What the stats tell me...

Legod Third Coming

Once the team had got going this season, we were the 2nd in the league in October, gaining 13 points second only to Millwall on goal difference.

We then entered what many people are calling a run of bad/poor form...

In November we picked up 4 points - but this came from three games compared to many teams who played four. The best performance for November was Huddersfield picking up 9 points from their four games.

In December we were 3rd in the League, with 12 points compared to Leeds 14and Norwich with 13 (we played 6 games, as did Leeds, Norwich played only 5which puts their performance into perspective).

In January, we were 8th - achieving 5 points from just three games, while Norwich were top with 18 from six games - another superb performance.

In February, we were 9th, achiving 8 points from our four games. Huddersfield were top with 13 points from seven games...

What this says to me is that our cup runs, welcome as they were, did us absolutely no favours in the league. Whether our momentum or the necessity to chop and change the team (with cup tied players), we just didn't get enough game time in the league with 'one' team playing together - in some cases just three league games in a calender month.

And while many people question whether we have won enough league games (GS!!) this is how we fare against the P/O contenders:

Charlton have won 17 from 34

Colchester have won 18 from 33

Swindon 16 from 32

Huddersfield 16 from 33

Millwall 15 from 33

SAINTS 13 from 31

So I would imagine we will catch at least one of those teams on games won, possibly three/four of them...

Only Swindon, Charlton and Leeds have lost fewer games.

That's a good resume LTC and I agree that there is still a chance albeit a slim one. Another thing to remember is that some teams above us may well draw many of their games against promotion rivals. A spread of remaining points will help us. The key as always is to concentrate on what we can influence - the next match. Get that right by getting some consistency to the team and we will have a chance.

Even though I don't think we'll make it, I think it's pretty damn good that we're even talking about the possibility, when you take into account the -10 and the bad start we had.

Alot of posters on here back in September would have taken survival! (not me fwiw) - so it's nice to be ending a season with a slim chance of achieving something many of us thought was impossible back in september.

shows what a decent job pard's has done IMO.

Even though I don't think we'll make it, I think it's pretty damn good that we're even talking about the possibility, when you take into account the -10 and the bad start we had.

Alot of posters on here back in September would have taken survival! (not me fwiw) - so it's nice to be ending a season with a slim chance of achieving something many of us thought was impossible back in september.

A very valid point and agree 100%.

I agree but the first few games were dire which effectively ruined any realistic chance of getting to the Play Offs but the season has been very good since September.

Once the team had got going this season, we were the 2nd in the league in October, gaining 13 points second only to Millwall on goal difference.

We then entered what many people are calling a run of bad/poor form...

In November we picked up 4 points - but this came from three games compared to many teams who played four. The best performance for November was Huddersfield picking up 9 points from their four games.

In December we were 3rd in the League, with 12 points compared to Leeds 14and Norwich with 13 (we played 6 games, as did Leeds, Norwich played only 5which puts their performance into perspective).

In January, we were 8th - achieving 5 points from just three games, while Norwich were top with 18 from six games - another superb performance.

In February, we were 9th, achiving 8 points from our four games. Huddersfield were top with 13 points from seven games...

What this says to me is that our cup runs, welcome as they were, did us absolutely no favours in the league. Whether our momentum or the necessity to chop and change the team (with cup tied players), we just didn't get enough game time in the league with 'one' team playing together - in some cases just three league games in a calender month.

And while many people question whether we have won enough league games (GS!!) this is how we fare against the P/O contenders:

Charlton have won 17 from 34

Colchester have won 18 from 33

Swindon 16 from 32

Huddersfield 16 from 33

Millwall 15 from 33

SAINTS 13 from 31

So I would imagine we will catch at least one of those teams on games won, possibly three/four of them...

Only Swindon, Charlton and Leeds have lost fewer games.

That's a good synopsis Legod, cheers.

However, if, at the start of this season (given that we were under new control, we'd just got a new manager, we had the bare bones of a first team after 'asset' stripping and a 10 point deficit to make up) someone had asked me would I like to be in a Wembley final and also looking at the possibility of a playoff place, thay'd be missing a hand and I'd be facing cannibalism charges.

Yes, it would be brilliant if we could get there but personally I'm heaving a huge sigh of relief that we are making an impact now and I fully expect us to romp home next season.

Anyway, let's give Huddresfield a massive scare tomorrow and get everyone else at the top looking over their shoulders at us. COYR!!!!

We will not make the play offs. Get over it.

Agreed

We have dropped far too many points against Teams SINCE Pardew has had a decent Squad

Play Offs WERE possible and whichever way you cut it, Pardew HAS screwed up

After the JPT Day Out, reality WILL kick in with a lot of people IMHO

IE DIVISION ONE AGAIN FOR NEXT SEASON:cool:

Agreed We have dropped far too many points against Teams SINCE Pardew has had a decent Squad Play Offs WERE possible and whichever way you cut it, Pardew HAS screwed up After the JPT Day Out, reality WILL kick in with a lot of people IMHO IE DIVISION ONE AGAIN FOR NEXT SEASON:cool:

I hope for YOUR sake YOU are NOT a coach or leader of people!! ONLY when its MATHMATICALLY impossible for us to MAKE the play-offs should ANYONE give up. IF Pardew had this attitude then you'd probably slag him off for giving up!!!

We can only not get to the play offs when its mathematically impossible.

5-1 Walsall

2-0 Norwich

On paper we should win most our remaining games.

Who knows but the fat lady has yet to sing.

It's a shame that so many games have been played in cowfields rather than on paper ;)