Southampton Nostalgia...

SW11_Saint

After the '82 world cup, a kid appeared on Eling rec who was a giant (well he was to me aged 12) and had a barnet like Zico. He was a lumbering monster, a big Saints fan and a legend was a born amongst the Hounsdown fraternity.

If you are from the wrong side :cool: of the railway track then you probably wouldn't know of his existence.

Wow - you must be 1st person ever in history to get the words 'legend' and 'Hounsdown' into the same sentence.

Anywhere south of the tracks is dodgy!

Do you remember when Testwood 1st changed it's hours so it finished at 3 instead 4? A load of the older Testwood lot (I was a youngun at the time) all went over to Hounsdown to say 'hello'. Stories of your teachers coming out with hockey sticks to get rid of them all. Just how true was that? Seems crazy to believe that nowadays but back then it probably did happen...

I see someone has mentioned Godwins fish and chips. Well I can confirm that it is still as good as ever in there, despite it now being called "Jims Place" or something, to this day one of my biggest pleasures in life is driving down there to grab a large cod and chips, then sit looking out at the sea down Mayflower Park, eating them.

Other nostalgia stuff for me would be Peppi's hairdressers on Richmond Road. Can remember sitting there getting my hair cut as a kid and they had pennants for AC and Inter Milan up on the walls.

Freemantle Park - always used to get flooded.

Richmond Leisure in Shirley back in the late 80s when they had actual arcade machines in there!

The original Margherritas (sp) near the Gaumont was for many their first proper experience of a proper restaurant. I have never been to the new one, must try it sometime.

I loved the Silhouette club on St Micheal's Square too. Once when I was too tiddly to be allowed in, I sat on the pavement outside waiting for my mates (yeah right) to come back out for me, when Mark Wright and a few of his mates came along. One of them only had Tee-shirt on so was refused entry, until I (the young fool that I was) piped up "any mate of Mark Wright's, is a mate of mine" and let him have my bestest shirt. As they all piled in one of them called me a name (I think he said I was a stupid ****, or something similar) which really ****ed me off as I was just being nice. I nearly froze my nuts off walking home topless that night. I know it wasn't his fault, but I went off him Wrighty that night, as he laughed along with his mate, and was really glad when he ****ed off to whoever he ****ed off to. I also chuckled when Shilts broke his leg, which I know was extremely petty of me., but I think that my God has forgiven me by now.

Jennings Toy Shop,Below Bar,

and Keith Paul's in Woolston

i remember going into a model railway shop in Six Dials with my dad, that was GREAT,despite the fact it smelt really musty!!!.

buying my first pair of jeans (snow-wash!!!) from some really dodgy shop in St Mary's street...

My first fast food experience in Huckleberry's :)

Coming home to sholing from town on the bus and wishing i lived in that house on Bitterne Road/Lances Hill (not sure what the road is called tbh) that had the green Wendy house in the corner of the garden....:D

Raffles Nightclub.....had some BRILLIANT nights in there, mostly due to the fact that i, and most people in there, were under 18!!

Ice Skating at the rink, and then when that closed down :( getting the coach every friday night up to Basinstoke! :D

playing down the valley in Sholing

playing on the bouncy tree in Botley road woods and getting chased by the landowner (as it was private ),weilding a shotgun!! :smt087

oooo, just remembered The Apollo fish n chip shop in Alfriston Gardens ,sholing......best chippy around!!!

Hey St Boggy! Another Sholing girl!

Talking about Six Dials - anyone remember the Dolls Hospital there? (Probably not many since most of you are blokes :D)

yeh, i grew up (for the most part ) just off Butts Road and after a 2 year stint in Chartwell Green, moved to Kathleen Road, where my oldies still live..:)

i do vaguely remember a Dolls Hospital, but can't say that i ever needed it.......i was/am a bit of a tomboy,so despite my parents best efforts, i didn't really play with dolls...:)

Jennings Toy Shop,Below Bar,

and Keith Paul's in Woolston

i remember going into a model railway shop in Six Dials with my dad, that was GREAT,despite the fact it smelt really musty!!!.

buying my first pair of jeans (snow-wash!!!) from some really dodgy shop in St Mary's street...

My first fast food experience in Huckleberry's :)

Coming home to sholing from town on the bus and wishing i lived in that house on Bitterne Road/Lances Hill (not sure what the road is called tbh) that had the green Wendy house in the corner of the garden....:D

Raffles Nightclub.....had some BRILLIANT nights in there, mostly due to the fact that i, and most people in there, were under 18!!

Ice Skating at the rink, and then when that closed down :( getting the coach every friday night up to Basinstoke! :D

playing down the valley in Sholing

playing on the bouncy tree in Botley road woods and getting chased by the landowner (as it was private ),weilding a shotgun!! :smt087

oooo, just remembered The Apollo fish n chip shop in Alfriston Gardens ,sholing......best chippy around!!!

I grew up across the road from the Apollo chippy. Used to hang around there and the valley trying to look hard in the 70/80's.

yeh, i grew up (for the most part ) just off Butts Road and after a 2 year stint in Chartwell Green, moved to Kathleen Road, where my oldies still live..:)

i do vaguely remember a Dolls Hospital, but can't say that i ever needed it.......i was/am a bit of a tomboy,so despite my parents best efforts, i didn't really play with dolls...:)

OMG I used to live in that road - bottom end near St Mary's church!!!!!!

We had our school leaving do (16) at Turpins !

Millionaires club

The stranglers at the Top Rank.

New Order at the Top Rank being incredibly boring

Level 42 every other week (so it seemed) at the Top Rank

Friday night skating, trying to look 18 and lager and black

Floaters and dry ice

Vospers friday lunchtimes

A huge "private" party at the old Fyffe's warehouse next to what was to become NY NY

Goblets

Hammy DJing at the Park (?)

The pod shop by the bus station

Subway

What was the punk club on St Mary street ?

The Lord Luis

Getting into the University for big gig nights...

Yeh, have heard it from a couple of people. One of which I used to work with in Winchester, but her parents lived in Norwich. How contrary to your post.

All this Southampton nostagia sounds like a basis for a Men They Couldn't Hang song.

Quite so. I'll try to put a link onto their website . If Paul can't conjure up a classic from all this stuff then he's losing his touch!!

What a truly great band they are.

Hey St Boggy! Another Sholing girl!

Talking about Six Dials - anyone remember the Dolls Hospital there? (Probably not many since most of you are blokes :D)

I remember it b, I once pulled a nurse who worked there.

Unfortunately her arm came offf in my hands and she had to be re-strung.

Now that my friends is a joke of the highest calibre, and it just came to me out of nowhere. Someone write that down.

I remember it b, I once pulled a nurse who worked there.

Unfortunately her arm came offf in my hands and she had to be re-strung.

Now that my friends is a joke of the highest calibre, and it just came to me out of nowhere. Someone write that down.

Are you p1ssed by any chance? :D

Has anybody heard this expression before? I'm convinced it's local. Basically it means "The sky over there looks a bit overcast and we could be in for some rain."

There are Sotonians that I know that know this expression but my missus (who hails from Norfolk) looked at me like I was mad when I said it to her once.

I think its more of a Warren saying.

I have heard it quite a few times but only from boys hailing from the warren.

Talking of pubs, is The Running Horse still around or has that gone? I went to the semi-final in '76 in the coaches from there, great atmosphere there and back with booze, packed lunches and banjo players on the coach. We even got our photo on the front of the Echo, pictured just before we set off.

You mean this photo on HERE ?!?!?

Thought that was before the final, I went to both with the RH so I could be wrong .

Think the pub is long gone, it would have been where West Quay now is.

Thought that was before the final, I went to both with the RH so I could be wrong .

LoL - love the Old Codgers calling card blog - -keep it up. You are now in my Saints favourites folder.

My GOD!!!! How embarrassing - the chubby kid, centre, with the pork pie hat and holding out the Saints scarf is ME!!!!

What a find! It was definitely the semi (I couldn't get a ticket for the final...). The chap to my right is the landlords son, my mate from back then.

What a day!

There was a shop in Bedford Place towards the park end and they sold all sorts of smelly fragrant soaps and candles, can't remember what it was called. The eye hospital, my nan letting people in the side door at The Corner Post on matchdays.

I reckon I knew your Nan!

Of course the Corner Post is really the Fitzhugh

My GOD!!!! How embarrassing - the chubby kid, centre, with the pork pie hat and holding out the Saints scarf is ME!!!!

What a find! It was definitely the semi (I couldn't get a ticket for the final...). The chap to my right is the landlords son, my mate from back then.

What a day!

LoL I remember you and your mate quite clearly then - you 2 my mate and me (I am the one cut in half far right on the photo) were possibly the only kids on the coach. I can still hear OWTSGMI being played on the banjos in my head to this day. I remember on the way home filling a sleeping drunk guy on the back seats pockets with chicken bones and ****ing ourselves as he was dropped off in Shirley and staggered across the road finding them in every pocket as he searched for his keys

I must have got confused with the photos then - being next door to the Echo Office, they took photos of the Running Horse crowd for both the semi and the final. That explains why I couldn't find it when I went over Central Library and searched the Echo Archives for May 1st then :-? I best add an edit to the blog entry now LoL

Bests fish&chip shop in Middle Street .

Bests had chippies every where, I think the one in Bitterne Rd, next to the car sales place was also Bests. There was also one near Cobden Bridge, it was either the one on the eastern (Triangle) side, now called Charlies (although Charlie moved on about 8 years ago :rolleyes:), or it was on the western side, opposite the Conservative Club, now a Indian takaway.

Whilst on the subject of chippies - BATTER SCRAPS - the original artery cloggers, but absolute manna from heaven. :smt060

Dont see fresh produce in Southampton High street either these days. There used to be a fresh fish shop called Mac Fisheries I think that was sandwiched somewhere between WH Smith and the old M&S or BHS. Must have disappeared sometime in the late 70's, early 80's?

Edited by Gigersaint

LoL I remember you and your mate quite clearly then - you 2 my mate and me (I am the one cut in half far right on the photo) were possibly the only kids on the coach. I can still hear OWTSGMI being played on the banjos in my head to this day. I remember on the way home filling a sleeping drunk guy on the back seats pockets with chicken bones and ****ing ourselves as he was dropped off in Shirley and staggered across the road finding them in every pocket as he searched for his keys

I must have got confused with the photos then - being next door to the Echo Office, they took photos of the Running Horse crowd for both the semi and the final. That explains why I couldn't find it when I went over Central Library and searched the Echo Archives for May 1st then :-? I best add an edit to the blog entry now LoL

It's a cracking photo - I was famous at school for 15 minutes!

I remember we stopped on the way up at some pub/social club around London. Some woman asked Sean (my mate) and I who we thought would win - I said Saints, and he said Crystal Palace. She replied "Well, at least he's being honest" which gave me the right hump and I thought of her when we scored our second to make it safe! Also had two right @rsey Palace fans (in their fedora's) near us in the ground. I got great delight from their faces at the end too - also vividly remember the Malcolm Allison fedora stomping episode.

I too will always think of the banjos when I think of that day - it really was a cracking atmosphere on that coach. As you say, a lot of proper old Saints men who really made the most of their day out. Thanks for posting - have left a note on your blog too, great reading!

Dont see fresh produce in Southampton High street either these days. There used to be a fresh fish shop called Mac Fisheries I think that was sandwiched somewhere between WH Smith and the old M&S or BHS. Must have disappeared sometime in the late 70's, early 80's?

I remember McFisheries - was it up by the original Virgin Records? In fact, it might have even been the site where Virgin moved into (this is the old hippie Virgin Records, rather than the modern megastore). I used to play with their plastic green fern things they displayed around the fish.

Also, do you remember Lyon's tea/coffee shop on the high street? Was opposite where the old M&S was.

Bests had chippies every where, I think the one in Bitterne Rd, next to the car sales place was also Bests. There was also one near Cobden Bridge, it was either the one on the eastern (Triangle) side, now called Charlies (although Charlie moved on about 8 years ago :rolleyes:), or it was on the western side, opposite the Conservative Club, now a Indian takaway.

Whilst on the subject of chippies - BATTER SCRAPS - the original artery cloggers, but absolute manna from heaven. :smt060

"10p of chips and scraps" - what a belter! The original fast food!

Batter scraps from Bests on Bitterne Rd for 10p.

I used to get the No 4 instead of the 14 to get off there to get some and then walk up West End Rd scoffing them.

Also, do you remember Lyon's tea/coffee shop on the high street? Was opposite where the old M&S was.

Yes remember going in there c1970 after being dragged around town by my mother.It was on the circuit ie Tyrell&Green,Plummers,C&A before we got into the main drag of the High Street,winding our way down to Edwin Jones.Lyons might be a port of call on the return journey before retracing our steps.

If I was lucky we might fit Toomers in,and possibly the toy dept of Woolworths in their basement.

Torture at the time for an under 10,but sadly realise now how much better the city and its High Street was then.

!!!

Do you mean the house on Moorhill rd near Telegraph rd West End?

I think it's still there...

Winchester Rd, near the Sports Center roundabout and one in West End too. I used to go out with one of his daughters and she would drive her dads van with jars of pickle onions and sauces in the back. Rather off-putting when we were having a late night fumble. ;)

I remember McFisheries - was it up by the original Virgin Records? In fact, it might have even been the site where Virgin moved into (this is the old hippie Virgin Records, rather than the modern megastore). I used to play with their plastic green fern things they displayed around the fish.

I thought it was next to where Woolies was. Before the precinct was built, I used to get off the 15 bus right outside it and you would get hit by the smell instantly. Possibly became WH Smiths?

Even further back I think that was the site of the original Sainsburys. I remember going there with my mother but I don't think it was a supermarket then - more of a conventional grocer's shop.

I remember the Lyons Tea Shop too but my best memory is of May's (later to become Owen Owen I think). My grandfather was in the Merchant Navy and when his ship came in he used to treat us to lunch in May's restaurant. I thought it was the height of sophistication - especially icecream in a silver looking bowl FFS :D

I thought it was next to where Woolies was. Before the precinct was built, I used to get off the 15 bus right outside it and you would get hit by the smell instantly. Possibly became WH Smiths?

As I recall it didn't become WH Smith as it was there at the same time. Mac Fisheries was quite narrow and was tucked inbetween WH Smith and one of the other stores but I can't remember which side and why I thought it was either next to the old M&S or BHS or close to.

Is the Potter's Heron (not sure about the apostrophe there!) still going? Back in the day it was considered "dead posh" - my nan was a silver-service waitress there (NOT just a "waitress" but a "silver-service waitress" lol!). I think it was a favourite place of Lawrie Mac's and they had the press conference for Keegan's signing there?

Maybe a complete melt-down of my faculties, but I have memories of my nan getting Keegan's autograph on a napkin from that day...

Is the Potter's Heron (not sure about the apostrophe there!) still going? Back in the day it was considered "dead posh" - my nan was a silver-service waitress there (NOT just a "waitress" but a "silver-service waitress" lol!). I think it was a favourite place of Lawrie Mac's and they had the press conference for Keegan's signing there?

Maybe a complete melt-down of my faculties, but I have memories of my nan getting Keegan's autograph on a napkin from that day...

Still there and still some silver service.

I remember the Wendy House in the corner of that garden, used to be under a huge willow tree. Quite a big garden too, shame they knocked it all down and built flats there.

Redondo Saint - I remember the one on Moorhill Road too near Telegraph Road but that one was up a tree.

What's the name of the pub, also considered very posh years ago, 'twixt Twyford and Fair Oak close to Marwell? The restaurant overlooked a lake.

The Fishers Pond?

Still there, few refurbishments over the years but still good food. Well, it is again now since the last one.

The Fishers Pond?

Still there, few refurbishments over the years but still good food. TWell, it is again now since the last one.

That's the one. Thank you.

I remember as a mere slip of a thing being quite overwhelmed by it, never having been anywhere quite so classy - being working class an' all that :)