bought by the American chain Circle K for a great deal of money back then.

They were run by two brothers.

Didn't the Father start the shop ? I know Bob went on to create the succesful chain of "convenience" stores but Tom was also succesful with outlets within the stores called VideoBox(renting videos) think Tom had too many ex wives to hold onto all his money compounded by the invention of the DVD.

I still recall how quiet Sundays were with nothing open, used to help the milkman, the float used to be a mini convenience store, eggs, bacon, 1/2 underweight of spuds, use to get £3.00 for a saturday and a sunday, saturdays 0530-1330ish(with three stops for tea and toast) Sundays 0700-midday ish, where was the minimum wage then !! when they condensed the Sunday round into Saturday he only paid me £2.50 ! the work load stayed the same we didn't finish until 3/4 and only had one tea and toast stop.

Didn't seem to matter back then though !

Can't believe Eruption hasn't had a mention yet. That must've been one of the dodgiest places in town back in the day, but at least you were guaranteed a memorable night out. It still holds the record for being the only place where I actually saw somebody do that thing of smashing a beer bottle and waving the sharp end in someones face outside of films. I also remember a gang of Romsey "lads" getting a battering while the doormen just looked on grinning.

Does anyone else remember Mel from behind the bar? Must have been late mid eighties. Oh and if you ever went there you have probably spent the years since trying to forget what the toilets were like.

Legendary place.

Sperrings became Alldays

Sperrings were bought by the American chain Circle K for a great deal of money back then.

Didn't the Father start the shop ? I know Bob went on to create the succesful chain of "convenience" stores but Tom was also succesful with outlets within the stores called VideoBox(renting videos) think Tom had too many ex wives to hold onto all his money compounded by the invention of the DVD.

I still recall how quiet Sundays were with nothing open, used to help the milkman, the float used to be a mini convenience store, eggs, bacon, 1/2 underweight of spuds, use to get £3.00 for a saturday and a sunday, saturdays 0530-1330ish(with three stops for tea and toast) Sundays 0700-midday ish, where was the minimum wage then !! when they condensed the Sunday round into Saturday he only paid me £2.50 ! the work load stayed the same we didn't finish until 3/4 and only had one tea and toast stop.

Didn't seem to matter back then though !

I think the brothers were Bob and Ian. Ian went on to be successful with William Hill bookmakers, made a packet through the float of WH and recently retired from their board.

I remember my dad used to have an account at a tailors/suit shop on East Street. The shop isn't there any more, but I remember being bored at having to wait around in there many a time. Can't think what's there now, must have been near where the bakers is (Greggs type place).

We lived in Cowes on the Isle of Wight for a few years. Remember getting the Hydrofoil back and forth, no-one ever seems to mention that these days.

Can't believe Eruption hasn't had a mention yet. That must've been one of the dodgiest places in town back in the day, but at least you were guaranteed a memorable night out. It still holds the record for being the only place where I actually saw somebody do that thing of smashing a beer bottle and waving the sharp end in someones face outside of films. I also remember a gang of Romsey "lads" getting a battering while the doormen just looked on grinning.

Does anyone else remember Mel from behind the bar? Must have been late mid eighties. Oh and if you ever went there you have probably spent the years since trying to forget what the toilets were like.

Legendary place.

I was just wondering when someone was going to mention Eruptions. Blimey, the things I could tell you about that place. I was there when it got busted, not once but twice in a single night!!!! Was Mel that big guy? I may be confusing him with Dave, the doorman.

I was just wondering when someone was going to mention Eruptions. Blimey, the things I could tell you about that place. I was there when it got busted, not once but twice in a single night!!!! Was Mel that big guy? I may be confusing him with Dave, the doorman.

That's not quite the way I remember her, but I may have been a little drunk at the time. :smt104

Learnt to swim at Central Baths. Travelling on 63 (I think) H&D bus from North Baddesley to go swimming in school holidays. The bus station. The LIDO! - cold water and rough concrete, and those slides. My first Chinese meal at Celestial Garden Restaurant which if my memory served me right was near Edwin Jones. Cycling to the Sports Centre. Cricket at the County Ground watching Greenidge, Richards, Roberts et al.

New York new York night club lol

who remembers the auctions that popped up all over the place circa 1990 that made out that you could buy a game boy for £10 but you were not allowed to open the bag until you left the building. It was on watchdog etc

New York new York night club lol

who remembers the auctions that popped up all over the place circa 1990 that made out that you could buy a game boy for £10 but you were not allowed to open the bag until you left the building. It was on watchdog etc

New York New York, so good you named it twice?

Not a nice team or a nice location. Plenty of weird people on the touchline too.

Veracity Ground changing rooms. A Nissan Hut shared with 6 or 8 other teams. Had to leave all your gear in your car for fear of theft. Exceedingly manky showers

Supposed to have been a FA Cup played there pre WW1. Thorneycrofts v Burnley

Not a nice team or a nice location. Plenty of weird people on the touchline too.

Veracity Ground changing rooms. A Nissan Hut shared with 6 or 8 other teams. Had to leave all your gear in your car for fear of theft. Exceedingly manky showers

Supposed to have been a FA Cup played there pre WW1. Thorneycrofts v Burnley

Once you've played at the Veracity, you realise that you will never play at Wembley.

The laughing paki. I know that is a racist term but honestly, that is what he was known as by everyone who saw him years ago

Urban legend... Is he still about?

Is this the guy with a gammy leg, like he had Polio as a kid? Always has a fag on the go? Laughs out loud, shouts a load of gibberish and points at people? If so I last saw him, about a month ago, in Eastleigh.

The army surplus shop that faced Hoghlands, Im not sure if it is still there. There used to be large tearooms in the highstreet.Upstairs i think. That coffee shop at the top end of the high street where the smell of coffee was lovely.

Was that the Cadena Cafe? Also that coffee shop, always heralded our arrival in town on the 48. It was a roaster in the window, not a grinder.

Windsor terrace when we arrived in town for the game, a bag of chips and a Plesteds Pie. Then down to the Southerners for pints of Mild with a schooner of sherry in it. Can't remember some games. I wonder why!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Was that the Cadena Cafe? Also that coffee shop, always heralded our arrival in town on the 48. It was a roaster in the window, not a grinder.

Windsor terrace when we arrived in town for the game, a bag of chips and a Plesteds Pie. Then down to the Southerners for pints of Mild with a schooner of sherry in it. Can't remember some games. I wonder why!

Bloody hell, were you following me? I was on the 11 or 15 that must have arrived just before you. Plesteds and chips at Windsor Terrace and a few pints of Brown and Mild at the Windsor Pub (Marstons?)

Maybe a stroll down to the Lord Louis and the Platform, maybe the Hope and Anchor at Threefields Lane if I had time.

Bloody hell, were you following me? I was on the 11 or 15 that must have arrived just before you. Plesteds and chips at Windsor Terrace and a few pints of Brown and Mild at the Windsor Pub (Marstons?)

Maybe a stroll down to the Lord Louis and the Platform, maybe the Hope and Anchor at Threefields Lane if I had time.

You must have been the handsome chap, just ahead of us.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
You must have been the handsome chap, just ahead of us.

Handsome meh. Chap, certainly.

I started drinking in the Windsor at the age of 13, in 1967, when I got my first Season Ticket.

Before that, I had to queue up at the Archers from about 12.30 to get in at 1.00 when the gates opened.

I spoke to the font of all knowledge (at least in our house) and she thinks the record shop I'm remembering was called Underground Records. She also thinks Subway records was in Bargate St, in the parade of shops between the Bargate & Portland Terrace, cunningly next to the subway.

Yes, I think you, rather she, is right!

Does anyone remember the Marsh pub in town?It was in Albert rd,but is now flats(like everything else).It was a teddyboys pub and used to get a decent following on a friday and saturday night.The best years for me were between 1978-86.Happy days.

The Albert Hotel just along from the Marsh was also ok,except for the little Hitler of a landlord who seemed to take a dislike to anyone who wanted to buy a pint from his pub.

Makes me sad thinking about all of these pubs that are no longer here,because what is there now except Weatherspoons?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

The Albert Hotel just along from the Marsh was also ok,except for the little Hitler of a landlord who seemed to take a dislike to anyone who wanted to buy a pint from his pub.

But that's what makes a traditional English pub; a surly, obnoxious arsehole of a landlord.

If I remember correctley, there was a cafe/restaraunt above the Echo offices....I was in there one Saturday dinnertime about 1981 with 3 mates, and I noticed a coloured woman looking at us and licking her lips (we were only 15/16)......I think she was a mentalist!

The next time I saw her, she was chasing a suited gentleman across the road from Jean Jeanie, to everyone's amusement...............he looked scared ****less!

The laughing bloke. I know that is a racist term but honestly, that is what he was known as by everyone who saw him years ago

Urban legend... Is he still about?

Is this the guy with a gammy leg, like he had Polio as a kid? Always has a fag on the go? Laughs out loud, shouts a load of gibberish and points at people? If so I last saw him, about a month ago, in Eastleigh.

Really friendly chap and not really funny that people take the pee, but I think you mean this chap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DAhWJAJ4o&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsfFECF8l40&feature=PlayList&p=323C89A048F44179&index=0&playnext=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMzQCDh7ZTo

btw, anyone remember the rockabilly band 'Get Smart'? They used to play in the precinct and I also saw them up at Covent Garden a few times too.

They were brilliant and I have an old LP with one of their tracks on. The lead singer's name will come to me, but they had a double bass player and the lead singer looked soooo cool in his leather 3/4 jacket and shades, I wanted to be him. I think he lived in Hedge End?

Edited by hamster

Really friendly chap and not really funny that people take the pee, but I think you mean this chap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DAhWJAJ4o&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMzQCDh7ZTo

btw, anyone remember the rockabilly band 'Get Smart'? They used to play in the precinct and I also saw them up at Covent Garden a few times too.

They were brilliant and I have an old LP with one of their tracks on. The lead singer's name will come to me, but they had a double bass player and the lead singer looked soooo cool in his leather 3/4 jacket and shades, I wanted to be him. I think he lived in Hedge End?

Why is it not funny to take the **** out of 'The Laughing Paki' ?........the first thing he did to me when I saw him for the first time about 28 years ago, was to laugh at me!............in all fairness though, I do hope he's still laughing.

Why is it not funny to take the **** out of 'The Laughing Paki' ?........the first thing he did to me when I saw him for the first time about 28 years ago, was to laugh at me!............in all fairness though, I do hope he's still laughing.

He laughs with people, not at them hth.

He laughs with people, not at them hth.

Mmmmmmmm!!!!!! maybe :-k, Slightly confusing though when you're 16 years old and you get off a bus in town to be confronted by a person of Asian origin...completey ****ing themselves with laughter whilst looking at you!......he never told me he was laughing with me, & I wasn't laughing at anything anyway.....so he wasn't laughing with me!

Double HTH! :D

Mmmmmmmm!!!!!! maybe :-k, Slightly confusing though when you're 16 years old and you get off a bus in town to be confronted by a person of Asian origin...completey ****ing themselves with laughter whilst looking at you!......he never told me he was laughing with me, & I wasn't laughing at anything anyway.....so he wasn't laughing with me!

Double HTH! :D

tbh, re your internet persona I think i would quite likely laugh at you too, so I take it back, he probably was laughing at you. no offence intended.

LOL@U

Legendary place.

That's not really a record, more of an event you only saw in one place. Still, I counted it as a good night in there if I managed to last until the end without getting forcibly ejected for youthful high jinks!

tbh, re your internet persona I think i would quite likely laugh at you too, so I take it back, he probably was laughing at you. no offence intended.

LOL@U

Sorry Hammy, I seem to have touched a 'nerve' there, no offence taken or intended.