Jaidi + Fonte = the new Svensson + Lundekvam ?

alpine_saint

We held on to a 1-0 win yesterday, on the back of improving frequency of clean sheets. Saints used to be guaranteed to draw games when 1-0 up for a large section of the game (or even lose...).

We clearly have clicked at the back, just wondering, from those closely watching, if they think we are hitting the highs of the Svensson / Lundekvam central pairing from what now seems like a millenia ago.

Of course they aren't hitting their heights! :D

Svensson and Lundekvam at their peak were the centre back pairing for a top 10 Premiership side and both current internationals for reasonably large European footballing nations.

Fonte and Jaidi would be a good pairing in the Championship but no where near Svensson and Lundekvam circa 2002/03.

Posts like this show why Alpine needs to move back to the UK and watch some football. ;)

Edited by Matthew Le God

Of course they aren't hitting their heights! :D

Svensson and Lundekvam at their peak were the centre back pairing for a top 10 Premiership side and both current internationals for reasonably large European footballing nations.

Fonte and Jaidi would be a good pairing in the Championship but no where near Svensson and Lundekvam circa 2002/03.

There is two ways of looking at it; the impact on the team performance, and the absolute quality comparison.

I am of no doubt that the two pairs are on a par in the first case. In the second case, I think zou are being a bit unfair. Describing Lundekvam as top quality and Fonte as lower quality seems a bit daft.

There is two ways of looking at it; the impact on the team performance, and the absolute quality comparison.

I am of no doubt that the two pairs are on a par in the first case. In the second case, I think zou are being a bit unfair. Describing Lundekvam as top quality and Fonte as lower quality seems a bit daft.

Fonte isn't low quality. I think he would be potentially good enough for a lower Premiership side. Jaidi couldn't cope in the Premiership anymore due to his lack of pace and poor distribution. However put the ball in the air like Leeds did for most of the match and Jaidi won't lose a header in this league.

Jaidi was immense yesterday and probably my MOM but he's a long way from being a top level championship defender, let alone a good prem one. Fonte on the other hand looks pure class, his positioning is outstanding and he reads the game well.

I still think we're a little lacking in a leader at the back, a couple of times yesterday we were caught out by the lack of conversation between the back five and we need someone to step up and start bossing them (like Doddy used to do).

Still given the defenses in the last few years i'm pleased as **** by what we've got now and with a couple of decent signings in the close season (cover for full back would be nice) we could be really strong there.

a great partnership, long term it isn't the answer though. (sadly)

I'd think we will probably manage 1 more season out of Jaidi, but i guess Seaborne is being groomed to take over from him in the long-run.

can't say I've seen too much of him to make a judgment though.

but at the moment, they are the best CB partnership we've had since the prem IMO - obviously we're a few levels down, but they still have a really good understanding when playing together.

We held on to a 1-0 win yesterday, on the back of improving frequency of clean sheets. Saints used to be guaranteed to draw games when 1-0 up for a large section of the game (or even lose...).

We clearly have clicked at the back, just wondering, from those closely watching, if they think we are hitting the highs of the Svensson / Lundekvam central pairing from what now seems like a millenia ago.

I think Jaidi and Fonte are very good in League 1 and if each was in his prime they would be as good as Svensson and Lundekvam possibly.

Was always going to take a while, when you consider that of the back four that started yesterday, Dan Harding is the longest serving of them.

I know certain people have had their doubts over 'gelling' and whether or not this actually affects footballers, but I feel especially in defence, players need to get to know each other, how they play, and where they will be etc. This ultimately can only come through game time.

Hopefully yesterdays shut out can go some way to prove this

Jaidi was frustrating yesterday, an absolute powerhouse, but I don't think I've ever seen him take a first touch!!!

Every time he cleared a ball it was aimless and usually went into touch or to the opposition. Plus he's got a bit of a 50p head.

Oh and he gives away some absolutely needless freekicks.

Fonte was a bit of a hoof-merchant yesterday too, he's a brilliant centre-back but the whole ball-playing classy centreback label that some choose to stick on him is a bit OTT.

Did have one great moment though when he had a bouncing ball, facing the wrong and with Beckford up his backside but calmly flicked it over his head and collected on the other side.

They did what needed to be done on a basic level, but Becchio and Beckford looked disinterested from the 1st whistle, someone with real pace could've troubled us.

Jaidi is doing a job but his age is against him and Pards has said that it has been the signing of Dan Seaborne that has given Jaidi a boost that he needed. It is sad that good players do have to decline, but unavoidable. Expect Seaborne to be preferred alongside Fonte next season.

Jardi has been absolutely outstanding. He was exactly the same for Brum last season and played a massive part in getting them up. He has no pace , but he makes up for it with great positional play and brute force. Tremendous. I don't see why he can't do exactly the same job next season. What a signing. He'd have kept us up last year in my book. I know Lambert will win POTS, but Jardi should push him all the way.

Edited by Chez

of course,

Claus and Michael were playing when Saints were a good side in the Prem. Obviously, Fonte and Jaidi look good at this level, I'm sure Fonte will get better but Jaidi already has reached his peak as a player and even if we get back up to Prem. in the next 2-3 years he'll be on the way out. BUT yes it's good to see a sound central defence pairing.

Edited by david in sweden

Jaidi was frustrating yesterday, an absolute powerhouse, but I don't think I've ever seen him take a first touch!!!

Every time he cleared a ball it was aimless and usually went into touch or to the opposition. Plus he's got a bit of a 50p head.

Oh and he gives away some absolutely needless freekicks.

Fonte was a bit of a hoof-merchant yesterday too, he's a brilliant centre-back but the whole ball-playing classy centreback label that some choose to stick on him is a bit OTT.

Did have one great moment though when he had a bouncing ball, facing the wrong and with Beckford up his backside but calmly flicked it over his head and collected on the other side.

They did what needed to be done on a basic level, but Becchio and Beckford looked disinterested from the 1st whistle, someone with real pace could've troubled us.

I agree with your Fonte comments but not the rest. One very poor pass from Jardi yesterday early doors but after that he hardly out a foot wrong. The 50p head thing is false IMO. I've never seen anyone better in the air than him. He clears the ball miles from headers - the complete opposite to Perry - and one of the main reasons why our defence is so much better this year. Unlike Perry his headers on the whole go 30 yards forward, not straight into the air just ready for an opponeent to collect and set up another attack.

Yes one or two free kicks go against him, but I'd take that over a **** weak centre back like Perry, Lancashire, etc that we have struggled with for the lkast few seasons.

As for the disinterest thing - garbage. Beccio gave Fonte the toughest game in a Saints shirt. He went for every header and was very physical. Fonte came out on top without doubt, but I couldn't fault Beccio's effort. Beckford obviously didn't put it in, but he lives off decent throughballs and there was nothing to work from as the two centre back won everything in the air and most forward balls from them were in the air.

I think you are being way to hard on our two.

Jaidi is doing a job but his age is against him and Pards has said that it has been the signing of Dan Seaborne that has given Jaidi a boost that he needed. It is sad that good players do have to decline, but unavoidable. Expect Seaborne to be preferred alongside Fonte next season.

Your having a larf, AP would not spend 1.2M on a defender to have him on the

bench next season. Fonte is a class defender, Seaborne is still learning, surely

ultimate replacement for Jaidi, when contract finishes.

I thought Jaidi looked a little shaky at times yesterday actually, and has done for a while. His passing is wayward even when trying to be accurate, and I noticed one header V Leeds where he completely misstimed his jump and headed it straight up in the air on the edge of the 18 yard box.

Yes, it was one mistake, but sometimes that's all it takes. My point being that "he is solid 100% of the time" is not true.

and I noticed one header V Leeds where he completely misstimed his jump and headed it straight up in the air on the edge of the 18 yard box.

Yes, it was one mistake, but sometimes that's all it takes. My point being that "he is solid 100% of the time" is not true.

that describes almost every single header Perry made last season.

Jaidi and Fonte do resemble Killer and Claus very much. Like Killer, Jaidi plays the attacking defender role - he is the one who will challenge for all headers and try to win everything in the air. Like Claus, Fonte is more of a cultured defender and will 'mop up' so to speak if Jaidi is caught out or fails to win the ball.

This combination suited us very much with Killer and Claus and Jaidi and Fonte seem to be applying themselves just as well. To keep strikers like Beckford and Becchio completely out the game for 90 minutes is very impressive, even if Beckford is a diving, complaining pansey of a player (please don't anyone ever say you would like to see him in a Saints shirt, his attitude stinks!)

You have got to love Jaidi & Fonte Jaidi is a man mountain you need to go into another post code to get round him NO ONE is going to muscle him of the ball he is immense.

Fonte has a touch of class about him big and strong enough good football brain quality quality signing well done to Pards & the board for getting him.

Best of all they are working well as a pair good times ahead if we can keep these two playing week in week out

You have got to love Jaidi & Fonte Jaidi is a man mountain you need to go into another post code to get round him NO ONE is going to muscle him of the ball he is immense.

Fonte has a touch of class about him big and strong enough good football brain quality quality signing well done to Pards & the board for getting him.

Best of all they are working well as a pair good times ahead if we can keep these two playing week in week out

Although they are not in the same class (or Division) that Claus and Michael S were, they are nevertheless very impressive and the comparison is clear.

The sort of cultured sweeper role that Fonte has at the back is something that has been credited to Lawrie Mc Menemy's managerial time. (It's difficult to see the same model in any other clubs of that period) but the presence of Jahdi is similar to several " hard men " we've had in the past.

John McGrath was of course a one-off, and Jim Steele had a similar no-nonense style.

Since the start of the Prem. 1993- we had Monkou, Van Gobbel, El Khalej, Deano, and of course Michael Svensson all of whom grew up with the school motto " ...None shall pass ". They carry the right size and body weight, and were all the type of players I wouldn't like to argue with in a bus queue.

Jahdi is the latest graduate of that class, and I hope that he can stay long enough to justify it .

It's a shame that Jaidi only has at best half a season left in him. He's an absolute beast but his legs can only really take one game every 2 weeks. We're gonna have to get rid sometime next season along with Chris Perry, thats why Pardew is bedding in Seabourne, who should be the understudy to Jaidi.

Jaidi reckons he's got a good few years in him yet.

Defenders often do last longer and in our club history it's not unusual to have defenders in the 34/35 age group. They may not be quite so fast on their feet but they know how to " use their head " when facing fast young, one-footed wingers.

I'd give Jaidi one more year - at least, I can recall Jimmy Case being a handful to cope with when he was past 36 . Don't underestimate experience.

a great partnership, long term it isn't the answer though. (sadly)

I'd think we will probably manage 1 more season out of Jaidi, but i guess Seaborne is being groomed to take over from him in the long-run.

can't say I've seen too much of him to make a judgment though.

but at the moment, they are the best CB partnership we've had since the prem IMO - obviously we're a few levels down, but they still have a really good understanding when playing together.

Agree.

Jaidi of course is aging but has already proven himself at Prem level and IMO Fonte could easily play in the Prem too.

A great partnership that I hope will remain together for at least another season.