Conservative Support Growing In The Latest Polls

dune

YouGov/Sunday Times (30th Apr-1st May) CON 35%(+1), LAB 27%(-1), LDEM 28%(nc)

Conservative 282 seats, Labour 255 seats, Liberal 84 seats

ComRes/S.Mirror/S.Indy (30th Apr-1st May) CON 38%(+2), LAB 28%(-1), LDEM 25%(-1)

Conservative 312 seats, Labour 243 seats, Liberal 67 seats

ICM/Sunday Telegraph (30th April) CON 36%(+3), LAB 29%(+1), LDEM 27%(-3)

Con 279, Lab 263, LD 79

BPIX/Mail on Sunday (30th Apr-1st May) CON 34%(nc), LAB 27%(+1), LDEM 30%(nc)

Con 268, Lab 252, LD 100

Angus Reid/Sunday Express (TBC) CON 35%(+2), LAB 23%(nc), LDEM 29%(-1)

Con 308, Lab 209, LD 104

Unless David cameron makes a gaffe of bigotgate proportions it's now looking nailed on that the Conservatives will be the largest party, and with every day that passes Nick Clegg and the Liberals are being exposed as weak on policy which explains the slide from their heady heights. Voters are now clearly starting to take the election seriously and realising it's not a beauty contest, but a vote to determine how best we tackle the perilous economic mess the country is in.

YouGov/Sunday Times (30th Apr-1st May) CON 35%(+1), LAB 27%(-1), LDEM 28%(nc)

Conservative 282 seats, Labour 255 seats, Liberal 84 seats

ComRes/S.Mirror/S.Indy (30th Apr-1st May) CON 38%(+2), LAB 28%(-1), LDEM 25%(-1)

Conservative 312 seats, Labour 243 seats, Liberal 67 seats

ICM/Sunday Telegraph (30th April) CON 36%(+3), LAB 29%(+1), LDEM 27%(-3)

Con 279, Lab 263, LD 79

BPIX/Mail on Sunday (30th Apr-1st May) CON 34%(nc), LAB 27%(+1), LDEM 30%(nc)

Con 268, Lab 252, LD 100

Angus Reid/Sunday Express (TBC) CON 35%(+2), LAB 23%(nc), LDEM 29%(-1)

Con 308, Lab 209, LD 104

Unless David cameron makes a gaffe of bigotgate proportions it's now looking nailed on that the Conservatives will be the largest party, and with every day that passes Nick Clegg and the Liberals are being exposed as weak on policy which explains the slide from their heady heights. Voters are now clearly starting to take the election seriously and realising it's not a beauty contest, but a vote to determine how best we tackle the perilous economic mess the country is in.

Thats the point mush, only the largest party? They should be winning this with a landslide as Labour did in 1997. This just proves the dearth of political talent in the shadow cabinet. George Osborne FFS

Thats the point mush, only the largest party? They should be winning this with a landslide as Labour did in 1997. This just proves the dearth of political talent in the shadow cabinet. George Osborne FFS

Agree about George Osborne - instantly dislikeable. Where is Ken Clarke. William Hague is impressive but that seems to be where it stops.

The political system means that it is a lot harder for tories to win a landslide - 2005 there was just 3% between the two and yet Labour won a 66 seat majority

Agree about George Osborne - instantly dislikeable. Where is Ken Clarke. William Hague is impressive but that seems to be where it stops.

The political system means that it is a lot harder for tories to win a landslide - 2005 there was just 3% between the two and yet Labour won a 66 seat majority

Fair enough, the system is skewed towards Labour but the Tories should at least be able to get a workable majority, given Browns unpopularity , this shows to me the electorate still don´t trust them though.

Fair enough, the system is skewed towards Labour but the Tories should at least be able to get a workable majority, given Browns unpopularity , this shows to me the electorate still don´t trust them though.

Agree with this. Considering the mess we're in, the tories should be walking it. The expenses scandals have certainly tainted the electorates views of politicians and the TV debates were definately a game changer. So compared to elections in the past, these are two major factors that have shaken things up a bit.

One thing which will go down well, is that on day 1, tory ministers will take a 5% pay cut (compared to their Labour counterparts), which at least shows some leadership on restraining public sector pay.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

One thing which will go down well, is that on day 1, tory ministers will take a 5% pay cut (compared to their Labour counterparts), which at least shows some leadership on restraining public sector pay.

Lets be honest a 5% pay cut for them is akin to me losing a euro, that said they could all afford a paycut.

Lets be honest a 5% pay cut for them is akin to me losing a euro, that said they could all afford a paycut.

Are you seriously suggesting that you earn 20 euros per annum? ;)

Not ideal, but a step in the right direction and it gives them the moral ground when it comes to restricting public sector pay

Are you seriously suggesting that you earn 20 euros per annum? ;)

Not ideal, but a step in the right direction and it gives them the moral ground when it comes to restricting public sector pay

No i´m saying the Tory cabinet wouldn´t even need the salary at all, they are all millionaires anyway, they could do the job as a way of giving something back to the society that enriched them so

No i´m saying the Tory cabinet wouldn´t even need the salary at all, they are all millionaires anyway, they could do the job as a way of giving something back to the society that enriched them so

That is what is wrong with politics. It is a career now not something done out of duty or principle. Who in the current labour government has ever worked in the private sector? How can they know what it is like to run a business?

Politicians should be paid a hell of a lot more then it might attract a few more talented normal people rather than weirdos, chip-on-the-shoulder class warriors, slimy old-school network spivs and thieving ****s.

That is what is wrong with politics. It is a career now not something done out of duty or principle. Who in the current labour government has ever worked in the private sector? How can they know what it is like to run a business?

To be fair, when they get into Government what experience do most MPs have of anything usual that will make them fit to govern?

Spot on. It speaks volumes for Cameron an his parts lack of popularity that he/they are not streets ahead. Probablythe best we can hope for is a hung parliament.

I don't think they have to be tories to be millionaires, have a look at the other parties.

Whilst we're on the subject, does anybody feel the hatred to Tony Blair that I do when I read about all the millions he's making? He's only getting that because he was in public office and for no other reason. He should pay most of what he gets back to the British people.

I agree with you totally, but the highlighted bit is also true of the tory front bench.

Far too many career politicians of all hues and far too few conviction politicians or those who are doing it to give something back.

I don't think they have to be tories to be millionaires, have a look at the other parties.

Whilst we're on the subject, does anybody feel the hatred to Tony Blair that I do when I read about all the millions he's making? He's only getting that because he was in public office and for no other reason. He should pay most of what he gets back to the British people.

Why?

Maggie Thatcher did exactly the same thing. She went off on the lecture circuit, especially to the States where, for some strange reason, they loved her.

At least Blair didn't set his son up for some dodgy arms deal (although he might have done if he was old enough).

Because the Torys are the best to tackle the poo we are in, Lib Dems would put up more red tape to business and more tax and we will loose our 3 star credit rating because they are not business friendly the love big government - not good.

the TV debates were definately a game changer.

They will change poltics for good. When any party elects a new leader the number 1 criteria they will be looking for is the ability to perform in front of the camera and be likeable. Personally I don't see this as a bad thing at all because a to be a good CEO or managing director being good with people is a key attribute required to clinch deals.

Edited by dune

Because the Torys are the best to tackle the poo we are in, Lib Dems would put up more red tape to business and more tax and we will loose our 3 star credit rating because they are not business friendly the love big government - not good.

100% agree. NO to big government, YES to the big Society I say.:p

Why?

Maggie Thatcher did exactly the same thing. She went off on the lecture circuit, especially to the States where, for some strange reason, they loved her.

At least Blair didn't set his son up for some dodgy arms deal (although he might have done if he was old enough).

Because there is always the possibility that decisions made whilst in office could be taken of the basis of maximising future income. The same applies to all government ministers and officials at all levels.

at the end of the day, labour have had their chance, 13 years to make this country better, and all anyone can talk about is how it's got progressively worse, so that's two options, the lib dems or the tory's ...and you have to say, despite nick clegg being great on camera, his party's politics has holes in it all over the place, and that leaves you with one credible option, yes david cameron looks abit of a toff and comes across smarmy, but he's speaking the most sense out of the lot in my opinion ...and we need people that are going to make the right decisions, not appear best on camera or identify with the 'common man' ...(as a side note I think cameron does actually identify with the common man, its just his image that holds him back)

at the end of the day, labour have had their chance, 13 years to make this country better, and all anyone can talk about is how it's got progressively worse, so that's two options, the lib dems or the tory's ...and you have to say, despite nick clegg being great on camera, his party's politics has holes in it all over the place, and that leaves you with one credible option, yes david cameron looks abit of a toff and comes across smarmy, but he's speaking the most sense out of the lot in my opinion ...and we need people that are going to make the right decisions, not appear best on camera or identify with the 'common man' ...(as a side note I think cameron does actually identify with the common man, its just his image that holds him back)

David Cameron may be posh, but you can imagine him being good a good leader for Britain on the world stage because he's from the same stable as Rupert Lowe and won't be pushed around by Jonny foreigner - he'll raise our influence globally. Compare that to browns grovelling and smiling when he's at world events especially when Obama is in attendance.

David Cameron may be posh, but you can imagine him being good a good leader for Britain on the world stage because he's from the same stable as Rupert Lowe and won't be pushed around by Jonny foreigner - he'll raise our influence globally. Compare that to browns grovelling and smiling when he's at world events especially when Obama is in attendance.

Now i know you are a wind up merchant!

It's a bugger of a choice, I'll grant you that, and whoever gets in we're well and truly fooked on account of all the billions that Brown has spent (or wasted, as you wish) but hasn't had the balls to make us pay for yet, so he's gone and borrowed it all behind our backs and we're only just starting to realise how big the bill is going to be. In the meantime the interest bill is ramping ever upwards and our credit rating is going down the pan. No matter which party has the better plans for reducing the deficit, the only option in my opinion is to vote for the one that is at the very least not going to make things any worse. We are in for a very bleak decade or two and I pity today's young workers because they are the ones who are going to have to pay for it all, there simply isn't enough money amongst all the 'rich' even if you stripped them bare.

I'm working in Strasbourg for the week so I shall miss all the fun but I've left a proxy with my neighbour even though his views are more extreme than mine. Have fun everbody, don't stay up too late on Thursday and let's hope the least worst wins!

:toimonster:

Didn't Churchill come from a posh family?

None of them, Brown, Clegg or Cameron are in touch with the normal people. Clegg is a career politican from tip to toe. Lobbyist, then worked for Leon Brittan in the EU,MEP and then MP.How he's managed to pull the wool over people's eyes and play the outsider is beyond me. Luckily, a light is being shone upon the sandal wearer's bizzare policies and they're getting found out.

My prediction is a massive swing to the Torys, and a 20-30 majority.

Now i know you are a wind up merchant!

I'm deadly serious, Dave Cam will hold himself well in the company of world leaders. Margaret Thatcher was a great world leader in her day, Angela Merkel is the best world leader currently. Dave Cam will be equally as effective for Britain in this theatre IMO.

that sums it all up for me

Didn't Churchill come from a posh family?

None of them, Brown, Clegg or Cameron are in touch with the normal people. Clegg is a career politican from tip to toe. Lobbyist, then worked for Leon Brittan in the EU,MEP and then MP.How he's managed to pull the wool over people's eyes and play the outsider is beyond me. Luckily, a light is being shone upon the sandal wearer's bizzare policies and they're getting found out.

My prediction is a massive swing to the Torys, and a 20-30 majority.

Clegg is as much a public school toff as any of them, Blair included.

And herein lays the problem.

There seems very little place in the modern system for non-career politicians and that is bad for democracy and bad for us.

But Labour's policy of no outside jobs, plus the Sandal wearer's obsession with PR will mean more Career politican's not less.The decline of the unions has also contributed to the lack of normal people, as they provided plenty of normal people from the left.

But Labour's policy of no outside jobs, plus the Sandal wearer's obsession with PR will mean more Career politican's not less.The decline of the unions has also contributed to the lack of normal people, as they provided plenty of normal people from the left.

So it's Labour's and the Liberals fault that there are only career politicians?

Get a grip mush, they are all as bad as each other. You couldn't get more career politician than Cameron.

:confused:

Me!

What a prize ****. I hate his wife too.

So it's Labour's and the Liberals fault that there are only career politicians?

Get a grip mush, they are all as bad as each other. You couldn't get more career politician than Cameron.

I said their policies will make it even worse than it is at present with MORE career politicans.

I'm not against career politicians and i don't care where they went to school. As long as they do a good job and are accountable then it's OK.

What I don't like are the unaccountable Lords drafted into the cabinet such as Mandy or Lord Sainsbury. How did they get this power and how do we get it back from them? Everyone in a position of power should ultimately be accountable to us and we should have an opportunity to take that power from them. I also dislike the lauding of businessmen as some kind of guru. Running a country is not the same as running a "for profit" company and of course there's always the inevitable conflict of interests that could occur.

The current system works a treat after all. :rolleyes:

No it doesn't, but that's no reason to make it worse. PR will bring about Party lists, with career politicans towing the party line.

We need people entering politics who have run Companies, who have worked up through the unions, who have been police officers, lawyers, teachers and doctors.We then may get more independant thinking representives.You only have to look at Labour's treatment of Frank Field, brought in by Blair to "think the unthinkable" and then sacked for doing so. The whipping of MP's means you have to be an increadbly strong person to stand by your beliefs. The party leaders should encourage debate within their parties and it should become acceptable to disagree with certain aspects of your parties policies, without harming your career.The first thing that should stop is the party leadership imposing candidates on local constituancys, a practise all 3 parties are performing more and more.

roll on this thursday,i,m confident that it will be a hung parliament and i am confident the independant minded voters will ensure that.

If so I hope its works, even if there are big cut I want our country on the road to recovery, we need a government to make big, hard decisions. I have a little girl and I don't want her in a country that has gone like Greece, soon to be Spain and a few more.

The country has to get rid of red take, be more business friendly, cut public sector. If this is not done I would worry about a run on the pound and a downgrade of our credit rateing (which would destroy us).

For me I would only be able to trust the Tory party because they have had to do the same thing after rubbish labour governments when rubbish was not being takern and 3 day week.

Plus Cameron has said he would fight for the Falklands and I believe the Liberals would let them go.

Plus Cameron has said he would fight for the Falklands and I believe the Liberals would let them go.

I have to LOL at that.

You do understand that if the Argies invaded (which they won't) and took control (which they won't) we would be in no position to fight for them anyway? We lack the capacity required to do so.

It's got to be the dumbest reason I've read this campaign to vote tory.

I have to LOL at that.

You do understand that if the Argies invaded (which they won't) and took control (which they won't) we would be in no position to fight for them anyway? We lack the capacity required to do so.

It's got to be the dumbest reason I've read this campaign to vote tory.

I dont think he meant fighting as in "invade the beach"..

If so I hope its works, even if there are big cut I want our country on the road to recovery, we need a government to make big, hard decisions. I have a little girl and I don't want her in a country that has gone like Greece, soon to be Spain and a few more.

The country has to get rid of red take, be more business friendly, cut public sector. If this is not done I would worry about a run on the pound and a downgrade of our credit rateing (which would destroy us).

For me I would only be able to trust the Tory party because they have had to do the same thing after rubbish labour governments when rubbish was not being takern and 3 day week.

i want that has well and with 2 party's in a coalition ,its more likely to force them to work for all britons or we may have a minority tory party and cameron held a prisoner by the nutty right of the party.

why does someone have to be on a wind up for having an alternative opinion

Not for having an alternative opinion but for insinuating that a Rupert Lowesqe Prime Minister would be good for the country,look at the mess he created at Saints with his stubborn and arrogant attitude