Lancashire - How did he do?

Saint Martini

That's why I asked for it to be moved.

Yes, I figured that! ;)

In answer to your question.... I only heard the radio commentary. I'm not sure if you heard it? Can you get it in Sweden?

Anyway, from the commentary it sounded as though most of our problems defensively came from holding the line too high up the pitch and being caught out by long balls. Having said that, it didn't sound as though we were ever under any long periods of pressure and on the whole it sounded like an encouraging performance from Olly.

Yes, I figured that! ;)

In answer to your question.... I only heard the radio commentary. I'm not sure if you heard it? Can you get it in Sweden?

Anyway, from the commentary it sounded as though most of our problems defensively came from holding the line too high up the pitch and being caught out by long balls. Having said that, it didn't sound as though we were ever under any long periods of pressure and on the whole it sounded like an encouraging performance from Olly.

I can get SaintsTV in Sweden so I heard the radio as well. But its always difficult to judge one defender on the basis of a radio report. Unless he the player does something really well or bad he won't get mentioned and you can't really say a defender played bad because the defense was bad. It might be the other 1, 2 or three that were bad with one brilliant performance. But good to see that BT seems to think he played well at least. A young defender with a bit of speed does come in handy with our style of play and the fact that the other central defenders are quite old.

I can get SaintsTV in Sweden so I heard the radio as well. But its always difficult to judge one defender on the basis of a radio report. Unless he the player does something really well or bad he won't get mentioned and you can't really say a defender played bad because the defense was bad. It might be the other 1, 2 or three that were bad with one brilliant performance. But good to see that BT seems to think he played well at least. A young defender with a bit of speed does come in handy with our style of play and the fact that the other central defenders are quite old.

Yeah, and he looks like he's genuinely tall, which is something we lack throughout the side at the mo.

I have no real idea how he did because I only heard it on the radio but (as long as he wasn't too cr@p) I would keep him in and persist with the partnership with Wotton otherwise we will get back to the chopping and changing every game which cannot be good in the longer term !

I thought he had a really good game. We got caught out a few times due to holding a high line today. Kelvin Davis made 2 or 3 really good saves, especially from a header which I thought was going in but some how he managed to push it round the post.

But the goalkeeper is an integral part of the team. That's why you need a good one and not a pillock like Bart.I watched some of Arsenal Hull yesterday. Myhill won against Arsenal all by himself,true the others scored 2 goals but he saved at least 5 .

I was there and thought he had an impressive game once he settled with Wotton. Donny's tactic of balls over the top to chase looked dangerous and if we'd had, say Perry and Svensson playing the lack of pace would have been disastrous. But as the game went on, this looked like a solid CB pairing and I hope JP leaves it alone.

Thought Mills and James also had decent games, although against more physical oppositiob Cork might come in for James. But, IMO winning teams are built on settled defence so PLEASE keep it the same next week!

I was there and thought he had an impressive game once he settled with Wotton. Donny's tactic of balls over the top to chase looked dangerous and if we'd had, say Perry and Svensson playing the lack of pace would have been disastrous. But as the game went on, this looked like a solid CB pairing and I hope JP leaves it alone.

Thought Mills and James also had decent games, although against more physical oppositiob Cork might come in for James. But, IMO winning teams are built on settled defence so PLEASE keep it the same next week![/QUOTE]

Apparently Derby have kept the same defence for the last 5/6 games and their fortunes have changed completely !

Seems like a great idea to me !!

But the goalkeeper is an integral part of the team. That's why you need a good one and not a pillock like Bart.I watched some of Arsenal Hull yesterday. Myhill won against Arsenal all by himself,true the others scored 2 goals but he saved at least 5 .

Funny old game really, the same Boaz Myhill who picked the ball out of the net 4 times at SMS last season...

Problem was Lancashire was having to play centre back and full back as James was nowhere to be seen half the time. I even remeber him fouling someone over in the left back position. Lancashire was not great but, was not helped by the fact he had no full back playing by the side of him. That needs to get sorted pronto.

Why are some people on here being so fickle and slating him already? If you look towards the start of the thread, most people are praising him for an impressive performance against Donny Rovers! Lancashire is a young lad who is learning the game, he is bound to make a few mistakes.

He has said himself on the OS that it's a big step up and the pace of the game is much quicker and the tempo alot faster than what he has been used to. It's bound to take him some time to come to grips with the step up from reserves to first team.

In the matches against Donny and Norwich (where we kept clean sheets in both) he has shown that he does have potential and could prove to be a useful player for us if given time and the right opportunities.

To criticise a young defender after the Cov match is a bit harsh and a tad unfair if you ask me, especially considering there were very few players to come out of that game with any credit whatsoever.

To criticise a young defender after the Cov match is a bit harsh and a tad unfair if you ask me, especially considering there were very few players to come out of that game with any credit whatsoever.

I think you're spot on.

The problem as I see it is that the powers that be have put Ollie and others under immense pressure by dumping so many youngsters in at the deep end all in one go.

Rather than bring them in gradually and allow them to adapt, we have adopted a cruel policy of throwing them all in the deep end at the same time. I just hope it doesn't affect the development and confidence of some of these youngsters.

He looks a good prospect and certainly has decent attributes, but I have no idea if he'll make the step up to be a decent player.

Why are some people on here being so fickle and slating him already? If you look towards the start of the thread, most people are praising him for an impressive performance against Donny Rovers! Lancashire is a young lad who is learning the game, he is bound to make a few mistakes.

He has said himself on the OS that it's a big step up and the pace of the game is much quicker and the tempo alot faster than what he has been used to. It's bound to take him some time to come to grips with the step up from reserves to first team.

In the matches against Donny and Norwich (where we kept clean sheets in both) he has shown that he does have potential and could prove to be a useful player for us if given time and the right opportunities.

Some fair points here but what would help him most is having a right-back that is professional football standard next to him. Lloyd James is a decent MIDFIELDER but not a right-back or a full-back, he should not be playing at right-back and even with the financial problems, the club have no excuses for doing so. Teams have worked out our right-hand side is weak and load up accordingly.

It's just ****ing crazy that a 19 year old centre back has to come into the side and 3 out of the back 4 have played 10 games between them. If he was slotting in alongside Perry, with decent full backs who were used to playing together then he'd do much better. Fact is that we haven't had a settled defence since 2003 and until we sort this out, any young layer coming into it is going to look like a fish up a tree and we're going to ship loads of goals.

I remember watching Wayne Bridge initially and thinking that he was off the pace, lightweight and a little slow.

The fact is that they are all learning there trade in no better place.

I think that James and Oliie will both make.

Please give them time and enjoy there development.

If a defender looks slow it is more often the midfield that is at fault. I must say I didn't see the match (and I don't really have to urge to watch the "highlights") but if an attacker can drop into midfield pick up the ball there and then run at the defenders then the defenders will inevitably look slow. The midfield has to make sure that doesn't happen. This is also why Lallana skips past defenders so easily, he's already running when the defenders still have to start because he picks the ball up somewhere inbetween midfield and attack. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that although Lancashire might have looked slow he isn't slow, he was actually picked ahead of Perry against QPR because of his pace, and even though it didn't work out the way JP wanted it was a sensible idea on some level.

I think he will devolp into a very good player at centre back you need experience and as he gains it we will see progress while he is still very young particularly in that position we will see good and bad performances he would really benefit if he can learn his trade with Svenson as his partner we can only hope

Like several players currently in the first team Lancashire just is not ready IMHO.

Of course the chance to bring them through gradually is not a step we seem to be able to take at present.

Perhaps if our loans were experienced defenders it would help Lancashire and Mills etc to watch them in matches and learn in training..........unfortunately this does not appear to be the way the management, or chairman, want to take us !!