Going to South Africa

Hatch

anyone going out for the World Cup.

I've got tickets for the last 16 game in Cape Town, between the winners of group H ( probably Spain ) v runner up group G ( brazil/portugal/ivory coast)

Nice that could be a cracking game.

That is one country I would never visit.

The worst violent crime stats in the world, and lots of criminals will be especially active during the world cup. The HIV/AIDS stats are off the scale, I think it's something like one in three of the female population between 25 and 35.

has anyone or does anyone know what sort of injections you need before going out, and how long you have to have them before leaving?

None, but last time I came in through immigration, a few days ago, they were still doing that body temperature scanner thing for bird flu, or swine flu, or whatever it is this week.

If you're planning to visit other African countries at the same time, you'll need a yellow fever jab, but not for SA.

I'm only going if England get to the final so I guess the answer to the OP is no.

However, went to Durban last time England played there and had a fantastic time. The locals were friendly and we didn't feel at all threatened by anyone. We also drove to Pietermaritzburg and Rorke's Drift, and again felt completely safe. Maybe we were just lucky, and maybe the local thugs didn't expect too many fans to come that time so weren't looking for easy victims. I do have a fear that things will be different this time though.

has anyone or does anyone know what sort of injections you need before going out, and how long you have to have them before leaving?

i got some including swine flu and hep a and typhoid. Also i am flying kenyan airways and although we r only stopping in nairobi for 45 mins i have to have a yellow fever certificate to get through SA Immigration

I'm going and cant wait to get to Cape Town.

We've got tickets to englands last 2 group matches and the next round game for the winner of group C , which we all know will be the US and A , bugger.

Have also got tickets to Portugal - Korea (come on you Kia) and Holland - Cameroon (come on you lions) are playing while I am there. Should be a cracking atmosphere.

Norway saint...Hi, but never judge a place before you've been there. Probably best to give the crack-ho's a miss then! sorted.

If anyone local to So'ton needs any SA Rand to take out with them, I've got a decent wedge in stock at work at the moment. :)

On that point, anybody with a shoebox under the bed should note that, in accordance with a Reserve Bank directive, the "old" R200 notes will not be accepted in shops here after 31st May.

The worst violent crime stats in the world, and lots of criminals will be especially active during the world cup. The HIV/AIDS stats are off the scale, I think it's something like one in three of the female population between 25 and 35.

TBF mate, you can probably avoid catching AIDs easily enough.

HTH.

So don't have sex with a south african and don't wander into a shanty town. Rio's scary if you leave the beach area and go to the favelas but right minded people ain't gonna do that. I predict not one English fan will be killed in South Africa.

I'm sure there are worse places but I'm not going to think about silly things that have a very small chance of happening but just enjoy life, my stay in SA will be enjoyable, hope yours will be in your safe little haven :)

I'm sure there are worse places but I'm not going to think about silly things that have a very small chance of happening but just enjoy life, my stay in SA will be enjoyable, hope yours will be in your safe little haven :)

Just use common sense, and don't do anything daft, and you should be fine. The vast majority of South Africans are nice and friendly people.

I'll be at Rustenburg as well. I'm looking forward to a very winnable game. But expect a lot of security. The Brits & the Yanks are both percieved as high value targets for terrorists. I wouldn't bank on getting Rooney's autograph.

Interesting

Emirates are now showing availability on flights and they have dropped from 2,000 quid down to a massive bargain 1,000 quid

Even look like they have airmiles available. Wonder if they have overcooked their prices - lol

Still too high for me to justify at the moment but still time to decide if I will do the Slovenia game or just let the tickets turn to dust

Interesting

Emirates are now showing availability on flights and they have dropped from 2,000 quid down to a massive bargain 1,000 quid

Even look like they have airmiles available. Wonder if they have overcooked their prices - lol

Still too high for me to justify at the moment but still time to decide if I will do the Slovenia game or just let the tickets turn to dust

£2,000 from Dubai? I checked a month or two back and flight from the UK with South African Airways were £500-£800 each way. It comfortably prices me out, when you add airport transfers in and the cost of a couple random match tickets still available. Even if I ended up staying with locals it would cost too much.

Out of interest from those that are going, what sort of places are you staying in? Hotels/hostels/host families/cruise ships/tents?

Despite the flights coming down my tickets will just be empty spaces I'm afraid. Gutted to miss my first WC in 12 years but I refuse to pay the rip off prices the airlines Car Hire & Hotels want. For the cost of a trip to Port Elizabeth I can have 3 x 2 week vacations this year or pay for an HD system and subscription to 1,976 English speaking Satellite channels for a whole year.

Hope many of the rip off crew go bust, I'll be in the pub

I work for a South African couple here in Spain and they have lent me their house for the duration of the world cup. (and the house staff!)

I will make my way over there and they are also arranging tickets to some of the matches, I dont know which ones until i get there but who cares?? It's the World Cup baby!!!

I work for a South African couple here in Spain and they have lent me their house for the duration of the world cup. (and the house staff!)

I will make my way over there and they are also arranging tickets to some of the matches, I dont know which ones until i get there but who cares?? It's the World Cup baby!!!

well Spain Saint, just tell us the adress and we'll be round for drinks.. seriously.

Do you know which town you'll be staying in?

Managed to get some more tickets on Monday for ties such as Algeria v Slovenia in Polokwane on Sunday, Brazil v Korea at Ellis Park Johannesberg on Tuesday and Honduras v Chile in Nelspruit on Wednesday, queued for 9 hours :shock:

Edited by saintwarwick