Cortese V Lowe

dune

The feud with the Echo, the stories of club staff not being allowed to talk to him, the way he had a dig at MLT and Lawrie, the Pardew speculation, and now the season ticket prices/lack of an installment plan/booking tax on tickets.

Take away Markus's money and I see very little difference between Cortese and Lowe.:(

Laughable. :D

You are so easily influenced and taken in by speculation and unsubstantiated rumours.

So many assumptions in the opening post. Yes, they may be true, but you have little in the way of evidence to base an opinion on.

Edited by Matthew Le God

When he gets through 10 managers in as many years, gets rid of a decent manager and employs 4 useless dutchmen, wastes money on failed radio stations, insurance companies and sees attendances drop by more than 10k then maybe we can compare.

Pardew is on borrowed time imo. I think Cortese wanted him gone at the end of the season, but revered his decision in lieu of the reaction from fans.

The feud with the Echo, the stories of club staff not being allowed to talk to him, the way he had a dig at MLT and Lawrie, the Pardew speculation, and now the season ticket prices/lack of an installment plan/booking tax on tickets.

Take away Markus's money and I see very little difference between Cortese and Lowe.:(

You maybe right but lets wait and see.

Lowe ran a PLC in the Premiership with little or no money Cortese runs a Private Company in League 1 in a free Stadium so the pressures are different

Take your heads out the sand, Dune has a point.

If Cortese's PR is this bad when things are going well imagine what they will be like when things are going bad. Luckily PR is not that important, as long as things are right on the pitch nothing else matters at a football club, hopefully Cortese is better than Lowe in this dept.

You maybe right but lets wait and see.

Lowe ran a PLC in the Premiership with little or no money Cortese runs a Private Company in League 1 in a free Stadium so the pressures are different

Little or no money...jeesh now why do clubs bother getting promoted from the CCC. I must of imagined Blackpools wild celebrations and joy on reaching the promised land.

Lets take it bit by bit...

The feud with the Echo - Dune you don't know what went on

the stories of club staff not being allowed to talk to him Dune you don't know what is going on

the way he had a dig at MLT and Lawrie Lawrie and MLT weren't forced at gunpoint to give an answer about the unfounded speculation about Pardew/Cortese. They both had no idea what was going on, but choose to comment anyway. I see no reason why Cortese shouldn't respond. He was hardly particulary harsh in his responce either

the Pardew speculation Speculation being the key word here

season ticket prices/lack of an installment plan/booking tax on tickets.The lack of notice that there was to be a change is the only issue I have, everything else is reasonable

To compare Cortese, the man that saved the club from oblivion last summer and attracted a wealthy owner, to Rupert Lowe is ridiculous.

Never in the clubs history has it had a wealthy backer. They have wiped out £30m+ of debt, invested in the playing squad and backroom staff, invested money in training facilities, academy, stadium and have stated their future intention to return to the Premiership and fund it and infrastructure improvements. Basically everything that Rupert Lowe didn't do.

Yes, Mr Cortese is an ambitious and no nonsense type of businessman, exactly imo what this club has needed for years.

Chill Mr Dune and enjoy the ride. :)

Edited by Matthew Le God

Lowe is a businessman, Cortese is a businessman, they want to get the most money out of the club as possible, it isn't childs playtime.

I like Cortese, he seems to be serious about the club, and I think under his directorship we're gonna get somewhere.

Lets take it bit by bit...

The feud with the Echo - Dune you don't know what went on

the stories of club staff not being allowed to talk to him Dune you don't know what is going on

the way he had a dig at MLT and Lawrie Lawrie and MLT weren't forced at gunpoint to give an answer about the unfounded speculation about Pardew/Cortese. They both had no idea what was going on, but choose to comment anyway. I see no reason why Cortese shouldn't respond. He was hardly particulary harsh in his responce either

the Pardew speculation Speculation being the key word here

season ticket prices/lack of an installment plan/booking tax on tickets.The lack of notice that there was to be a change is the only issue I have, everything else is reasonable

To compare Cortese, the man that saved the club from oblivion last summer and attracted a wealthy owner, to Rupert Lowe is ridiculous.

Never in the clubs history has it had a wealthy backer. They have wiped out £30m+ of debt, invested in the playing squad and backroom staff, invested money in training facilities, academy, stadium and have stated their future intention to return to the Premiership and fund it and infrastructure improvements. Basically everything that Rupert Lowe didn't do.

Yes, Mr Cortese is an ambitious and no nonsense type of businessman, exactly imo what this club has needed for years.

Chill Mr Dune and enjoy the ride. :)

Well said !

It seems that Mr Lune has a very, very short memory!

Little or no money...jeesh now why do clubs bother getting promoted from the CCC. I must of imagined Blackpools wild celebrations and joy on reaching the promised land.

So you were not around when we were in the Premiership

In those days we did not have enough money to buy the two of the top strikers in the Division like we can today

So you were not around when we were in the Premiership

In those days we did not have enough money to buy the two of the top strikers in the Division like we can today

we had the 10th highest turnover in the whole country....we just spent poorly and on quantity rather than quality

laughable. Altho i did hear from someone at the club that cortese insists that everyone calls him sir and lesser staff have to stand when he enters the room.......but no lowe. Interesting to see how he handles any dodgy periods when we move on up the leagues mind

I seriously doubt if Lowe was chairman in league 1 we would have seen 1 million spent on a striker

That is because we never had that kind of spare money when he was around.

But you could be right we will never know.

It is going to be interesting if and when we get to the Premier League whether SFC are going to spend £15-£20m on a striker.

So we will have to wait and see

We'll see how many are still enjoying the ride when the ticket prices are up there with Chelsea's.

Compared to similar sized clubs playing at the same level Saints prices are competitive.

It is pointless and irrelevant to compare a seat at St Mary's to a seat at Dagenham & Redbridge, Rochdale & Hartlepool. The stadiums facilities are poorer, the views are poorer and most importantly the quality of the football(entertainment) is poorer.

Compare them with similar clubs like Leeds & Norwich last season or Sheff Weds this season.

The Chelsea comparison is never going to happen. Saints are a provincial club, Chelsea are in the west of London and their prices reflect this.

we had the 10th highest turnover in the whole country....we just spent poorly and on quantity rather than quality

We may have been for a year or so but not for any length of time.

I do agree that we were not very successful in the transfer market after getting Niemmi and Svensson but they did not cost that much.

But lets see what happens if we do get back in the Premier League before we can make comparisons.

Edited by John B

Compared to similar sized clubs playing at the same level Saints prices are competitive.

It is pointless and irrelevant to compare a seat at St Mary's to a seat at Dagenham & Redbridge, Rochdale & Hartlepool. The stadiums facilities are poorer, the views are poorer and most importantly the quality of the football(entertainment) is poorer.

Compare them with similar clubs like Leeds & Norwich last season or Sheff Weds this season.

The Chelsea comparison is never going to happen. Saints are a provincial club, Chelsea are in the west of London and their prices reflect this.

We'll see. When we're next in the Premier League you'll be looking at £40 + the ticket tax I reckon.

You are so easily influenced and taken in by speculation and unsubstantiated rumours.

How is that in any way different from believing that:

a) everything Cortese says publicly is the truth and not even a slight variation of the truth (let alone an all-out lie),

b) everything the Echo ever prints is a lie that they have made up to try to stitch up the football club (even when the actual source of the story stands by it);

both of which you are 100% guilty of?

On the second point, by the way, Adam Blackmore was ****ing himself laughing at people on here giving the Echo all the grief for the Pardew out/Liebherr not at the game story that he broke - couldn't believe his luck. Oh, and he still stands by it.

We'll see. When we're next in the Premier League you'll be looking at £40 + the ticket tax I reckon.

Pompey had ticket prices of £38 and that was high due to having a small ground so prices increased. St Mary's was much cheaper comparatively on face value and value for money (albeit 5 years ago).

Cortese has stated they want to increase capacity or move stadium when back in the Premiership. If they increase capacity, then prices reduce as supply can meet demand. :)

Could be, but if we're back there in 2 years maybe we won't be too unhappy, especially those who see the PL as the Holy Grail (I only want to be there if we can compete, not make up the numbers and avoid relegation). If its much longer than that then maybe £40 will be a bargain depending on inflation. How's about we cross that bridge when we come to it, instead of slitting our wrists now about something that may never happen.

Pompey had ticket prices of £38 and that was high due to having a small ground so prices increased. St Mary's was much cheaper comparatively on face value and value for money (albeit 5 years ago).

I'm sure I remember the "Platinum" games at St Mary's being £38...

Cortese has stated they want to increase capacity or move stadium when back in the Premiership. If they increase capacity, then prices reduce as supply can meet demand. :)

I love your blind optimism but what makes you think that Cortese will still be here by the time we're looking to increase capacity? Considering his irritation at us missing out on promotion this season, I think it's fair to say that the original five-year plan has been reduced somewhat. He's on a massive bonus if we get to the Premier League (not Premiership, see, we can all be pedantic arses), IMO he wants to get his hands on that and get the hell out of here as soon as he can.

How is that in any way different from believing that:

a) everything Cortese says publicly is the truth and not even a slight variation of the truth (let alone an all-out lie),

b) everything the Echo ever prints is a lie that they have made up to try to stitch up the football club (even when the actual source of the story stands by it);

both of which you are 100% guilty of?

On the second point, by the way, Adam Blackmore was ****ing himself laughing at people on here giving the Echo all the grief for the Pardew out/Liebherr not at the game story that he broke - couldn't believe his luck. Oh, and he still stands by it.

I haven't said that what the Echo prints is a lie. Just you have to give it a massive question mark as it is more often than not unsubstantiated without any source or quote. Most importantly more often than not it ends up being a dead end and their success is so low it suggests it is more a case of a random dartboard of news rather than someone with reliable contacts in the game. If not, maybe they should stop using these contacts as they are clearly passing them duff information. Yes, some stories they get may have truth to them but don't end in a result, but these seem too common to be point down to this.

Nor, do I instantly believe Cortese just because it has passed through his lips. Unlike the media and most of the stories they run, what Cortese has said has ended with actual results which makes me more incline to believe him over the Echo.

You only have to listen to Adam Blackmore on BBC Radio Solent to realise than he doesn't fully understand the rules of the game. His commentaries are littered with mistakes and fundamental errors. Nor that he knows that much about the club that he has covered for years. So to believe him on the ins and outs of rumours surrounding the manager is hard

I believe the story for the simple reason that Cortese (or any other chairman) would have rubbished the story earlier if there was no truth in it.

Do you not think it somewhat odd that Radio Solent (and Blackmore in particular) seem to be the ones who get all of the club exclusives?

Whether you appreciate his knowledge of the game or not (I don't listen to any radio station, so wouldn't really know), he tends to be on the money with a lot of the stories that have come out of the club in the last year or so. There's a reason for that - he has a very good contact within the club who is either very close to Cortese or is Cortese himself.

I love your blind optimism but what makes you think that Cortese will still be here by the time we're looking to increase capacity? Considering his irritation at us missing out on promotion this season, I think it's fair to say that the original five-year plan has been reduced somewhat. He's on a massive bonus if we get to the Premier League (not Premiership, see, we can all be pedantic arses), IMO he wants to get his hands on that and get the hell out of here as soon as he can.

You seem quite confident there...

1) How do you know there is a 5 year plan?

2) How do you know that he is on a massive bonus for reaching the Premiership?

I'm not saying both these things don't exist. It is entirely believable that they do. However I suspect you have stated these with no foundation other than rumour on here and elsewhere. I can't remember seeing any quotes from Cortese mentioning a 5 year plan, nor would his bonus structure be made public.

You seem quite confident there...

1) How do you know there is a 5 year plan?

2) How do you know that he is on a massive bonus for reaching the Premiership?

I'm not saying both these things don't exist. It is entirely believable that they do. However I suspect you have stated these with no foundation other than rumour on here and elsewhere. I can't remember seeing any quotes from Cortese mentioning a 5 year plan, nor would his bonus structure be made public.

Pretty sure it's been a fairly open secret that there's a 5-year plan to get back to the Premier League.

As for the bonus, it surely goes without saying that he'd be on one for success within that timeframe - I've heard fairly consistent details from a number of sources that I trust, sources that will naturally remain anonymous.

Pretty sure it's been a fairly open secret that there's a 5-year plan to get back to the Premier League.

As for the bonus, it surely goes without saying that he'd be on one for success within that timeframe - I've heard fairly consistent details from a number of sources that I trust, sources that will naturally remain anonymous.

Seems pretty obvious he is involved for serious financial gain

Why the witch hunt?

Finally we get someone to lead the club, make tough decisions, improve every aspect from playing staff to facilities and you tossers on here are still not happy??

What do you want? Sometimes the attitude of people on here beggar belief.

Unhappy when we were borderline going out of business and now unhappy when we enter our most exciting period since the early 80's

Oh, one of those open secrets that no-one can find a source for!?

Top stuff! :D

(btw I think it is very likely that there is a structured plan, however to say it is definitely 3/4/5 years with no evidence, strikes me as odd)

Why the witch hunt?

Finally we get someone to lead the club, make tough decisions, improve every aspect from playing staff to facilities and you tossers on here are still not happy??

What do you want? Sometimes the attitude of people on here beggar belief.

Unhappy when we were borderline going out of business and now unhappy when we enter our most exciting period since the early 80's

I Just want a friendly and reasonable club which caters for its fans not a method for somebody to make millions

But we will have to wait and see what happens