Southampton Nostalgia...

SW11_Saint

Just found out why Pound Tree Road was so named

In 1770 an act of Parliament set up a body of men called the Improvement Commissioners with powers to pave and clean the main streets of Southampton They also towed away carts blocking the streets of Southampton. They were chained to a tree known as the pound tree and the owner had to pay a fine to get them back.

Bloody clampers even in those days

I wonder if many realise that Bitterne, Sholing, Woolston, Weston, Peartree, Bassett and Swaythling only became part of Southampton in 1920, Millbrook, Redbridge, Harefield and part of Thornhill in 1954.

It was only after 1929 that a toll was no longer charged to travel across Northam bridge.

I remember a TV series called (I think) "Target" starring Patrick Mower which was set in and around Southampton. I vaguely remember a car chase around The Bargate. Anyone remember this or is it just me!!

No, you're correct and one episode was shot by the Dell car park and old Saints shop. I think it may have been a BBC series but only lasted for 1 or 2 seasons.

Felt quite sad and nostalgic driving over Northam Bridge yesterday, seeing the old Southern/TVS/Meridian studios completely flattened. Funnily enough made me nostalgic over the big banana.

I wonder if many realise that Bitterne, Sholing, Woolston, Weston, Peartree, Bassett and Swaythling only became part of Southampton in 1920, Millbrook, Redbridge, Harefield and part of Thornhill in 1954.

Presumably they were under Hampshire County Council until then?

Or maybe Weston was under P*"ts#~u!h? ;)

I am glad you never quoted the full name of the P word :)

Blimey Ron does that mean we will eventually be forced back to our spiritual home.I'm not fond of caravans.

She is still there although her husband died a year or two back.

Many years ago the pub was run by twin sisters with their respectives other halves. I think they were identical twins. Anyone with more info? They used old coach seats in one bar and, at Christmas time, would string wire across the room, well above head height, and suspend tree branches entwined with Christmas lights on them above the wire. I always wondered how the place never went up in smoke!

• 2 months later...
Do you mean the house on Moorhill rd near Telegraph rd West End?

I think it's still there...

Redondo Saint - I remember the one on Moorhill Road too near Telegraph Road but that one was up a tree.

i only saw the Moorhill Road one for the first time about 10 years ago, but i'm sure i would've loved that treehouse too had i seen it when i was a kid. It is still there btw! :)

drove past there today and the house is being knocked down!!:( mind you, i bet that land is worth a pretty penny,eh!:smt119

I think Glen Eyre used to get it from all sides as you were in the middle. Getting off with Glen Eyre girls was seen as a victory for our lads (given we didn't have any of our own!) and used to rile the Glen Eyre lads...

As a Hampton Park lad we viewed St Georges an catholic church going non-entities... but I accept that Glen Eyre fell between the two.

A few frosty days on Burgess Road were had.

There was one lad in my year who ended up at HP having been expelled from both St Georges and Glen Eyre. He was in my form at HP so I made a note to self to stay close! We got on fine!

There used to be a cafe on Portswood Road, just up from the Talking Heads I think. Used to go there with my dad on Saturdays and get a Coke or 7-UP, in the classic bottles, and then up to the shops for a DC comic or a Commando book.

It is still there, and back in 1994 I lived just over the road from it!! Looks rubbish but holds a lot of memories, and I am suprised it is still going!!

It is still there, and back in 1994 I lived just over the road from it!! Looks rubbish but holds a lot of memories, and I am suprised it is still going!!

Jackpot Cafe.

Was walking past just two weeks ago on our way to Portswood, and nostalgia kicked in. Mrs had a bacon sarnie and as I couldn;t choose between the options I plumped for THe Herman! A veritable feast that just had to be tackled for old times sake.

Unfortunately it was an over-cooked greasy mess, it really was disgusting. One of those meals that you know it really is not worth sending back. "Foul" would be an understatement.

When it was brought out the chef (haha) called over to us and just nodded at the plates on he counter. "Yes please mate" I said, "Here you are then" he said walking back to his wall of microwavs. I absolutely love fry ups, but due to having to keep an eye on my cholesterol I only have them as a rare treat. I ate almost every bite as I knew that another will not pass my lips for a good few months. One thing is for sure though, it won't be another 'Herman'.

They should re-name it a 'germ un' imho.

Lived in Swaythling for a while. Went there often. I've seen Eric Martin & Jim Steele in there.

For my sins I grew up on the Flower Estate, and did not turn out to bad. Used to play for the black cat, which is now a Mc Donalds I think.

Remember walking up the M27 the week before it was opened!

Jackpot Cafe.

Was walking past just two weeks ago on our way to Portswood, and nostalgia kicked in. Mrs had a bacon sarnie and as I couldn;t choose between the options I plumped for THe Herman! A veritable feast that just had to be tackled for old times sake.

Unfortunately it was an over-cooked greasy mess, it really was disgusting. One of those meals that you know it really is not worth sending back. "Foul" would be an understatement.

When it was brought out the chef (haha) called over to us and just nodded at the plates on he counter. "Yes please mate" I said, "Here you are then" he said walking back to his wall of microwavs. I absolutely love fry ups, but due to having to keep an eye on my cholesterol I only have them as a rare treat. I ate almost every bite as I knew that another will not pass my lips for a good few months. One thing is for sure though, it won't be another 'Herman'.

They should re-name it a 'germ un' imho.

That is it Jackpot Cafe, which it is has not look about it that makes you think you have hit the jackpot. Which again the question comes up, how has it stayed open so long where others have fallen?

That is it Jackpot Cafe, which it is has not look about it that makes you think you have hit the jackpot. Which again the question comes up, how has it stayed open so long where others have fallen?

Has had a couple of different owners, used to meet their on a Sunday morning for all the talk of the night before then progressed to Solo's opposite town quay as they came out with an equally gut busting dish, all in the days before we could pronounce cholesterol let alone spell it.

Sundays were: 10am breakfast, 12-3 pub...look for a lock in or balloon/steam or any other festival that has a beer tent between 3 & 5, Rugby club at 5-7ish then back to pub then onto social club till closing then a kebab/curry then bed not much before midnight, up at 5 for work.

Now, can't do the breakfast, can't do the drinking, can't do the curry and need to be in bed at least 7 hours before due to get up, getting older stinks !!

He was when I left Southampton in 2006!

Came home to Southampton for Xmas/ New Year ended up down in some Student Bar that had once been a Bank! got rat arsed,next day told my Mum and Brothers that I thought I had encountered the "Laughing Paki" outside Holy Rood, they reckoned I had been on the Gin.I am certain it was him after looking at his vid on youtube.

Also, on a TV theme - there just MUST be a poster or two who appeared on 'Runaround' or 'The Saturday Banana'?? Come on admit it?

I was on Saturday Banana and won on the runaround game(was on SB before it got its own series)! Bill Oddie and a young Susan Tulley presented the show, Robin Gibb was the guest on the show that day. Was gutted the prize wasn't a "chopper" bike that week, as it usually was, but I got a new TV games consol, which I'd never seen before! Became popular around the Warren for a while then!

My 2 brothers(they are a few years older than me) would get home from the pub then play pong all night on there, when I got up I wasn't allowed to use it in case it left lines on the tv!

Do you mean the house on Moorhill rd near Telegraph rd West End?

I think it's still there...

Being a Harefield boy myself. Yes, that house is still there sits on West End road at the corner of Chalk hill, The Mayoress of Southampton used to live there in the 70's think her name was Mary Ward, though not sure.

Remember Broomfield and Gatehouse cycle shop in commercial road, used to breed and sell budgies in their garden. Broomfields daugher Gillian was my first ever g/f. Also the Sir John Barleycorn best pint of Boiler in town Brickwoods forest brown.

Can anyone confirm the current status of takeaways in the Bitterne Park Triangle? There used to be one good chippy run by a Greek (I think) family. Really nice people.

The 'laughing Paki' is the one who started a fight with me when I declined to put some money in his hat, I believe.

X-Ray Specs on a kids programme - fantastic! I loved that album (Germ Free Adolesence), esp "Identity", what a classic.

This leads me on to another topic which might fit this thread - music of the day. Now I know that every generation thinks their era is the best, but really growing up with Punk, New Wave, Electro, two tone, and some top soul music too was just incredible. Give me that soundtrack to my youth any day vs. the safe sanitised and, let's face it, BORING, "R'n'B" that kids grow up with these days...

...discuss!

Erm, no. I think it's safe to say the music of your generation is 1000000000000000000000000000000x100x better than the music of my generation!! Oh if I could go back in time it would definitely be back to the late Seventies/Early Eighties.

Erm, no. I think it's safe to say the music of your generation is 1000000000000000000000000000000x100x better than the music of my generation!! Oh if I could go back in time it would definitely be back to the late Seventies/Early Eighties.

Trust me - you don't! Most of it was complete tosh!! I remember seeing the JoBoxers (sp?) at Southampton Uni around then and thinking they were one of the better bands... Over the years your mind blanks out the rubbish and you think every song was a classic (you'll do the same in 20 years time!). For example I have "Chart Hits 81" in front of me (my wife's, I hasten to add) and of the musical delights on offer as the "big" hits of the year are:

Pretend - Alvin Stardust

You'll Never Know - Hi-Gloss

Prisoner - Sheila B. Devotion

Birdie Song - The Tweets

Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart) - Ottowan

In And Out Of Love - Imagination

Heart And Soul - Exile

Piece Of The Action - Bucks Fizz

Lock Up Your Daughters - Slade

Can Can - Bad Manners

Hooked On Classics - The RPO

The s$@t we had to tolerate back in the day!!

Trust me - you don't! Most of it was complete tosh!! I remember seeing the JoBoxers (sp?) at Southampton Uni around then and thinking they were one of the better bands... Over the years your mind blanks out the rubbish and you think every song was a classic (you'll do the same in 20 years time!). For example I have "Chart Hits 81" in front of me (my wife's, I hasten to add) and of the musical delights on offer as the "big" hits of the year are:

Pretend - Alvin Stardust

You'll Never Know - Hi-Gloss

Prisoner - Sheila B. Devotion

Birdie Song - The Tweets

Hands Up (Give Me Your Heart) - Ottowan

In And Out Of Love - Imagination

Heart And Soul - Exile

Piece Of The Action - Bucks Fizz

Lock Up Your Daughters - Slade

Can Can - Bad Manners

Hooked On Classics - The RPO

The s$@t we had to tolerate back in the day!!

Ah yes I know there was a lot of tosh back then, but you also had punk, ska, mod revival, oi!, two tone, new wave, and all that great stuff that I listen to now!! Would be nice to actually experience it first hand, instead of listening to 30 years on!

Hampton Park were you? I was Glen Eyre....:smt075

In addition I remember It's A Knockout came to the Sports Centre a couple of times and set up shop on the athletics field.

There used to be the Atherley Cinema in Shirley (now a bingo hall).

And don't forget the Lord Louis at the old Green Bus Depot.

Manhattans Night Club in St Mary's Street.

Mike's Burger Van.

I'll have to come back to this....

I was also at Glen Eyre

The 'laughing Paki' is the one who started a fight with me when I declined to put some money in his hat, I believe.

I saw him on Tuesday night before the match outside St Marys Sports Hall...although he looked really miserable.....must be an age thing.

Grumpy Old Paki doesn't have the same ring to it.

Before MLG gets up on his soapbox this name was a term of endearment to the guy who has been know that for over 30 years!

Can anyone confirm the current status of takeaways in the Bitterne Park Triangle? There used to be one good chippy run by a Greek (I think) family. Really nice people.

As someone else has mentioned Andy has died, but the family still run it. There is also Charlies chippy(best chippy in so'ton) , a sandwhich bar, 1 indian takeaway, 1 indian Restaurant, 2 chinese takeaways (including the Golden River which has been there for at least 30 years), 1 chinese resturant, a greasy spoon, coffee shop and one takaway pizza place. I don't think I've missed any. :D

The old dear still bashes out songs on the piano although she now gets some support from somebody who looks like he sang with the Wurzels. Her old man had the pub before her and she can remember the yanks drinking in there and giving out sweets. It is now a Fullers pub. The ploughmans remains on the menu

"'e be up yon wurzel tree an' oi be aarfter 'e.

'e sees oi, an' oi sees 'e buggered if oi don't 'av 'e

Wi' a great big stick oi'll knock 'im down,

Blackbird, oi'll 'ave 'ee

Dalla la la la la, Dalla la la la la - 'ow's yer faather, all roight?"

The Music Man

Cambourne Hill

She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain

Washed down with 4 pints of GBH, and rounds of incredible ham/cheese sandwiches (with pickled onions)!! I've travelled the world, but doubt if I've spent better evenings anywhere - New York, Sydney, Bangkok, Amsterdam, Braishfield!

Anyone who attended King Edwards in the late 70's would have got excited had they been with me last week in Posrtswood.

In on eof the charity shops, I was sifting through a box of albums (vinyl) and came across a mint choral recording with a host of their little angels on the cover.

I wanted to but it and offer it on here but mrs h dragged me away. It's probably still there if any one on here thinks they might feature, the shop opposite the spanish food resaurant.