I've been pretty impressed with Lowe.

hypochondriac

Well what does everyone else think? Since he came back, I fully expected the worst. His plan seemingly made no sense and his choice of manager was very odd. I sat back and waited for Lowe to take centre stage again, issuing pathetic statements and patronising OS comments. We have had a few to be honest but then we also had similar things under Crouch and Wilde. Just recently Rupes has taken a back seat. I haven't heard much from him other than football related comments.

After the bible passages and cringeworthy quotes of his old regime, I have thus far been pleasantly surprised. It seems that he has learnt some lessons at the very least. That can only be a good thing for our club.

I guess it will ultimately depend on whether we avoid relegation this season. If we are relegated and it becomes clear that the youngsters are not up to it and JP was the wrong manager, then Lowe ultimately takes the lions share of responsibility.

If on the other hand we do well and finish in a secure midtable possition, then he will take a lot of credit for it.

Well what does everyone else think? Since he came back, I fully expected the worst. His plan seemingly made no sense and his choice of manager was very odd. I sat back and waited for Lowe to take centre stage again, issuing pathetic statements and patronising OS comments. We have had a few to be honest but then we also had similar things under Crouch and Wilde. Just recently Rupes has taken a back seat. I haven't heard much from him other than football related comments.

After the bible passages and cringeworthy quotes of his old regime, I have thus far been pleasantly surprised. It seems that he has learnt some lessons at the very least. That can only be a good thing for our club.

As with the team, I said at the start of the season that I won't make any judgements until AFTER the loan window closes or at the end of September. Much can still go wrong with the finances and the squad in the next few weeks.

As for Lowe, some VERY wise heads who know him well all made the same strong suggestions. So far he appears to be heeding that advice, but also we should not mistake accepting wisdom for expecting him not at some point to want to say something along the lines of "I told you so".

So let's wait and see, and let us only be arrogant enough to keep the advice to him along the lines of "it's a long season, it needs 110% effort, focus and commitment, and above all, let the team do the talking on the pitch" please.

(Oh and letting him know that negotiating a takeover by a RESPECTABLE Sovereign Wealth fund would be the way back to "almost" full redemption by the fans - as long as we sign Cesc Fabregas, Theo and Bale with the petty cash!)

I still think he's a horrible over-rated tw*t. Patronising comments, pathetic statements and incompetence will be flowing some time soon, you can be sure of that.

PS have you seen the table recently?

Over-rated? Hardly. I don't think it is possible for most people to have a lower opinion of the man! I certainly would prefer him not to be involved. I'm just saying he is behaving much better than I thought he would.

I've already stated that I would rather be relegated enjoying the performances we have had this season than go through all of last season and feel like I've just wasted a season ticket.

I guess it will ultimately depend on whether we avoid relegation this season. If we are relegated and it becomes clear that the youngsters are not up to it and JP was the wrong manager, then Lowe ultimately takes the lions share of responsibility.

If on the other hand we do well and finish in a secure midtable possition, then he will take a lot of credit for it.

That's very true. I would have to give Lowe credit so far though for restoring my pride in SFC and giving me my moneys worth! Despite losing to Birmingham for example, I came away feeling satisfied with our performance and happy that we didn't just roll over and die. If we get relegated doing that then so be it. At least we have a team of youngsters to be proud of again.

As with the team, I said at the start of the season that I won't make any judgements until AFTER the loan window closes or at the end of September. Much can still go wrong with the finances and the squad in the next few weeks.

As for Lowe, some VERY wise heads who know him well all made the same strong suggestions. So far he appears to be heeding that advice, but also we should not mistake accepting wisdom for expecting him not at some point to want to say something along the lines of "I told you so".

So let's wait and see, and let us only be arrogant enough to keep the advice to him along the lines of "it's a long season, it needs 110% effort, focus and commitment, and above all, let the team do the talking on the pitch" please.

(Oh and letting him know that negotiating a takeover by a RESPECTABLE Sovereign Wealth fund would be the way back to "almost" full redemption by the fans - as long as we sign Cesc Fabregas, Theo and Bale with the petty cash!)

Well all I can say is I hope he gets the opportunity to!

I notice some are saying if we go down he should take the lions share of the blame.I agree the manager he chose was a risk, but I have yet to see a plan by anyone that could be implimented with our financial predicament.

In some ways if we make the PL or or go down, neither can be seen as a complete justification or a mistake.RL was forced to this by finances, although it was something he wanted to try a few seasons back.

I will myself take it if we go down 20%will be RL's fault if we make it to the play offs 50% will be to his credit.

Well all I can say is I hope he gets the opportunity to!

Careful...... don't put a chink in that armour and give him any ideas

Not yet and probably not for a couple of years:-)

You can see it now - How I changed the world of Football - The Rupert Biography by FF....

Later chaps, later....

People apparently rate him for his financial management ability - I don't.

I wasn't trying to have a debate on Lowe's value to SFC. I was merely pointing out that he has done a lot better than I (and I suspect a fair few others) have expected so far, both with his remodelling of the team (giving us something to be proud of) and with his own behaviour.

Careful...... don't put a chink in that armour and give him any ideas

Not yet and probably not for a couple of years:-)

You can see it now - How I changed the world of Football - The Rupert Biography by FF....

Later chaps, later....

Now that would be worth buying! I would find it fairly amusing if Rupert does gain success from this though. As he has been telling everyone, he knows something which all established football people do not! Maybe history would record him as a true visionary?

I notice some are saying if we go down he should take the lions share of the blame.I agree the manager he chose was a risk, but I have yet to see a plan by anyone that could be implimented with our financial predicament.

In some ways if we make the PL or or go down, neither can be seen as a complete justification or a mistake.RL was forced to this by finances, although it was something he wanted to try a few seasons back.

I will myself take it if we go down 20%will be RL's fault if we make it to the play offs 50% will be to his credit.

Many people seem to forget that relegation isn't a financially viable option either. If you sell pretty much the whole first team squad and replace them with kids, you are leaving yourself massively exposed to that risk.

No that is rubbish (Um Pahars will love this post!) Rupert had many options (one of which was to keep Pearson on). He chose to go down this route so he is fully deserving of criticism if we get relegated.

Many people seem to forget that relegation isn't a financially viable option either. If you sell pretty much the whole first team squad and replace them with kids, you are leaving yourself massively exposed to that risk.
Again I can only point out to the financial costs and I assume that is the reason.The higher pauid 'stars' have performance fees etc and so perhaos that is why they are not turning out.I doubt it is anything more sinister than money that the club cant afford in those contract add ons.

I wasn't trying to have a debate on Lowe's value to SFC. I was merely pointing out that he has done a lot better than I (and I suspect a fair few others) have expected so far, both with his remodelling of the team (giving us something to be proud of) and with his own behaviour.

I agree about his taking a back seat; after a few pieces on the OS - remember the Dyer's new contract one? - I thought we'd be seeing Lowe's grinning face plastered all over the site, plus innumerable quotes and so forth. But those fears are assuaged, for the time being at least. Long may it last.

No that is rubbish (Um Pahars will love this post!) Rupert had many options (one of which was to keep Pearson on). He chose to go down this route so he is fully deserving of criticism if we get relegated.
Yo umay think its rubbish and I dont a flying ###k if UmP does either. NP was contracted until the end of the season and the option on him was not taken up.He has the best squad in the Div 1 and most of the players are upper CCC quality. NP kept us up by the skin of our teeth, and how we got there is of differing op9inions, he did though employ a keeper and two centre backs( I do note we kept Perry) who were on wages we couldnt in the long run afford. Add to that we dont know what he required from the club to carry on and we also do not know what RL demanded of him.

The fact is we were brassic and please tell me how you would have cut the costs and stem the 100-300k a week losses (depending who you take your figures from)

A leopard never changes his spots and I don't think RL ever thinks he has been wrong about the way he ran this club in the past. I think the reason we haven't heard his voice very much is because he no longer tries to give the impression of being fan friendly. He has set his stall out with JP and the youngsters (no choice really) and to hell with anyone else. A bit Thatcheresque really but he wouldn't thank me for the comparison seing his politics are even more to the right than the "iron lady" (or at least they were back in 1997).

Yo umay think its rubbish and I dont a flying ###k if UmP does either. NP was contracted until the end of the season and the option on him was not taken up.He has the best squad in the Div 1 and most of the players are upper CCC quality. NP kept us up by the skin of our teeth, and how we got there is of differing op9inions, he did though employ a keeper and two centre backs( I do note we kept Perry) who were on wages we couldnt in the long run afford. Add to that we dont know what he required from the club to carry on and we also do not know what RL demanded of him.

The fact is we were brassic and please tell me how you would have cut the costs and stem the 100-300k a week losses (depending who you take your figures from)

Probably done similar things to Lowe except that he could easily have kept Pearson on (assuming there were not any demands Pearson made that we are unaware about.) Many people who have spoken to Pearson said that he was fully aware of the financial restraints for the new season. It could well have been that Pearson was put in charge of these kids and actually got better results. Personally I like what Lowe has done and I'm glad he's gone down this route. He could easily have done things differently yet kept costs down. Look at other clubs in a similar position to ourselves, I don't see many of them going down the route we have chosen!

I agree about his taking a back seat; after a few pieces on the OS - remember the Dyer's new contract one? - I thought we'd be seeing Lowe's grinning face plastered all over the site, plus innumerable quotes and so forth. But those fears are assuaged, for the time being at least. Long may it last.

Cheers. This is the sort of view I was looking for when I started this thread.

I think he's done pretty well. He is good at getting top money for players out and getting good players in for little. Not identifying them, just sorting prices and wages out. More than anything paying more than we had was what was killing us under Wilde and Crouch.

ps the Avatar is an experiment to see whether people respond to my posts more or less depending on the avatar. At the moment it seems I got loads of posts with the four bare nubiles, a lot fewer with 'RL is Hip' and almost none with Hitler wearing headphones.

It seems Lowe is more popular than Hitler but less so than four semi naked sex goddesses. Who'd have guessed it?

Edited by buctootim

Originally Posted by nickh viewpost.gif

Everyone is aware of the risk that is involved, but what few fail to grasp is that there was no real alternative, such is the magnitude of our financial problems. Our only chance of getting out of this is to develop the youth, even though that may mean selling some on to keep us afloat, because of the failure to get enough savings / finance from the senior players.

The one thing I believe we have all benefited from is the restraint on comments from all parties, Lowe, Wilde, Crouch and McM.

I feel we have had some help along the way to get Schneiderlin and I would guess at Wilde doing something similar along the lines of Crouch with Andrew Davies.

Everyone is aware of the risk that is involved, but what few fail to grasp is that there was no real alternative, such is the magnitude of our financial problems. Our only chance of getting out of this is to develop the youth, even though that may mean selling some on to keep us afloat, because of the failure to get enough savings / finance from the senior players.

The one thing I believe we have all benefited from is the restraint on comments from all parties, Lowe, Wilde, Crouch and McM.

I feel we have had some help along the way to get Schneiderlin and I would guess at Wilde doing something similar along the lines of Crouch with Andrew Davies.

ARGGGGH You are WRONG! There IS an alternative. Tell me which clubs under similar circumstances as ourselves have attempted this?

Sorry? Not sure what you are saying there but being DD you will no doubt be disagreeing with me. It is obvious that the path we have chosen was not the only way to proceed. That is clear. How is this even up for debate?

It true - we basically had two choices. 1 go for a team of big, cheap and technically limited cloggers who play well drilled long ball - which works for some in this division but will never keep you up in the prem 2. build up over a few years with skilled but cheap youngsters.

I know which I prefer.

It true - we basically had two choices. 1 go for a team of big, cheap and technically limited cloggers who play well drilled long ball - which works for some in this division but will never keep you up in the prem 2. build up over a few years with skilled but cheap youngsters.

I know which I prefer.

We could also have gone for a blend of the two (I suppose we have done that to an extent this year but more youth orientated.) I too prefer the choice we have taken but to say we had no other choice is totally incorrect.

We could also have gone for a blend of the two (I suppose we have done that to an extent this year but more youth orientated.) I too prefer the choice we have taken but to say we had no other choice is totally incorrect.

maybe pearson was not prepared to let the likes euell be replaced with homes etc...

isnt 99% of comments on here..

isnt that what we are doing now?

But we could have replaced him with someone else and replaced the likes of Euell with cheaper players (maybe more aggressive like Derby adopted a few years back) and tried to battle our way to success without the emphasis on youth. Do you honestly believe that Lowe's way was the only option?

But we could have replaced him with someone else and replaced the likes of Euell with cheaper players (maybe more aggressive like Derby adopted a few years back) and tried to battle our way to success without the emphasis on youth. Do you honestly believe that Lowe's way was the only option?

ok...we could have replaced him with anyone really, you have to choose..

most of those we have got have hot cost us a great deal have they...

and as for the last point...of course not, but WHO ELSE IS THERE to take the mantle and try and steer this club from the brink...WHO ELSE..???

and as for the last point...of course not, but WHO ELSE IS THERE to take the mantle and try and steer this club from the brink...WHO ELSE..???

I don't want anyone else, have you read my posts in this thread? I am just trying to dispel the myth that Lowe had no other choice.

got to agree at least rupert makes decissions,good or bad, but at least we now have some plan for the long term and hopefully get the club in a good shape for some investor to buy out rupert,wilde and crouch.

ARGGGGH You are WRONG! There IS an alternative. Tell me which clubs under similar circumstances as ourselves have attempted this?
Tell me other clubs close to administration who have such a good youth system? RL has taken the bull by the horns and taken a brave decision. The romantic opinion people have of NP does astound me. I dont think he was a bad choice but he did flirt with relegation with us.He was helped by the fact we looked doomed after the D&G time and his first results.He made a couple of good loan signings ,something we cant afford now and then stayed up on the last day. Doing the same thing did that make Merrington,Ball, or Dave Jones great managers in our eyes? I dont think so.

TRhe debate of course is not about NP, but I dont beleive he would have been a cost effective manager in the situation we are in.Leicester will no doubt walk their league but it wont be down to wheeling and dealing on a shoestring.

Tell me other clubs close to administration who have such a good youth system? RL has taken the bull by the horns and taken a brave decision. The romantic opinion people have of NP does astound me. I dont think he was a bad choice but he did flirt with relegation with us.He was helped by the fact we looked doomed after the D&G time and his first results.He made a couple of good loan signings ,something we cant afford now and then stayed up on the last day. Doing the same thing did that make Merrington,Ball, or Dave Jones great managers in our eyes? I dont think so.

TRhe debate of course is not about NP, but I dont beleive he would have been a cost effective manager in the situation we are in.Leicester will no doubt walk their league but it wont be down to wheeling and dealing on a shoestring.

The reason I was impressed by Pearson was that he took on a very hard job, we were in free fall and he was fire-fighting from day 1. For a rookie I thought it was a very good achievement to keep us up. He looked to me like he was improving and making better descisions with every match.

Pearson did very well to keep us up with the clueless bunch he inheritted. Why can't you acknowledge that?! You struggle to give him credit for his great start at Leicester. Strange view point. You say he has the better squad in the 1st division but the same could be said 4 Saints post Premiership relegation (when we floated just above the bottom) with Burley & look where Burley's demotivational & disasterous tenure got us!!!

Tell you what, since you're a keen advocate for this 'we're broke/selling' policy. Let's wait until Jan, see what clubs want our only promising youth potentials, then play the stewards, pay 'em a tiny wage to cut costs..it's getting that way (in our defence alone)...forget about the competency & competition of the squad!! Makes sense to some eh?!

I will be more than presently surprised when he shows some humility and apologizes for his past mistakes. What has he done exactly thats so good?

So it was a choice it was not forced upon him. Thanks, that's all I wanted.