Strachan - keep the players -sack the coaches!

david in sweden

those Saints fans who recall some of WGS' controversial decisions won't be surprised to hear that the (now 'Boro manager) is " allowing " his first team coach, goalkeeping coach and Reserves boss - to go. (double talk for the sack):smt067

He may be buying new players next season but he's starting with a new back-room team first. Any bets that Telfer will be one of his first appointments?.

those Saints fans who recall some of WGS' controversial decisions won't be surprised to hear that the (now 'Boro manager) is " allowing " his first team coach, goalkeeping coach and Reserves boss - to go. (double talk for the sack):smt067

He may be buying new players next season but he's starting with a new back-room team first. Any bets that Telfer will be one of his first appointments?.

I believe I have suggested in the recent past that our coaching staff needs

serious reflexion. I don't think they have the nous to encourage the players to

change their style of play for different types of opposition. If you hire Brighton's coaches you get Brighton(s performances, Downes is best known as a defensive coach, our defence is alright but sometimes our attack isn't

varied.

I don't, I think he is at his level. Got some good results with us but some bad ones as well. He had some exceptional players that performed well for him when he was here.

meant to their expectations, they were doing better under Southgate and went backwards when they signed WGS

meant to their expectations, they were doing better under Southgate and went backwards when they signed WGS

Oh right see what you mean. They were silly to do that, Strachan really is nothing special as a manager.Showed what he was really worth at Celtic, if Beats hadn't had a really hot streak fuelled by Fernandes excellence we'd have been pretty ordinary;OK but just ordinary OK.

I don't, I think he is at his level. Got some good results with us but some bad ones as well. He had some exceptional players that performed well for him when he was here.

I'm not sure that he's found his level, but I'm not surprised he hasn't had instant success there. I said when he was appointed that I didn't think he was the right type of manager for them with the players they had; their team under Southgate had a few too many flair players and were a long way away from the type of hard working grafters that WGS seems to predominantly go for.

Perhaps with a full pre-season and a significant change of personnel he might get it right, but I still don't get the impression that he'll achieve success at that club.

Chris Nicholl was the best (and most under-rated) manager since McMenemy. I didn't like Strachan choice of players alot of the time, but I did appreciate the work ethic most of them had on the field and their level of fitness at that time.

I believe I have suggested in the recent past that our coaching staff needs

serious reflexion. I don't think they have the nous to encourage the players to

change their style of play for different types of opposition. If you hire Brighton's coaches you get Brighton(s performances, Downes is best known as a defensive coach, our defence is alright but sometimes our attack isn't

varied.

???? We had the second highest goals for record in League 1

???? We had the second highest goals for record in League 1

Because we scored a lot of goals in some matches. The attack wasn't up to certain situations when it needed to be.Obviously if you tonk teams 5 and 6 nil you'll be amongst the top scorers, but when you have a problem like Oldham or

Wycombe which you can't solve with your "usual" methods you need plans B,C D,E And F.

I think you are being totally unrealistic. Even Barcelona have had matches when they've had problems breaking down defences, even with Messi playing. A plus 36 goal difference tells you that Pardew does have more than Plan A. There are plenty of times when he moved around the personnel and changed tactics - haven't you been watching?

if Beats hadn't had a really hot streak fuelled by Fernandes excellence we'd have been pretty ordinary.

That'll be the Beattie that went on that hot streak because his manager got him fit enough to be able to do the kind of things he otherwise would never have been able to do ?

The Beattie that's not come close to that kind of form under any other manager in 6 years since ?

Fine, put it down to "luck"...

That'll be the Beattie that went on that hot streak because his manager got him fit enough to be able to do the kind of things he otherwise would never have been able to do ?

The Beattie that's not come close to that kind of form under any other manager in 6 years since ?

Fine, put it down to "luck"...

Or a new enlightenment brought on by a much publicised drink-driving conviction.

Because we scored a lot of goals in some matches. The attack wasn't up to certain situations when it needed to be.Obviously if you tonk teams 5 and 6 nil you'll be amongst the top scorers, but when you have a problem like Oldham or

Wycombe which you can't solve with your "usual" methods you need plans B,C D,E And F.

This suggests that you can win every game, which clearly you cannot.

For the record, I was stood in the cold at Wycombe for two hours watching the drivel we served up, but we could still have won it when Lallana missed a sitter on about 86 minutes...

How could we have legislated for that and the absence of our only decent central midfielder (Morgan) that night?

I think you are being totally unrealistic. Even Barcelona have had matches when they've had problems breaking down defences, even with Messi playing. A plus 36 goal difference tells you that Pardew does have more than Plan A. There are plenty of times when he moved around the personnel and changed tactics - haven't you been watching?

Ah, but when I pointed out United and Fergie were 'unlucky' against Bayern, I was told in no uncertain terms Lyon would rip Bayern to shreds... which kinda tells you all you need to know about some people's knowledge of football...

Ah, but when I pointed out United and Fergie were 'unlucky' against Bayern, I was told in no uncertain terms Lyon would rip Bayern to shreds... which kinda tells you all you need to know about some people's knowledge of football...

Refs fault :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have fond memories of WGS's tenure. He brought the best out of a few players and I was sad he left. Bridgey and Mardens play together made a massive difference to the team , add BT's great form along with Killer and we had a fair team. Not great football IMO but a tough nut to crack.On a negative side, WGS playing Tessem instead of Kevin Davies was am jor mistake and time has shown he caused bedlam in Arsenals defence and would have been perfect for the cup final instead of a negative journeyman.

Add his appalling signing of McCann and he goes away as a neutral manager success wise. Nicholl for me was the best after LM but he paid the price for folowing LM and not following Branfoot, if he had he would have been a legend.

Hoddle, took over in jan 2000 when we had won something like 4 games.

Relegation team. Kept us up.

Next season left end of March, with us 8th in premiership, 9 points off Arsenal with game in hand, left us in a run of 7 straight clean sheets and 5 straight wins.

Most optimistic I have been about a saints managers - far far more than WGS.

what to take over a team and do worse? Of course he has, he has had a bad season.

no pre season..? does that not count for boro..?

I will be amazed if they are not top 6 next season..

you dont get a team like celtic to the knock out stages of the champions league by being crap

funny how you are happy to judge him negatively before he has had a pre season etc...double standards me thinks

I think if take over an established team which is doing ok and you make it worse then you have underperformed.

if put together a team and start it performing from nothing then you have done well

simple consistant standards

I think if take over an established team which is doing ok and you make it worse then you have underperformed.

if put together a team and start it performing from nothing then you have done well

simple consistant standards

doing OK that they had to sack their manager...ffs, they had just got relegated and had gotten worse month by month..

nick..so GS did not take a team that got to the UEFA cup final and league cup win to an absolute shyte team with the amazing £12m alavez up front and got them relegated..?

and you really cannot see why southgate had to go..and STILL has not got a job.

no doubt (like when we went down) a new start is needed (sound familiar)..sure boro were doing OK at the start of the season but there is more to the bigger picture..

even less fans at games

players demoralised

gibson had enough

like I said, funny for you to judge WGS already yet happy to dimiss a quater of the season for pardew to rebuild.