Pardew's Response

cellone

He seemed to suggest we need another "Lambert type " player for this league if Rickie is ever injured.

Watching the game today, that was my feeling exactly. We were lost without him first half. The difference after he came on was tangible.

He seemed to suggest we need another "Lambert type " player for this league if Rickie is ever injured.

We probably don't need another Lambert clone, what we need is our full strength midfield to make things happen differently if needs be.

We need to get a consistent midfielder to either replace Hammond or provide competition for the places because without Morgan we're just a weeny bit predictable.

We probably don't need another Lambert clone, what we need is our full strength midfield to make things happen differently if needs be.

We need to get a consistent midfielder to either replace Hammond or provide competition for the places because without Morgan we're just a weeny bit predictable.

I would argue that competition to compete with Schneiderlin is just as important.

Bascially, we do need to strengthen in CM.

I would argue that competition to compete with Schneiderlin is just as important.

Bascially, we do need to strengthen in CM.

CM, CB, RB and a Lambert type player would be the 3 or 4 he is talking about then, presuming he keeps Papa and/or Antonio.

I think CM is the number one priority. We have no top-two quality cover there at all.

Other positions which need addressing but which aren't as urgent are:

RB: (keep Semi and Murty, keep one, keep none?)

CF: we need to confirm whether Papa and Connolly will stay, if not we need to sign a pacy stricker.

I don't see CB as a weak area at all. Unless Jaidi is about to call it a day we have three players of good enough quality IMO. We also have the option of Thomas and Perry if we think we need further cover there and apparently Martin looked decent today. We might decide we want to splash out on another excellent player, a la Fonte, but it really isn't a priority IMO.

Am i the only one that was worried when he said, in regards not starting Lambert.

'We needed to see where we were if we didn't have Lambert next year, and frankly thats not very good'

As much as really believe he will stay, i will be sweating this August window

Seemed an honest revue of the game. Looking for 3 or 4 in the window. Best side will be out at home next week.

The bloke has grown on me this season.

I love the way he has the courage to pick an understrength team to give players their chance and to have a look at them for next season. Make no bones about it as soon as Huddersfield won last week Pards started next season. Pre-season game #1 was yesterday against Gillingham.

I love the way he has the courage to pick an understrength team to give players their chance and to have a look at them for next season. Make no bones about it as soon as Huddersfield won last week Pards started next season. Pre-season game #1 was yesterday against Gillingham.

And while we're about it, fair play to Huddersfield. When we were coming up fast on the rails a few weeks ago it was clear someone would bottle it. Colchester did big time, but Huddersfield raised their game (after the shock of a five nil defeat at St Marys :)) and kept winning with last minute goals - again yesterday. So even if we had beaten Odlham and the Gills we would have been out of it today.

Huddersfield deserve it - hope they win the playoffs.

And while we're about it, fair play to Huddersfield. When we were coming up fast on the rails a few weeks ago it was clear someone would bottle it. Colchester did big time, but Huddersfield raised their game (after the shock of a five nil defeat at St Marys :)) and kept winning with last minute goals - again yesterday. So even if we had beaten Odlham and the Gills we would have been out of it today.

Huddersfield deserve it - hope they win the playoffs.

Looking at the table, any of the sides from 2nd to 6th can go up automatically next week which must be quite unusual. For Huddersfield to do it would require a great deal of luck, I admit, but it is possible.

That's not necessarily a given. He would have been available on a free if Reading hadn't taken up that option so they were always going to trigger it to get a fee for him, or keep him.

I agree, that particular decision was about getting a decent fee for him. A pittance (because Reading were not that instrumental in his development) V a fee as a player in contract.

Listening on the radio it seemed that Aaron Martin had a positive full debut, with AP calling him M.O.T.M.

cracking interview from Pardew. Refreshingly honest, liked the way he said he has a duty to explain to fans his decisions. Reading between the lines sounds like we have offered Connolly, hence his comment about if he signs and looking at playing him and Barnard together.

Am i the only one that was worried when he said, in regards not starting Lambert.

'We needed to see where we were if we didn't have Lambert next year, and frankly thats not very good'

I'll be sweating a little too, but I didn't interpret it that way... I think he is aware that we rely on Lambert too much and without him, we struggle to play our normal game. Our team isn't built around him as such, but he is such an important and visible player that there is a hole without him.

If he were to break his leg in pre-season we need to be prepared. No excuses. If that did happen and AP didn't have a Plan B, this forum would ruin him for it. So it's a damn good idea to have started without him and proof of his importance that he had to be brought on.

I agree with others though that we should focus on a solid midfield that can create chances for others. Then if Lambert is out of the picture for any reason, we can feed our forwards without his link-up play and still create chances.

Didn't Saints look at a guy called Donnelly, who later went to Stockport?

May still be available and willing to stay in League 1?

Saints looked at him and decided he wasn't good enough. Why would it be any different now? Hence why he ended up on loan to the worst team in League One.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Be calm, all is well.

The first reference states 'if RL is injured during next season'

The 2nd reference 'if we are without RL' is alluding back to the 1st reference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8629883.stm

trouble in getting a lambert back up...he will have to be good enough to get some goals..but be prepared to be a back up so to speak...

The only striker I can remember us being seriously linked with for backup to Lambert is Pericard, and I think he would have been a player who suits the role you speak of. This backup for Lambert may have to come from the lower leagues to be satisfied sitting on the bench each week.

What Nicola has done is look for GOOD L1/CCC players who are either in the last year of their contracts (e.g. Barnard) or playing for Clubs that need the money (Rickie, Fonte).

This has enabled us to pick up QUALITY players for very little money, and our attendance figures enable to offer better contracts that some of the teams that operating on sub 10k gates.

I expect us to to look at the 3 teams who make the Play-Offs but don't go up and attempt to sign some of their better players (similar to Jason in the last transfer window).

For example, Swindon have made the play-offs but I am led to believe that Paynter contract is up this summer. Also Huddersfield have a number of above average forwards for L1.

What Nicola has done is look for GOOD L1/CCC players who are either in the last year of their contracts (e.g. Barnard) or playing for Clubs that need the money (Rickie, Fonte).

This has enabled us to pick up QUALITY players for very little money, and our attendance figures enable to offer better contracts that some of the teams that operating on sub 10k gates.

I expect us to to look at the 3 teams who make the Play-Offs but don't go up and attempt to sign some of their better players (similar to Jason in the last transfer window).

For example, Swindon have made the play-offs but I am led to believe that Paynter contract is up this summer. Also Huddersfield have a number of above average forwards for L1.

Paynter is a good shout.

whoever the back up is will be used as a target man with Barnard or Connolly supply the main goal threat. Stop panicing!! Its so we can contiune to play the same system if RL is injured, suspended or needs a rest, which he has needed this season at times.

I think that Lee from Palace could be a good shout. Great target man who always seems to be in and out of the team whatever club he is at. Might be interested in dropping down a league, as part of the Palace firesale.