Markus Liebherr RIP. All tributes here please.

camdijk

It is strange just how sad this has made me; I never met the guy but I have been genuinely glum all day.

He seemed like one of those chaps that you just knew was a cracker. I would have loved to a sat down and enjoyed a big dinner with him.

I'm off to the ground on Saturday to sign the book; I dare say it will be the first time the Mrs will see me cry :(

RIP Marcus.

Only just heard the sad news of Marcus's death,as I'm abroad.Must confess that it just left me stunned and so so sad,even though I had never met the man.

A real gentleman who lived his life and ran his businesses the decent way,and above all a true Saints fan.

Thank you Marcus for all that you have done for us,you will live long in our memory.

R I P

On behalf of all Blackburn Rovers fans, who went through a similar time when our former owner Jack Walker (Rovers no.1 fan) sadly died, can I offer our condolences to all of you during this tough period of time.

Let's hope Southampton FC carry on his wish and see them rise up the divisions to where they belong.

RIP Markus Liebherr.

On behalf of all Blackburn Rovers fans, who went through a similar time when our former owner Jack Walker (Rovers no.1 fan) sadly died, can I offer our condolences to all of you during this tough period of time.

Let's hope Southampton FC carry on his wish and see them rise up the divisions to where they belong.

RIP Markus Liebherr.

Cheers fella, much appreciated...

Not afraid to admit it but that freeview video on the OS reduced me to tears, in particular the bit where Markus and NC are holding up the red cards at what I assume is the cup games vs the skates.

Been down to the stadium today, laid my shirt from last season down...

39853_10150253731400175_581345174_14506027_7248510_n.jpg

Hope to get down there tomorrow to sign the condolonces book too.

Thanks from me too Markus.

Without you, I doubt we would still have a club to support. That means we owe you everything.

Its just tragic that your time with Saints was cut so short, but at least you were able to see Saints lift a trophy once in your time here.

Hopefully the club will keep the condolences book open for a while - I hope to get over to sign it too.

RIP Markus - and make sure you glance down and keep an eye on us once in a while!

RIP Markus.

You rescued our club when it seemed to be headed to oblivion. You gave us Saints fans reasons to cheer again, reasons to believe again.

Seeing how you were at Wembley showed you loved the club as much as we do.

Thanks for what you have done for Southampton Football Club. I just hope that the team can give you a fitting tribute by becoming as successful as you thought it could be.

Forever a Saint.

I know this will make me sound like a sentimental old fool, but was out with my family whilst on holiday earlier and started to well up during our meal out whilst looking at the tribute photos on the OS.

It's hitting me harder today than it was yesterday.

Unbelievable what a man who I

Never knew can do to one's emotions.

You are a true saint Markus....in more ways than one.

Thanks from me too Markus.

Without you, I doubt we would still have a club to support. That means we owe you everything.

Its just tragic that your time with Saints was cut so short, but at least you were able to see Saints lift a trophy once in your time here.

Hopefully the club will keep the condolences book open for a while - I hope to get over to sign it too.

RIP Markus - and make sure you glance down and keep an eye on us once in a while!

You can write it online, just go to the os

When my little boy had his first birthday in July last year, the circumstances at our club were such that I was genuinely concerned I'd never have the pleasure of taking him to see Saints with me in years to come. The fact that this is now something I assuredly look forward to is entirely due to Markus, and for this gift I cannot thank him enough. RIP my friend.

Found this on you tube. Very fitting tribute.

Lovely tribute. This is just such a bizarre situation IMO.

No one knew him, at all ... yet he has managed to have such an impact on everyone. It was just something about him ... the way he did it, saved us, gave everyone new hope for the future. He is responsible for putting so many smiles back on the faces of Saints fans across the globe. I know it's only money ... but it wasn't just his money - it was him.

I feel like I've lost a grandad ... who I didn't really appreciate or visit often enough and now terribly regret.

That's why it feels bizarre to me. I never knew this man, but I will never forget him. Some say it's just football and maybe it is in the grand scheme of things .. but the knock on effect this guy has had is astounding. Someone should print out this entire thread, laminate and lay it outside SMS.

WIFM

So so sad and shocked - deep condolences to the Liebherr family and a great big thank you to Markus for all you did to save our club and give it back to us. The thanks of the grateful fans and city itself are there for all to see - you have left us far too early but you will not be forgotten. RIP.

Thank you so so much for everything you have done for our team in such a short space of time. You took our club into your heart as much any other true fan of Southampton FC indeed without you there would no longer be a league club in Southampton! RIP Markus a true legend and a gentleman.

I am not ashamed to say that I shed a tear or two this afternoon outside the Stadium when I read some of the wonderful tributes dedicated to the man.

They were more eloquent than anything I can add so I would just like to say 'Thank you Markus' from me, my family and the Southampton FC family and deepest condolences to the Leibherrs..

I am sure you will be looking down on us and taking pictures as we build on your foundations to take the Saints up where we belong

RIP Sir

Markus, there's a lot of Saints fans up there, checking in every week to see how the team's doing - including my Dad and my Sister.

I'm sure they will all welcome you with open arms, just as we did.

Once you join this family, you never leave it - wherever you go.

RIP.

Marcus Liebherr was a kindly figure that we had all clearly taken to our hearts. Life allways has to move on but this is a real blow, particularly of course to his family. What i would love to see, even if its only for one season, that everyone gets 100% behind the team. The most fitting tribute would be for all of us to suspend our whining and just blindly support the team through thick and thin. His passing must surely put the petty moans that any of us may have had properly into perspective. With the spirit of Marcus in mind c.o.y.r

R.I.P Markus, a man with a huge heart, everything that Saints ever go on to do will all be down to you. The changes over the last 12 months have been phenominal, and we are all forever in your debt. Thankyou for giving us our best season for many years, I am just glad the team could repay you with a trophy and a marvellous day out at Wembley, like many people on here one of my most fond memory's of you was watching you taking photos of that spectacular day out. This season is dedicated to you, win it for Markus. A true Saints, a true gentleman, a real legend. WIFM.

Thanks Markus Liebherr for giving us our club back and saving it from the brink of oblivion. You will never be forgotten and will always be loved and respected for that. You Sir were a true saint and legend. Thank you. Condolances and respect to all the family.

Andrew L

(Bath, UK)

I have a fantastic idea. (with thanks for Gaz for the idea)

There have been lots of discussions as to how we should tribute Markus from the forum, so.

How about we take all of the proper tributes from this thread (shouldn't be too hard to compile, if need be i will do it) put them all into a book, a proper book and then send it to the club to be sent on to his family, just to let them know what the great man thought was thought of by the supporters of the club ??

Just a thought, feel free to shoot me down.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})