Academy

doggface

Cortese has said ultimately "a Barca model" of a squad with a high percentage of home grown players is our goal.

I know the club are re-structuring the academy in a number of ways right now, but it will take time for the "conveyor belt" to get back to it's best.

Question is other than Oxlade-Chamberlain, is anyone else close to the 1st team sqaud NOW?

Will we see some youth blooded next week if we are out of the playoff race at 5pm today?

We could of course look beyond the current Academy players.

The Sports Echo (Pink) last sunday on page 31 had a report on how Southampton Schools had reached the semi-final of the England Schools U15 Trophy for the 1st time in 25 years.

They play their s/f next Tuesday against Cambridge & District Schools and if they win that the final will be against hot favorites Liverpool Schools at Anfield. For information no Southampton side has ever reach the final before.

http://www.esfa.co.uk/competitions/?view=2009,Boys,u15b_iat,1 (Round 7).

We have a supa dupa player coming on big time and I was told this guy is the real dogs ******s. He's reaching 13/14 now but he is not far off. (gulp)

A mix between Theo and Henry was the word last year, I've known about him for 3 years now but I'm finding it hard to track him.

Anyone know more?

Cortese has said ultimately "a Barca model" of a squad with a high percentage of home grown players is our goal.

I know the club are re-structuring the academy in a number of ways right now, but it will take time for the "conveyor belt" to get back to it's best.

Question is other than Oxlade-Chamberlain, is anyone else close to the 1st team sqaud NOW?

Will we see some youth blooded next week if we are out of the playoff race at 5pm today?

White by all reports is a heck of a talent?

white lost his way after his serious injuries, he struggled to make any sort of mark at Easteligh so i can't imagine him having a future here as he's over 20 now. (i think)

shame really, he always had potential in the U18's but was just dogged by one too many injuries.

one player that has come on leeps and bounds this year though is Aaron Racine, a CB who's been a mainstay in the reserves this year. I think he's only 18, but very highly rated. (another one who's been held back by injuries in recent years)

I think most have been aware of White along time, however without wanting to write him off, his development has some what stalled over the past couple of years I would say.

Does he have a future here?, good hatrick the other week however Salisbury Reserves is hardly Leeds Utd.

I know there is a lot of very good talent coming into the young academy teams at the moment. hopefully the new investment will help in their development. i don't hold out much hope for many of our players in the latter years of the academy though. probs going to be a good 9 years before the 'conveyer belt' really swings into action. until then we'll rely on the odd oxlade-chamberlain every 3 years or so.

McNish and Ox on the bench today. I remember an article in the Pink last year with Wotte comparing McNish to a young Viera (We can only hope!!). Would love to see Racine also on the bench for a couple of games. I dont think White will make it unfortunately, too many injurie have halted his progress and if he was going to be any use he would have been on the bench before now. Same for McLaggon unfortunately, although he now has Waigo,Antonio,Puncheon ahead of him.

McNish and Ox on the bench today. I remember an article in the Pink last year with Wotte comparing McNish to a young Viera (We can only hope!!). Would love to see Racine also on the bench for a couple of games. I dont think White will make it unfortunately, too many injurie have halted his progress and if he was going to be any use he would have been on the bench before now. Same for McLaggon unfortunately, although he now has Waigo,Antonio,Puncheon ahead of him.

Lee Holmes was just like Robben as well.

Yes, when I read it I took it with a pinch of salt based on it was Wotte who said it (World Class Ryan Smith for example) but friends who watch the academy games do say he is pretty good.

Wasn't it good old Jan who said Holmes was the new Robben?! I remember getting excited about this at the time, oh dear!

Yes, when I read it I took it with a pinch of salt based on it was Wotte who said it (World Class Ryan Smith for example) but friends who watch the academy games do say he is pretty good.

Remember the ryan smith quote :lol:

made even funnier by the fact that he was a useless/worthless piece of sh*t.

I have been given a trial for Southampton, for all that recognise me from Fleming Park.

I know Fleming park is just a kick around though :p

Best of luck young man, I hear that you are very good, not just on the ball but positioning and reading the game too. You also have a very good mentor in your father, also a decent player (for his years).

The end of an exciting but ultimately disappointing season, with two games left I think it is the ideal chance to get some of the youngsters started.

I wouldn't drop Lambert or Fonte, but almost any other position ought to be considered and if we have good prospects in the junior side give then 60 mins. and put the regular guy on the bench as security - in case.

None of those who have been involved in over 50 games would be likely to object to having a rest - as there is nothing more to play for - but we would at least see what we have available as future prospects before AP starts the talent hunt in the summer.

One way or another I'd expect to see quite a few departures come June.

The end of an exciting but ultimately disappointing season, with two games left I think it is the ideal chance to get some of the youngsters started.

I wouldn't drop Lambert or Fonte, but almost any other position ought to be considered and if we have good prospects in the junior side give then 60 mins. and put the regular guy on the bench as security - in case.

None of those who have been involved in over 50 games would be likely to object to having a rest - as there is nothing more to play for - but we would at least see what we have available as future prospects before AP starts the talent hunt in the summer.

Excellent thought David we need to give the youngsters a chance

I think playing too many youngsters can be detremental to their development, they aren't going to learn anything if they get beat 3-0.

Bart

Ostemebor - Still got to convince Pards

Fonte

Seaborne - Needs more game time with Fonte if he's going to be our regular CB next season

Mills

Oxlade-Chamberlain - I think he's a right winger?

Hammond

McNish

Lallana - Probably desperate for that 20th goal, I'd guess he probably gets a bonus for hitting 20.

Connolly - Let him prove his match fitness over the next two game.

Lambert

If we play that side we're giving a few youngsters more game time and should still win both of the last two games. Would probably include the likes of Racine, Gobern and Preen on the bench.

I think most have been aware of White along time, however without wanting to write him off, his development has some what stalled over the past couple of years I would say.

Does he have a future here?, good hatrick the other week however Salisbury Reserves is hardly Leeds Utd.

Rumour is that Jamie is being released and is off abroad to try his luck. You have to remember he is the same age as Antonio and Morgan, and as you say injuries have stalled his progress

I think playing too many youngsters can be detremental to their development, they aren't going to learn anything if they get beat 3-0.

Bart

Ostemebor - Still got to convince Pards

Fonte

Seaborne - Needs more game time with Fonte if he's going to be our regular CB next season

Mills

Oxlade-Chamberlain - I think he's a right winger?

Hammond

McNish

Lallana - Probably desperate for that 20th goal, I'd guess he probably gets a bonus for hitting 20.

Connolly - Let him prove his match fitness over the next two game.

Lambert

If we play that side we're giving a few youngsters more game time and should still win both of the last two games. Would probably include the likes of Racine, Gobern and Preen on the bench.

I think I'd go along with your suggestions.

My main point was NOT that we change the whole team, but that most positions should not be totally reliant on the present squad. I think at most 3 changes..depending on ....the opposition.

Gillingham are still fighting for survival but Southend are already down.

My exceptions were; Lambert for obvious reasons--how many more can he score by the end of the season and Fonte because he is the best central defender we've had in quite a few seasons and we need to see others playing alongside him, besides Rahdi and Seabourne.

Tafazoli is capt. of the Reserves and at 6' 5" ..not someone to be ignored.

Aaron Martin was signed with a view to the future, so why not play one of them against L1 opposition ..when the result doesn't really matter so much now. If an injury crisis were to come next season at least we'd know how they might perform.

Edited by david in sweden